Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2018 NFL Offseason Trades and Free Agent News

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭Blut2

April 26th-28th. So only 3 weeks away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    From 2012-2014 GB drafted three all pro DBs (Hayward 2012, Hyde 2013, Dix 2014). Yet the genius that is Dom Capers made such a balls of that much talent that in 2015 we had to go for DBs in rounds 1 and 2, and the same again in 2017. In the middle of this we also let Charles Woodson go because once he was past arguably GOAT DB levels he looked old, past it and a bit of a liability under Capers... and surely enough, he went all pro back in Oakland too! We all know who the problem was. Thankfully he's finally, FINALLY been sent into retirement.

How often teams have THREE all pros in their secondary and a pro bowler to go with them (Shields until 2016), seriously? Last year's Jaguars didn't, last year's Vikings didn't, the 2015 Broncos did, and the 2013 Seahawks did. They're the only two teams I can think of this decade to have that.

If you want to know how Dom Capers performs when his secondary is not littered with all pro talent, the last two years are great examples. This is the average stat line of a QB against us over those years: 22.5-of-34 (66.2% completion), 253 yards, 1.9 TDs (5.7%) 0.9 INTs (2.5%), 96.7 rating

And we both know that would be far, far worse if teams weren't running the clock down so much this year with our poor offense. If I'm correct we're also just about dead last in every 3rd down passing metric over that time.

Getting rid of Capers is the single best move the Packers have made since drafting Aaron Rodgers, but holding on to him for so long is at the very least the single worst move since taking Vonnie Holliday over Randy Moss back in 1998 (and making that same mistake year in, year out for half a decade).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Billy86 wrote: »
    It's a fair point, as a punter you'd want to be Shane Lechler, Andy Lee or Johnny Hekker in today's league to be able to 'stick it' to a team.
    mikemac2 wrote: »
    Sam Koch is better than any of these ;) ^^^^

Chris Jones.. The puntisher in Dallas beats all of these guys combined

Watch out for Michael Dickson coming out in the draft this year. It pains me to say this as a Texas Longhorns alum but he was probably our best player last year. Won the MVP in the Texas bowl with 10 of 11 punts in that game to inside the 20 with 8 in the 10 and 6 in the 5 if my memory is correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Michael Campanero to the Titans

A smaller reciever he plays in the slot and also is a punt returner

A talented player and he could do very well in Tennessee but was constantly injured. Must have missed multiple games every year of his career

Has hit FA and the Ravens don’t have a replacement lined up so despite years of patience they have moved on

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭NinetyTwoTeam

in other news, Robert Kraft visited Meek Mill in prison yesterday and says the judge should let him out on bail. I wouldn't have pegged them as buddies but there ya go.

i don't think OBJ is worth anything like what he wants, he's more sizzle than steak. but he's so popular and trendy he'll probably get it, especially considering no one will give up anything like a first for him. making one highlight real catch and having a funky haircut gets you 19 mil? it's like after he made that catch everyone forgot about how he dropped a TD vs the Panthers when Carolina was undefeated and basically got handled by Norman (another totally overrated dunce) for the rest of that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

in other news, Robert Kraft visited Meek Mill in prison yesterday and says the judge should let him out on bail. I wouldn't have pegged them as buddies but there ya go.

i don't think OBJ is worth anything like what he wants, he's more sizzle than steak. but he's so popular and trendy he'll probably get it, especially considering no one will give up anything like a first for him. making one highlight real catch and having a funky haircut gets you 19 mil? it's like after he made that catch everyone forgot about how he dropped a TD vs the Panthers when Carolina was undefeated and basically got handled by Norman (another totally overrated dunce) for the rest of that game.

obj has a load of impressive highlight reel catches, hes easily top 5 recievers in league problem is julio jones is the best and he aint even near that kind of money and every team should point to that

obj has a load of impressive highlight reel catches, hes easily top 5 recievers in league problem is julio jones is the best and he aint even near that kind of money and every team should point to that
    To be honest, there can't be any argument made about Antonio Brown being easily the best receiver in the league. I'll give Jones second of course, but 582 catches for 7,850 yards and 52 TDs in five years (every year over 100 catches and 1,200 yards) is a whole different type of insane - before the injury late last year he was right near the top of the MVP discussion.

Though the point still stands as he's also not on $20mn if I'm correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Billy86 wrote: »
    To be honest, there can't be any argument made about Antonio Brown being easily the best receiver in the league. I'll give Jones second of course, but 582 catches for 7,850 yards and 52 TDs in five years (every year over 100 catches and 1,200 yards) is a whole different type of insane - before the injury late last year he was right near the top of the MVP discussion.

Though the point still stands as he's also not on $20mn if I'm correct.

YEAH i could swap them 1+2, brown is 12-14 m i think

What can I say I'm just an unashamed Brown & Bell fanboy. :o

Best two non-QB offensive players in the league by far imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,860 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Agree on Brown but Gronk is up there with him.
    Bell wouldn't be as important because there are a lot of great RB's in the league right now. Gurley, McCoy and Elliot are all as good as him imo and you've got Fournette and Hunt who look to be that level as well but they've only had one season so far.

True, he's a TE but Gronk is the most unstoppable weapon I've probably ever seen - Moss included, and as a Packers fan I'm all too aware how much Moss could tear a team to absolute shreds.

As for Bell, I personally would have him a small bit above those though it's really close. I'm just a huge fan of the way he runs, how he seems to take 15 minutes to get back to the line and then just effortlessly slips and glides past players like he was playing Madden on the easiest setting; I've never seen anyone run the ball anything like him and it will be interesting to see if a bunch of young guys come up emulating him over the next few years.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

So..Dez Bryant is an ex-Cowboy......

• Registered Users Posts: 39,682 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

adrian522 wrote: »
    So..Dez Bryant is an ex-Cowboy......

An ex cowboy ? Is he pinning for the fjords ? Sorry I'll see myself out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Broncos release CJ Anderson, RB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭MileHighGuy

Broncos release CJ Anderson, RB.

Hmm, don't know how to feel about this. I loved him in 2013/14 but we messed up with the restricted tender and ended up paying more. Hasn't really been standout since returning from injury.....but who could be running behind a line like that. On to Booker I suppose.

We'll always have the OT touchdown in the snow!

brown is 12-14 m i think

lol wut.

Jameis Winston accused of groping a female Uber driver' crotch while Ronald Darby was also in the car.

On college he was accused of sexual assault, also on a night out with Darby. And he also was filmed standing on a table in the cafeteria and shouting 'F her right in the p##sy.'

It's way too much of a coincidence to not be true IMO. He got away with it once but I can't give him the benefit of the doubt this time (well, I thought he probably did it the first time too)

The team is standing by him, simply bc he's the QB. Be interesting to see what kind of pressure the Bucs come under. IMO he should be punished, this isn't just walking out of a takeaway with crab legs you didn't pay for.

and the CB the Eagles got in the Torrey Smith trade was arrested for DUI and carrying a gun and the Birds cut him. They'd want to have a serious talk with Darby as well about the company he keeps. There's a reason they're nicknamed the Criminoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Jameis Winston accused of groping a female Uber driver' crotch while Ronald Darby was also in the car.

On college he was accused of sexual assault, also on a night out with Darby. And he also was filmed standing on a table in the cafeteria and shouting 'F her right in the p##sy.'

It's way too much of a coincidence to not be true IMO. He got away with it once but I can't give him the benefit of the doubt this time (well, I thought he probably did it the first time too)

The team is standing by him, simply bc he's the QB. Be interesting to see what kind of pressure the Bucs come under. IMO he should be punished, this isn't just walking out of a takeaway with crab legs you didn't pay for.

and the CB the Eagles got in the Torrey Smith trade was arrested for DUI and carrying a gun and the Birds cut him. They'd want to have a serious talk with Darby as well about the company he keeps. There's a reason they're nicknamed the Criminoles.

The fact you didn’t name the CB is why he was cut. Every team makes decisions based on the level of the crime vs the talent of the player, though some are somewhat looser with them. It is the way of the NFL and it isn't going to change

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭TOss Sweep

Jamea Harrison retires again

• Advertisement

Hmm, don't know how to feel about this. I loved him in 2013/14 but we messed up with the restricted tender and ended up paying more. Hasn't really been standout since returning from injury.....but who could be running behind a line like that. On to Booker I suppose.

We'll always have the OT touchdown in the snow!

$4.5million against the cap - always going to be cut.

Great guy - solid pro - hope he finds a good landing spot (Miami is a possibility).

$4.5million against the cap - always going to be cut.

Great guy - solid pro - hope he finds a good landing spot (Miami is a possibility).

Why'd they wait this long to do it? Seems like a poor way to treat a player, even worse than Bryant as at least the Cowboys signed Hurns later in FA.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Why'd they wait this long to do it? Seems like a poor way to treat a player

The opposite actually - CJ is a model pro - a great lockerroom influence - and noted for engaging with the community under the radar without any fanfare.

The Broncos wanted to keep Anderson, but he was going to be a back-up. He has an injury history and was scheduled to make $4.5million on a team with cap issues. The Broncos needed CJ to take a significant pay cut - a deal didn't get done.

If the Broncos wanted to mess with Anderson they could have kept him until the draft - tried to use him as trade bait during the draft - and if there was no bite, then cut him. By releasing him now he has an opportunity to find a team before the draft.

The opposite actually - CJ is a model pro - a great lockerroom influence - and noted for engaging with the community under the radar without any fanfare.

The Broncos wanted to keep Anderson, but he was going to be a back-up. He has an injury history and was scheduled to make $4.5million on a team with cap issues. The Broncos needed CJ to take a significant pay cut - a deal didn't get done.

If the Broncos wanted to mess with Anderson they could have kept him until the draft - tried to use him as trade bait during the draft - and if there was no bite, then cut him. By releasing him now he has an opportunity to find a team before the draft.

Ah come on, the opposite would have been to cut him at the start of FA, so he had the most options. Rumours are that they had tried hard to trade him all off-season, but no one was interested on that contract. Just because cutting him after the draft would have been worse, doesn’t make holding him until just before it was a good way to treat a player.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭MileHighGuy

Ah come on, the opposite would have been to cut him at the start of FA, so he had the most options. Rumours are that they had tried hard to trade him all off-season, but no one was interested on that contract. Just because cutting him after the draft would have been worse, doesn’t make holding him until just before it was a good way to treat a player.

Taken to the extreme, I suppose this is true, but doesn't it behoove a team to at least attempt to get something for a player? Even a 7th ? Anything?

so a little late in the day, but plenty of teams are holding players to see if they can be moved on draft day.

It just goes to show there is absolutely no market for anything but the very top tier RB's and even then, very little value appears to be attached to the position. A sign (to me at least) that the game has gotten a little too lop-sided towards passing.

Taken to the extreme, I suppose this is true, but doesn't it behoove a team to at least attempt to get something for a player? Even a 7th ? Anything?

so a little late in the day, but plenty of teams are holding players to see if they can be moved on draft day.

It just goes to show there is absolutely no market for anything but the very top tier RB's and even then, very little value appears to be attached to the position. A sign (to me at least) that the game has gotten a little too lop-sided towards passing.

I think it boils down to that you either put the interests of a guy who has served you well first or that a very small chance of a low pick is worth more to you. A team has every right to do the latter, but I then don’t want to hear hollow comments afterwards praising what a great guy he is and how they wish them the best, when that is clearly a secondary concern to them.

It is conflicting though. Personally, I was slightly annoyed when the 49ers released Bowman last season when they had a trade offer on the table, but the player wanted to make up his own choice. In hindsight, he was such a good servant to the team that it was the right decision to give him that opportunity.

I think it boils down to that you either put the interests of a guy who has served you well first or that a very small chance of a low pick is worth more to you. A team has every right to do the latter, but I then don’t want to hear hollow comments afterwards praising what a great guy he is and how they wish them the best, when that is clearly a secondary concern to them.
    Trading Anderson was never an option - his contract was too big - Elway knew it, CJ knew it and every team in the league knew it.

The Broncos wanted to keep CJ and Anderson wanted to stay in Denver - the reason he was released is because CJ feels that he is a starter but the Broncos wanted him as a back-up and they couldn't reach an agreement. Anderson said he and the Broncos never discussed a reduced salary and if it had been proposed he would have rejected it - and he had absolutely no problem with when or how he was cut.

Apparently the Pats top the list of teams interested in signing him - and the list is long.

Apparently the Pats top the list of teams interested in signing him - and the list is long.

Doubt it as we have a stacked backfield as it is but then again we are mad for the RBs lately.

Rex Burkhead
    Mike Gillislee
    James White
    Jeremy Hill
    Brandon Bolden
    James Develin

I just can't see him getting any contract of worth from the Pats as it will be a low basic earn your pay 1 year deal if any.

So when I got home from work I got caught up on all the usual Pats beat writers and news and not one of them said the Patriots are currently interested in Anderson. In fact most if not all of the articles or podcasts or vids or analysts all are tying past interest in him as the Patriots being interested in him now. So no concrete interest from the Patriots at this point in Anderson.

As I said above we have stacked backfield and I doubt the Patriots will offer much money for him and unless he feels winning is more important than money then he will most likely find a home elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

TOss Sweep wrote: »
    So when I got home from work I got caught up on all the usual Pats beat writers and news and not one of them said the Patriots are currently interested in Anderson. In fact most if not all of the articles or podcasts or vids or analysts all are tying past interest in him as the Patriots being interested in him now. So no concrete interest from the Patriots at this point in Anderson.

As I said above we have stacked backfield and I doubt the Patriots will offer much money for him and unless he feels winning is more important than money then he will most likely find a home elsewhere.
    Agreed, we have no need for Anderson, esp with the options already there.

Advertisement