Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Snowing in Limerick City. Not windy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

This is downright incredible outside near Arklow now,there’s a line of snow along an exposed wall in the yard here that’s piled up about 2 feet deep! Snow is going very fast sideways
    And this is only beginning :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭anthonymcg

The tennis match of "it's raining" versus "it's not f*ckin raining" is pretty funny

• Registered Users Posts: 23,607 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Reminds me of a USA Noreaster here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,151 ✭✭✭pad199207

MT Update

eh PP are we getting air lifted out of here tomorrow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭Goose81

They said on the news South Dublin could get a metre, it's been snowing all evening but it basically just rain it's not proper snow at all . I doubt we will see anything bar a few inches

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

joes girls wrote: »
    Started like that for us down here, but we have got so much snow now it's amazing.

Wow. I wish I lived 'on the hill with no eyes'.

....and where might that be if you don't mind me asking ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

This is downright incredible outside near Arklow now,there’s a line of snow along an exposed wall in the yard here that’s piled up about 2 feet deep! Snow is going very fast sideways
    And this is only beginning :eek:

Looking at Arklow on https://www.tiitraffic.ie/cams/ Absolutely incredible stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Goose81 wrote: »
    They said on the news South Dublin could get a metre, it's been snowing all evening but it basically just rain it's not proper snow at all . I doubt we will see anything bar a few inches

What do you mean basically just rain? Rain doesn't cause white accumulations...

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭RustyGate

antodeco wrote: »
    35cm fallen since yesterday in a sheltered part of the garden!

And about 2 miles from you only 0.5 cm of new accumulation since Tuesday night, and that didn't even make up for reduction of depth through thawing or wind blowing it away !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭SkepticQuark

Light snow on the border between Tipp and Limerick, been falling now for an hour or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

The man on RTÉ almost did a Father Ted, "there will be no roads" [long pause] "treated"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭aidanodr

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

Mahony0509 wrote: »
    Looking at Arklow on https://www.tiitraffic.ie/cams/ Absolutely incredible stuff.

Looks like the N11 just disappeared going by those cams.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

sdanseo wrote: »
    The man on RTÉ almost did a Father Ted, "there will be no roads" [long pause] "treated"

ah but his shirt.. hold on till i link a link to videos of shirts... i mean look at his shirt.................. who cares what he is saying...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,688 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Steer well clear of Bailieboro....it's a kip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 irlgw

Has anybody in 'south dublin' got a microscope to clarify if this white mist is actually snow crystals or not

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

aidanodr wrote: »

ah dammit hopefully I can stay awake

• Registered Users Posts: 9,013 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Even this light stuff is causing big accumulations in sallins

Can't believe we are going to get heavier stuff. It's going to be amazing to see

Bit scary !

Planning to climb out a window in the morning to take a pic of the snow drift up against the front door !

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Happy_Harry

So, this has to be said..
    I am not Irish, but from continental Europe, and yes, I was one of the people making fun of the country shutting down when there was an inch of snow.. Even remember sitting in a plane in Dublin airport to be told , the flight was cancelled because of snow on the runway.. At most there was a dusting.

But what I have witnessed in the past 36 hours or so, I have not witnessed in any of the countries I lived in, including Sweden, Germany and Poland. Not saying it doesn't happen in those countries , but I have never experienced it.
    The amount and intensity of accumulation is simply beyond belief and I am really happy my daughter can experience this in her childhood.

This weather system would have shut down Germany as much as it has Ireland. I understand the red weather warning may have inconvenienced people in parts of the country where there was no snow, but I am sure it has saved at least one life in this country so far and that should be worth any inconvenience.

Right now the winds have picked up a bit more and we have very fine snow , but can't say if that is actually falling snow or snow blowing in from the fields. That is near Kells in Meath. I have about 40 cm of snow on the grass. And I love it !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jdcv94

Mahony0509 wrote: »

I'm not far from Arklow here in Wexford and it's the same, I can't stop looking at it :D.

And look at this percip waiting in the wings off Wales. This thing is relentless.

ai3pwNw.png

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

irlgw wrote: »
    Has anybody in 'south dublin' got a microscope to clarify if this white mist is actually snow crystals or not

Go out with a black jumper on and come back in and look at your sleeves, its snowing everywhere in dublin

Its very strange acting precipitation though, the ground is clearly accumulating in D14 (only by a little bit, mind) but the car outside my house which was cleared of snow earlier in the day is still snow free now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

Any idea when the big stuff hits Waterford city ? Steady flows of light sizzle stuff but nothing major ..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭Goose81

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    What do you mean basically just rain? Rain doesn't cause white accumulations...

I just was out with the dog for 5 minutes, what hit my face and the window was 99% rain 1% snow

All day my car has been parked and it has about a half a cm of snow on it from the whole day

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

pad199207 wrote: »
    eh PP are we getting air lifted out of here tomorrow?

Ive a big green out the front they can land on :cool::cool::cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

I'm in south west Dublin if that counts :D (Drimnagh). Looks like rain on the window and against the light from the streetlights but I stood out in it about 20 mins ago, and just now I stuck my arm out the window. Definitely teeny tiny snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭spookwoman

jo06555 wrote: »
    Any idea when the big stuff hits Waterford city ? Steady flows of light sizzle stuff but nothing major ..
    watching radar could be 30 mins or so i hope

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Sligo has survived with zero snow today. Piss of snow

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭sean555

I wonder where are all the " this is nothing, sure it isn't going to snow at all and it's all media hype" merchants now?
    Maybe they're all in Belmullet since that looks to be one of the few places that won't be buried have at least 20 cms tomorrow.
    Also that guy from the Botanic Gardens with his Met ie contact?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

I wish people would stop calling them trolls. They are simply misinterpreting the precipitations fine nature, the water running down their windows and little to no accumulation as rain like literally 50 or 60 people before them.

I'm frankly fuming that after 3 hours of this ice pellet sh*te there is only a dusting on the road. I'll be lucky to have 4 or 5 cm in 24 hours if this ice pellet crap is all we get.

Advertisement