Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

My Mam is in Dunshaughlin and her electricity has gone :( anyone else?

nope not so far...

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭twinkletoes

Calibos wrote: »
    To put it simply, the snow up till now has been lake effect snow, where cold upper airmasses travelling over warmer water creates massive convection of moisture from the Sea generating intense Snow Clouds that tuck in behind each other like cyclists slipstreaming each other. These streamers can be hit and miss, so even if they are coming in your direction they might still miss you by a mile or two where you get nothing but just up the road from you gets tonnes of snow. If you are lucky enough to be under a streamer for decent amount of time, Streamers can give you massive amounts of snow in a very short time.

The other problem with Streamers though is that they need a certain length of sea track to form the streamers. The distance from Liverpool to Dublin for example is long enough but the distance between the Western Coast of Wales and the Eastern Coast of Wicklow/Wexford is not long enough. In a North Easterly wind Wicklow has a long enough sea track from up beside the Isle of man but unfortunately for us this time the wind turned due east after Tuesday nights snow putting us in the Wales Snow shadow.

The Thursday/Friday snow event is different, that has nothing to do with lake effect snow and is simply a big wet storm coming up from the south and meeting very cold air blowing at us from the east and all the rain in the storm falling as snow instead.

Wow thank you for this brilliant explanation!

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

-6 at 9am feels really odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Stephen Hawkins football boots

bennyl10 wrote: »
    So the blizzards are now going to be wet Snow? What a non event
    Where this from?
    ME saying persistent snow with winds from evening.

Check the thread with the charts where the boffins post,they are saying downgrade , plus a few pages back on this thread talk of wet snow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭Creative83

Bucketing down in Malahide now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

An event that hasn't even happened yet and you, oh genius one, can already call it a non event? The mind boggles.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,820 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Check the thread with the charts where the boffins post,they are saying downgrade , plus a few pages back on this thread talk of wet snow

Zzzzzz bit early for this mate

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

North side cork city

That looks exactly like Galway city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭jasper100

Wet snow that will melt quickly in the stronger March sun.

Time to lock these threads.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I can't believe that met web site is coded in classic ASP. That went out 17 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

The m6 at rathmorrissy Co Galway 01/03/18IMAG3111_zpsgy82l9uf.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Still coming down nice and steady here in Sallins

Good morning for a cuppa and the dog on my knee !

We are a few miles away, got pummelled with snow all morning (it's still coming down) but zilch on the radar. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Evelyn 'Killjoy' Cusack again reiterating it wont be bad in North West, think she has grudge against us because of the Postman...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

A 2 min Snow-Lapse from lovely Sunny to a Winter Wonderland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Moderate snow in Arklow in a 40kmh wind at the moment
    -2.5c
    Dp -6c

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

A non event, really :pac:

Near blizzard conditions in Kildare.

9ObxWBgzphehliwdWHShtt2mPMnNSn1XTYhY6crz7ktSTwUNeHeOnwjr2X9Da3O4wOZm_Omg5TMOrcmthGfBsP9UIHokYiuwrRlvchYZwIr9j6b2KY8FyM3-w9jircRsNxFKHmbwFEKds37gnQmuWYsU8EhDAHFJsxubtCTOANwc8bgG4eETi-HxFEkBhuOOMdAFNcuD4kX8KCYm2shR9LvvSUktanTxZXeyCfWryIagsnQtVOjSbHPy7YHKx3naX_Iqd6vMx03Z5_QYV4boPa2VieV2AtrYsnn9yAUOBdSfYN8NhoeuksI7gnxGYkIjMOsiTWwG06RoRV_a-8xGKl_yW_LhRr-bY5w8U7ddrqnL1uL5xBNNlLEmL01sL25wpAHaATbeqQntfXKt3VDeWkIcjhJSLTSoSzXRbcvWU1MPo5p0MxSYKuS4tPT37QEs5GUv5G80VeiUg1wENEJMr4n6QjSkthgiS8K-ggSkT4Wpszj4V8CafXMxlEG5Y8gMMQvTyjSvLUlsJ1i86J87q_7MCf3bP9z8M-ZCaZZBab1_zY0oQNYR7VU8xzmBllQUlK6tDiXTshMDpWvTPkwNk7SbuT0xr2Bv4YaG6yfj=w1266-h949-no
    1ueT2vx6wMWUg6NCGFjh0cCkFjDgf8bg0Y4wBEzKzuFFlb82R5J8DDLbxxt_av6xEGPQOAjpyei5LUolcM58_inKiIuub497id6u6UxvUOW8AwtcXVCaFqq4uwQPV3ZCNV9735zxY47_Fj_6S3IQmOQmj-AQ6lSKmoKAyF3LU-YFKj4_roFz_YsJ_4Ygf-1XI_qPi3lBSOeXGx52iivB422JqnsvlahJj0zDnKAHCx9gSdpytios1-5mLl29dE2BvLehlK_V5hKIxPtr-ohQ7jRrFCqh8tVqUZa-3UGnGJ2M_cvDvDINuTJveNC2rlkie06-5b_3a-gERSXpazPY8CKAeuaSSIwnBQSe1rK6alnU2ztD8jgsBngbeHD3YTXljQpIJ8PwpsezVBDW3g_xFtN-muwJrzxb8eQ-fppYLHtiki9q2mlnZMD5umP-2Tt1-dh-2tG-i7VvJnGHftTVE1xR0VSucO6rDW9SvkyKlxGAPwY5TXG1MldtoCsB-8nZkaCchYGRV3Ne_082ElxzVleBXW_2CEypcYiQ9P6vThM20cxjMuWWC0iIlmHBKH2plJBp7q1itaYC_2YjxYPHs9c5HJTur9CkjthodGgb=w1266-h949-no

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭ZeroSum76

Mr.Boots wrote: »
    South East still set for a pelting?
    North wex
    Looks like sleet later according to yr.no.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Downgrade from tomorrow..
    This evebening/night Is still meant to be quite bad as far as I can tell?
    Correct me if im wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭daheff

Just looking at weather app on my phone....its prediciting snow all next week too ☹️

We’ll really be looking at day after tomorrow scenario if it keeps up like that!!

**i know those apps arent very reliable, but if it does pan out ....we’re fubar

Where this from?
    ME saying persistent snow with winds from evening.
    Yr.no giving sleet. They have been spot on predicting no snow for areas that got no snow.

• Advertisement

Calibos wrote: »

No not 'Wet' snow. 'Wetter' snow. ie. Better snow for making snowballs and snowmen. Actually sticks together rather than crumbling to Snow dust in your hand.

Thanks im an an idiot when it comes to this , I'm reading things I don't want to read luke wet snow and thinking that's rain. All I want to read is that it's still a big event.Thanks for clearing up though

• Registered Users Posts: 8,540 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Waterford airport -4 and bucketing down all morning. Nothing on met.ie radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 blackberry jam

irish1967 wrote: »
    Here in South Donegal this morning there is a general feeling of WTF ! We have bright sunshine and haven’t seen any snow. Now all schools are closed. There are no buses running. 90% if the charts I’ve seen show the storm not even reaching Donegal. If this doesn’t have a ‘cry wolf’ result for Red Warnings I don’t know what will. Bemusing.

I'm on the coast in NW Donegal... We Had a few showers lastnight that lay. It's been snowing constantly here since around 7am this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 LillyO

Here in South Donegal this morning there is a general feeling of WTF ! We have bright sunshine and haven’t seen any snow. Now all schools are closed. There are no buses running. 90% if the charts I’ve seen show the storm not even reaching Donegal. If this doesn’t have a ‘cry wolf’ result for Red Warnings I don’t know what will. Bemusing.

In east Donegal here and I see a lot of businesses and even Creche’s and play schools posting on social media stating they are open for business and will remain so unless the weather changes. I agree with whoever said an orange alert would have been more than suffice for Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

Wet Snow is not the downgrade!! The Snow from Emma was always going to be 'Wet Snow'. 1982 was 'Wet Snow'. In fact its better for making snowballs and Snowmen.

The downgrade is precipitation amounts and how far north its looking like Emma will come before she's deflected west by the Beast from the East. ie. She might not even make it to Dublin now nevermind Ulster and the North West.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭bennyl10

ZeroSum76 wrote: »
    Yr.no giving sleet. They have been spot on predicting no snow for areas that got no snow.

Yr has snow(at least in dublin) tonight?
    With sleet around 9 tomorrow?
    Not very far off what ME have been saying..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Wow, Met Éireann saying severe thunderstorms tonight are possible in large areas of Munster and coastal areas of Leinster.

ZeroSum76 wrote: »

Yr has snow(at least in dublin) tonight?
    With sleet around 9 tomorrow?
    Not very far off what ME have been saying..
    Giving sleet for Wicklow Head.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,348 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Well I hope you dont get a drop of it

• Advertisement

Right so it may not even make it to Dublin

Advertisement