Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

The EPSgrams show maxima in Dublin of below zero Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,758 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The charts will change as the week goes on but a real possibility of heavy snow towards the weekend. This chart from the ECM showing the potential . To be seen as a guide at present, fine details well off yet.

If that came to pass the Cork Snow shield myth would be confined to history!

The city and county councils could sell it for scrap. It'd be a shame not to get a few quid for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Steopo

For those wondering about travel plans. Currently there is a strong possibility of significant travel disruption in Ireland & UK next week but Orange/Red weather warnings or flight cancellations won’t happen until more certainty & closer to the main event (Tues onwards). Flight cancellations depend on lots of factors - temp (de-icing planes), snow intensity, timing of snow falling (they can clear runways quickly), size of airport etc.., If you like certainty or plan traveling around by car you should probably think about canceling otherwise for most cancellation policies you’re better off waiting for your airline to cancel.

Oh I just remembered I'm meant to have a driving lesson on Thursday, lol. I have a driving test scheduled for mid March but if we do get prolonged snow it's unlikely I'll be ready for it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭tiegan

Love this thread, the anticipation and excitement. Most exciting thing that's happened on here since 2010, having missed Ophelia. But double edged sword as I work nights outdoors Sun to Fri!! But still would not miss this - I'm ready, bring it on!!

1gbtly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

kod87 wrote: »
    cork snow shield down for maintenance next week then

This setup is perfect for cork. Normally it rains in cork when everyone else gets snow due to warm water \ southern location. That issue has been taken away, just too cold for rain. Any precip will be snow and as we know, Cork can get a lot of precip.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Longboard

More like someone reversed the polarity on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭TECH85

Just cant believe coming on here this morning to read , another possible upgrade again !!
    Everyday for past week i was fully expecting some bit of a downplay on how severe this event is going to be ..
    Fair play to all the regular guys that provide great info and advice to everyone , we knew this was happening way before met eireann or anyone else had even hinted at it.
    Looks like its going to be one to remember ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭IE 222

Wonder do the councils have enough grit or will they run out again. Would someone be trying to get as much as possible delivered at short notice or do they literally just wait and see how bad it get first.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,319 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Weather underground app now saying 6 consecutive days with snow next week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

This is very bittersweet for me here in Cork. Have an interview next Wednesday for a permanent position that would literally be life-changing. Hopefully the real bad stuff stays away from us here until next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Anyone with chronic health needs living in isolated areas would need to be advised now to make arrangements to be able to access help if needed urgently next week or there will be deaths next week ...anyone thinking of going for hikes in the mountains later next week should be warned of consequences for misuse of resources if they need a helicopter rescue.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The Cork snowshield is just off for a week away in the Northwest around Donegal Bay:D

(much nicer there than Cork anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Ok I have a wedding in killkenny on Thursday and I have to drive from the Portlaoise area on Wednesday evening...what are the chances of me getting there and more importantly Home without to much hassle.
    I have cancelled plans before when these weather warnings were put in place and ended up in a situation where I did not need to cancel my plans at all.
    I do realise different areas could be hit harder than others like what happened with ophelia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭dacogawa

That is some run again from the ECM...

tempresult_ffp4.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

harr wrote: »
    Ok I have a wedding in killkenny on Thursday and I have to drive from the Portlaoise area on Wednesday evening...what are the chances of me getting there and more importantly Home without to much hassle.
    I have cancelled plans before when these weather warnings were put in place and ended up in a situation where I did not need to cancel my plans at all.
    I do realise different areas could be hit harder than others like what happened with ophelia.

You might get an answer by Tuesday evening.
    Anything before that is speculation

harr wrote: »

I think you are best leaving that decision till Tuesday, your travel route could be in the line of heavy streamers if they make it in that far and normal frontal snow, the Wicklow mountains could be a friend to your journey and take most of the hit but I wouldn't bank on it, I'd be around 70/30 that it would be quite a bit of hassle at the moment but as said I'd leave it till Tuesday if you can, I wouldn't be too surprised if the wedding was postponed anyway if things do progress...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Neddyusa wrote: »
    You might get an answer by Tuesday evening.
    Anything before that is speculation
    Thanks taught as much..Tuesday is leaving it late to cancel as we have a few bits to do during the wedding ..will make a decision on Monday

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Experts saying bulk of this will miss Dublin now thankfully and southern Leinster/Munster will get most accumulations.

What experts? who are they? do you have links ?

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

Quiet one this morning :)
    802 (246 members & 556 guests) Moderators : 5

lapua20grain, curfumsarinn, dexter647, downwiththatsor, ronman, NATLOR, Malayalam, cristeoir, threetrees, MajesticDonkey, diceyd, koutoubia, Oops69, Cows Go µ, mkdon05, derekon, Planet X, Dollseyes, Flika, john why, steer, Buttros, YanSno, Lady_North1, oisingeogho, SimonMaher, piratequeen, Ordinary man, Nickla, Manitoban, HankSchrader, beecees, blackberry jam, Say my name, torres9kop, davehey79, RebelButtMunch, Barnaboy, ZappaMan, Eaglebridie 32, hairyslug, Colonel Claptrap, mickrourke, kit3, aonchraic, Meteorite58, beefburrito, Lightscribe, glenmac, yellowlabrador, wadacrack, boomslang, mirrorwall14, tertials, Burlap_Sack, Johnnysneachta, Strangegravy, sweetmaggie, drive it, doseire, cdev, md323, munsterlegend, je551e, c_murph, Cushtie, Longing, mvron, Burts Bee, CeilingFly, sumtings, RiseToMe, Snoddy, Squaredude, dsaint1, KingBobby, bluedoor27, VW 1, LEIN, igorbiscan, dacogawa, Casher, TitianGerm, Max Prophet, Musicman2000, Suresanders, harr, cowana, QA1, ReturnOfThe, ZX7R, Ahorseofaman, bogman_bass, Beef, Mama lion, 42inchchest, hubluh, leahyl, force eleven, Working class heroes, brianwalshcork, Pete2k, fully floating, irishfeen, cdsb46, AdamB, coffeyt, 1holly1, Uaz, newholland mad, shaddupayaface, dsagra, King of Spades, jimmyjim11, jack01986, Aaronh86, stephenjmcd, RazorT, Ravage1616, BabyEater, adocholiday, Sikie, macrocycle_24, Nuno, NinjaTruncs, Mgst, ch750536, JackieChan, FrDougalMcguire, highdef, RandomAccess, divil_a_bit, Leaksireland, Longboard, bargainbucket, petejmk, sunbabe08, Neddyusa, beco, Lu Tze, shellycub, wakka12, White Clover, Olympiad1972, CardinalJ, diarmuid79, Call me Al, pmq71, brevity, jpfahy, Mad Benny, Carol25, KathleenF, Timfy, monkeynuz, ongarite, currants, pp_me, pjohnson, crisco10, leeash10, blazermel, finlma, harvester of sorrow, Daniel2590, Gaoth Laidir, captain_boycott, Strasser, R.O.R, Akrasia, lawred2, jambofc, Pinch Flat, Petal765, Julia68, barrac, lordstilton, bazlers, mymo, saxman 1, Topgear on Dave, ollie1, dave1982, James74, edison, JMNolan, Newtown90, Lenny5, Sunjava, Doctor Jimbob, royalflush2003, MotoringAlong, Giblet, Wigster, Reckless Abandonment, germanicus, aurora 527, mojesius, Tom Cruises Left Nut, focus68, Mat the trasher, WhatsGoingOn2, smodgley, mahoney_j, Cloudio9, Grudle, Michelle_b, Indestructable, JJayoo, coillsaille, gpdrcd, MaceFace, Bio Mech, alta stare, Iused2likebusts, amor3, What.Now, padraig.od, lampsie, kkontour, mrskinner, bauney, LeakRate, Kutebride

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

It's hard to believe, waking up and there seems to be more upgrades to the charts

ARPEGE holding back on snow until late Tuesday evening but then a smack to the East coast over night, I think we'll see some snow and streamers before that as other models suggest, this is going to be some event for the east!

arpegeuk-1-100-0.png?24-05

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Strangegravy

ch750536 wrote: »
    Rest of the country perspective for a moment:
    I dont think the initial days will bring snow my way. I think cork may get some, tipp may get some but I think Mon-Weds looks dry to me for lowland kerry, limerick, clare. Maybe a couple of flurries.
    Thurs- Fri looks very interesting though. Will be good to see how the charts evolve.
    kod87 wrote: »
    I'm not sure even tipp will see anything, easterly sourced showers simply never make it that far (i'm basing this on past experiences, maybe this time it will be different), maybe later in the week though.

Yeah, not expecting anything but extreme cold here, east Limerick. We didn't get any snow at all 2010, we were part of that small bubble. But hoping that the low pressure that's forecast to undercut the cold on Thurs/Friday, pushes up just enough to give us an epic snowfall, but not enough that it turns to it to rain.

It's been a pretty perfect setup so far in so far as getting the cold air in, sure what could go wrong in hoping for a bit of snow for all those who want it? :D

I usually take all these weather warnings with a pinch of salt and have needlessly cancelled many events (particularly mountain hikes) as a result this winter. I hate cold weather and snow (sorry guys!)

But I’m in coastal north Dublin /Louth border so I’m definitely taking this one seriously - it looks very different and even Met Eireann started making references to it a week ago

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Snowfalls of 10 to 30 cms are possible in Leinster and 5 to 20 cms in some parts of Munster, inland southeast Connacht, and much of Ulster except likely less in Donegal.
    Donegaleans
    UGcRTyW.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

I love snow and get excited at the mention of it but I gave up following these threads a long long time ago...

Time after time, always a complete let down..

I haven’t read this thread but it keeps popping up
    on the main page so I’m assuming we’re all being given reason to get excited again..

Just wondering, is there any reason to believe it’ll be any different this time ?

Or is this just more boards hype that’ll amount to absolutely nothing..

I don't think I've seen Met Eireann have such a warning so far out before about Wednesday-Friday.

From met.ie:

Monday: It will still be mainly dry on Monday, with some sunny spells at first, but cloud will thicken from the east with perhaps the odd light snow flurry in eastern areas, later in the day. Very cold with afternoon temperatures of 3 or 4 degrees Celsius in eastern counties and around 5 or 6 degrees Celsius in the west and southwest in a moderate east to southeast breeze. It will be very cold on Monday night with a severe frost and the risk of snow showers along northern and eastern and southern coastal fringes in moderate easterly winds. Lows of -2 to -4 C.

Tuesday: Some sunny spells on Tuesday, but cloudier in eastern and southern counties especially with occasional sleet and snow showers and possibly some more prolonged falls of snow in some parts later in the day. Daytime temperatures similar to Monday, 2 to 4 degrees Celsius in the midlands and east about 5 or 6 degrees Celsius in more western and southwestern parts.

Wednesday through to Friday: Extremely cold with severe frosts and daytime temperatures struggling to get above zero by day especially in eastern counties. Widespread snow showers at times, most especially in eastern, southern and northern counties and some disruptive accumulations are likely especially these areas and there is a weather advisory in operation, which will be continuously updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Swanner wrote: »
    I love snow and get excited at the mention of it but I gave up following these threads a long long time ago...

on the main page so I’m assuming we’re all being given reason to get excited again..

Just wondering, is there any reason to believe it’ll be any different this time ?

if you've stopped reading the threads how will you read the responses ?

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

Well the mainstream media,weather reporters,experts in this field, are all reporting the upcoming cold spell sp yeah absolutely nothing will happen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,430 ✭✭✭Gerry

If you take a look at met.ie the forecast has the sentence "snow moving in"

Anyone worried about driving with BMW or other rear wheel drive car really needs to listen to the advice given earlier in the thread.
    Put a few bags of coal in the boot. You want at least 100kg in there. If you have all season tyres or mud and snow ( marked m+s ) that will help a lot also. Then it will be fine.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement