Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Calibos wrote: »
    If the forecast is correct and the winds are coming from an ENE direction then Dublin and Wicklow are in the bullseye for Streamers from the Irish Sea with the longest sea fetch which is geographically possible for us. ie. Morecambe Bay in the UK with a clear run for streamer formation all the way across the Irish Sea to us. A pure North Easterly puts us in the Snow shadow of the IOM and then a NNE puts us in the line of fire again.

I’d expect either an ENE or NE to give max fetch in the Arklow area
    East is usually dryer but the sex in the mix this time is quite literally kinks in the flow
    You get disturbances or shallow lows developing in the flow and all previous rules go out the window

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Snow angel

It’s not going to happen like that , you are better off ignoring that chart completely.

Sorry do you mean the blizzard won’t happen or the 850 temps won’t get back that high with snow cover?

kod87 wrote: »
    would it be snowfall though with uppers of 0 to -3, the lower temps will be low but above freezing at that stage? To me it would become a wintry mess at that stage.

Dewpoints
    Surface air temp
    Watch those

I don’t think that low will go that far north
    I’d say it will in reality reach Dublin and no further so I’d expect an all snow event from it

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭catrat12

What are the chances of a red warning

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Dewpoints
    Surface air temp
    Watch those

I’d say it will in reality reach Dublin and no further so I’d expect an all snow event from it

Looks like Bettystown will once again be sheltered from the worst. Even on some of the graphs it’s shown pretty much everywhere with snow but right on the east coast getting rain or snow!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Dewpoints
    Surface air temp
    Watch those

Yep, the current models keeps the warm pool south and the cold pool sitting on the majority of ireland. It's a dream scenario

• Registered Users Posts: 4,714 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

So any word on how this will play out on the South Coast particularly clonakilty to cork city?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

peasant wrote: »
    The Cork snowshield is just off for a week away in the Northwest around Donegal Bay:D

(much nicer there than Cork anyway)

Sitting right on the edge of Donegal Bay (40ft from waters edge)
    I have the distinct feeling looking at most charts that I will be lucky to see any snow whatsoever this week.

Am I right ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Balmed Out wrote: »
    So any word on how this will play out on the South Coast particularly clonakilty to cork city?

Nothing new other than the several comments over the last few pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Dewpoints
    Surface air temp
    Watch those

George Sunsnow is correct, also add the cold that will all ready be entrenched with possible snow cover in place and the wind coming off a very cold UK and the precipitation will also be heavy I would not worry about the upper temperature been - 3 - 5

• Advertisement

Drumpot wrote: »
    Looks like Bettystown will once again be sheltered from the worst. Even on some of the graphs it’s shown pretty much everywhere with snow but right on the east coast getting rain or snow!

I’d say all snow
    No marginality whatsoever even on the coast up there
    The airmass is likely to be freezing from cloud to ground

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭highdef

catrat12 wrote: »
    What are the chances of a red warning

Personally, I think a red warning at some stage during the coming week

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

ZX7R wrote: »
    George Sunsnow is correct, also add the cold that will all ready be entrenched with possible snow cover in place and the wind coming off a very cold UK and the precipitation will also be heavy I would not worry about the upper temperature been - 3 - 5

Ah, so it seems that the rule of adding 10C to uppers to get ground temp is very much context dependent then...

irish1967 wrote: »
    Sitting right on the edge of Donegal Bay (40ft from waters edge)
    I have the distinct feeling looking at most charts that I will be lucky to see any snow whatsoever this week.

Am I right ?

https://twitter.com/liamdutton/status/967162216502956032

• Registered Users Posts: 7,140 ✭✭✭pad199207

I’d say all snow
    No marginality whatsoever even on the coast up there
    The airmass is likely to be freezing from cloud to ground

I’d be aware of marginality on the immediate coast

2 days out, forecasts haven't gone haywire! Think it's safe to say that this won't be a repeat of the 2012 failed easterly.

Personally very excited here in West Clare, I'll look at making preparations today (people here will be a little slower as they can't comprehend the difference between an event from the East vs one from the north west, the latter being the most common and most disappointing).

Not sure what I can do ultimately. We've a gas heater that's entirely independent of electricity (it's portable and not connected to the mains), however everything else is electric, cooking, heating etc. If the power goes it's going to be fun! I'll try pick up a few foods edible without being cooked, maybe a bit of water and the other 'christmas' essentials!

Thanks to all my usual colleagues and the mods on this forum for making the build up to this very enjoyable, (perhaps too much so!). We'll likely remember this for years to come and this thread will be confined to the archives!

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Stephen Hawkins football boots

Dublin still on target for snow?

You'd have well heard if it wasn't being realistic!

pad199207 wrote: »
    I’d be aware of marginality on the immediate coast

In sub 520 dam ?
    Maybe 510 dam on tues and wenesday
    I don’t think so

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭noble00

I think my family are finally starting to believe me can't wait to say told ya , serious note at least they are getting some supplies now, just hope no person gets hurt next week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Strangegravy

Snow angel wrote: »
    Sorry do you mean the blizzard won’t happen or the 850 temps won’t get back that high with snow cover?

I think he meant that the chart was in FI territory, at 180hrs, so far out that the chances of that scenario happening were very unlikely anyway.

You were right though, with that chart it could have been marginal for snow/rain in the south, but the cold that would be over us at that stage would have probably given us a better than average chance of snow.

But most of the in the know posters on here think that the GFS was pushing that low too high anyway, so either way it looks unlikely unless it keeps on showing up on future charts to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Mafra

noble00 wrote: »
    I think my family are finally starting to believe me can't wait to say told ya , serious note at least they are getting some supplies now, just hope no person gets hurt next week

Lots of people will get hurt if it doesn’t material I suspect..

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

My better half committed the ultimate sin by telling the kids of pending snow,every five minutes it's 'Will it snow today?' ,meant to be Monday folks isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

gerrybhoy wrote: »
    My better half committed the ultimate sin by telling the kids of pending snow,every five minutes it's 'Will it snow today?' ,meant to be Monday folks isn't it?

Tuesday evening

Nah get your BBQ dusted down

Snowbiee21 wrote: »
    Tuesday evening
    magic,least now I might get some peace,cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,397 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

JCX BXC wrote: »
    2 days out, forecasts haven't gone haywire! Think it's safe to say that this won't be a repeat of the 2012 failed easterly.

Personally very excited here in West Clare, I'll look at making preparations today (people here will be a little slower as they can't comprehend the difference between an event from the East vs one from the north west, the latter being the most common and most disappointing).

Not sure what I can do ultimately. We've a gas heater that's entirely independent of electricity (it's portable and not connected to the mains), however everything else is electric, cooking, heating etc. If the power goes it's going to be fun! I'll try pick up a few foods edible without being cooked, maybe a bit of water and the other 'christmas' essentials!

Thanks to all my usual colleagues and the mods on this forum for making the build up to this very enjoyable, (perhaps too much so!). We'll likely remember this for years to come and this thread will be confined to the archives!

I assume Shannon will get a nice plastering aswell so?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Ah, so it seems that the rule of adding 10C to uppers to get ground temp is very much context dependent then...

Simple answer yes, the snow showers /streamers forecast Ed from the Monday night would be reilent on cold uppers - 8and lower, but the Friday snow would have the cold factor all ready in place, reason's given all ready, similar to a front coming from the west and giving frontal snow

JCX BXC wrote: »

!
    Even here in the east there’s a lot of that too along the lines of ‘Shur we never got any that was forecast all winter’
    I expect they’re in for a rude awakening!

• Advertisement

I assume Shannon will get a nice plastering aswell so?

Possibly, to be honest our banner county is so far west I wouldn't expect snow until I see it falling. Shannon has the advantage of getting a TAF which should give you a better idea of the snow chances nearly 24, hours out.

If Friday stays on track you can be sure there's no avoiding it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement