Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,251 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

leahyl wrote: »
    Uh the dreaded sun is making an appearance in Cork

Had you ever thought you'd say those words

• Registered Users Posts: 14,253 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Had you ever thought you'd say those words

:-P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Cobh over the last 24 hour. Deadly silence.

9qkyfm.jpg

69esdi.jpg

2mq7nud.jpg

a0l8us.jpg

2nljqq.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

That was not an enjoyable drive to work.

Looking even less forward to the drive home this evening.

Seemed like a fair bit of snow fell in Laois overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Coffee Fulled Runner

We got a light dusting of snow yesterday around 1430 in Ballaghaderreen nothing since. -5°c on my car this morning with a blue sky. Hopefully we don't get any more snow.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

It's bucketing down in Monasterevin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

South East still set for a pelting?
    North wex

• Registered Users Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Kamili wrote: »
    Not much extra snow in D16 overnight, whats there has frozen underneath.

I'm just the other side of the Ballycullen Road in D24 and slept with my blind tipped last night. Every time I looked out (which was a lot!) it was snowing. Was expecting much more on the ground than there was when I got up earlier. I think the wind was blowing it away faster than it could accumulate.

Been snowing very lightly since, but, again, not a whole lot of it is actually making it to the ground.

I have to say, having read MT's forecast for today, I'm a little bit disappointed; it doesn't seem like we're going to get the snow I was hoping to see today at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

ZeroSum76 wrote: »
    The stretch of Kilmacanogue down to Gorey missed out completely due to Anglesea. Lots of disappointed kids. Only a bit of graupel fell 24 hours ago but it didn't accumulate at all. As with others I have lowered expectations completely and don't expect Bray/Kilcoole/Rathnew/Wicklow/Arklow to get much of anything from the Beast. I am hoping the storm will make the Anglesea thing moot but confidence is shot now! Does anyone know technically why the shadows might not be a factor? I just don't see snow in these areas based on what's been happening. Anyone any thoughts?

To put it simply, the snow up till now has been lake effect snow, where cold upper airmasses travelling over warmer water creates massive convection of moisture from the Sea generating intense Snow Clouds that tuck in behind each other like cyclists slipstreaming each other. These streamers can be hit and miss, so even if they are coming in your direction they might still miss you by a mile or two where you get nothing but just up the road from you gets tonnes of snow. If you are lucky enough to be under a streamer for decent amount of time, Streamers can give you massive amounts of snow in a very short time.

The other problem with Streamers though is that they need a certain length of sea track to form the streamers. The distance from Liverpool to Dublin for example is long enough but the distance between the Western Coast of Wales and the Eastern Coast of Wicklow/Wexford is not long enough. In a North Easterly wind Wicklow has a long enough sea track from up beside the Isle of man but unfortunately for us this time the wind turned due east after Tuesday nights snow putting us in the Wales Snow shadow.

The Thursday/Friday snow event is different, that has nothing to do with lake effect snow and is simply a big wet storm coming up from the south and meeting very cold air blowing at us from the east and all the rain in the storm falling as snow instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

northgirl wrote: »
    Cobh over the last 24 hour. Deadly silence.

Same in Dublin city. Quiet as a mouse. Very eerie.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Can only describe the snowfall levels here in North Offaly as epic, close to ten inches level snow with bigger drifts. Effectively stuck here, local road not risking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Dublin 5 getting pounded again

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Vxlks

Waking up, looks like south dublin didn't really get that much snow last night, just a slight bit of accumulation overall. Guess ill have to wait for tonight's snowstorm!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,829 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

m17 wrote: »
    Annagh cross Co Galway 01/03/18

If you didn't know that junction your first question on seeing the stop sign would be "where exactly?"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Dial Hard wrote: »
    I'm just the other side of the Ballycullen Road in D24 and slept with my blind tipped last night. Every time I looked out (which was a lot!) it was snowing. Was expecting much more on the ground than there was when I got up earlier. I think the wind was blowing it away faster than it could accumulate.

Been snowing very lightly since, but, again, not a whole lot of it is actually making it to the ground.

I have to say, having read MT's forecast for today, I'm a little bit disappointed; it doesn't seem like we're going to get the snow I was hoping to see today at all.

I did the same last night, and was bitterly disappointed this morning.

I absolutely think this event has been completely overhyped, Wet snow later, and less than what we have had in the last 24 hours - doesn't instill confidence.

I get that we are in a shadow of Isle of Man/Wales or whatever, but it still sounds like today's predicted storm has had a downgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭pp_me

Waterford is getting absolutely pasted all morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

Corofin Co Galway 01/03/18IMAG3105_zps2ygggcb5.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,251 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Looks like a solid wall of streamers coming off the Irish Sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

pp_me wrote: »
    Waterford is getting absolutely pasted all morning.

It's belting down and does not look like it's about to stop either does it ...

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Vxlks

Is Emma bringing wet snow for places just like cork? or the entire country?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭bennyl10

IS Emma now it's as bad as first predicted?
    Or just as bad still?....

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Stephen Hawkins football boots

So the blizzards are now going to be wet Snow? What a non event

• Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

Mr.Boots wrote: »
    South East still set for a pelting?
    North wex

Very southeast here have had light snow falling since I got up around 7.30 but it's just not what I expected,
    I think Cork robbed all our Snow:D

Gaoth Laiders recent post in the Model thread does not inspire confidence with regard to Storm Emma. Models now suggesting less intense precipitation than expected and it might not even make it to Dublin and given Bray is only 12 miles south of Dublin........... :(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Kamili wrote: »
    I did the same last night, and was bitterly disappointed this morning.

I absolutely think this event has been completely overhyped, Wet snow later, and less than what we have had in the last 24 hours - doesn't instill confidence.

I get that we are in a shadow of Isle of Man/Wales or whatever, but it still sounds like today's predicted storm has had a downgrade.

In my part of Dublin, we got more snow overnight than the night before. Much more actually. Definitely not wet snow either. Some people here have measured over 20cm in total. That’s over eight inches and we haven’t even got to the blizzards yet.

The warning is red and has been extended nationwide. How is that a downgrade?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Where this from?
    ME saying persistent snow with winds from evening.

No not 'Wet' snow. 'Wetter' snow. ie. Better snow for making snowballs and snowmen. Actually sticks together rather than crumbling to Snow dust in your hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭brevity

Nothing at all in Northish Cork.

I'm losing hope that there will be any snow 'round my neck of the woods.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭bosco12345

Another 5cm added to the blanket last night in east Cavan, virginia area. About 7 inches of snow and high drifts in places. And it it just starting to snow again. -4.5 degrees

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭davidglanza

North side cork city

Advertisement