Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

sryanbruen wrote: »
    The lowest minimum of January 1982 in Ireland was -14.6c at Birr on the 12th. The lowest in the UK was -27.2c on the 10th.

Ireland's minimum of that spell there has the potential to be beaten unlike the UK in my opinion.

archives-1982-1-10-0-1.png

archives-1982-1-12-0-1.png

Would I be right in 'remembering'/thinking -10°c Dundalk and 20miles or so just west of Dundalk around Carrickmacross -15°c!?.. Ohh I'm on about the last BIG event 10yrs ago...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Casualsingby

One thing I haven't seen discussed much is the wind. Doesn't take much wind in these conditions to cause serious damage to power lines. Sub zero, heavy snow, wind, no better lamppost viewing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Oh I'm sorry for telling you scientific facts.

Not to mention, your post here (the part about being old and wise) contradicts what you said in December.

I fully accept I do not have fantastic knowledge of metreology, but I fully understand that forecasting in a country like Ireland more than 4-5 days out is pure guesswork. (It's taught in primary schools)

Many here are assuming massive snow falls - not all are, there are many regulars who are saying "possible" and Good chances of" which is perfectly acceptable, but until Monday / Tuesday there simply won't be certainty as to what actually will happen.

All I'm saying is that a large snowfall is not a certainty and with Ireland being on the edge of the system, a very small atmospheric change can make thing quite different.

Even MT is being cautious and saying there can't be any certainty until Monday/Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

If we get 20% of 82 the country will be at a stand still.
    8cm of snow will cause havoc although roads and cars are much better than in 82 the volume of traffic is much greater. And we just don't get enough of this weather to be good at dealing with it.
    Ophelias has changed how the county will react to red warnings. If a red warning is issued everything will stop. Employers won't take the risk of opening. Have we gotten softer or smarter I don't know..

Smarter I hope, these events don't happen often, as a country we don't have the expertise or experience to deal with it, so sometimes red warnings are needed, the only people that will complain will be the money hungry employers.
    Rant over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

This tweet from bbc Wales weatherman Derek Brockway
    And he’s kind enough to mention Dublin!

https://twitter.com/derektheweather/status/967360045162926082

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Is there any snow prospects showing up for the NW at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Would I be right in 'remembering'/thinking -10°c Dundalk and 20miles or so just west of Dundalk around Carrickmacross -15°c!?.. Ohh I'm on about the last BIG event 10yrs ago...

These were the January 1982 minimum temperatures for various stations around Ireland.

Oak Park; -13.2c on the 12th
    Shannon Airport; -8.2c on the 12th
    Fermoy; -10.0c on the 12th
    Roche's Point; -0.8c on the 11th
    Glencolumbkille; -7.3c on the 11th
    Glenties; -8.2c on the 12th
    Malin Head; -5.6c on the 11th
    Casement Aerodrome; -12.1c on the 12th
    Dublin Airport; -7.2c on the 12th
    Galway; -9.2c on the 12th
    Killarney; -5.5c on the 12th
    Cahirciveen; -1.6c on the 11th
    Ardfert; -7.5c on the 12th
    Kilkenny; -13.4c on the 12th
    Mooncoin; -10.1c on the 13th
    Ardee; -12.1c on the 9th
    Ballinrobe; -12.4c on the 12th
    Belmullet; -8.1c on the 12th
    Claremorris; -11.7c on the 12th
    Glenamoy; -10.9c on the 12th
    Dunsany; -14.0c on the 12th
    Clones; -12.4c on the 12th
    Birr; -14.6c on the 12th
    Dungarvan; -4.4c on the 12th
    Mullingar; -11.5c on the 12th
    John F. Kennedy Park; -6.7c on the 12th
    Johnstown Castle; -3.2c on the 12th
    Rosslare; -1.2c on the 12th

Data originally sourced from Met Éireann.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Pangea wrote: »
    Is there any snow prospects showing up for the NW at all?

I posted the fax from Liam Dutton with the UK fax for Tuesday with an upside down low over donegal
    So yes but depending on how weakened it has come by the it’s travelling from the North Sea into higher pressure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I don't know if anybody looked at the UKMO long range update today but my is it a cracker of an update! They seem to show no agreement on the GFS bringing milder conditions. The GFS OP is on its own.
    UK Outlook for Sunday 11 Mar 2018 to Sunday 25 Mar 2018:
    The start of this period is likely to remain very cold across much of the UK, with bitterly cold easterly winds giving a significant wind chill. There will continue to be a risk of snow across southern, eastern and some central areas, but in the north and west it should be drier. Frosts will continue to be widespread and severe in places. As we head towards the middle of March it may turn more unsettled and less cold with milder and wetter weather spreading up from the south or southwest. This may lead to further significant snow in places although this remains very uncertain. Northern areas may hang on to the colder weather well into March.

Utterly impossible to take this sort of thing seriously, computer models extrapolating for a month based on data that is variable when looking only a week ahead are worthless. They withdrew the issuing of seasonal forecasts for a reason (the infamous Barbecue summer), the monthly ones should be treated with similar contempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,144 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Something we may see happening again in the next week ;) Scenes of 1982 courtesy of the RTE archieves.

http://www.rte.ie/archives/2016/0115/760459-the-big-snow/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Casualsingby

Met office. Strong winds will lead to drifting of snow, and lightning could be an additional hazard, particularly near North Sea, Irish Sea and English Channel coasts. By the end of Wednesday, more than 20 cm may have accumulated in places in some eastern counties of England, Scotland and Northern Ireland from a culmination of Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday's snow showers.

Easily red for the East if that comes to pass.

km79 wrote: »
    gerrybhoy wrote: »
    Nah get your BBQ dusted down

I am cleaning ours out today as a backup if electricity goes ......

I just put in a new gas canister today as backup :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

We just picked up a gas cylinder heater to have just in case. We’ve only been here a year and a half and lost electricity twice. With GFCH I’m not taking any chances. It’s our forever house so it can live in the shed and come Out as we need it for the next thirty years!

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭lolokeogh

as usual great thread,im heading of to wales next weeks,next friday by sea?does anyone think this could be a no go come then?

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Brianmeath

lolokeogh wrote: »
    as usual great thread,im heading of to wales next weeks,next friday by sea?does anyone think this could be a no go come then?

You be able to drive over by the way things are shaping up.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Tzmaster90

Wales might be keep up-to-date on here

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

An ice breaker will clear a path out of Dublin port

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

So at some stage over the next week if a red warning is issued we should expect to see Leo give an Ophelia style press conference dishing out his words of wisdom to all and sundry. Can`t wait for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Me too. Up in the air at the moment, dont know what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭typhoony

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,010 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Tzardine wrote: »
    Me too. Up in the air at the moment, dont know what to do.

Don't worry, looks like the weather will make all the relevant decisions for those planning to travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

There's a lot of people in for a big shock over next 2 days, it's glorious out, was in the garden building a sled for the last hour or so, it's balmy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

kenmc wrote: »
    There's a lot of people in for a big shock over next 2 days, it's glorious out, was in the garden building a sled for the last hour or so, it's balmy.

Balmy?! I’m absolutely frozen since I got up this morning...there’s def something brewing

• Registered Users Posts: 39,758 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

leahyl wrote: »
    Balmy?! I’m absolutely frozen since I got up this morning...there’s def something brewing

Aye. Balmy is not how I'd describe the weather in cork city right now. The wind is freezing when it blows.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Yep, beautiful spring day out there today. Sunny, calm and dry. Went up to get some fuel for the fire and at least some people know what's on the way, was busy!

Bought a snow shovel in 2010 after they came back in stock - too late for back then. 8 years on I might finally get to use it! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Overcast on the south coast so it's raw.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

Takes a lot for me to moan about the cold,took the kids out there to shops,was bastardin baltic

• Registered Users Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

leahyl wrote: »

Yep it's cold out there. I found yesterday worse but maybe more prepared today for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,951 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

So at some stage over the next week if a red warning is issued we should expect to see Leo give an Ophelia style press conference dishing out his words of wisdom to all and sundry. Can`t wait for that.

I'm surprised there's no talk on the news about the homeless and provisions being made for them during this potential period of snowmagedon. Surely there's sufficient warning now to be putting measures in place and advising people in that situation where they can take shelter if it gets as bad as expected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Rockfish

How are flights likely to be affected? Due to fly out from Dublin 6.30am Wednesday morning. I never paid much heed before as wasnt personally affected

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement