Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Cadetship - 2018

Options
  • 16-04-2018 8:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭

I've seen a few people state that IAG are not interested in the Cadetship anymore. It's not running this year (as far as I know), I'm wondering about the future. Does anyone here think that it'll be back? I'd be 100% interested if it did come back.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

Mahony0509 wrote: »
    I've seen a few people state that IAG are not interested in the Cadetship anymore. It's not running this year (as far as I know), I'm wondering about the future. Does anyone here think that it'll be back? I'd be 100% interested if it did come back.

I'm quite confident we will see it again. Unsure whether it will be fully funded as before though. It's a big cost outlay to run it which is probably why the management have been reluctant to go ahead with it. Those in the airline who understand the huge benefits of running a cadet scheme are working hard to find a model that will appeal to the accountants without deterring potential applicants.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

it's good for at least three more years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭Bsal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭John_Mc

moloner4 wrote: »
    It says this on the application. Is experience needed?

In order to apply for this vacancy, you must be able to supply the required answers to the following questions:

Do you hold an ATPL or CPL (Licence)?

No not required, might even work against you. If you have an ATPL you should be applying for direct entry I'd imagine?

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭nerobert

It also says you must be able to state wether you are colour blind. How would you know if you were or not? I've looked at them tests online and I can see most of them alright but there's a few that catch me out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭faoiarvok

nerobert wrote: »
    It also says you must be able to state wether you are colour blind. How would you know if you were or not? I've looked at them tests online and I can see most of them alright but there's a few that catch me out

Free eye test in Specsavers.

Edit: Be aware they’re not experts in the requirements, I know someone who was distraught after they told her “you’ll never be a pilot” as an off-hand comment, but has since been reassured that her eyesight is acceptable. Colour blindness should be pretty apparent though.

I did a class 2 medical with eye test for PPL training before and it involved pretty much what this online test does except in physical form.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭nerobert

John_Mc wrote: »
    I did a class 2 medical with eye test for PPL training before and it involved pretty much what this online test does except in physical form.

Done the test. Says I'm a mild proton. Hopefully this doesn't rule me out.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭faoiarvok

Done the test. Says I'm a mild proton. Hopefully this doesn't rule me out.

Go do a real in-person test, don't trust a test on a website selling glasses to improve colour vision, viewed on a screen whose colours/brightness/contrast could be off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

Have applied anyway, anyone know the intake numbers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

I took that test just now, says I too have a mild proton, sounds like it's a scam, wants you to sign up for more tests. I would not rely on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

I wanted to apply but I really need a godlod leaving cert. 2 higher level subject's etc. Or a degree.

I have neither :( there goes that far fetched dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭irishkopite 2011

Does anybody know how strict they are with the educational requirements, I would like to apply but only did one higher level. I intent to email them tomorrow ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Does anybody know how strict they are with the educational requirements, I would like to apply but only did one higher level. I intent to email them tomorrow ask.

Please let me know on their reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭rudders

Very strick, you will be asked to provide evidence you meet the requirements at interview.

They're going to have thousands of applicants. They will definitely be 100% strict on any requirements

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭1123heavy

faoiarvok wrote: »
    Free eye test in Specsavers.

Edit: Be aware they’re not experts in the requirements, I know someone who was distraught after they told her “you’ll never be a pilot” as an off-hand comment, but has since been reassured that her eyesight is acceptable. Colour blindness should be pretty apparent though.

It is not a free test. 15eu for the privilege 2 years ago don't know what it is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

roundymac wrote: »
    I took that test just now, says I too have a mild proton, sounds like it's a scam, wants you to sign up for more tests. I would not rely on it.

I took it just now, says my color vision is normal, however it was a tough test, your typical ishihara test book that they have in the AME centers is a lot clearer

• Registered Users Posts: 3 MaserGreat

Hi All,

Just wondering what the experience level is of people who are going for the cadet-ship. I'm feeling very disheartened about my chances. But if you're not in you cant win, as they say!

I have a good leaving cert (all honours) and an level 8 university degree. I've worked within the Aer Lingus organisation for 2 years now, but lots of hearsay that already working with them puts you at a disadvantage! My professional background is more management based, very little aviation experience outside of a brief stint as cabin crew and a few flying lessons. No engineering or mathematics based experience.

I'm wondering what sort of experience they're looking out for, maybe someone who has gone through the process can shed some light so I can perhaps better tailor my CV for selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭ohlordy

MaserGreat wrote: »
    Hi All,

Just wondering what the experience level is of people who are going for the cadet-ship. I'm feeling very disheartened about my chances. But if you're not in you cant win, as they say!

I have a good leaving cert (all honours) and an level 8 university degree. I've worked within the Aer Lingus organisation for 2 years now, but lots of hearsay that already working with them puts you at a disadvantage! My professional background is more management based, very little aviation experience outside of a brief stint as cabin crew and a few flying lessons. No engineering or mathematics based experience.

I'm wondering what sort of experience they're looking out for, maybe someone who has gone through the process can shed some light so I can perhaps better tailor my CV for selection.

I got to last 24 or so in 2016.
    I did nothing to spruce up my CV.
    I had the educational necessities, no work experience in the industry (loads of work in other industries)

I believe the online tests that every applicant was asked to complete as first stage reduced the numbers hugely, you will either be able to do well in these or you won't, your prior experience or knowledge won't help.

If you get through these I found the process was largely personality based, if you seemed likeable and confident at every stage you did well, again having little or nothing to do with prior knowledge or experience.

Obviously, being able to discuss your reasons for wanting to be a pilot was necessary. And having some level of knowledge of the aviation industry in general and Aer Lingus in particular. But there was only approx 150 people left in the competition by the time any of this needed to be demonstrated.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

MaserGreat wrote: »
    ............I've worked within the Aer Lingus organisation for 2 years now, but lots of hearsay that already working with them puts you at a disadvantage! My professional background is more management based, very little aviation experience outside of a brief stint as cabin crew and a few flying lessons.......
    In the past EI were very loathe to hire cadets or direct entry internally. There was a culture of “stay in your box”.
    I can’t say with certainty but I would be skeptical of that old chestnut. Personally I know of 2 ex Cabin crew and 2 ex engineering staff who have become flight crew over the last 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Kuyashi

Hi all,

As a mature student I would have completed my LC 12+ years ago.
    I meet the LC educational requirements except for the math component. However, since then I've completed 2 Level 6 Diplomas( both with Math and Physics components), and I am now in the middle of a Level 8 degree in Computer science degree( heavy in Maths with some physics).

On the assumption of doing well on the aptitude test, do you think there would be any room for maneuvering considering my education since LC to date?

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭ohlordy

moloner4 wrote: »
    Would the online test be Aer Lingus own test or similar to E-Cut online assessment tests?

I know nothing about e-cut, I didn't practise any tests

There was an opportunity to practise each online test before taking the test

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

One thing EI does like is repeat appliers; at least four engineers, one flight ops and at least two cabin crew that I personally know of have got in, in very recent years. All of them have tried more than once to get in....the entry process is designed to filter out people as early as possible, so that it doesn't really matter if 10,000 apply for it. That number will be chopped dramatically as each stage advances, so that in short order, it will be down to a few hundred and that will be down to double figures by the close of the second interview phase. Every applicant should read the entry conditions CLOSELY. If necessary, go over it with your careers guidance teacher (or similar) a few times until you know if you have what is needed. If you get called for interview, be certain that you have all of the relevant documentation. You will be chopped if you don't. Don't risk losing a slot because you failed to get a copy of a birth cert or a driving license. Also, when you are asked technical questions about aircraft and flying, they are not pitched at genius level. They just want you to show that you understand some of the basics and have made the effort, as well as demonstrating a genuine interest and an ability to learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Tristan100

Can anyone provide information on the aptitude test?
    Is it a typical aptitude test or one specific to pilots?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Roar83

Any idea what flight school it will be at? Could it be a change from FTE?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

Roar83 wrote: »
    Any idea what flight school it will be at? Could it be a change from FTE?

Don't think it will change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 fc210

Does anyone know if there is a maximum age restriction for the current pilot cadet programme.

Just over 40yrs. Qualified electrician. Have approx 10 hrs ppl training but it was done back in 2003. Then put on hold to buy house, get married, have kids.

Currently back studying for ppl groundscool exams to get them out of way before I resume the hands on training.

Also if anyone would have any idea of the starting salary as first officer with EI following training under the fully sponsored cadet programme. Also would like to know more sbout the type of bond EI will hold you to.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Kuyashi

Has anyone who sent their initial application in - received the online exercises? If so, what do they entail?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

How many places up for grabs and how many expected applicants? I've thrown my hat in the ring as I'm 30 years old and regardless of whether I get this or not the plan is to be flying commercially by 35 years of age and always has been. At the moment out in Oz working in Finance but I would give it all up and be back home in a heartbeat for this opportunity.

Best of luck to everyone applying.

Advertisement