Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

If you live in the south of England yes.

Oh yes of course. I'm just wondering if that impacts us much. Maybe more snow for Leinster?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

I hope it is. We would get an epic snow fall but the risk of it been washed away straight after it falls.

It wouldn't get washed away per ECM this morning which keeps the cold air. A lot of uncertainty about the track and movement of this low. It's a long way away but models are consistently showing it coming north close to Ireland and the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

sryanbruen wrote:
    I’d appreciate people not down on the hype if they have zero evidence to back themselves up. Sure, you’re entitled to your opinion though. I just find it irritating how people come to these conclusions with no evidence to back themselves up.

highdef wrote:
    So you judge the severity of the weather on temperature alone?

highdef wrote:
    Do you consider -18c and a few cm of snow to be worse than 30+cm of snow @-3c?

highdef wrote:
    Even if temperature records are not broken, the sheer amount of snow currently being forecast in many Eastern areas is record breaking. Are you saying that if that happens but it's only a few degrees below freezing at the same time, then it's not as bad as 2010?

Here here. Everybody is entitled to their opinion but if they are not able to back it up, especially with facts (in this Forum, it's worth v little). Temperature is simply only 1 aspect, as most of us know. Yes it can cause problems and depending on where you may live (e.g in Europe, they may vary). Heavy snowfall and blizzard conditions can and do cause issues almost everywhere. I'd be more wary of temperatures near zero as opposed to max. Daily -5c or <.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Oh yes of course. I'm just wondering if that impacts us much. Maybe more snow for Leinster?

Yes it would with a serious amount of Snow for Leinster .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭kod87

the GFS brings in all sorts of milder modification for the southern half of the country by next weekend, making snow more marginal in those situations.

But the GFS has been chopping and changing the low pressures position in all recent runs so it's far from set in stone. The ECM this morning was having none of this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

for those who think this is all hype and even though the weather charts are screaming snow and freezing temps for next week, I've this to put to u........... try and post on this page next Wednesday and if the page hasn't crashed lol try seeing you're post with the multiple posts and pics flooding in with snow reports :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

hairyslug wrote: »
    How bad are we expecting it to be around north wexford/gorey, my 3 kids are all too young to remember any significant snow so it will hopefully be a nice surprise to them.

We are going to get lots of snow. Even more if the low forecast to move in on Friday keeps on track. The beauty of being on this side of the country with Easterly/NE flows is the snow being generated off the Irish sea and us in the firing line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭beefburrito

Just ordered €200 worth of kerosene.
    Clare oil are inundated with calls.

Check your oil tanks ladies and gentlemen.

Mines well low...

dacogawa wrote: »
    I don't think I've seen Met Eireann have such a warning so far out before about Wednesday-Friday.

From met.ie:

Monday: It will still be mainly dry on Monday, with some sunny spells at first, but cloud will thicken from the east with perhaps the odd light snow flurry in eastern areas, later in the day. Very cold with afternoon temperatures of 3 or 4 degrees Celsius in eastern counties and around 5 or 6 degrees Celsius in the west and southwest in a moderate east to southeast breeze. It will be very cold on Monday night with a severe frost and the risk of snow showers along northern and eastern and southern coastal fringes in moderate easterly winds. Lows of -2 to -4 C.

Tuesday: Some sunny spells on Tuesday, but cloudier in eastern and southern counties especially with occasional sleet and snow showers and possibly some more prolonged falls of snow in some parts later in the day. Daytime temperatures similar to Monday, 2 to 4 degrees Celsius in the midlands and east about 5 or 6 degrees Celsius in more western and southwestern parts.

Wednesday through to Friday: Extremely cold with severe frosts and daytime temperatures struggling to get above zero by day especially in eastern counties. Widespread snow showers at times, most especially in eastern, southern and northern counties and some disruptive accumulations are likely especially these areas and there is a weather advisory in operation, which will be continuously updated.

Met Eireann have been mentioning this event for the last week ....... but so far have not issued warnings as it’s too soon to do so . They never issues warnings until about 2 days before an event , probably because of accuracy and likelihood of changes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

bazlers wrote: »
    Would it jinx it all if I make a sleigh today☔️☔️
    too deep for sleighs I'm afraid, work on a helicopter maybe .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

Swanner wrote: »
    And i'm entitled to share it.

Having followed these threads and got excited umpteen times over many years only to have absolutely nothing happen, i simply popped in to ask if there was any reason to believe this time will be any different.

If there was I may follow it and start to get excited, if not, i'll just ignore it.

Not sure why the defensive responses..

Short answer. Yes there is a reason to believe this will be different to the disappointments most other years.

Most other years absolutely every Computer model isn't in agreement. Most other years things are on a knife edge, if such and such a system moves 100km west we'll get snow if not we'll get nothing, or if the temperature is one degree colder that moisture laden low pressure moving in will fall as snow on its front edge, if that system stays 50km further south etc etc. Most years things are on a knife edge and invariably Ireland ends up on the wrong side of things and the Atlantic wins out.

This is not one of those times. Every single computer model is in agreement for the last week about next week. The Beast from the East is coming. We can see how cold its getting as it crosses Scandinavia. We can see its aimed directly at us. We can see how strong the push is that its actually going to bulldoze its way across the north atlantic to Eastern Canada, which means no Atlantic influence to ruin the party. By the time the Atlantic takes a shot the cold is so deeply embedded that its highly likely an Atlantic Low will dump snow on us if it tracks over us. We are absolutely no shadow of a doubt going to have a 2010 level event where the East Coast gets pasted with snow while the rest of the country goes into the freezer. But it could turn into a 1987 or 1982 level event if the Atlantic low forecast for Saturday week takes the right track and that could dump snow over the whole country except the North.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭smallwonder

Pangea wrote: »
    Donegaleans
    UGcRTyW.gif

It would be so weird if Donegal escaped this event!! I'm hoping the models change track slightly in our favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Snow angel

Please excuse my ignorance on this but people have mention the gfs shows blizzard like conditions in the FI next weekend. I was wondering how this can happen when the 850 temps are only -4 at best in the south? Can someone explain to which chart shows these conditions as I only understand 2-3 of the charts personally. Just want to learn, not doubting anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Strangegravy

NIMAN wrote: »
    I think to be fair, Swanner has a point.

The media do hype the weather up far too much. They are using adjectives now that simply aren't required. Its the nature of media I suppose, everything has to be bigger, better, badder, more severe, even if its not. The Indo website absolutely love talking about weather. Daily Mail thrive on it too. Everyone loves a coloured weather warning.

I have read people say this will be as bad as 2010. Really? Its going to hit -18C?

How come I watched the weather forecast last night on RTE, and they told us it might get to -3C...a massive -3C....it was the same temperature a couple of weeks ago when I was commuting home from night shifts. And there was no chaos on the roads.

I too think we are going see another anti-climax on this.

To be fair, the media WILL go off on one with this, but that's what they do... sensationalism.

But in saying that, this cold will be locked in at least for a few days; it's coming from an easterly direction, which caused snow streamers along most of the East coast of the country in 2010.

If the M50 gets caught under one, which is going happen due to it's size, then that's going to cause a bit of panic and chaos to those nervous about driving in those conditions; not to mention reckless drivers who'll get cocky saying it's grand and risk spinning out and causing more chaos! I know there's more to Ireland than Dublin, but have you seen how they react on here when they get a few snowflakes.... the place goes into meltdown, and to be fair they have the numbers! :D

You'll also see pictures of cars and trucks in snowy ditches, having failed in attempts to get up snowy/icy hills all along the east coast; it's inevitable with this kind of set up.

Of course some parts of the country will be unaffected by snow, with people saying it's just a bit of cold; but these temperatures upper and lower in March are unheard of for Ireland. I guarantee you'll be be sick of hearing the phrase, "Jaaysuuss... I haven't felt cold like this in years/before" by the end of next week! :D

I do definitely see this as an East/S.East/N.East ish, set up for chances of serious snow, but the longer this cold setup continues, the greater risk to the rest of the country.

Some of the best weather charts in years for a cold/snowy setup are now just 72-96 hrs away, that is in a VERY reliable time frame. I suppose it depends on your definition of anti-climatic really, but it's definitely going to be very interesting watching it all unfold whatever happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

kod87 wrote: »
    the GFS brings in all sorts of milder modification for the southern half of the country by next weekend, making snow more marginal in those situations.

But the GFS has been chopping and changing the low pressures position in all recent runs so it's far from set in stone. The ECM this morning was having none of this.

The UK met office not backing GFS solution either and don't expect it to track as far north as modelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Met Eireann have been mentioning this event for the last week ....... but so far have not issued warnings as it’s too soon to do so . They never issues warnings until about 2 days before an event , probably because of accuracy and likelihood of changes etc.

I do know their 24/48 hour rule, not sure they have been mentioning it for the last week though, more of a mention about cold temperatures. What I was pointing out is their wording from Wednesday-Friday, a long way out and phrases like "struggling to get above zero by day", "Widespread snow showers" & "some disruptive accumulations are likely" is very un-met.ie at that timescale.

hairyslug wrote: »
    How bad are we expecting it to be around north wexford/gorey, my 3 kids are all too young to remember any significant snow so it will hopefully be a nice surprise to them.

You are going to need a true North Easterly or North North Easterly at your location. If the wind direction is an East North Easterly as forecast I'm afraid Gorey will be in the Snow shadow of Wales. I wouldn't go telling the kids to get excited yet I'm afraid. It'll be bitter ice days for you guaranteed but any Irish Sea snow streamers for you will depend on wind direction. You probably have a better chance of a dumping near the weekend when that Atlantic low pushes up from the South West.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭beefburrito

North Clare's going to get pasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Snow angel wrote: »
    Please excuse my ignorance on this but people have mention the gfs shows blizzard like conditions in the FI next weekend. I was wondering how this can happen when the 850 temps are only -4 at best in the south? Can someone explain to which chart shows these conditions as I only understand 2-3 of the charts personally. Just want to learn, not doubting anyone.

It’s not going to happen like that , you are better off ignoring that chart completely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Max Prophet

V unremarkable weather update on RTE 1 TV. Dunno why they aren't preparing people more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

dacogawa wrote: »
    I do know their 24/48 hour rule, not sure they have been mentioning it for the last week though, more of a mention about cold temperatures. What I was pointing out is their wording from Wednesday-Friday, a long way out and phrases like "struggling to get above zero by day", "Widespread snow showers" & "some disruptive accumulations are likely" is very un-met.ie at that timescale.

But they are damed if they do and damed if they don't.

The media and many here are hyping this into the stratosphere.

I'm old enougha nd wise enough to understand that weather patterns can change dramatically over a few days especially as Ireland is on the outer edge of this system.

Currently UK met not forecasting snow for Wales or western UK, just for central and east England. Yes, it will pick up moisture from the Irish sea and snow showers will come in, but until Monday / Tuesday, the "disruptive snow" element cannot be forecasted with any accuracy whatsoever.

And if there's a slight change, we may get feck all snow and there'll be a lot of red faces here.

There won't be any red faces in the media as sensationalist hysterics are part and parcel of their trade these days and truth and balance never matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Calibos wrote: »
    You are going to need a true North Easterly or North North Easterly at your location. If the wind direction is an East North Easterly as forecast I'm afraid Gorey will be in the Snow shadow of Wales. I wouldn't go telling the kids to get excited yet I'm afraid. It'll be bitter ice days for you guaranteed but any Irish Sea snow streamers for you will depend on wind direction. You probably have a better chance of a dumping near the weekend when that Atlantic low pushes up from the South West.

Break it to me gently; is the Bray Snow Shield aka the Isle of Man going to wreck this?

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭ilovetorun

Fingers crossed waterford will get lucky, what are the chances?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,873 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

met.ie 3C and rain for tuesday for dublin

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

CeilingFly wrote: »
    The media and many here are hyping this into the stratosphere.

Oh I'm sorry for telling you scientific facts.

Not to mention, your post here (the part about being old and wise) contradicts what you said in December.
    CeilingFly wrote: »
    Can you state your expertise in metrology that gives you such a standing that you can question experts?

I've very little knowledge, but I do know that Ireland has some of the most changeable weather in the world. Atmosphere is constantly moving, the Atlantic and the coastal mountains can mean last minute changes especially in volatile systems such as this.

Its also why its called a "forecast" not a "certainty"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

It would be so weird if Donegal escaped this event!! I'm hoping the models change track slightly in our favour.

Donegal gets deep snow most winters from the north or west. Much more reliable than the Beast. Time to spread out the fun a little. If fun it is eventually....

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

This mornings GFS wants a 2 day battleground over Ireland next weekend, meaning likely prolonged heavy snowfall for the most of the country if current forecasts pay off.

B0jangles wrote: »
    Break it to me gently; is the Bray Snow Shield aka the Isle of Man going to wreck this?

If the forecast is correct and the winds are coming from an ENE direction then Dublin and Wicklow are in the bullseye for Streamers from the Irish Sea with the longest sea fetch which is geographically possible for us. ie. Morecambe Bay in the UK with a clear run for streamer formation all the way across the Irish Sea to us. A pure North Easterly puts us in the Snow shadow of the IOM and then a NNE puts us in the line of fire again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭kod87

This mornings GFS wants a 2 day battleground over Ireland next weekend, meaning likely prolonged heavy snowfall for the most of the country if current forecasts pay off.

would it be snowfall though with uppers of 0 to -3, the lower temps will be low but above freezing at that stage? To me it would become a wintry mess at that stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭molly dolly

My dad due to go from Wicklow hills near Shillelagh to Kilkenny for eye surgery next Thursday 😌 highly unlikely - I've warned him and mum have all their medication in. Mums freezer could survive a nuclear winter its so well stocked. Just did my own prep but ordered oil top up last Tuesday still no delivery 😩

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement