Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N22 - Macroom to Ballyvourney (Macroom Bypass) [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Roadrunner99

Water John wrote: »
    They'd be hoping to, but it doesn't work that way. AFAIK they did not subcontract the fencing. They then would have garnered a good bit of detailed knowledge. Might give them the edge.
    I think they are doing the Bandon flood relief works too.

Yeah they were working on the bandon river aswell. Would the ballyvourney/macroom bypass be one of the more difficult projects to undertake compared to other roads under construction across the country due to its rough terrain especially from the mons back to ballyvourney?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Yeah they were working on the bandon river aswell. Would the ballyvourney/macroom bypass be one of the more difficult projects to undertake compared to other roads under construction across the country due to its rough terrain especially from the mons back to ballyvourney?
    Yes, this is specifically mentioned in the tender regarding challenging terrain.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

After getting the fencing contract for the route will wills bros be the favourites to get the contract for construction of the bypass?

I would think it a bit big for them. They might tender as part of a consortium though.

Quackster wrote: »
    I would think it a bit big for them. They might tender as part of a consortium though.

Has to be a major advantage for them in the tender process having already worked on the route. Hopefully now it'll be sooner rather than later that we'll see this project under construction.

Can we expect anything from the national development plan to be published in the next few weeks on this project?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,130 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Hopefully, it's on the first, to do list, with a targeted completion date.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Can we expect anything from the national development plan to be published in the next few weeks on this project?

It's already funded under the 2016-2022 Capital Plan with a currently programmed start date of Q1 2020 and a opening date of 2022.

The Capital Plan being published shortly will include other schemes, including the M20 and hopefully the North Ring and N25 upgrades

What you could look out for, is to see is the 2nd section to Ovens mentioned anywhere. I doubt it.

What you could look out for, is to see is the 2nd section to Ovens mentioned anywhere. I doubt it.

I would be 99.5% sure it won't be on it. The list of projects that are targeted for inclusion were all given funding for 2018, no funding for the N22 dualling scheme

Thanks Marno. Another porkie someone told me. I called it, as that, at the time.
    Then, the clown, has form.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Was only talking to someone about the Macroom BP recently, the campaign for it began 20/25 years ago they were saying.

It is just outside Lissarda it is starting, beyond the Topaz garage where a bridge goes over the river?

As for the NRR and M20, these 2 really need to go hand in hand.

The work on the Dunkettle interchange recently looks very interesting.

Was only talking to someone about the Macroom BP recently, the campaign for it began 20/25 years ago they were saying.

It is just outside Lissarda it is starting, beyond the Topaz garage where a bridge goes over the river?

As for the NRR and M20, these 2 really need to go hand in hand.

The work on the Dunkettle interchange recently looks very interesting.

Yes, it's been in the works for some time. But 20 years ago it would've been a simple single carriageway bypass, not the 22km of dual carriageway we are getting. Was it worth the wait for something so future proofed?

It starts at Coolcower just before the first bridge going from Macroom to Cork

marno21 wrote: »
    Yes, it's been in the works for some time. But 20 years ago it would've been a simple single carriageway bypass, not the 22km of dual carriageway we are getting. Was it worth the wait for something so future proofed?

It starts at Coolcower just before the first bridge going from Macroom to Cork

20 years was definitely worth the wait in that case.

The bridge next to that place where the old scrap yard was?

I know the general area well, but it's the names of places around there i don't.

Once the archaeological work has been completed in the next few months is it just a waiting process then before we see diggers on the ground or will there have to be other works undertaken?

20 years was definitely worth the wait in that case.

The bridge next to that place where the old scrap yard was?

I know the general area well, but it's the names of places around there i don't.

Exactly there. There will be a roundabout there between the Topaz garage and the bridge.

Once the archaeological work has been completed in the next few months is it just a waiting process then before we see diggers on the ground or will there have to be other works undertaken?

The project hasn't been fully tendered yet, we'll know a more detailed timescale when its tendered.

All advance works are complete bar archaeological work which is due for completion in Q1 2018.

Could any findings from the archaeological digs slow up progress?

Could any findings from the archaeological digs slow up progress?

I know it isn't directly connected to this, but isn't there a village under the water near there that flooded some 100 years ago?

It looks like some sort of bridge in the river.

Latest update on the project (24/01/2018) straight from the horses mouth:
    The Deputy asked about the Macroom bypass and the date for construction. The date we had set for the commencement of construction was quarter 1 of 2020. The review of the capital plan announced on 16 January allows some flexibility, which we hope to exploit. Whereas there was no provision for funding for acceleration of the schemes, there is a prospect for future year funding which may allow us some more flexibility. If we can achieve it, Cork County Council will go out to tender as soon as possible for the project. We have an ambition to get the tender out as soon as possible and we will progress it as soon as we can. The date we have given is quarter 1 of 2020.

Latest update on the project (24/01/2018) straight from the horses mouth:

Thanks marno hopefully now they'll stick to that date or even better knock a few months off it and bring it forward here's hoping.

• Advertisement

Thanks marno hopefully now they'll stick to that date or even better knock a few months off it and bring it forward here's hoping.
    I totally agree. Will massively improve the Killarney - Cork trip.

Truck Driver. The Lee valley was flooded in the 1950s. This was for the Hydroelecric scheme at Carrigadrohid and Inniscarra. The bridge span you see is either the old road or the railway. The road between the 2 mile and 4 mile bridge is new, as in 1950s, I think. The two bridges are the property of the ESB.
    This also flooded the Gearagh, the alluvial forest. Wouldn't happen today.

The road from Macroom is detailed as, Hartnetts X, Coolcower, 2 mile bridge, 4 mile bridge, Duniskey, Lissarda.

I totally agree. Will massively improve the Killarney - Cork trip.

looking at othe major projects currently under construction across the country especially in wexord by this time next year they should nearly be completed so I hold out hope that there will be a shift to the south of the country.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,959 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Truck Driver. The Lee valley was flooded in the 1950s. This was for the Hydroelecric scheme at Carrigadrohid and Inniscarra. The bridge span you see is either the old road or the railway. The road between the 2 mile and 4 mile bridge is new, as in 1950s, I think. The two bridges are the property of the ESB.
    This also flooded the Gearagh, the alluvial forest. Wouldn't happen today.

The road from Macroom is detailed as, Hartnetts X, Coolcower, 2 mile bridge, 4 mile bridge, Duniskey, Lissarda.

From looking at http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V2,535494,570685,7,7 old 6-inch map there was a bridge over the railway line and another bridge to carry the railway over the old river course. Both now submerged.

Railway stations were at Stage X, western turn off for Crookstown and Duniskey. Family used the get the train to Macroom.

Saw on the rte news last night the piece they had on killarney about the local bottlenecks surrounding it and how it's affecting tourism.... this might be a big help in getting the macroom bypass off the ground before 2020. Every bit of publicity helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

• Registered Users Posts: 18 nicmcs

Hello all,

Hoping you can help me, this is probably a well know secret haha.

I'm looking for a copy of the route for the N22 road from Coolcower out to Ovens.

I have found various online documents showing the route within the Macroom town Limits but I'm looking for the section from Coolcower out to ovens.

Can anyone link me to a site or whatever so i can view.
    The cork Road design website is as useful as a chocolate teapot with their tiny photo's.

Thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Mellifera

ok, I now have the maps off the old site, not great quality, but at least you can see the planned path for the entire length 
    https://web.archive.org/web/20071118193519/http://www.corkrdo.ie/n22_ovens_to_ballyvourney_photos.php
    Hi, Munchkin_utd posted this a few weeks ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 nicmcs

Thanks very much for you help.

Advertisement