Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exit poll: The post referendum thread. No electioneering.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

seachto7 wrote: »
    Or else the me me me generation just couldn’t care about others.

If you mean the younger generation then you can't say that. Sure don't you know that billions of them came home to vote Yes???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Billy86 wrote: »
    I only caught it in the background but I THINK I just heard Mattie McGrath say "yes of course" he will respect the vote and work towards enacting it "because I am elected in a democracy".

Ronan Mullen should take note.

Yeah but he also said he'd be pushing for amendments because there should be "respect for all sides". You lost Mattie. Suck it up

• Registered Users Posts: 40,165 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

36% of people either couldn’t care, were on holidays or living abroad ? A higher turnout would have been encouraging.
    A lower turnout for the marriage referendum suggests isn’t as liberal and progressive as it would like to think. Or else the me me me generation just couldn’t care about others.

Practically the same as the turnout for the last general election. There is always a cohort of people who never vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

36% of people either couldn’t care, were on holidays or living abroad ? A higher turnout would have been encouraging.
    A lower turnout for the marriage referendum suggests Ireland isn’t as liberal and progressive as it would like to think. Or else the me me me generation just couldn’t care about others.

Got me thinking about how we stack up against the UK/rest of Europe/internationally in terms of voter turnout.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭BarleySweets

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    No, you’re wrong.

How so?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

eviltwin wrote: »
    I was at the Savita mural in Dublin today. .

I'm going to dublin tomorrow, where abouts is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,443 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Mattie McGrath sounding like he will not stop the will of the people and will be engaging constructively in the process.

I hope that's true. The only person I had any real dislike of on the no side was Ronan Mullen. I dislike him a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭vg88

64% turnout is disappointing no? And a 66% Yes is also disappointing.... at least it passed

Until there is a reform of the way we vote, i.e. postal voting, online voting, proxy voting, able to vote in embassies etc. We will never see anything IMO higher than 65% as one day of voting is impossible to get everyone in.

In today's age I really wish we could do a better voting system than only having your name crossed out with a pencil and using a pencil to put a square in a box beside the place you live.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,135 ✭✭✭✭Water John

You mean if Savita was in her home country, she'd be alive today.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

How so?

Read my earlier posts, and have a look at the replies. All of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,290 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Bernard Shaw in portobello

• Registered Users Posts: 40,165 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Mattie McGrath sounding like he will not stop the will of the people and will be engaging constructively in the process.

I hope that's true. The only person I had any real dislike of on the no side was Ronan Mullen. I dislike him a lot.

I bet you it's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

South Richmond Street beside the Eatyard. Top of Camden St.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

A lower turnout for the marriage referendum suggests Ireland isn’t as liberal and progressive as it would like to think. Or else the me me me generation just couldn’t care about others.

Half of them could be dead, sick, moved abroad, double registered etc etc, there will never be a 100% turn out.

I recieved 2 polling cards and a polling card for somebody who hasnt lived at this address in years.

The register is a mess as far as I can tell, and Id say this is a great turnout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

You left out India and China from countries with abortion rights. Why?
    Can you please stop lying? This isn't the first time on this matter you have on this matter. China is right there in the list.

India does not allow it 'on request' and so is not offering 'full abortion rights' as I mentioned.

So let's make a list of countries that allow in all instances except 'on request': United Kingdom, Japan, India, Zambia, Finland, Iceland, Barbados, St. Vincent and the Grenadines

Now, by intentionally not answering you've already admitted you were wrong and that the list of countries who allow full abortion rights would on average be far better to live in, so let's do the same again here. If you were told tomorrow you had to live in a random country out of one of the following lists, which list would you go for?

List A: United Kingdom, Japan, India, Zambia, Finland, Iceland, Barbados, St. Vincent and the Grenadines

or

List B: Angola, Central African Republic, Republic of the Congo, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Gabon, São Tomé and Príncipe, South Sudan, Egypt, Libya, Lesotho, Djibouti, Madagascar, Malawi, Mauritius, Somalia, Iraq, Andorra, San Marino, Lebanon, Syria, Yemen, Lesotho, Guatemala, Honduras, Paraguay, Suriname, Venezuela, Tonga, Tuvalu, Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands, Micronesia, Marshall Islands, Kiribati, Palau.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Donegal is the only constituent to vote NO of the 39, and it was very close
    YES (48.1%)32,559
    NO (51.9%)35,091
    Overall not bad eh :)

Yeah but he also said he'd be pushing for amendments because there should be "respect for all sides". You lost Mattie. Suck it up

Ah ok, missed that part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Women of Ireland we've done ourselves proud, and to all the gentlemen who voted yes, thank you for caring about us.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Itssoeasy wrote: »

"The will of the people"

Stop with the brexiteer absolutism.

Ths issue now has to be dealt with like any other legislation in the dail and all TDs are free to support it, oppose it or try to amend it.

Mattie thinks it going to get him votes in his own constituency and that is his chief consideration. The next election will tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

The other thread was locked yesterday but now that the votes have been counted its beyond certain that yes have won at an absolute landslide i would like to say congratulations to everyone that voted to democratically change the 8th ammendment of the constitution. You all played such an important part on such a historic occasion for this country. I hope all those who voted no can accept the results gracefully and with dignity they also used their democratic mandate to vote for what they believed in but yes won out by a comfortable margin in the end so there can be very little complaints the majority have voted yes in a free democratic election its a very proud day for this country.

• Advertisement

Again India and China are bad choices due to reasons of female infanticide in these countries. Very bad choices. I will post seperately on the topic.

You are making a terrible argument for abortion by using countries like India and China as examples.

You also fail to understand that most of the civilised countries with abortion such as Japan are struggling with low birth rates which will have disastrous consequences in future decades.

Free abortion rights or not.
    I see you've now edited your entire post. I never mentioned India, not sure why you're trying to say that's a bad choice? The argument is about which is a better country to live in and try to emulate on such matters.

You yourself already agreed that countries with free abortion rights are significantly more civil and better on average to live in that those with abortion laws similar to ours now by way of your refusing to answer. The argument is over unless you want to try and address that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

cowbell-percussion-instrument-3D-model_0.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭keith_sixteen

Graces7 wrote: »
    Mayo low too; I think the highest NO

And? They voted yes? Why single them out as the "highest NO". More people voted YES...

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Read my earlier posts, and have a look at the replies. All of them.

Many find it far more convenient to pop in and out as suits, unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Trasna1

So you opened after hours and thought to yourself "I know what this place needs, another thread on the referendum"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

Billy86 wrote: »
    Can you please stop lying? This isn't the first time on this matter you have on this matter. China is right there in the list.

India does not allow it 'on request' and so is not offering 'full abortion rights' as I mentioned.

So let's make a list of countries that allow in all instances except 'on request': United Kingdom, Japan, India, Zambia, Finland, Iceland, Barbados, St. Vincent and the Grenadines

Now, by intentionally not answering you've already admitted you were wrong and that the list of countries who allow full abortion rights would on average be far better to live in, so let's do the same again here. If you were told tomorrow you had to live in a random country out of one of the following lists, which list would you go for?

List A: United Kingdom, Japan, India, Zambia, Finland, Iceland, Barbados, St. Vincent and the Grenadines

or

List B: Angola, Central African Republic, Republic of the Congo, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Gabon, São Tomé and Príncipe, South Sudan, Egypt, Libya, Lesotho, Djibouti, Madagascar, Malawi, Mauritius, Somalia, Iraq, Andorra, San Marino, Lebanon, Syria, Yemen, Lesotho, Guatemala, Honduras, Paraguay, Suriname, Venezuela, Tonga, Tuvalu, Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands, Micronesia, Marshall Islands, Kiribati, Palau.

If i was female certainly not to be conceived in China or India.
    In fact I wouldn't like to be conceived/born/live in any country on list A because there would be a reasonable prospect of not being allowed to exist. That's fairly logical don't you think.

I'd choose perhaps the one country where i'd have the best chance of avoiding being aborted, surviving until birth and living a reasonably prosperous life. In other words Ireland as it currently stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

I know that legislation will take time to be drafted, debated, voted, etc.

But, what happens to the constitution?

Has the referendum applied with immediate effect, or does Higgins have to sign it into law, etc.

How does that work?

Mutant z wrote: »
    I hope all those who voted no can accept the results gracefully and with dignity

Oh, the ironing!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,481 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

So the government can now legislate for "Abortion for Convenience" up to 12 weeks?

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 218 ✭✭A Pint of Goo

The ****ing thing is finally over and now I have to endure weeks of back slapping and self congratulation.

Back to my cave I go.

Advertisement