Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Stranded German tourists in Dublin can't believe that the Country is shut down they said the get huge amounts of snow in Germany and the transport system keeps going and business open

If they like Germany so much, why don't they go and live there. Oh, they already do...

It's because they get huge amounts of snow regularly, and not merely as a once-in-a-decade freak event, that they have no choice but to spend vast amounts of money on keeping everything open. It happens here so rarely that it makes financial sense to shut down for a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

revelman wrote: »
    Evelyn seems to think that this will be falling as rain in Munster tomorrow night.

Hopefully. Snowed out at this stage. Drifts on the road outside my house the height of my shoulders.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,274 ✭✭✭secman

C__MC wrote: »
    Bit of a farce considering parts of the country probably won’t be hit

And you know that ? What's the lotto numbers for euro lotto tomorrow :) The storm hasn't happened yet !

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭stevenup7002

Latest radar image:

9key530.png

(sorry, couldn't resist)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭brevity

Well I'm sickened. Not even a flake where I am in Northish Cork.

That stupid snow shovel sitting idle in the hall.

3 days off work though so how bad I suppose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Grandeeod wrote: »
    In my area, the Gardai are going around the pubs telling them to close. No joke. This has no legal standing. If a pub wants to open and punters want to be in there. So be it. But what I witnessed was more like Marshall law than a weather alert.

What area is this?

Who is Marshall by the way and what laws does he/she have?

Maybe you mean Martial Law?

Maybe gardai are just advising as staff and punters may not be able to get home come normal civilian law closing time.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Victor Meldrew

flazio wrote: »
    Unless they happen to be a farmer checking the welfare of their animals.

Farmers have a legitimate reason for being there. And tend to be self reliant. So if they need help, so be it.

The guys in BMW x5s with summer tyres are more the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

jdcv94 wrote: »
    44cm in Wexford :eek:

Certainly makes up for the last 2 days of little to nothing here.

Hang on, is wicklow town still left out of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

There is 225mm of snow in newbridge co kildare at the moment I wonder what it will be this time tomorrow!

D.Q wrote: »
    Shout out to the wicklow massive who are still waiting for this "snow" that everyone else is talking about.

The beast wanted nothing to do with us, but hopefully Emma has some space left in her heart.

Be careful what you wish for !!
    I’m up the coast , south side of Drogheda and I’ll swop with you . Sick of this , snowing almost all day long, lots of snow drifts here and that’s before Emma , I want this to be over already .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

I'm really struggling to believe how little snow I've got compared to seemingly the rest of the country. Hardly 2-3 cm here in South Tipp. Hopefully tonight/tomorrow makes up for it, as the models are showing that it should.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Stranded German tourists in Dublin can't believe that the Country is shut down they said the get huge amounts of snow in Germany and the transport system keeps going and business open

Just tell them we don't get huge amounts of snow. The comparison with other winter ready countries is ridiculous at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

lucy2010 wrote: »
    Gerry ran away ! simples

Gerry is at home on a day off I suspect. I would say he's pacing up and down the kitchen floor waiting for the call which most likely won't happen. Ah poor Gerry left out in the cold pardon the pun.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

We also went to work through this for weeks on end back in the dark ages. December 2010

There weren't 100km/h winds causing blizzard conditions in 2010. It was a protracted cold spell, but mostly calm.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users Posts: 12,140 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Where?

South Laois.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Brendan offaly

Epic snow in Offaly all day today and yesterday.
    Drifts over 2.5ft out in the country side.
    Really impressive snow.
    Have loads of photos bit I am new to this site and still trying to figure it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Surely there will be no more in Athlone ? It's coming down non stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

In my area, the Gardai are going around the pubs telling them to close. No joke. This has no legal standing. If a pub wants to open and punters want to be in there. So be it. But what I witnessed was more like Marshall law than a weather alert.

What you witnessed was still more like a weather alert than Martial Law.

Do people just not care what words mean anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

There is 225mm of snow in newbridge co kildare at the moment I wonder what it will be this time tomorrow!

So 22.5cm?
    A lot but not loads...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭foxyladyxx

Gusts here would knock an average sized person off their feet so red alert totally warranted.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Heavy snow being reported at the moment at St Mary's, on Scilly Isles. Must be a particularly rare event for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Be careful what you wish for !!
    I’m up the coast , south side of Drogheda and I’ll swop with you . Sick of this , snowing almost all day long, lots of snow drifts here and that’s before Emma , I want this to be over already .

I have to agree. In Dublin 8 and it's non stop all day. Was nice for a while but at this stage I'm getting a little bit of cabin fever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Skedaddle

I get the definite impression that Cork City is warming up. The snow's thawing all over the place around the hills.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Anyone know how bad the roads are in north county Dublin at he moment? A relative is stuck in Sutton without transport, needs to get to Swords.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

Was stuck in a car for 4 hours, really pissed off ,gets to my area eventually ,threw the toys out the pram and said I'd go for a beer (my first since NYE) bastard pubs shut ....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

-1.7 DegC and dropping here in North Cork (190m ASL) hon to fcuk Emma do your worst :)

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭aisling86

And they will be the first to call the Gardai when they are stranded in 3/4hrs.... some people just love to to the opposite of what is advised!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

I'm really struggling to believe how little snow I've got compared to seemingly the rest of the country. Hardly 2-3 cm here in South Tipp. Hopefully tonight/tomorrow makes up for it, as the models are showing that it should.

Same so far. I think it's due to the easterly direction and the effect if being in the lee of the Comeraghs. Plenty snow north of us and to the south on the Lismore side of the Knockmealdowns.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

Advertisement