Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

I'm on the coast in NW Donegal... We Had a few showers lastnight that lay. It's been snowing constantly here since around 7am this morning.

Yeah. The lake effect snow from North Irish Sea is effecting the a strip along the north of the county and much of Inishowen but there’s really snow south of Milford.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Calibos wrote: »
    Wet Snow is not the downgrade!! The Snow from Emma was always going to be 'Wet Snow'. 1982 was 'Wet Snow'. In fact its better for making snowballs and Snowmen.

The downgrade is precipitation amounts and how far north its looking like Emma will come before she's deflected west by the Beast from the East. ie. She might not even make it to Dublin now nevermind Ulster and the North West.

Good post.

Does this mean that marginality not so much an issue for the South?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

Wet Snow is not the downgrade!! The Snow from Emma was always going to be 'Wet Snow'. 1982 was 'Wet Snow'. In fact its better for making snowballs and Snowmen.

The downgrade is precipitation amounts and how far north its looking like Emma will come before she's deflected west by the Beast from the East. ie. She might not even make it to Dublin now nevermind Ulster and the North West.

So is it basically saying storm Emma has being downgraded and in that won't drop as much of the snow ?.. I'm sure southern eastern parts will still be in for blizzard like conditions will they ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭bennyl10

I'm yet to see any chart show it not reaching as far as dublin?...
    Any links?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Stop saying non event when it hasn't even started! Met Éireann says it will reach Dublin. They wouldn't stick out their necks like they and lock down the county if it was unlikely. Please get a grip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭revelman

revelman wrote: »
    I’m here near Kinsale. Was woken last night by the second loudest thunder I’ve ever heard. The loudest was in Malaysia. We got such a fright. I haven’t gone out to measure the snow yet but we had a good bit of snow last night on top of the almost 20cm we got yesterday. I’m attaching this phot of my backyard but it’s hard to show how extraordinary the scenes are here. We are almost completely white already and looking at the top of the car I’d say there is 25cm of snow plus but will confirm later with measuring tape. :eek: I feel like I’m in some sort of armeegeddon movie - seriously...

Photo might be a bit dark as it is early but still very grey here.

In case anyone is interested, following on from the earlier post I’ve gone outside and take the measurement. It looks like way more snow has fallen after the thundersnow but the measurement is roughly the same as where it was yesterday evening - about 18cm. I don’t know how scientific this is - I’ve been measuring the same level part of the driveway since yesterday. The driveway itself is unrecognizable now. Photos of measurement and driveway attached.

What is remarkable is that only 5cm has fallen in Cork airport just 25 mins north of here.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭shmaupel

irish1967 wrote: »
    Here in South Donegal this morning there is a general feeling of WTF ! We have bright sunshine and haven’t seen any snow. Now all schools are closed. There are no buses running. 90% if the charts I’ve seen show the storm not even reaching Donegal. If this doesn’t have a ‘cry wolf’ result for Red Warnings I don’t know what will. Bemusing.

South Donegal here too. Near Rossnowlagh.

Had snow yesterday afternoon that covered all in white and is now frozen solid. Actually fell while I was at the shops in Donegal town and not a flake to be seen there at the time.

-1.5 at the minute on my station and can't release the car handbrake. Roads are slick with frozen snow anyway.

Seems we were lucky to get a little dump yesterday.

A blanket warning is the simplest and best solution on days like this rather than faffing about with partial county warnings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Rikand wrote: »
    Well I hope you dont get a drop of it

If we do it will be a pleasant surprise. The reason for the local bemusement here is that we’ve been told for days we won’t get snow and all of a sudden over night we get Red Warnibg and yet forecast is the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Have to say this has been a superb snow event for dublin 5. Constant snow and must be around 20cm in parts

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Stephen Hawkins football boots

Artane2002 wrote: »
    Stop saying non event when it hasn't even started! Met Éireann says it will reach Dublin. They wouldn't stick out their necks like they abd lock down the county if it was unlikely. Please get a grip.

People are replying to posts about it potentially not reaching Dublin, not everyone has the same knowledge when it comes to charts,so when someone who seems to be in know says it may not make it to dub but met.ie says it will.Then naturally it will lead to questions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Some people on this thread really need to get a grip . There is no downgrade . Read the forecast from ME and the UK MET . Worst affected areas south - South East and the East Coast .

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

shmaupel wrote: »

A blanket warning is the simplest and best solution on days like this rather than faffing about with partial county warnings.

Agreed. The cost of underestimating could be paid in lives. Met have to err on the side of caution.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Vxlks

Artane2002 wrote: »
    Stop saying non event when it hasn't even started! Met Éireann says it will reach Dublin. They wouldn't stick out their necks like they abd lock down the county if it was unlikely. Please get a grip.

^^^^
    This is for "National Area" of Dublin, was updated at 6AM:

Frequent heavy snow showers and widespread ice and lying snow today. During the afternoon and evening persistent blizzard conditions will develop, coming from the south as heavy snow together with driving easterly winds spread northwards over the province. Temperatures will remain below freezing for the day. Strong to gale force easterly winds will bring the risk of coastal flooding.

Tonight:
    Blizzards will continue tonight with a risk of thunderstorms at the coast. Temperatures will be as low as minus 4 degrees and there'll be strong to gale force northeast winds.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭grenouille1966

Dublin 15 has similar amounts to Dublin 5....maybe 25 cm in places.

Starting snow again....I think Met Eireann's radar is defective however ..showing massive shower activity over Dublin region but not snowing heavily here really.......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭bennyl10

People are replying to posts about it potentially not reaching Dublin, not everyone has the same knowledge when it comes to charts,so when someone who seems to be in know says it may not make it to dub but met.ie says it will.Then naturally it will lead to questions

Go to the mode thread and look at what's posted. (The Model itself a page back) ATM dublin is still getting coveted.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Bucketing down in Firhouse D24 again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jdcv94

It's actually snowing for longer than 10 mins in Wexford, take that Welsh shadow!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

A right blizzard happening now on 3 rock mountain in south dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Right so it may not even make it to Dublin

Hopefully not. Think we have had our fair share here over the last 24 hours or so

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭thomasj

Yep I haven't seen anything like it in blanch in many years and if anything I reckon it might have already surpassed the 2010 events

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

First pic is road out of house. Thought I was brave going out to take photos... fell over within 20 seconds. Under the snow it is hard ice. Partner had to drive today am so worried, cannot relax and enjoy the snow till he is home. Kids loving it, red faces frozen hands. This is a status red here whatever anyone says, and from here (Clare) to Galway the roads are just shocking. I cannot fathom why anyone would be like this is hyped. Its like people have no vision outside their own myopic back yard. That people might have to go form one town to another, that your own back yard is not an indicator nationwide. I never thought of weather as being something which really shows people for their own self awareness or lack of.

I wouldnt want to be in met eirann listening to all the gowls who giving out. I wouldnt want to be the one calling the alerts either, because either way you are going to loose, if someone dies and it wasnt called, if someone has heaven forbid to get the kids minded for the day and there is only a cm of snow. I just dont get it. I dont get the whole attitude.
    Anyway hopefully the worst I will have to suffer is a sore knee, and hopefully my partner will be home soon as I am so worried. And hopefully the leccy doesnt go tonight or there is too much snow.

If one more eejit on facebook goes on about other countries getting snow and it not being shut down i swear. Quite enjoying the social media silence of those during the week who were scoffing at my warnings. A few of them now trying to get supplies in like loonies before the shops shut.

The thaw is going to problematic I can already see this around here. Cold and wet thaw is going to be grim. Stay safe people. It might not be bad where you are but it isnt great here. x

28511946_161215711345879_1480569929_n.jpg
    28584286_161215531345897_480527214_o.jpg
    imghost

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭seamusk84

To put it simply, the snow up till now has been lake effect snow, where cold upper airmasses travelling over warmer water creates massive convection of moisture from the Sea generating intense Snow Clouds that tuck in behind each other like cyclists slipstreaming each other. These streamers can be hit and miss, so even if they are coming in your direction they might still miss you by a mile or two where you get nothing but just up the road from you gets tonnes of snow. If you are lucky enough to be under a streamer for decent amount of time, Streamers can give you massive amounts of snow in a very short time.

The other problem with Streamers though is that they need a certain length of sea track to form the streamers. The distance from Liverpool to Dublin for example is long enough but the distance between the Western Coast of Wales and the Eastern Coast of Wicklow/Wexford is not long enough. In a North Easterly wind Wicklow has a long enough sea track from up beside the Isle of man but unfortunately for us this time the wind turned due east after Tuesday nights snow putting us in the Wales Snow shadow.

The Thursday/Friday snow event is different, that has nothing to do with lake effect snow and is simply a big wet storm coming up from the south and meeting very cold air blowing at us from the east and all the rain in the storm falling as snow instead.

Any chance it will just fall as rain and melt the snow?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 blackberry jam

Yeah. The lake effect snow from North Irish Sea is effecting the a strip along the north of the county and much of Inishowen but there’s really snow south of Milford.

It just reiterates how difficult it is for ME to make a call when local conditions can vary. There is enough snow here to cause disruption and just a few miles away nothing more than a dusting/not a trace in other areas. I can appreciate the call that was made and the reasons for doing so. More importantly I'm going to enjoy my snow day ☺️

• Registered Users Posts: 14,369 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I have to think this reference to "severe thunderstorms" is an awkward phrasing for heavy thunder-snow, correct me if I'm right, but a severe thunderstorm is something that happens in warmer weather than this, drops heavy rain, hail or produces wind gusts that are not occurring more generally. I do think there is potential for some impressive thunder-snow tonight and Friday but would not call that a severe thunderstorm.

On the question of how far north, quite often the precip ends up further north than modelled even when storm tracks are accurate. Occlusions often rotate around and get further north than expected.

There is also going to be a sort of hybrid aspect to this storm, the southern part will be "warm frontal shield snow" and the northern part could be scattered outbreaks of enhanced sea effect, that may obscure how far north the storm's snowfall gets.

Think that orange might have been the better choice for Mayo, Sligo, Leitrim, Donegal and possibly Cavan/Monaghan but there are strategic reasons to go all red, just in case things move much further north than expected, and to deter people from making travel plans that might be from the marginal warned areas into core red alert areas, especially as the storm is for a Friday and it would be logical to assume that hundreds of people might ordinarily be planning a weekend trip south to Galway or Dublin area perhaps, this might make them cancel those travel plans which would seem like a good thing.

You can never get these things 100% right, either you go too widespread and annoy some, or you try to finesse it and miss an area that needed a warning. Counties as the basis for warnings also presents problems, you might imagine that parts of some larger northern counties would be in red warning territory while other parts may not be. So what do you do in that case? You have to include the whole county.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Dublin 15 has similar amounts to Dublin 5....maybe 25 cm in places.

Starting snow again....I think Met Eireann's radar is defective however ..showing massive shower activity over Dublin region but not snowing heavily here really.......
    Tell us where gets the most snow and who gets more than others or have you been doing this already for the past 10 years under different names?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Hasn't stopped snowing for the last hour in Monasterevin anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 EastCork2018

dharma200 wrote: »
    First pic is road out of house. Thought I was brave going out to take photos... fell over within 20 seconds. Under the snow it is hard ice. Partner had to drive today am so worried, cannot relax and enjoy the snow till he is home. Kids loving it, red faces frozen hands. This is a status red here whatever anyone says, and from here (Clare) to Galway the roads are just shocking. I cannot fathom why anyone would be like this is hyped. Its like people have no vision outside their own myopic back yard. That people might have to go form one town to another, that your own back yard is not an indicator nationwide. I never thought of weather as being something which really shows people for their own self awareness or lack of.

I wouldnt want to be in met eirann listening to all the gowls who giving out. I wouldnt want to be the one calling the alerts either, because either way you are going to loose, if someone dies and it wasnt called, if someone has heaven forbid to get the kids minded for the day and there is only a cm of snow. I just dont get it. I dont get the whole attitude.
    Anyway hopefully the worst I will have to suffer is a sore knee, and hopefully my partner will be home soon as I am so worried. And hopefully the leccy doesnt go tonight or there is too much snow.

If one more eejit on facebook goes on about other countries getting snow and it not being shut down i swear. Quite enjoying the social media silence of those during the week who were scoffing at my warnings. A few of them now trying to get supplies in like loonies before the shops shut.

The thaw is going to problematic I can already see this around here. Cold and wet thaw is going to be grim. Stay safe people. It might not be bad where you are but it isnt great here. x

28511946_161215711345879_1480569929_n.jpg
    28584286_161215531345897_480527214_o.jpg
    imghost

Nail on head, great post and photos :)

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭ImThatGuy

ImThatGuy wrote: »
    On and off snow here in Dublin 6W for the last 30 mins

Just starting to die down now!

Edit: Actually picking up again!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,393 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

NMB wrote: »
    Is this just real life or is this just fanta sea ...
    There's no escape, from real ale or tea.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,171 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Here in South Donegal this morning there is a general feeling of WTF ! We have bright sunshine and haven’t seen any snow. Now all schools are closed. There are no buses running. 90% if the charts I’ve seen show the storm not even reaching Donegal. If this doesn’t have a ‘cry wolf’ result for Red Warnings I don’t know what will. Bemusing.

Mayo is he same though has a better chance of getting hit later. I think the countrywide red warning was a day or so early in the context of the north west.

Advertisement