Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    Was just out in the garden in D14, these Ice pellets as people call them, I prefer snow grains, have added atleast and inch in the last hour...

Yep, I cleared a window sill early, just made a snowball with the 'rain' we just got. Can confirm that it is wet snow and sticks like glue, not like the powder stuff from the last few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Turned 30 today, as a snow lover living in Cork this is an amazing birthday present and definitely making my day a memorable one!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Guys look aT radars..
    The storm hasn't even fully passed France yet!
    Isn't doing so until the early hours..
    This is only the soft beginning!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Speak Now wrote: »
    Will definitely get more not that we need it after today. Great drifting going on with strengthening wind. Gusting up to 60 kph so far.
    spookwoman wrote: »
    Latest taken at 22.25 blue line is edge of red at 21.50

E2FkNq3.jpg

Delighted! Wouldn't usually be such a fan, but the way I see it now we have enough of it that I want it to go the whole hog!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

People getting confused by the drifting nature of the snow pellets I think. Have about 13cm in the garden and about 1 cm in the yard so that says it all. Heavier ppn approaching

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

There is a new name on the storm - its called bombogenesis

Is it supposed to intensify? Looks a bit dry on radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,866 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

d'Oracle wrote: »
    sheeesh.....

Someone else who can spell 'arcing'?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42 actaphobia

One day I will get to Pelletstown, but that day is not today!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

spookwoman wrote: »
    Latest taken at 22.25 blue line is edge of red at 21.50

E2FkNq3.jpg

Sorry for ignorance but what's the blue line edge of red mean as for Waterford ? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

Chrongen wrote: »
    Because adverse conditions bring people down to Earth and make us all feel a little smaller than the rat race. It's also brings out certain things in people like cooperation, self-reliance and the concept that other things rather than a job can be concentrated on if only for a day or two.

Well said!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

sdanseo wrote: »
    The man on RTÉ almost did a Father Ted, "there will be no roads" [long pause] "treated"

Like this ;)

eyyqn1a122sz.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Still a blizzard in Arklow. Lovely dry power snow. Never seen snow luke this before - very small particles and not the usual large flakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,542 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

konman wrote: »
    There has been alot of continous snowfall here, albeit light mostly from mid-day to 6pm but it all seem to evaporape on impact. it was -1 at its warmest. Could anyone more knowledgable explain this?

It's not necessarily evaporating - more likely it is getting blown away to a place where it will get stuck (up against a wall or fence, etc.) and that's what snowdrifts are.

If the snow doesn't melt and it's light snow (as it has been for most of the snowfall over the last couple of days), then it'll act just like sand or whatever with the wind. Heavier, wetter flakes of snow would take a lot more effort to budge, but the light stuff just blows away.

My back garden is like a demonstration of this in action - one side has a snow depth of less than 1cm, the other side has a depth of about 15cm - the wind is drifting it from one side to the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭NMB

Calibos wrote: »
    I'm finding it very disconcerting that none of the resident experts want to answer the question about how anywhere could hope to get 1 metre accumulations from these crappy ice pellets. 3 hours of it belting down near the seafront in bray and the road is still only dusted.

I have this terrible feeling that I'm going to wake in the morning, look out the Velux and exclaim, "You've got to be ****ing kidding me!?!?!"........and not in a good way! :(

You won’t wake up like that. There’s hours of this. The ice crystals the diamond dust is a good thing. It’s a base layer for the wet snow coming. There will be a huge accumulation tonight . It’s in the models. And they all agree. I’ve rum would you like a nip ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

MidMan25 wrote: »
    Turned 30 today, as a snow lover living in Cork this is an amazing birthday present and definitely making my day a memorable one!

Happy Birthday

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭RustyGate

That stuff falling in clonsilla that feels like rain is starting to clear the windscreen of the car parked outside. But its coating the back windows upstairs with fine ice. Odd stuff.

My guess is in some areas the precip has not started yet, and all this strange snow grain stuff is just lying snow blowing around - blowing of cars, trees, hedges, roofs etc. I think once the heavy stuff gets going it could be intense, the similar system in 1982 dumped up to a metre in an amazingly short space of time. It has happened before, therefore it could happen again, so even though for some areas (here included) major accumulation predictions over the last few days have failed to materialise, I would not be taking that as an indication we might not get this metre predicted.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 pigck29

Where is the thunderstorm???

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Paddycrumlinman

To all the folks who are asking about the rain / pellets, It's not rain, It's freezing rain, it will not melt the snow, it freezes as it leaves the sky as water, as the temp has risen slightly in the clouds, this is the start of the front and the colder temps will be following.

Basically, It's raining in the sky, as it comes down, meats colder air, and freezes and hit the ground.

I live in Florida, Been up north In Virginia at Christmas dealing with Freezing rain on a layer of about 1 foot of snow and I found it weird.

In NW Florida about 3 years ago, we had chance of snow with a front from up north, biting cold, with nothing but freezing rain, car frozen solid, icicles hanging everywhere, place came to a standstill road impassable. I was amazed.

Folks back home seeing this, it's grand, the snow is behind it, temps and due points will drop and bang, snow will be abound.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭IrishPhoenix

deise_girl wrote: »
    Is Waterford still on for getting more snow? Since 5pm anything I've seen looks considerably more like sleet than what we had previous :(

Oh I hope not. I'm busy frantically praying the power stays on or I'll have no electricity, no water and no heat. I hate snow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Titain

Has been snowing lightly but consistantantly since about 8 down here. If it keeps this up all night, might have a nice layer in the garden, which would be brilliant as my kids haven't seen snow up close before :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Timistry

cml387 wrote: »
    Still awaiting snow apocalypse here in Clonmel. Very light dusting, enough to cover a small matchstick. It's not actually snowing at all at the moment.

Yip! Just in a bad location all week. The streamers never made it this far and the mountains absorbed anything that did make it. Id say we have accumulated no more than an inch all week. :o

I lived in Dublin this time last year. Picked a bad year to move down!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

UK Met.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭policy75

storm, what exact storm are we talking abour Remain inside from 4pm for fear of your lives. Not a whiff of a breeze nor a whisker of snow in the midlands. TV3 and Varadker. Priceless

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Paddycrumlinman

To all the folks who are asking about the rain / pellets, It's not rain, It's freezing rain, it will not melt the snow, it freezes as it leaves the sky as water, as the temp has risen slightly in the clouds, this is the start of the front and the colder temps will be following.

Basically, It's raining in the sky, as it comes down, meats colder air, and freezes and hit the ground.

I live in Florida, Been up north In Virginia at Christmas dealing with Freezing rain on a layer of about 1 foot of snow and I found it weird.

In NW Florida about 3 years ago, we had chance of snow with a front from up north, biting cold, with nothing but freezing rain, car frozen solid, icicles hanging everywhere, place came to a standstill road impassable. I was amazed.

Folks back home seeing this, it's grand, the snow is behind it, temps and due points will drop and bang, snow will be abound.
    Also, the reason its water on the windows is the temp of the windows from inside will melt the ice quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

It's not freezing rain here, rain doesn't blow around in the wind :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

Hopefully it's not too cold for snow

• Registered Users Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Here in Wexford town and East facing garden walls are fast disappearing under snow. It's still the fine snow but it is drifting like mad in the wind

• Registered Users Posts: 23,554 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Sheets of ice coming down in Santry caking windows, doors etc. Some flakes starting to appear in there.

Conditions could get dangerous soon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

Aspiring wrote: »
    Hopefully it's not too cold for snow

Jesus long time no see...

Advertisement