Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

N22 - Macroom to Ballyvourney (Macroom Bypass) [open to traffic]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Roadrunner99

Anything come out of the national development plan today on the macroom bypass?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Anything come out of the national development plan today on the macroom bypass?

It's funded as it always was, Q1 2020 start with minor scope for acceleration

marno21 wrote: »
    It's funded as it always was, Q1 2020 start with minor scope for acceleration

Thanks marno

With no talk of the ovens bypass in the national development plan when is a realistic date we'll see this section of the n22 completed?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,113 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Well the NDP runs to 2040. At least 10/15 years before it might be seriously looked at, I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Water John wrote: »
    Well the NDP runs to 2040. At least 10/15 years before it might be seriously looked at, I'd say.
    The NDP runs to 2027. As there is no funding for planning & design in the NDP, the earliest the N22/M22 scheme will start construction would be 2031, assuming the NDP remains the State plan until 2027 and the M22 scheme is included in the post-2027 plan.

Maybe you might drive on it in 2034, even though it a named scheme for dualling in the 1998 Road Needs Study.

Just wondering when does the archaeological work on this project finish? Was driving through macroom yesterday and I saw them working on a piece of the proposed bypass on the killarney side of the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭cillo2000

My brother's friend has been at some of the engineering meetings for the project. Apparently, they're hoping to get the project started in November this year. Fingers crossed that the archaeological work doesn't uncover anything that might delay it.

Just wondering when does the archaeological work on this project finish? Was driving through macroom yesterday and I saw them working on a piece of the proposed bypass on the killarney side of the town.

It was to finish in Q1 2018 but I imagine it'll spill into April due to the weather we've had recently

cillo2000 wrote: »
    My brother's friend has been at some of the engineering meetings for the project. Apparently, they're hoping to get the project started in November this year. Fingers crossed that the archaeological work doesn't uncover anything that might delay it.

The archaeological work shouldn't delay it as there is a natural "buffer" included after the archaeological work finishes that is the time taken to complete the tendering process.

I'd be very surprised if it started in November 2018 as it hasn't been tendered yet but I can see 2019 happening if they've managed to accelerate it. Programmed date remains Q1 2020 at this time, but this should be updated in the next few weeks

• Advertisement

Travelled through macroom today to cork and I see they've brought the speed from 2 mile bridge to 4 mile bridge down to 80 from 100 for some reason?

Travelled through macroom today to cork and I see they've brought the speed from 2 mile bridge to 4 mile bridge down to 80 from 100 for some reason?

Part of the speed limit review. This will be happening countrywide over the next few months

Part of the speed limit review. This will be happening countrywide over the next few months

Oh I was wondering I thought it might have had something to do with the bypass in the coming years

My OH was asking, were you posting, an April's Fool? May help with the turn off for Castleview- Nutricia. Rarely can do above 80 km anyway with the traffic.

Water John wrote: »
    My OH was asking, were you posting, an April's Fool? May help with the turn off for Castleview- Nutricia. Rarely can do above 80 km anyway with the traffic.

Most national roads that were never upgraded will be limited to 80km/h. Large stretches of road in Cork will be subject to this

EDIT: Posts on speed limit review moved to speed limit review thread. Continue discussion here: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057646229

Just wondering what will the speed limit be for the macroom bypass once it's opened? 120km/h?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Just wondering what will the speed limit be for the macroom bypass once it's opened? 120km/h?

100kph as this section is 2+2 I believe.

100kph as this section is 2+2 I believe.

Thanks, here's hoping we won't have long more to wait before we drive on it.

Was driving the N22 this week quite a bit after not having driven it in around a year, it'll be some transformation when this new scheme is built. Replacing 22km of an absolute drag of a road between the section through the two towns/villages and the twisty mess in between.

Hopping on the bypass at Coolcower going west and not having to slow below 100km/h again until the roundabout outside Killarney.. magnificient. Hopefully Macroom-Ovens will go into planning soon and the N22 will be beyond belief.

Was driving the N22 this week quite a bit after not having driven it in around a year, it'll be some transformation when this new scheme is built. Replacing 22km of an absolute drag of a road between the section through the two towns/villages and the twisty mess in between.

Hopping on the bypass at Coolcower going west and not having to slow below 100km/h again until the roundabout outside Killarney.. magnificient. Hopefully Macroom-Ovens will go into planning soon and the N22 will be beyond belief.

Any recent update on this project marno? Drive this road on a regular basis and tbh it's a shocking road by today's standards.

• Advertisement

Any recent update on this project marno? Drive this road on a regular basis and tbh it's a shocking road by today's standards.
    No further update - although I am expecting a rock solid confirmation of the starting date before the end of the quarter - it'll either be fully confirmed as Q1 2020 or hopefully an accelerated date will be provided. Timelines for schemes are being adjusted at present after the publication of the National Development Plan but the finalised dates have not been published yet.

This scheme will really improve access to Kerry and also inversely to Cork. I cannot wait for it to open it'll be an incredibly refreshing drive as opposed to the jokeshop of the road at present.

No further update - although I am expecting a rock solid confirmation of the starting date before the end of the quarter - it'll either be fully confirmed as Q1 2020 or hopefully an accelerated date will be provided. Timelines for schemes are being adjusted at present after the publication of the National Development Plan but the finalised dates have not been published yet.
    Slow down progress with the macroom bypass? Cork to ringasiddy for example
    This scheme will really improve access to Kerry and also inversely to Cork. I cannot wait for it to open it'll be an incredibly refreshing drive as opposed to the jokeshop of the road at present.

With there being a lot of road projects expected to get under way in cork in the next few years would that slow things up for the macroom bypass? Cork to ringaskiddy for example?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭imangry29

The upgrade of the Dunkettle Interchange is essentially now underway. Even going full steam ahead, the M28 to Ringaskiddy still needs a decision from An Bord Pleanala (due in April?) ... but you would also expect a push for a judicial review of that decision given the weight of local opposition. Post decision / appeal, the M28 still needs to go through compulsory purchase order etc. so I'd think it is too far behind to threaten the timing of the N22 work. Dunkettle and M28 aside, there is nothing remotely close to shovel ready in Cork on a national primary route, other than the N22. TII and CCC must surely be chomping at the bit now to get stuck into it! Fingers crossed it is accelerated from Q1 2020. Although other schemes nationally may get preference.

Whatever of Macroom-Ovens, it is extremely disappointing that Macroom-Lissarda was not addressed in the NDP - even for pre-appraisal. I know it is probably too short a distance to be a scheme in its own right, but coming off the decent road between Killarney-County Bounds, then on to a shiny new 22km 2+2 road as far as Coolcower .... only to return on to a narrow series of bends connected by the two tight bridges and Lissarda following ..... a very dangerous bottleneck staring transport officials in the face.

Just don't understand it didn't make it to the 4 mile bridge, west of Duniskey. Repeating myself.

imangry29 wrote: »
    The upgrade of the Dunkettle Interchange is essentially now underway. Even going full steam ahead, the M28 to Ringaskiddy still needs a decision from An Bord Pleanala (due in April?) ... but you would also expect a push for a judicial review of that decision given the weight of local opposition. Post decision / appeal, the M28 still needs to go through compulsory purchase order etc. so I'd think it is too far behind to threaten the timing of the N22 work. Dunkettle and M28 aside, there is nothing remotely close to shovel ready in Cork on a national primary route, other than the N22. TII and CCC must surely be chomping at the bit now to get stuck into it! Fingers crossed it is accelerated from Q1 2020. Although other schemes nationally may get preference.

Whatever of Macroom-Ovens, it is extremely disappointing that Macroom-Lissarda was not addressed in the NDP - even for pre-appraisal. I know it is probably too short a distance to be a scheme in its own right, but coming off the decent road between Killarney-County Bounds, then on to a shiny new 22km 2+2 road as far as Coolcower .... only to return on to a narrow series of bends connected by the two tight bridges and Lissarda following ..... a very dangerous bottleneck staring transport officials in the face.

Decison on the cork to ringaskiddy motorway is going to be announced on this coming friday. Can't understand it either why they didn't carry the bypass out beyond 4 mile bridge as you said it could cause a lot of headaches for them down line.

There are 4 major projects countrywide which have planning permission, this, the N4 scheme, the N5 scheme and the Dunkettle Interchange. Dunkettle is effectively underway with clearance works and tender award in Q2 2018. The N4 scheme is starting in late 2018 anyway. The only remaining scheme is the N5 scheme in Mayo which is due to start in 2021 but that project if accelerated won't cause the deceleration of this project.

There are no competing roads in Cork as only the M28 is near achieving planning and if approved, it'll face an appeal by the local NIMBYs.

As imangry29 has said, TII are stone mad to get this started. It's incredibly beneficial and has major safety and journey time dividends and clears another stretch of shameful national road off the network. They would go to construction in 2019 but funding isn't permitting.

I am happy the Coolcower bends and narrow stretch of road remains there because it'll cause a push to get the 24km M22 Macroom-Ovens scheme done. The sooner it is done the better, the road from Lissarda to Ovens may have shoulders and is straight but it's not fit for purpose for the volume of traffic that uses it especially given the volume increases due to the shorter net journey times caused by the opening of Macroom-Ballyvourney

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Do they even have a preferred route for ovens - coolcower?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

I think there is a corridor. It stays on the hill north of the present road, as you go east. Then drops down to the right of the present road around Farnanes/Farran.
    It also stays north of the river between the 2 and 4 mile bridge, TMK. That's why, it crossing over the river to Coolcower is strange. Some of those here, who are more acquainted , may correct me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Any links to the planned dunketelle interchange?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭annfield1978

Mott McDonald appointed for Consultant Employer Role

Advertisement