Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N22 - Macroom to Ballyvourney (Macroom Bypass) [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Roadrunner99

Water John wrote: »
    The speed van is usually on the stretch from Duniskey to Ovens, multiple locations. Only done once, at 5.15am.

A good few people have told me they've got caught going through ballyvourney village around the church the speed can is often there and it's a long stretch of road from the mills to ballymakera to stay under 50 kn/h

A good few people have told me they've got caught going through ballyvourney village around the church the speed can is often there and it's a long stretch of road from the mills to ballymakera to stay under 50 kn/h

*van

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭DerMutt

Email from Cork County Council on progress to date arrived today:

N22 Baile Bhuirne to Macroom Road Development
    Progress Update – Tuesday the 22nd of May 2018

Under the N22 Scheme 22kms of new dual carriageway will be constructed along the N22 Cork/Killarney/Tralee Road. The new dual carriageway will bypass both Macroom and Baile Bhuirne and will include:
    An online roundabout east of Macroom at Coolcower as well as five new offline roundabouts.
    • 18 local road bridges and associated local road realignments.
    • River bridges over the rivers Sullane, Laney, Foherish and Bohill, as well as a diversion of the
    • River Owengarve.
    • 24 farm underpasses/overpasses.

An investment of approximately €214m will be required to cover land costs, construction costs and all other costs arising.

A number of advance work items have been/are being progressed as follows:
    • An advance fencing and site clearance contract was completed late in 2017.
    • 3 archaeological contracts have been underway along the entire length of the new route since 2017. We expect that the on-site elements of these contracts will be completed in July/August of this year.
    • A detailed site investigation contract has been completed in order to assess the ground conditions likely to be encountered during the main construction works.
    • An advance environmental works contract is currently underway. Works here include the creation of a suitable receiving environment for the long term translocation of the Kerry Slug as well as works to ensure the protection of the Freshwater Pearl Mussel which is present in the works area. This contract will be completed by August of this year.

Given the scale of the works required and the nature of the ground conditions which will be encountered on site, a 3 year construction period is anticipated for the main works. These main works are scheduled for a 2020 start in the Capital Investment Programme. However, construction start will be brought forward to 2019 if possible. Future progress updates will include updates under this heading.

As always, if there are any queries or comments in relation to these ongoing and upcoming works please contact us on (021)4520180 or on this email address.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Tender for consultants for Phases 5-7 of this (tender, construction & handover) has been awarded to Mott McDonald.

https://irl.eu-supply.com/ctm/Supplier/PublicTenders/ViewNotice/204094

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Aontachtoir

marno21 wrote: »
    Tender for consultants for Phases 5-7 of this (tender, construction & handover) has been awarded to Mott McDonald.

And the diggers come one step closer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

And the diggers come one step closer.
    Getting very close now. I would imagine 12-15 months time we'll be seeing them roll into Macroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,130 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Just looked at Europ's video to celebrate;
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jK-NcRmVcw

Released in 1986, must be around the time the bypass was first mooted.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,473 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Could this road be given motorway regulations?

I'm guessing no. Best way to protect these roads is to spend a little extra and have them up to scratch otherwise you spend more down the line.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

I'm guessing no. Best way to protect these roads is to spend a little extra and have them up to scratch otherwise you spend more down the line.

No, it's type 2 DC which wouldn't be up to scratch. Macroom to Ballincollig, whenever it's built, will probably open as motorway as it'll be built to motorway spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Aontachtoir

The road itself is not going to be motorway standard - just a 2+2. It would be very pleasant if we could put motorway restrictions on it anyway and keep the tractors on the old N22!

In relation to Quackster's post, I wonder when work will begin on the M22 from Ballincollig to Macroom.

• Advertisement

Is it next month the invitations to tender are out?

Is it next month the invitations to tender are out?

Yes, Friday the 13th

Mott McDonald appointed for Consultant Employer Role
    Absolutely delightful

Roll on the contractor appointment

I just noticed there, I must be getting forgetful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Bummer.....

It is proposed that all of the sites discovered on the route will be archaeologically excavated, subject to ministerial direction from the Minister for Arts, Heritage, and the Gaeltacht.

It is likely that all the excavations will be completed by the end of next year.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/bronze-age-ring-fort-among-sites-discovered-on-macroom-road-route-457841.html

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Limerick74

That's completely expected and normal for a major road scheme. It won't hold up the construction as the procurement of main contractor will take some time.

The issue may be that Mid Cork along with Meath have the highest density of such sites. It is very archeologically rich.

Limerick74 wrote: »
    That's completely expected and normal for a major road scheme. It won't hold up the construction as the procurement of main contractor will take some time.
    Archeological work was supposed to be completed by Q1 2018. I'm hoping the journalist was being sloppy and that it's actually end of 'this year'.

KOR101 wrote: »
    Archeological work was supposed to be completed by Q1 2018. I'm hoping the journalist was being sloppy and that it's actually end of 'this year'.
    That was the archaeological investigation. Now we know that excavations will be required which will take some more time. I am hoping it'll still be able to start in the 2nd half of next year, even if some parts of the route will have to wait, they can work on parts of the route that aren't affected.

That was the archaeological investigation. Now we know that excavations will be required which will take some more time. I am hoping it'll still be able to start in the 2nd half of next year, even if some parts of the route will have to wait, they can work on parts of the route that aren't affected.

Any idea when the excavations will be completed?

I see there's a planned strike by the archaeologists working on the macroom bypass planned for this coming wednesday hopefully it won't cause any further delay.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Benildus

https://twitter.com/UNITEARCH/status/1014409616371875841

<snip>

Mod: no abusive terms please.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

I see there's a planned strike by the archaeologists working on the macroom bypass planned for this coming wednesday hopefully it won't cause any further delay.

If the archaeologists want to strike then lets skip the archaeology part of scheme and move one. Bring in the diggers!

neddynasty wrote: »
    If the archaeologists want to strike then lets skip the archaeology part of scheme and move one. Bring in the diggers!

The sooner the better.

Yeah see the strike, about 30 of them outside the Castle gates in Macroom Sq.
    Sorry can't upload pic. What's their beef? Low wages, not enough sun lotion or water? Strange venue to picket.

Sorry can't upload pic. What's their beef? Low wages, not enough sun lotion or water? Strange venue to picket.

Low wages. First it was the kerry slug and now this there seems to be always something to slow down progress.

Low wages. First it was the kerry slug and now this there seems to be always something to slow down progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Sixela

That examiner article is from Aug 2017 so the end of next year means end of 2018.

Sixela wrote: »
    That examiner article is from Aug 2017 so the end of next year means end of 2018.
    Sorry!!!!......picked it up on Today's News from the Examiner site.:confused:

KOR101 wrote: »
    Sorry!!!!......picked it up on Today's News from the Examiner site.:confused:
    Was that one of the related articles on the bottom of the page? Been caught out by one of them myself before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

Quackster wrote: »
    No, it's type 2 DC which wouldn't be up to scratch. Macroom to Ballincollig, whenever it's built, will probably open as motorway as it'll be built to motorway spec.

The section after Ballincollig, now N40, is MW-spec, but isn't classified and restricted as such (to the periodic ranting of some).

Advertisement