Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Met radar is just stunning at the moment.

The Irish sea has become a snow factory for Leinster!!

light (and sometimes heavy) but consistent snow in Rush, NCD the last 2/3 hours!! and it doesn't look like stopping anytime soon either!

Got any graphics?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭taytobreath

My camera caught a car spin, exactly why NOBODY should be out on the roads

scroll bak to 5 mins and a guy fell over and had to be helped to his feet

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

jamesbere wrote: »
    Anyone know if any supermarkets open today, went to tesco in dennehys Cross and wilton both shut

English Market also open till 12

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

milosh wrote: »
    and its pelting down in Bray for over an hour at this stage! Thats as localised as you can get

defo micro climate here i reckon!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

Nothing but blue skys in cork city now..

Yup. Gonna be a big thaw i reckon. Just like yesterday. Warmth in the sun . Go away sun !Got the red warning from work last night so gonna turn my phone off just in case !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭Gavlor

• Registered Users Posts: 39 TeaCup2

Lightly snowing here in Firhouse Dublin 24.
    Had another 2-3 cm on top of the 12cm from yesterday.
    I'd strongly advise anyone to stay put if they don't have to move, later on will be a severe event, plus the freezing temperatures will play havoc with road ( I mean snow) surfaces.

I hope your stocked up Winegoddess? This could be a long few days 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭kirk buttercup

From Wicklow Weather . I always find them really really good for weather on Facebook

Some of you are delighted and some of you are disappointed by the lack of snowfall in parts of County Wicklow and Wexford while we watch on as the rest of the country see's the cm of snow accumulate over the past 36hrs.
    Many of you are questioning your position near the Irish Sea, it has little to with that proximity to the Irish Sea over the past 36hrs. Coastal areas elsewhere have been pasted from the sea streamers.
    The lack of precipitation is due to a combination of the shadow effect from the Isle of Anglesey and the wind direction. Once wind direction changes so does the position of the shadow. Last week we spoke about how crucial wind direction is for sea streamers or sea effect snow to develop along the eastern coast.A more NNE would have been perfect as we pointed out last week in our explainer about sea effect snow!
    Basically convection from the warmer Irish Sea has been dried out somewhat as showers pass over the Welsh headland of Anglesey. It has been visible upon radar for the past 36 hours.
    NOTE: The incoming snow storm will not be sea streamer based its a system of low pressure gradually moving up over the country. Entirely different set up so please heed all severe weather warnings this evening and over the coming 24 to 36hrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jdcv94

Met radar is just stunning at the moment.

The Irish sea has become a snow factory for Leinster!!

light (and sometimes heavy) but consistent snow in Rush, NCD the last 2/3 hours!! and it doesn't look like stopping anytime soon either!

The streamer activity is even reaching as far down as North Wexford which is a big change from recent days. Snowing here for the past hour. No real accumulations here, it's mainly one big ice rink.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I don't remember this amount of snow in my back garden in 2010 and we did well in 2010

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭grenouille1966

Massive blizzard again in Dublin 15 Castleknock.....just not stopping.....m..unreal snowfall....Dublin getting pounded as is Dublin airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭firemansam4

Rodar08 wrote: »
    Red level totally warranted here in Donegal. It’s a complete blizzard non stop and that’s before Emma comes anywhere near us. Worst snow we’ve had definitely since ‘82.

The gov were totally right in issuing these warnings. The forecast is the forecast and they have to act on it. If it misses Dublin then it’s hardly anyone’s fault is it??if it hits Dublin like it’s hit Donegal then you’ll be damn glad they took the precautions they did. Anyone complaining to the gov if it doesn’t is a special kind of arrogance.

Its mad it looks like North Donegal and Inishowen are getting it quite bad now, I'm a little south of Letterkenny and there is nothing here really at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,131 ✭✭✭pad199207

Snow falling in Naas is just relentless. Incredible stuff

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

Gavlor wrote: »

Why is this person driving so fast?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Endless snow train in D5, can’t get over it

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

mobil 222 wrote: »
    Is this a live feed.

Ya, here's the clip of car spin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

How blessed are we to have the benefit of this contributor on boards...

Seriously, invaluable contributor. Anytime there is a big weather event my first port of call is the weather forum here to see what MTC is saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

Is it still looking bad for South east/north wex?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

aurora 527 wrote: »
    Have had four hrs or so of continuous snow now in Waterford ... despite the ME radar showing like we are not getting much... Heavy big flake snow...

Lake effect snow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

Is their a blip with NW radar over Waterford it shows lots of activity all morning heading our way but breaks away over Waterford but it's being heavy snow all morning 😕

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Brianmeath wrote: »

Going by my location in meath I believe it is more than justifed already. In 36 year I have never seen such weather. Fields are starting to green up now with so much snow drift. I believe they made a super call on this & all of ye. Let's see what the evening & night bring.
    On another note I did notice last night some people saying the streamers were done for the night & they were very wrong, but I run with MT forecast & he nailed it.
    If the red warning saves one life it's a great acchvement.
    Top job to all.

Nobody said the streamers were finished for the night. I certainly didn't. I said they would be lighter than earlier yesterday, and that's what they were. They were still numerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,126 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

jo06555 wrote: »
    Is their a blip with NW radar over Waterford it shows lots of activity all morning heading our way but breaks away over Waterford but it's being heavy snow all morning 😕

There's a blip/echo in a line from Shannon down to the Wexford coast, the radar is based in Shannon. You'll notice the straight edges.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Still nothing in North Cork, I'd go to work if it wasn't closed and I hadn't drank 3 bottles of wine last night.
    Have to go buy more below cost alcohol now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Snowing heavily in South Kilkenny for about 2 hours now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

Ya, here's the clip of car spin

They got quite a fright, I would say. Horrible feeling when you lose control of car. Himself was sent home from work early yesterday and has 2 paid snow days now. :) nice, was worried would not be paid. Work pal of his mangled front of car yesterday skidding into wall. We are getting more than I expected in NW area, more than is reported in media anyway. Has been pretty much snowing all morning, and it's very cold. Better to stay off roads completely if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,143 ✭✭✭✭km79

Look at the amount of thanks MTCs latest forecasts have gotten

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭kerrycork13

Its unbelievable here, blizzard conditions, heavy snow in a very stong wind, never seen so much snow here.

Think we are well over a foot of snow now

Where!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭thomasj

My back garden.
    What you cant see is wind blowing and snow falling. Out the front garden is worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭sadie9

jo06555 wrote: »
    Is their a blip with NW radar over Waterford it shows lots of activity all morning heading our way but breaks away over Waterford but it's being heavy snow all morning ��

Same in Portlaoise. Pelting with now here and has been on and off since 7am but not a cloud on Netweather. Met.ie Rainfall Radar does show it however.

Advertisement