Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

ffs I think the skies are getting lighter here - mid Limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭foxyladyxx

dacogawa wrote: »
    My video of high tide on Sandymount strand earlier on, now that's not something you see every day...

https://twitter.com/DavidCostelloDC/status/969196547144634368

Man that is epic.. am getting those winds here and snow streams.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Have to say this place is gas at times. Like did everyone expect at 4pm it would start snowing in every location as per the warning? Emma is on the way as scheduled so just be patient.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,909 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Stranded German tourists in Dublin can't believe that the Country is shut down they said the get huge amounts of snow in Germany and the transport system keeps going and business open

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42 actaphobia

It should be a curfew.

This is a truly unique and dangerous event, and I think mock cynicism on some people's parts leads them to pretend to underestimate it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Me and this guy, Benjamin, had some great craic today. :D

redIOc1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Shout out to the wicklow massive who are still waiting for this "snow" that everyone else is talking about.

The beast wanted nothing to do with us, but hopefully Emma has some space left in her heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Have to say this place is gas at times. Like did everyone expect at 4pm it would start snowing in every location as per the warning? Emma is on the way as scheduled so just be patient.

I know. 4pm was the time given to try and get everyone home before it hits.

It's tonight we'll see all the activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭foxyladyxx

haminka wrote: »
    Unfortunately, utter moronism hasn't been categorised as an offence worthy of capital punishment. Yet.

Does it matter if these individuals have their childers with them?:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,145 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

spookwoman wrote: »
    Issue is some media are calling it a curfew and probably why some are taking the micky out of it by saying Leo and his lot will come after you if you are not indoors by 4pm

In my area, the Gardai are going around the pubs telling them to close. No joke. This has no legal standing. If a pub wants to open and punters want to be in there. So be it. But what I witnessed was more like Marshall law than a weather alert.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Stranded German tourists in Dublin can't believe that the Country is shut down they said the get huge amounts of snow in Germany and the transport system keeps going and business open

Yeah. Up to this point is just a rough mid winter day in the likes of Berlin. We also went to work through this for weeks on end back in the dark ages. December 2010

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Victor Meldrew

haminka wrote: »
    Unfortunately, utter moronism hasn't been categorised as an offence worthy of capital punishment. Yet.

Shooting is a bit right-wing..

Any loon caught up Sally Gap who needs rescuing should be rescued along with their vehicle and made hack their car/jeep to bits with an axe in public.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

and here in Ireland this is the first heavy snow in 8 years so yeah we are really used to it aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,998 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Any loon caught up Sally Gap who needs rescuing should be rescued along with their vehicle and made hack their car/jeep to bits with an axe in public.

Unless they happen to be a farmer checking the welfare of their animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

d'Oracle wrote: »
    People get their news from TV3?
    In 2018?

Not that strange as RTE and TV3 are the only Irish TV options.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭haminka

foxyladyxx wrote: »
    Does it matter if these individuals have their childers with them?:cool:

The children are innocent there. Which idiot would take a child out in a blizzard?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Squaredude

Been snowing for about an hour in Ballybunion, finally starting to stick now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

If you can find the vehicle. The way things are going at 520m ASL they'll be buried. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Victor Meldrew

Grandeeod wrote: »
    In my area, the Gardai are going around the pubs telling them to close. No joke. This has no legal standing. If a pub wants to open and punters want to be in there. So be it. But what I witnessed was more like Marshall law than a weather alert.

Where?

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Just hooked up a spare floodlight out front so the kids can enjoy the sight of the blizzard when it arrives.

Hasn't got above -1.5C here in South Tipp today, wind is picking up and I can see showers a couple of km away on the Knockmealdowns. Had a rake around in the garage and found loads of my old winter hillwalking gear. Bring it on!

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭miseagustusa

Does anyone have links to all the radars???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭tigger123

If any of those f*ckin idiots coming home from the pub later on get into trouble it'll be the Guards they phone. Consider it a preventive measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

OK, but we are not in Germany and our whole set up is simply unprepared for non-standard weather. In Germany, snow is more standard. If a weather front like this hit Sydney or Melbourne they would have the same problems we do.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭jmorrisey

Mad stuff! Where about was that??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

There used to it, we're not. If we had the infrastructure and resources they have than things would be much easier

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jdcv94

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Appege accumulation chart up to 6pm tomorrow eve. S & E well up for it.

snowdepth_030.jpg?2018030112

Blowing snow here all afternoon yet such is its nature, it isn't adding very much to what has already accumulated. Wind is beginning to feel colder and damper with the sky lowering all the time, though temps refusing to get above -1.0c. -1.5c currently with a Td of -4.0c. Pressure (1001.1 mb) falling at a steady rate.

44cm in Wexford :eek:

Certainly makes up for the last 2 days of little to nothing here.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Lepidoptera

Achasanai wrote: »
    We have a bird feeder, and the feckers are ignoring it and continuing to burrow in the snow and up and down the trees. More fools them.

Some birds are ground feeders so they can't/wont be able to eat at feeders but only off the ground. If you can clear a bit of snow out and spread a bit of seed on the ground periodically, they'll love you for it. Robins, chaffinch, blackbird, dunnock and several other common garden birds are all ground feeders.

I've been doing that periodically, but it's been snowing so much here all day that it keeps getting covered up.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,190 ✭✭✭✭km79

Lucky in many ways this happened now and not in November or December
    Longer days meant we got it enjoy it a bit more too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

actaphobia wrote: »
    It should be a curfew.

This is a truly unique and dangerous event, and I think mock cynicism on some people's parts leads them to pretend to underestimate it.

Curfew over some snow no matter how much is ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭haminka

If the pub owner is preventing his employees to go home to safety because they MUST server the guests instead, it has nothing to do with the good will of the owner and hospitality. It's ridiculous and stupid.

Advertisement