Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

irishfeen wrote: »
    Literally Snow White here in North Cork - it’s a beautiful sight to behold! :)

I am sure you are getting more given your elevation but getting to look very nice here as well. Need a bit of heavier snow later as per the models.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

more intense radar returns approaching E Leinster. Already some drifting here on walls/doors etc. Not worrying about marginality that much, think I could even push it to 1.0 - 1.5 degrees tomorrow morning with snow sticking to the pre-existing snow pack

• Registered Users Posts: 24,305 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Still blowing this fine stuff in Portmarnock (constantly now for a couple of hours)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,973 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I can't believe up to a metre of snow in Dublin. I can't even contemplate that. It seems too far fetched for me to even think about that rationally. Some people are going to wake up to a big surprise in the morning as imagine most people won't really digest what 1 meter of snow means. I'm in Cork and 6 inches even seems far fetched to me.

I can't wait to see how high the drifts will be :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

spookwoman wrote: »
    recon about an hour that darker red will hit Waterford

vvRcQ5v.png

And that's the main stuff I take it yes ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Loughc wrote: »
    Has the storm changed direction? D13 little wind and only rain no snow.

Are you sure its rain? Not saying you're wrong just you seem to be one of the only posters still reporting rain and theres nothing i the technical thread to suggest it should be anything other than snow

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

MT Update
    County by county estimates of further snowfalls (on top of what is on the ground now) ...

Wicklow, Kildare ... 40 to 70 cm

Wexford ... 30 to 60 cm

Dublin ... 25 to 50 cm

Meath ... 20 to 40 cm

Louth ... 10 to 25 cm

eastern half NI ... 5 to 10 cm

Waterford, Carlow, Kilkenny, Laois ... 30 to 60 cm

Cork ... 20 to 50 cm

Kerry ... 5 to 30 cm

Limerick, Tipps, Clare ... 15 to 45 cm (generally heavier south)

Offaly, Westmeath, Longford, Roscommon, Galway ... 20 to 40 cm (generally heavier south Roscommon and east Galway)

Mayo, Sligo, Leitrim, Cavan, Monaghan ... 2 to 15 cm (15 more likely east and south)

Donegal ... 0 to 10 cm (higher amounts may be in sea effect bands northwest coast)

western Northern Ireland ... 2 to 15 cm (higher amounts towards south central NI)

The ranges are large and maximum amounts will be on southeast facing slopes, in some cases a range north to south, this applies more to the northern counties, for Cork and Kerry a reduction in totals near sea level. Some of the other county variations more due to elevation than exposure to any particular direction, and of course a random factor always present with banding caused by upper level dynamics sometimes unrelated to the surface.

Could see 70 to 120 cm on top of higher summits. These estimates are for elevations where people are going to experience them.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭brookers

in Dalkey looked out and thought nothing since yesterday morning and then i tried open sliding door, snow is drifting up against it...it has started!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,386 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Netweather showing some growing heavy snow approaching the east if it holds

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Cork seems to have found the iom shadow lol

just this really light stuff with little to no wind. Hopefully this changes and all the snow doesn't miss us

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,990 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Ok getting wild in south Wexford now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

https://www.tiitraffic.ie/cams/ for traffic cams. Dunkettle in Cork looks fine while Ballyvourney is having a blizzard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

dharma200 wrote: »
    could you rock off to after hours?

Well I cant now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭esposito

patneve2 wrote: »
    more intense radar returns approaching E Leinster. Already some drifting here on walls/doors etc. Not worrying about marginality that much, think I could even push it to 1.0 - 1.5 degrees tomorrow morning with snow sticking to the pre-existing snow pack

Getting a bit fed up with the snow grains. Hoping we get the proper heavy snowflakes soon

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

For the Love of everything that is Holy, Will one of the experts please come here and reassure those of us repeatedly asking the question, "Will these poxy ice pellets that do not seem to accumulate other than a dusting stop, and will we get real snow because as it stands no one will have 1 metre in 24 hours time if its made up of these ice pellets!

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭mobil 222

Can someone tell we if we did not have any snow worries would Emma have been classed as a major wind event.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

Just been outside in Firhouse Dublin 24 at foot of Dublin mountains, and it's crazy wild swirling spinning snow!
    Big drifts already.
    This is going to be an exceptional event.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭wicklowdub

Starting to get proper snow now in Greystones

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

That stuff falling in clonsilla that feels like rain is starting to clear the windscreen of the car parked outside. But its coating the back windows upstairs with fine ice. Odd stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

I cannot decide if what is falling here is snow / sleet / hail / rain. everything? Dublin 5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Burts Bee

irishfeen wrote: »
    Literally Snow White here in North Cork - it’s a beautiful sight to behold! :)

About time too!!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,464 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

35cm fallen since yesterday in a sheltered part of the garden!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

Storm Emma Now V Later

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭blobbyblob

https://youtu.be/T411AUmrz24

A taste of kilkenny at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

Have some drifts reaching about a foot in D18 already, crazy to think that the storm hasn't even really reached here yet. About 4/5cm fallen in flatter areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

Calibos wrote: »
    Looks out Velux...

Nope, still only snow dust on Meath road after 3 hours of this ice grain sh*te.:mad:

I’m up the top end of Convent Avenue and the front garden is now completely covered. No distinction anymore between the driveway and the grass. All of the tyre tracks on the road have been filled. It’s not huge depth but definitely coverage

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭sean555

If this verifies and no reason it shouldn't given it's only a few hours away then as far as Sligo will get lots.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Dublin 12- went out for a walk at about midday and have been inside ever since. Bf has to work in the morning (prison officer, so no snow day) but I forced him to leave now and sleep there so he wouldn't have to drive at 7am tomorrow. Snow throughout the day was steady but light, didn't think there'd been much cover, but when he went out to clear his car we could see our deep ankle- high footprints from earlier had been completely covered. So excited to see what tomorrow brings (even though I'll be working from home)...defo sleeping with the curtains open tonight!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

Calibos wrote: »
    For the Love of everything that is Holy, Will one of the experts please come here and reassure those of us repeatedly asking the question, "Will these poxy ice pellets that do not seem to accumulate other than a dusting stop, and will we get real snow because as it stands no one will have 1 metre in 24 hours time if its made up of these ice pellets!
    Started like that for us down here, but we have got so much snow now it's amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 novemberbravo

Daniel2590 wrote: »
    Have some drifts reaching about a foot in D18 already, crazy to think that the storm hasn't even really reached here yet. About 4/5cm fallen in flatter areas.

Where in D18? We just have light wind and what is DEFINITELY rain in Ballybrack.
    Slush, slush and more slush on the roads.
    Think its a non event here anyway.

Advertisement