Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exit poll: The post referendum thread. No electioneering.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,386 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Grayson wrote: »
    I just saw this

https://twitter.com/jshocds/status/999974760414052352

When the right lose they always see conspiracies and claim the vote wasn't fair.

Couldn't make it up - reclassified as British lmao

• Registered Users Posts: 82,184 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Sheeps wrote: »
    That's not true.

No they really understand the terms. And they don't even take it.

Also the Hippocratic Oath doesn't say anywhere "first, do no harm."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

That's not true.

If you don’t wish to educate yourself no one else can help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,171 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

sdanseo wrote: »
    I'm a bit confused by the "Home to Vote" thing. The DFA clearly says on its website that people must be ordinarily resident in Ireland to be on the register of electors.
    Yet many politicians seem to be openly endorsing it and the rule seems to be wholsale ignored and unenforced.

I do support citizens being allowed to return and vote for referenda by the way. It just seems strange that unless I'm missing something, there seems to be so much flouting of a pretty basic law to an extent that could well have influence the result (although not significantly enough to affect the outcome).

There's an 18 month rule.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/abroad/the-vote-returning-emigrants-warned-of-18-month-rule-1.3505885

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

If you don’t wish to educate yourself no one else can help you.

I'm very well educated. You're choosing to rationalise abortion by dehumanising the foetus. The foetus may not be a conscious sentient being, but it certainly is alive, regardless of a dependency on being hosted in a womb. It is with certainty that when you take an abortion pill it is killed. To claim otherwise is pure ignorance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,764 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Why is Simon Harris and Leo being haled as loveable heroes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

They understand the terms used unlike you. No one is killed during an abortion.

And therein lies the debate.....and so we go round and round again :eek:

I'm very well educated. You're choosing to rationalise abortion by dehumanising the foetus. The foetus may not be a conscious sentient being, but it certainly is alive, and it certainly is killed when you take an abortion pill. To claim otherwise is pure ignorance.

So is sperm and eggs. So you’ve never had a **** or a wet dream? No need to answer because I know you have killed billions of living things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Abortion for any reason I would of thought. The yes do seem to fixated on averting any discussion of an actual topic by tediously trying to rephrase labels. The are so cuddly and great, who's coming out with me to faux celebrate the greatest day in out history, while we cry and throw meaningless slogans around? Apparently at some point today, women went from having no rights to loads of rights. Up the Republic...and er...women's rights I think?

So both "abortion on demand" and "social abortion" mean the same thing - i.e. Abortion for any reason.

And you're the one moaning about meaningless slogans?

I'm very well educated.
    Then you know the vast majority of MDs and nurses don't take the Hippocratic Oath and it doesn't state, "do no harm."

So why bring it up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

I'm very well educated. You're choosing to rationalise abortion by dehumanising the foetus. The foetus may not be a conscious sentient being, but it certainly is alive, regardless of a dependency on being hosted in a womb. It is with certainty that when you take an abortion pill it is killed. To claim otherwise is pure ignorance.

I wouldn't even debate with your one. Just throws well refuted soundbites out

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Abortion for any reason I would of thought. The yes do seem to fixated on averting any discussion of an actual topic by tediously trying to rephrase labels. They are so cuddly and great, who's coming out with me to faux celebrate the greatest day in our history, while we cry and throw meaningless slogans around? Apparently at some point today, women went from having no rights to loads of rights. Up the Republic...and er...women's rights I think?

Why do you hate everyone? If it helps just think of them as really really stretched out foetus’. You might like them then.

And therein lies the debate.....and so we go round and round again :eek:

You’re not going to get a third referendum to reimplement the 8th no matter what you believe. Ireland has moved on.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,238 ✭✭✭✭Water John

See on Sky News that Teresa May is now coming under pressure to legislate for NI. Parliament legislated for the BVI about Company Law. That's the precedence.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,136 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Water John wrote: »
    Ah that's what happened. Most of those who were going to vote no, were taken off the Register.

But maybe these old people were identified as Yes voters and that's why they were disenfranchised? :pac:

So is sperm and eggs. So you’ve never had a **** or a wet dream? No need to answer because I know you have killed billions of living things.
    Correct, if you've ever had a **** your sperm that are very much alive will die. When you impregnate someone, most of your sperm will die. This is a fact, to contest otherwise is simply ridiculous.

The only question that remains is where you draw the line at what stage of development you're ok with killing the organism. I asked a question about whether doctors who have taken the hippocratic oath and where they draw that line.

fxotoole wrote: »
    So both "abortion on demand" and "social abortion" mean the same thing - i.e. Abortion for any reason.

And you're the one moaning about meaningless slogans?

Well I would of thought so? Want to start an abstract debate about which side is really "pro-life" while we're at it?

Correct, if you've ever had a **** your sperm that are very much alive will die. When you impregnate someone, most of your sperm will die. This is a fact, to contest otherwise is simply ridiculous.

The only question that remains is where you draw the line at what stage of development you're ok with killing the organism.

Then, what is your line? Is the MAP murder? Is the 28-day pill? Are IUDs?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,347 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Why is Simon Harris and Leo being hailed as loveable heroes

SH : Won a key debate at a crucial point in the campaign.
    LV : I think you're exaggerating the hailed as loveable hero part : But in general he is probably the most successful Taoiseach of any of our lifetimes, low bar as that is.

The only question that remains is where you draw the line at what stage of development you're ok with killing the organism.

That’s what the No side have to get their head around. Without living sperm and egg, conception can’t happen. Therefore, they should be campaigning to stop periods and ****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,337 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Water John wrote: »
    See on Sky News that Teresa May is now coming under pressure to legislate for NI. Parliament legislated for the BVI about Company Law. That's the precedence.

She won't touch it with a bargepole. That's just Sky News stirring.

That’s what the No side have to get their head around. Without living sperm and egg, conception can’t happen. Therefore, they should be campaigning to stop periods and ****.

Great point, very well made. I think the pro-choice side should have had you up on the podium.

Overheal wrote: »
    Then, what is your line? Is the MAP murder? Is the 28-day pill? Are IUDs?

I don't feel comfortable with 12 weeks. I don't feel like I'm alone on this, given that 49% of people stated in exit poles that they also didn't feel comfortable with the proposed 12 weeks on request.

8 to 10 weeks is a far more palatable to me depending on the stage of development and health of the foetus.

Great point, very well made. I think the pro-choice side should have had you up on the podium.

Pro-choice side already won, my dude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

AllForIt wrote: »
    She won't touch it with a bargepole. That's just Sky News stirring.

She may use it as a threat to get the DUP back to the table with SF.

Or Labour could use it to stir the pot.

Overheal wrote: »
    Pro-choice side already won, my dude.

I'm sure they would of won 100%-0%, had a certain poster brought her original and insightful take on the issue to the mass audience

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

SO dignified.

8_A634833-4435-4261-92_D0-_EC8_CCB8_D6201.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

I don't feel comfortable with 12 weeks. I don't feel like I'm alone on this, given that 49% of people stated in exit poles that they also didn't feel comfortable with the proposed 12 weeks on request.

8 to 10 weeks is a far more palatable to me depending on the stage of development and health of the foetus.

So 8 weeks from lmp is 6 weeks really. Most women are only finding out they're pregnant then.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Interesting to note. This is the main headline on Sky, BBC, most other UK sites, CBS, ABC. First headline on the international version of CNBC news, second headline on FOX world news and so on.

For a little country we seem to have a lot of influence or at least spark a lot of interest.

• Advertisement

Is that what the no side really think? Or is that just what you think the no side really think? Can you honestly say you've tried to understand the no side's point of view in this or have you one of the 79% of people who've had their minds made up since before the referendum was announced?

Advertisement