Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42 actaphobia

Anyone know how bad the roads are in north county Dublin at he moment? A relative is stuck in Sutton without transport, needs to get to Swords.

No idea, but if they have shelter they need to stay. The message of Leo Varadkar was very clear - stay home or indoors after 4pm.

How did your relative not get that message?

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Can ye imagine every current affairs program next week, picking the gov to shreds over every detail of this. "Why was there a national red, why wasnt there enough warnings given, something something homeless, something something rural Ireland......

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

Frozen canal in Robertstown, Kildare

r8B7w_W6fU_mNbBrlxHFHviZkao40MNmtiBxzK6j_7dVpkyFwZ62XNkpHUKSdmGEIJXzPRcKyjl4AeepSOnur1mcEsihR5PupYdSgMoDK_6tpD8fmQI9nQtnntOO4FNvMruVkm6smiU-ACf2izrVNgaKJbiGjg9R_FGOuIqFyMGV6quf-g79FxVMCEPfF_VHb_3cAA7PZi36IiJyoE5FrEzVsieKAfseKWETVdOUr-EqM9EvOZrDimoQ0UYtHRkwqeuY_z0_vJ9Hz_YXzF4b4qzHeRgjatfH2Ukt76tS_6VGTCGQg784Dxe2MP1bLZs25N3M_cUeLQNCzCRhMm_rzRXiaaZBEgYK6NyTNSJffiWCBNujZWm6rEw4ymltbripcJVZYhCfbphLZQTyh-4dD2bSMYzFXWyRfPCc1VWNQCijXNQPAUDya0xk4atGtTjfuhJb6lcNvlxgDT3ed09xd1A9hF0N1IasJKvSYE2z7Lo0IjDmBdlUnSQjVR1Y4jWZ5feM6Nv59RCvX-AG83e2kJo2F5P21wgkpAoav64jbU1w805A9Qu6CUranDreOC29HASZsbkEeEx0EwbdTNhDiojsqxM3JG0NokTMQzC4=w1266-h949-no
    UwV3Wy9_Y6qd4nl5X8qt7qOggTexTDLAUNJb0L6HSjHvcCE3OkOGodUTAEdhc674HMmT8Cxl--4RPdFzUELIdhk2vtV8iqteTwBW0Z41gbvOgbeT_GdVQ3U-XmwsUk58X-5dhYDTSTdWRoVc5G-uNRrW1QyaO8rtsRPBIhJxm9HU7XRad-cIoKDl_xLXQjvvNT_2kbT9e0cmobMX3o5A8-1_TNtoceo9cX7jY1fiHIvS0Hz_CAupxgkFfzoSquu7-GAWiv1tYhhaxrciYFJOjTXVazu-1D9GRi4l3pXWeOCKwixzOoYqEoCUJQt106Qoq2525FtS-fye4fomxvPHkAIMFFllzhY8KiyNI4PLtnMGxhtR-iNQP11dtH3yn5rMlIy7_3td2ZPOpR58UUAskmPDMDcVqCvZs-4Kiq_QmXUtZJvmi59yW9pb9_GG1kAf5pzJw8ymulsg-MB7e49NIjRG0iROOeAdl8ensC-nMqtVWqs-2FpV4ahcjXtTf5psi8_A22bnVewqg65e03IhObTsaFT-zeV_HFIA9R_7AzdJBqrwtoqyvs3CoCF570uAMlrb3f78pUMBdmETW8WUT1ncXkX6hFIrjlvxBj3X=w1266-h949-no

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭wicklowdub

temps and dp's rising in wicklow

http://www.wicklowweather.com/eight.htm#6 hour graph

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

actaphobia wrote: »
    No idea, but if they have shelter they need to stay. The message of Leo Varadkar was very clear - stay home or indoors after 4pm.

I have no idea what messages they did or didn't get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Deedsie wrote: »
    Jesus the logic of some people is frightening. Is it really a good idea for people to become intoxicated this evening. Especially away from their homes. Some of them would probably try to drive home and then those awful Guards that tried to get the pubs to close will be the ones that have to rescue them from whatever ditch they are in.
    It's not a nanny state people are responsible for their own actions, if they want to have a pint its their prerogative. I dont know the situation with the bar and its employees they may have chosen to work an if they did then that is their choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

haminka wrote: »
    If the pub owner is preventing his employees to go home to safety because they MUST server the guests instead, it has nothing to do with the good will of the owner and hospitality. It's ridiculous and stupid.

Some people think it's great down the pub, fire and bit of craic

They're not thinking of some 22yo barman who has to work till 1am to serve them. Nope, their pints are all that matters

Or even how they'll get home at that time, no transport. Only way is walking and even then....

Only thing worse than fools are drunk fools

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

actaphobia wrote: »

There is such a thing as emergencies.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

jdcv94 wrote: »
    44cm in Wexford :eek:

Certainly makes up for the last 2 days of little to nothing here.

Yeh its interesting how wicklow wexford and south dublin have done worst in streamers but now might get the most from emma!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,447 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Neighbour told me earlier he planned to go for a swim in the river at half 4 just to give two fingers to authority. The mind boggles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

irishfeen wrote: »
    -1.7 DegC and dropping here in North Cork (190m ASL) hon to fcuk Emma do your worst :)

I feel like putting up a sign to welcome Emma like they do for the hurricanes in USA. This is our hurricane which we can never get..a snow blizzard.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,951 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Grandeeod wrote: »
    In my area, the Gardai are going around the pubs telling them to close. No joke. This has no legal standing. If a pub wants to open and punters want to be in there. So be it. But what I witnessed was more like Marshall law than a weather alert.

In fairness that might very likely save the life of either a drunk person or that of someone in the emergency services out rescuing them later if they fall and hurt themselves. If you're in an area where heavy snow is expected I don't think being out drinking should be tolerated. It's asking for trouble. I'm afraid I think fair play to the guards on this occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

Southeast Wexford and Emma is not here yet, we have snizzle here now blowing in the wind.

Tem -1
    Real feel -8
    Humidity 80%
    Dew point -3
    Winds 34 km/h northeast.
    Pressure is dropping 996mbar

Getting worried about my Dew point getting warmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

49B252A600000578-5448635-image-a-11_1519914077526.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭haminka

Deedsie wrote: »
    Jesus the logic of some people is frightening. Is it really a good idea for people to become intoxicated this evening. Especially away from their homes. Some of them would probably try to drive home and then those awful Guards that tried to get the pubs to close will be the ones that have to rescue them from whatever ditch they are in.

That too but TBH I have absolutely no compassion for anyone who decides to get drunk and freezes to death somewhere in a ditch. Darwin Award.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,145 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

haminka wrote: »
    If the pub owner is preventing his employees to go home to safety because they MUST server the guests instead, it has nothing to do with the good will of the owner and hospitality. It's ridiculous and stupid.

Im not condoning it. I am merely describing what I saw. However I do think the Gardai were acting very heavy handed in their approach. Most of these pubs are owner operated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

wakka12 wrote: »
    Up to 1.5 feet predicted to fall in wicklow tonight so it'll be worth the wait ;)

Puuuuulease let it fall in Greystones :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Reporter on RTE says current snow depth is 10cm and expected to rise to 2 feet.

I wish they would just stick to metric!

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Victor Meldrew

jamesbere wrote: »
    There used to it, we're not. If we had the infrastructure and resources they have than things would be much easier

And, in some very dry countries, "Irish rain" is disruptive and causes traffic chaos. This is exceptional for Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Grandeeod wrote: »
    In my area, the Gardai are going around the pubs telling them to close. No joke. This has no legal standing. If a pub wants to open and punters want to be in there. So be it. But what I witnessed was more like Marshall law than a weather alert.

It might not be legally binding, but if I owned a pub, the local Gardai are the last people I'd want to get on the wrong side of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

Anyone know how bad the roads are in north county Dublin at he moment? A relative is stuck in Sutton without transport, needs to get to Swords.

They are actually in relatively fine shape in North Dublin. FCC have done a good job gritting even back roads. Main roads that I drove today were in excellent shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

Skedaddle wrote: »
    I get the definite impression that Cork City is warming up. The snow's thawing all over the place around the hills.

Warming up for the heavy snow that is on the way?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

Same so far. I think it's due to the easterly direction and the effect if being in the lee of the Comeraghs. Plenty snow north of us and to the south on the Lismore side of the Knockmealdowns.

Clonmel did get some as I've seen some of JC's photos, but towards Cahir where I am there's almost nothing. Anything that was there is almost melted.

The Galtees, except Galteemore, aren't really even white compared to normal!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,731 ✭✭✭dmc17

Neighbour told me earlier he planned to go for a swim in the river at half 4 just to give two fingers to authority. The mind boggles

And when he gets in trouble, he'll be the first to expect authority to come and pull him out of it

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Stranded German tourists in Dublin can't believe that the Country is shut down they said the get huge amounts of snow in Germany and the transport system keeps going and business open

Ah god love them .. But we are not Germany .. We own 1 snow plough & buy 1 ton of salt every 10 years .... ...

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

murpho999 wrote: »
    Reporter on RTE says current snow depth is 10cm and expected to rise to 2 feet.

I wish they would just stick to metric!

61cm does not sound as impressive

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Can ye imagine every current affairs program next week, picking the gov to shreds over every detail of this. "Why was there a national red, why wasnt there enough warnings given, something something homeless, something something rural Ireland......
    you sound suspiciously like a govt TD...

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭KizzyMonster

RTE just now mentioned that Storm Emma will only hit South and East Ireland. Will it not track across Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭grenouille1966

wakka12 wrote: »
    Yeh its interesting how wicklow wexford and south dublin have done worst in streamers but now might get the most from emma!

Some parts of south Dublin have had epic snow.

North Dublin had more but not necessarily north county Dublin. The Airport has received about 20 cm and Casement in West Dublin 25 cm probably 30 at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 robinmgp

This is the busiest thread I’ve ever seen that has importance to me! Lots of snow here in D16. The pavements are slippery but the roads are okay

Advertisement