Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2018 NFL Offseason Trades and Free Agent News

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

ScummyMan wrote: »
    Honey Badger to the Texans on a 1 year $7 million deal. An absolute steal.

Great deal alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

Buccs make Ryan Jensen the highest paid centre in the league. Not bad for a 6th round pick!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

ScummyMan wrote: »
    Honey Badger to the Texans on a 1 year $7 million deal. An absolute steal.

If they fix up the boundaries a bit, with Watson back on offense and Watt on defense that's a serious, serious team. Watson didn't have enough playing time to properly compare to the likes of RGIII, Newton, Ben or Russel Wilson's rookie years, but in terms of when he was on the field he was the most impressive rookie QB I've ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,882 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

There has to be something we don't know about if Honey Badger is taking a 1 year deal for $7 million. It just stinks of there being some issue behind the scenes that we are unaware of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Guy is trying to get paid.

Betting on yourself seems to be a trend in the nfl at the moment (although idk, Cousins situation could be making me think that).

• Advertisement

Billy86 wrote: »
    If they fix up the boundaries a bit, with Watson back on offense and Watt on defense that's a serious, serious team. Watson didn't have enough playing time to properly compare to the likes of RGIII, Newton, Ben or Russel Wilson's rookie years, but in terms of when he was on the field he was the most impressive rookie QB I've ever seen.
    There you go with the hyperbole again. Watson certainly looked good but best ever rookie is just way, way ott.
    Let's just go with recent ones, Andrew Luck was extremely impressive in his rookie season, Russel Wilson and RG3 were great and Cam Newton was out of this world almost.

Go back a little further and Matt Ryan impressed too and a bit further back and Big Ben was superb in his rookie season.

You do say admit that he didn't play that many games which is fair enough but to put him up as greatest all time rookie having played in less than half the regular season is just going way over the top.

Masked Man wrote: »
    Guy is trying to get paid.

Betting on yourself seems to be a trend in the nfl at the moment (although idk, Cousins situation could be making me think that).
    I'd have thought he was worth much more than that already. Like that money doesn't put him in the top 20, maybe even top 30 earners among defensive backs.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,216 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

I'm not. I don't love Fuller as much as most of our fanbase seems to based off of 1 season (in which he whiffed on an unbelievable amount of tackles. He's not a great tackler.)

If the Packers were to sign him up to an offer sheet we couldn't/weren't willing to match it would have been for an unbelievable amount of money. They would have been taking the risk that he doesn't regress as well as putting themselves into an even worse cap position.

As it turns out, the Pack have negotiated a fairly decent deal for both Fuller and the Bears. Very strangely structured and not the way Pace would have done it based off his history, but the Packers legitimitely wanted Fuller and had to make it work with their cap which is why is it so strange (backloaded, only $6.5m cap hit this year).

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭gerryfed

Huge trade -

Jets get #3 pick
    Colts get #6, #37, #49 and a 2019 2nd

Great deal for the Colts for me. Picking up 3 2nd's and might still land the guy they want at #6 anyways (Chubb or Nelson probably)

gerryfed wrote: »
    Huge trade -

Jets get #3 pick
    Colts get #6, #37, #49 and a 2019 2nd

Great deal for the Colts for me. Picking up 3 2nd's and might still land the guy they want at #6 anyways (Chubb or Nelson probably)

Who do the Jets want at 3? Didn't they just sign Bridgewater?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭gerryfed

Teddy was 1 year - 15m and McCown was 1 year - 10m. Seems pricey 25M into those two, and then spending 3 2nds to move up 3 spots. Definitely moving up for a QB though, I'd be amazed if you're giving that amount up for anything else.

Moving up to three, getting a qb, and not giving up a future first is good business in my eyes,! Although I may be looking at it through rose tinted glasses

Mccown is gone after the year and I don't think you can have any long term trust in Bridgewater giving his injury history! I think it's only right they go qb in the first

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Oat23 wrote: »
    I'm not. I don't love Fuller as much as most of our fanbase seems to based off of 1 season (in which he whiffed on an unbelievable amount of tackles. He's not a great tackler.)

If the Packers were to sign him up to an offer sheet we couldn't/weren't willing to match it would have been for an unbelievable amount of money. They would have been taking the risk that he doesn't regress as well as putting themselves into an even worse cap position.

As it turns out, the Pack have negotiated a fairly decent deal for both Fuller and the Bears. Very strangely structured and not the way Pace would have done it based off his history, but the Packers legitimitely wanted Fuller and had to make it work with their cap which is why is it so strange (backloaded, only $6.5m cap hit this year).

You haven't mentioned the dead cap though. Because $20m is a signing bonus, if they cut him after 2 years, ie before the base salary ramps up, there's still $9m in dead cap that will impact over the final 2 years. Outside of Fuller living up to last season's form it is very hard to 'win' with this contract.

Captain Andrew Luck is happy with the trade anyway.

https://twitter.com/CaptAndrewLuck/status/975081503225823233

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭TOss Sweep

Chargers are giving former Dolphins’ center Mike Pouncey a two-year, $15 million, including $10 million fully guaranteed, per source.

Cleveland Browns and Seattle Seahawks have agreed to following trade:

Browns receive:
    2020 conditional seventh-round pick

Seahawks receive:
    DB C.J. Smith

Former Lions’ TE Eric Ebron is signing a two-year deal worth a maximum value of $15 million with the Indianapolis Colts

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

TOss Sweep wrote: »
    Cleveland Browns and Seattle Seahawks have agreed to following trade:

Browns receive:
    2020 conditional seventh-round pick

Seahawks receive:
    DB C.J. Smith

Is this just as good as releasing... I mean a 7th rounder hasgot to be next to worthless in the grand scheme.

Is this just as good as releasing... I mean a 7th rounder hasgot to be next to worthless in the grand scheme.

Avoids any cap hit by just releasing him. Probably why they looked for a trade than just releasing. Having said that not sure what his contract was or what the hit would have been.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭letowski

Colts are now signing WR Ryan Grant, the player who 'failed' a medical at Baltimore.

letowski wrote: »
    Colts are now signing WR Ryan Grant, the player who 'failed' a medical at Baltimore.

that was a fairly lousy move on the Ravens behalf!

phatkev wrote: »
    that was a fairly lousy move on the Ravens behalf!

Yeah, Grant’s injury was believed to be a case of a ‘better receiver becoming available after the deal was agreed’.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Allen Hurns released by the Jags. This time last year I wouldn't have pegged both him and Robinson to be gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

TOss Sweep wrote: »
    Avoids any cap hit by just releasing him. Probably why they looked for a trade than just releasing. Having said that not sure what his contract was or what the hit would have been.

Cheers.

Here's the OTC:

https://overthecap.com/player/cj-smith/5184/

Looks like no hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Giants trade JPP and a 2018 4th rounder to the Bucs for 2018 3rd and 4th round pick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

He's still a good player, but JPP's drop off from being arguably the most dangerous defensive lineman in the league not named JJ Watt to where he is now has been quite the fall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭cosatron

Billy86 wrote: »
    He's still a good player, but JPP's drop off from being arguably the most dangerous defensive lineman in the league not named JJ Watt to where he is now has been quite the fall.

moral of the story, don't f**k around with fireworks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

OBJ will holdout until he gets an extension. Perhaps we will see a trade.

Advertisement