Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Power is out for about 20 minutes in laytown

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

policy75 wrote: »
    storm, what exact storm are we talking abour Remain inside from 4pm for fear of your lives. Not a whiff of a breeze nor a whisker of snow in the midlands. TV3 and Varadker. Priceless
    Understand your frustration but places in Offaly and Longford seem to have been plastered. Very strange weather system.

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Cushtie

Waiting all week to post. Finally getting something here in West Limerick. The very fine snow from earlier has given way to slightly heavier stuff in a strengthening wind. Nice carpet of a couple of Cm in the back yard and driveway. Wondering what morning will bring?

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

Some great photos of this amazing snow storm.
    If want you can also pop them into the Picture thread below.

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057845112/1

• Registered Users Posts: 27 JWaterford

Hi,

Does anyone know what the current models are for Waterford city. The only thing we have here at the moment is modest wind, but no snowfall for the last 4 or so hours.

Is the high snowfall meant to reach Waterford soon?

Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

jo06555 wrote: »
    Sorry for ignorance but what's the blue line edge of red mean as for Waterford ? Thanks[/indicator of how fact it is moving the blue was edge of the dark red @21.50

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Sariah wrote: »
    Ok so that rain i posted earlier about in D24 mustn't have been actual rain because there is a 2foot deep pile of snow beside my car.

hallelujah, we have another convert, praise the lord

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Question: for those using the term "ice pellets", what, if anything, is the difference between those and hail stones? "Ice pellets" is pretty much exactly how is describe your average hail shower O_o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

My husband just ran down to the road to take some pics. For some perspective, this is the N25 between Waterford and New Ross, usually an exceptionally busy road, deserted for hours now.

Lovely blanket of snow down again now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭compsys

Calibos wrote: »
    I'm finding it very disconcerting that none of the resident experts want to answer the question about how anywhere could hope to get 1 metre accumulations from these crappy ice pellets. 3 hours of it belting down near the seafront in bray and the road is still only dusted.

I have this terrible feeling that I'm going to wake in the morning, look out the Velux and exclaim, "You've got to be ****ing kidding me!?!?!"........and not in a good way! :(

It feels like you're over exaggerating. You just need to relax a bit.

I'm right beside the sea too in Monkstown and it's been "crappy ice pellets" for the past three hours also.

However, when I look out closely at the road and the cars I can see that it's definitely leading to accumulations. Even if "proper" snow didn't arrive at all tonight I'd say the level of accumulations would be quite high.

Also, if you look close enough, you'll see that it is (very fine) snow that's falling. Admittedly it would be nice to see a few big, proper flakes falling. But this is Ireland after all and we're beside the sea and it's already into spring.

The wind alone would almost warrant a warning at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

Jesus long time no see...

Never know who you'll see on a snow thread :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭jjmcclure

It looked like rain in Dunshaughlin earlier, went out to the car and all footprints from earlier filled in with snow and deeper now than it was earlier. seems like really fine snow, but not rain

• Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭Calibos

NMB wrote: »
    You won’t wake up like that. There’s hours of this. The ice crystals the diamond dust is a good thing. It’s a base layer for the wet snow coming. There will be a huge accumulation tonight . It’s in the models. And they all agree. I’ve rum would you like a nip ?

I think I need something stronger. Think I'll pinch one of SWMBO's Xanax :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

The fine particles that have been falling this evening are not sleet, rain or freezing rain, they're snow grains. They feel like liquid because they're so small that they melt instantly on your face, making the same effect as liquid drops. Nowhere has had rain or sleet this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

Calibos wrote: »
    I'm finding it very disconcerting that none of the resident experts want to answer the question about how anywhere could hope to get 1 metre accumulations from these crappy ice pellets. 3 hours of it belting down near the seafront in bray and the road is still only dusted.

I have this terrible feeling that I'm going to wake in the morning, look out the Velux and exclaim, "You've got to be ****ing kidding me!?!?!"........and not in a good way! :(

Have you looked at a radar picture? The real storm front hasn’t even hit us yet, and it was well flagged that the leading edge could be rain/sleet/hail. It’s coming slower than they initially predicted, but that is the nature of weather!
    Why don’t you wait and see what you wake up to before complaining?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

Aspiring wrote: »
    Hopefully it's not too cold for snow

Indeed, or too snowy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭bennyl10

policy75 wrote: »
    storm, what exact storm are we talking abour Remain inside from 4pm for fear of your lives. Not a whiff of a breeze nor a whisker of snow in the midlands. TV3 and Varadker. Priceless

Check the radar.
    The storm hasn't passed France yet ffs!!
    Was it meant to just appear at 4:01?!

And Christ learn his name if you'll try wrongly attack him!

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭NMB

Saganist wrote: »
    UK Met.

Awesome Alex

• Registered Users Posts: 27 JWaterford

Hi,

Does anyone know what the current models are for Waterford city. The only thing we have here at the moment is modest wind, but no snowfall for the last 4 or so hours.

Thanks in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

The fine particles that have been falling this evening are not sleet, rain or freezing rain, they're snow grains. They feel like liquid because they're so small that they melt instantly on your face, making the same effect as liquid drops. Nowhere has had rain or sleet this evening.

As I have found out they also accumulate pretty quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭stevenup7002

deise_girl wrote: »
    Is Waterford still on for getting more snow? Since 5pm anything I've seen looks considerably more like sleet than what we had previous :(

Radar says it's about to get worse (or better) for you: fJyYh9Ql.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

Aspiring wrote: »
    Never know who you'll see on a snow thread :pac:

Just brings everyone together right :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭NMB

Question: for those using the term "ice pellets", what, if anything, is the difference between those and hail stones? "Ice pellets" is pretty much exactly how is describe your average hail shower O_o

It’s more like diamond dust - micro and melts on contact

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Terrible deep snow in Harolds Cross

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Wind picking up here and it’s -3 . Radar showing we should be getting heavy showers but it’s only light dust. Radar showed us getting no snow all day but it was snowing heavy with no indication on radar.
    Laois/kildare border..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭sicknotexi

How I know it's snowing outside without leaving my comfy sofa: Accuweather alerts says it's not snowing outside.(and vice versa)

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭aurora 527

JWaterford wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks in advance.

No snowfall??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Was a bit shaky here in Dublin 16 for a bit with some sleety/ice pellety stuff. Back on full/heavy fine snow now. -0.8c atm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Latest snow depth charts still saying dublin will have huge totals but still just ice pellets here. How could this possibly come anywhere close to a metre even if these ice pellets keep coming down until 6pm tomorrow it'll only be 3 or 4 inches Id say

Advertisement