Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather: ESSENTIAL PREPARATIONS, TRAVEL ADVICE, DRIVING TIPS & CLOSURES

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Lost power for four hours overnight in north county dublin so keep your phones laptops charged up. Laptops are a good backup “battery” for charging your phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    Lost power for four hours overnight in north county dublin so keep your phones laptops charged up. Laptops are a good backup “battery” for charging your phone.

What are the odds on widespread power outages from today's event?

Thanks to Kermit, MT and the other very knowledgeable folks on here, I've had batteries / battery packs / candles etc sorted this past week, in anticipation, but it'll get mighty cold here if the heating goes!

edit: Also thanks to the above, my colleagues missed the panic buying the last few days, and my boss made the call early yesterday to cancel appointments for the rest of the week, in spite of his bosses insisting we were to come to work or take annual leave (they relented only when overruled from on high).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Here in South Donegal this morning there is a general feeling of WTF ! We have bright sunshine and haven’t seen any snow. Now all schools are closed. There are no buses running. 90% if the charts I’ve seen show the storm not even reaching Donegal. If this doesn’t have a ‘cry wolf’ result for Red Warnings I don’t know what will. Bemusing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Don't know who else was affected but the three (3) mast was off near me because the power was out after Ophelia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Just back from dunmore east road to ardkeen stores waterford. not much snow cleared from the roads and a sprinkling of grit. snowing heavy here so it covering the grit. did feel abs kick on on roundabout even though i was doing snails pace recommend only go out if you have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Stern

Question- has any1 bought them yaktrax or any other brand of ice crampon thingys? They are all up in the onscreen ads the past few days! Cheap enough too.
    Might buy a pair to have again or would they be a waste?

I bought a cheap pair of these in Lidl a year ago or so, first time to use them - they're fantastic. Was able to walk on ice no bother at all on relatively flat/low-incline surfaces. Also went up a hill and no problems at all. Will definitely be getting a few more for the rest of the family next time I see them. The ones from Lidl are rubber so you can fit them on any sized shoe (not kids though probably)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭greasepalm

severe loss of life predicted after 4 today if anybody does not follow the guide lines to stay indoors,god help the emergency forces having to deal with silly things,if you cant see your hand in front of your face what are you going to do?be safe indoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

greasepalm wrote: »
    severe loss of life predicted after 4 today if anybody does not follow the guide lines to stay indoors,god help the emergency forces having to deal with silly things,if you cant see your hand in front of your face what are you going to do?be safe indoors.

The Grizzly Adams generation will be fine. Its ironically the snowflakers who may be found wanting in this regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭MrMischief

Chaos (understandably) in the airport this morning. Understaffed but huge credit to front line staff from DAA and airlines for managing the situation. Only a handful of flights made it out and unfortunately my one was one of the ones that got cancelled in the end.

Feet up now and weather watching for the next few days.

Stay safe out there - some roads treacharous and visibility impacted by wind blowing around surface snow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

what are the chances electricity will go?

Winds to be as bad as last October?

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭dsaint1

I’m dropping the neighbors around to the shops at the moment , ain’t the folks that didn’t spring the extra few quid for the 4wd versions of the fancy SUVs loving it now ,

In saying that , second time in 8years I’ve got really good use

Hope you sprung for proper winter tires too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Elnin09

DAA

All flights cancelled from 16:00 today until Saturday....worst of blizzards due this evening at 18:00pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭wingnut32

Folks Im posting in this thread because I dont want it to get lost in the other thread and need some expert advice. My sister is due to get married tomorrow in Dublin 10 at 1pm and then travel to Cabra Castle in Cavan straight after. Obviously she absolutely does not want to cancel but is clinging on to any hope that this might not be as bad as forecasted.

What are the models telling you guys about the situation we are in?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭billybonkers

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

Channel be3 having a blackout. Has the beast entered the TV3 studios?

sorry grizzly adams had to shave this morning as the itch was getting unbearable.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Elnin09 wrote: »
    DAA

All flights cancelled from 16:00 today until Saturday....worst of blizzards due this evening at 18:00pm.
    Where are you seeing this? Not yet mentioned on their Twitter account and no mention on their live list of cancelled flights after this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,793 ✭✭✭thomasj

wingnut32 wrote: »
    Folks Im posting in this thread because I dont want it to get lost in the other thread and need some expert advice. My sister is due to get married tomorrow in Dublin 10 at 1pm and then travel to Cabra Castle in Cavan straight after. Obviously she absolutely does not want to cancel but is clinging on to any hope that this might not be as bad as forecasted.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=106298186#post106298186 MT Cranium's daily forecast. Can't do better than that.

• Advertisement

erica74 wrote: »
    My concern would be later on, particularly if you're going to be on the road between 3pm and 6pm because I would imagine it'll be pretty hairy during those hours and then, whatever those hours bring, could leave the roads in shite.

Its not whats underfoot that's the problem. Its the visibility. The vast majority of people are hearing the advice but not listening.

wingnut32 wrote: »

ohh bummer what timing to have a ceremony in the middle of a storm warning with no travel or places open and with something we have never seen before to hit,i do hope you get some good news,have you rung both places for local updates as if roads are closed?

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭revelman

Local Radio has just said that 150 homes are still without power in the Kinsale area. Hopefully, they can be connected before Emma hits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

When feeding the birds, remember to spread the food far and wide.
    Some birds will take over and bully other smaller birds away when there is snow/ice.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Gamayun

revelman wrote: »
    Local Radio has just said that 150 homes are still without power in the Kinsale area. Hopefully, they can be connected before Emma hits.

Glanmire showing as having a fault too:

https://www.esb.ie/esb-networks/powercheck/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭RiseToMe

Lord. Had to go to Northside SC to pick up baby supplies (we had everything in for us but unexpected teething led to running out for little one). Face was cut off me, tried to upload insane video but only have mobile atm

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Things remaining manageable now due to water, electricity and internet still running, do we think there’s much chance of the electricity etc going when the worst hits?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

sdanseo wrote: »
    People in Kildare, Cork, Kilkenny, Drogheda who have posted pics of significant snow- you need to realise that this is light compared to what Emma could drop later, risk increasing exponentially the further south you are.

Heed the warnings. You ain't seen nothing yet.

O.H at work just wish they would shut up shop and let them home..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Paully D wrote: »
    Things remaining manageable now due to water, electricity and internet still running, do we think there’s much chance of the electricity etc going when the worst hits?

No offence Pauly, but you seem like you are trying to win the "most unanswerable question" competition.

This depends on where you are, how windy and snowy it gets, how vulnerable the lines near you are to falling trees, and blind luck.

Nobody can tell you anything but, its gonna be really windy and snowy as bejaysus.
    You either have your prep done or you don't. Anybody who tells you how likely you are to lose power is making it up.

Advertisement