Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aer Lingus Cadetship - 2018

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

youoweme wrote: »
    Personally i think its a  disgrace on AL's part not to have informed those who were unsuccessful before the next stage begins.

im not bitter about not being called i just think its common courtesy to thank people for applying and let them know their fate.
    Good luck to all who got through!

Your absolutly correct. Fully agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 EIHopeful

It's a bit gutting but we signed up to something that was most likely going to disappoint! Vast numbers apply and they clearly don't employ enough people to manage that number of applications. Their priority (and instructions) is to get their cadets and clean up the splatter when they have the time later. It's like this every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 jenni_495

Not to be getting ahead of myself but if you are successful at this interview/ assessment stage is there more stages afterwards or is it just the medical?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Planes 1997

jenni_495 wrote: »
    Not to be getting ahead of myself but if you are successful at this interview/ assessment stage is there more stages afterwards or is it just the medical?

Did you get an assessment date? I believe you would be correct with that. I have heard from a reliable source EI are looking to take on 40 cadets but obviously not at the same time due to restriction in class size

Taking on 24. 12 in November and 12 in January. Running the recruitment stage as 1 group so don't anyone get their hopes up that the calls might be staggered.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 km2806

EIHopeful wrote: »
    Taking on 24. 12 in November and 12 in January. Running the recruitment stage as 1 group so don't anyone get their hopes up that the calls might be staggered.
    Is this what they have done in previous years? Did you hear this from someone who has gone through the programme?

Any word?? Getting impatient now.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 cormacc

Any word?? Getting impatient now.
    According to pprune people are still getting rejections and the no call/ no email are reserves with a handful of people to be called next week. Also, someone said they never completed the online assessments and is also in the no call/ no email.
    I don't know how true the reserves thing is as no one has commented about getting a call since the start of the week. 
    The assessment center dates were for this week and next week so if we don't hear by the end of next week, most likely we won't hear anything and its like when you apply for a job and they never get back to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭irishejit

Can't believe it!! Just got a call to attend the centre on Monday. I'd thought that was it for me this year.

So don't be despondent, you may still hear!!

Delighted for you! I'd say the adrenaline was pumping on that phone call! Well done, fingers crossed for the rest of us!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Dazzler91

irishejit wrote: »
    Can't believe it!! Just got a call to attend the centre on Monday. I'd thought that was it for me this year.

Congratulations Pal, hope you do well after they left you stressing so long

irishejit wrote: »

Congratulations! I was quickly losing hope this week hearing nothing, fingers crossed a few more get the call.
    Best of luck with the interview!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 BBD68822

Is that confirmed?

It's what I heard from a fairly good source. Nothing is certain with this process I feel!

My own analysis; They had 24 in each day of the current stage, 10 days, 240 total and based on what I heard from someone that was in on Monday they seem to be taking between 3 and 4 from each day. This will leave them with a pool of approx 30 to 40 at the end from which they will take 24 cadets.

Roughly a 70% success rate from their pool of say 35, gives them a margin for medical failures etc. I'd say that's close but who knows.

Miss call from *+353 (1) 213 1500‬ hardly EI is it? No voicemail was left and keeps ringing out

Miss call from *+353 (1) 213 1500‬ hardly EI is it? No voicemail was left and keeps ringing out
    EI is an 886 number. Sorry...

It's what I heard from a fairly good source. Nothing is certain with this process I feel!

My own analysis; They had 24 in each day of the current stage, 10 days, 240 total and based on what I heard from someone that was in on Monday they seem to be taking between 3 and 4 from each day. This will leave them with a pool of approx 30 to 40 at the end from which they will take 24 cadets.

Roughly a 70% success rate from their pool of say 35, gives them a margin for medical failures etc. I'd say that's close but who knows.
    Have they ever run 2 courses in one year like this before? 24 each day with a 10% pass rate. cut throat!

Yeah, it's horribly cut-throat! Having 2 courses in one year is unprecedented I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Final07RBT

Spoke recently to a close friend who attended Monday, says there were 7800 applications cut down to 234 over 10 days

They did two tasks in the morning and then the top 50% made it to the afternoon for an interview

Two intakes nov and jan.

• Advertisement

Anyone hear anything today?

Anyone hear anything today?
    Heard nothing but highly doubt it will be good news at this stage!

Based on the fact that there's a January course, does anyone think they might have a second round of calls for next stage?

Based on the fact that there's a January course, does anyone think they might have a second round of calls for next stage?

From what they said yesterday they are selecting the 24 now, with them getting job offers in September, and then starting the two groups in November and January.

As you can probably tell, I got sent home at half time and didn't make it to the afternoon interviews.

Was brutal getting told, we were each brought into a room in groups of 5 or 6 and told our fate, britains got talent style.

The main thing they kept hammering into us was to have your research done, that very few ever make it through on the first attempt, and to keep trying and trying. They made the point that one of the Training Captains in the room on the day had tried 5 times before he was accepted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭goblin59

what research were they on about?

3 days before the final assessment date and still no call or email. I feel this is just really bad organisation by Aer Lingus at this point and almost cruel to the people they've left in limbo.

• Advertisement

goblin59 wrote: »
    what research were they on about?

They didn't say specifically, but I went in having studied some company background and brushed up on some general aviation knowledge. It wouldn't be fair to go into any further detail at this point.

Dazzler91 wrote: »
    3 days before the final assessment date and still no call or email. I feel this is just really bad organisation by Aer Lingus at this point and almost cruel to the people they've left in limbo.
    I find it worse that some people got rejection emails and the rest of us haven't heard a thing. It doesn't make sense to me sending a few rejections here and there as opposed to letting everyone know.

cormacc wrote: »
    I find it worse that some people got rejection emails and the rest of us haven't heard a thing. It doesn't make sense to me sending a few rejections here and there as opposed to letting everyone know.

I know, I find it very odd, as if some people just got tossed in the bin without word at all, like maybe there's something coming but it's very bad organizing

If everyone not called about an assessment by now is rejected, I'd like to know how they decided to contact some with rejections and not others

If everyone not called about an assessment by now is rejected, I'd like to know how they decided to contact some with rejections and not others

Got my rejection today @4:30pm Irish time

• Advertisement

Hard luck Cormac. Mad that they're still sending them- I assumed the rejection emails had stopped while they dealt with this stage.

Got my rejection today @4:30pm Irish time

Hard luck mate, it's just waiting for mine also at this point ha

With 7800 people applying, they're going to prioritize organising the assessment centres with the candidates who have scored well enough to progress to there well in advance of speaking to those who have not been progressed. They are then, more than likely, going to prioritize anyone who has been to the afternoon interviews at the assessment centre to be updated. 
    Most companies operate an approach of "if you have not heard back from us within a certain timeframe, assume that you have been unsuccessful". I know it's frustrating not to be called, but only 3% were progressed to the assessment centre. With so much manpower and expense being invested in this project, they're going to work with that pool ahead of those who dont meet the expectation.
    I went to the assessment centre for a previous cadetship with EI years ago and didn't hear back until December that I was unsuccessful, at that stage, the cadets were in Jerez weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 sam85

Technically speaking, the amount of people having applied and the priorities of the HR team should not delay negative answers once those proceeding to the next round are known. That is, unless their HR systems are so old they cannot send out bulk emails to unsuccessful applicants and they insist on doing things manually rather than asking an IT person to the rescue. Imagine HR having to copy/paste the same email to +7500 candidates...

BBD68822 wrote: »
    With 7800 people applying, they're going to prioritize organising the assessment centres with the candidates who have scored well enough to progress to there well in advance of speaking to those who have not been progressed. They are then, more than likely, going to prioritize anyone who has been to the afternoon interviews at the assessment centre to be updated. 
    Most companies operate an approach of "if you have not heard back from us within a certain timeframe, assume that you have been unsuccessful". I know it's frustrating not to be called, but only 3% were progressed to the assessment centre. With so much manpower and expense being invested in this project, they're going to work with that pool ahead of those who dont meet the expectation.
    I went to the assessment centre for a previous cadetship with EI years ago and didn't hear back until December that I was unsuccessful, at that stage, the cadets were in Jerez weeks!

Yeah that really doesn't make sense as the rejection email can be sent in one easy click to multiple people, it's bad management and disregard for organisation, and while I agree, priority must be those moving forward. Respect for those who applied is also a major priority and shows a disheartening attitude from Are Lingus

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭CoisFharraige

Dazzler91 wrote: »
    Yeah that really doesn't make sense as the rejection email can be sent in one easy click to multiple people, it's bad management and disregard for organisation, and while I agree, priority must be those moving forward. Respect for those who applied is also a major priority and shows a disheartening attitude from Are Lingus

I get where you're coming from, but if they're the only major airline right now running this for absolutely no cost to the future pilots, I think that they have the right to treat applicants as they wish, albeit slightly unprofessionally one could say.

I get where your coming from, but if they're the only major airline right now running this for absolutely no cost to the future pilots, I think that they have the right to treat applicants as they wish, albeit slightly unprofessionally one could say.

Totally agree with this perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭mikel97

The entire experience was bit strange for me.

Im 20, zero flying hours, no connections with the company, not flown much on them, no college really just courses, not Irish and I manage go all way and my friend Irish 24 was in biz study, parents in company, didnt get true.
    Interview very friendly not really too formal.
    Dunno if they finish process yet hope not for you guys. 2 I know not taking it after all their efforts.
    Dont give up try again n again.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭CoisFharraige

mikel97 wrote: »

Im 20, zero flying hours, no connections with the company, not flown much on them, no college really just courses, not Irish and I manage go all way and my friend Irish 24 was in biz study, parents in company, didnt get true.
    Dunno if they finish process yet hope not for you guys. 2 I know not taking it after all their efforts.

That's nice to hear that you're just some randomer without any prior knowledge (without sounding condescending) and did well! Fair play to you. Best wishes

mikel97 wrote: »

If you take a look at the background of the people they've taken in the past, some will have industry experience and some will have absolutely none. I think that their mindset is to take a wide mix of experience and competencies. When you think about it, you dont need to know anything about flying, you'll learn that. You do need to have the maturity and transferable skills and be lucky enough to get through the online assessments. I guess that your buddy with the parents in the company didnt prep enough to get through? That said,  it certainly isnt a walk in the park!, the way that they chose the people for the afternoon interview..you'd need thick skin!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

BBD68822 wrote: »

Not good enough from AL. As a common courtesy they should let people know as soon as possible they are unsuccessful. They know the top achievers at this stage and likely did so in the first few weeks. They have the data and its easy nowadays to send a simple generic rejection email in bulk to a mailing list instead of giving people false hope. Its actually ridiculous that this hasnt been done in a programme like this in 2018.

My feeling is something has fudged up somewhere hence many are stuck in limbo.

They don't owe us anything. All companies are self-interested and set their priorities based on efficiencies and profit. Employing enough people in the recruitment department to manage 7800 applicants would be highly in-efficient and there'd be a lot of people twiddling their thumbs for the remainder of the year. I agree that it should be a simple 'send to all' email. It's best to go into this process knowing that it wont work out.

24/7800 = .3% chance of success. Maybe .5% if you subtract the dreamers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 COR11

They don't owe us anything. All companies are self-interested and set their priorities based on efficiencies and profit. Employing enough people in the recruitment department to manage 7800 applicants would be highly in-efficient and there'd be a lot of people twiddling their thumbs for the remainder of the year. I agree that it should be a simple 'send to all' email. It's best to go into this process knowing that it wont work out.

24/7800 = .3% chance of success. Maybe .5% if you subtract the dreamers.

Surely the company that organise the assessments have a computer programme to go through the results and turf out the ones that were below par, a send to all email for anyone on that list wouldn’t be difficult, you make it sound like they’d need to hire hundreds in order to hand write letters of rejection

But that said, I’ve been stuck abroad for the last 2 days because an AL crew member was ill and they couldn’t bring everyone on the flight, zero contact from them to apologise or to confirm my new flight home tonight, all I know is a bus is coming to the hotel tonight but I found that out through reception so I think poor contact is a general AL thing not just for this

Not EIs fault. Northgate are the recruitment agency they use and they are the ones who didn’t bother to let us know.

COR11 wrote: »
    Surely the company that organise the assessments have a computer programme to go through the results and turf out the ones that were below par, a send to all email for anyone on that list wouldn’t be difficult, you make it sound like they’d need to hire hundreds in order to hand write letters of rejection

But that said, I’ve been stuck abroad for the last 2 days because an AL crew member was ill and they couldn’t bring everyone on the flight, zero contact from them to apologise or to confirm my new flight home tonight, all I know is a bus is coming to the hotel tonight but I found that out through reception so I think poor contact is a general AL thing not just for this

Yeah I agree that it should be simple, we're just not a priority.

Ladies and Gents, last day of assessments and for us in the no call no email camp STILL, I think its clear what this means.....basically we're so amazing they don't need to interview us and we are in :P

I didn't even get called to the Group assessment stage but my mummy told me that they're the ones missing out and she's never wrong about anything so I win

I didn't even get called to the Group assessment stage but my mummy told me that they're the ones missing out and she's never wrong about anything so I win

Hey pal, we'll start our own Airline and show them what they're missing out on, my mammy said I was probably too good and would upset the other candidates :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

PFO received. Over and out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭goblin59

PFO?

Advertisement