Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N22 - Macroom to Ballyvourney (Macroom Bypass) [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

alaimacerc wrote: »
    The section after Ballincollig, now N40, is MW-spec, but isn't classified and restricted as such (to the periodic ranting of some).

Plans afoot to redesignate the N40 as motorway. Would make sense to also redesignate N22 from Ovens to M40.

Macroom-Ballincollig will likely also be M22 but we don't have the ambition for that at present, even though we did in 1998

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

marno21 wrote: »
    Plans afoot to redesignate the N40 as motorway. Would make sense to also redesignate N22 from Ovens to M40.
    I see that thread now. Very modest budget allocation. That because on the other hand, there's very little to do, or on the other, that there's absolutely no urgency to actually do the reclassification? Might make more sense when (and if) the "ring road" is an actual ring...
    Macroom-Ballincollig will likely also be M22 but we don't have the ambition for that at present, even though we did in 1998

At first I couldn't even find it on the TII website, thought it must have rotten in the migration from NRA. But there's a scant page, noting that it's "suspended", no route or build info at all. So I'm not at all sure what's likely here!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I see that thread now. Very modest budget allocation. That because on the other hand, there's very little to do, or on the other, that there's absolutely no urgency to actually do the reclassification? Might make more sense when (and if) the "ring road" is an actual ring...

Very modest allocation for 2018 because no work will likely be done on the ground in 2018, mostly work in an office. I'd expect the bulk of the work to be done in 2019, it's part of a demand management system for the M40 which will include signed diversionary routes in the event of sudden closures & VMS with journey times/diversion alerts. It'll make sense to be done in conjunction with Dunkettle upgrade and soon M28.

Actual ring? We'll be waiting a while for that. We might even win a football All Ireland by the time it's built :)

At first I couldn't even find it on the TII website, thought it must have rotten in the migration from NRA. But there's a scant page, noting that it's "suspended", no route or build info at all. So I'm not at all sure what's likely here!

It was prioritised in the National Road Needs Study 1998 for delivery between 2003 and 2008. A route was selected in 2002 but nothing has moved on it since, and given so much has changed in terms of regulatory policy and planning framework that route will have to be dumped and start from scratch.

As of now, the Government have indicated that no work will be done on it between now and 2027. So the earliest time it will have work done will be 29 years after it was prioritised for delivery within 10 years. Back then the N9 Kilkenny-Waterford was planned as single carriageway upgrades.. How things have changed

I'd expect the bulk of the work to be done in 2019, it's part of a demand management system for the M40 which will include signed diversionary routes in the event of sudden closures & VMS with journey times/diversion alerts. It'll make sense to be done in conjunction with Dunkettle upgrade and soon M28.
    Less than clear whether you're betting on 2020, 2021, or 2023, then!
    It was prioritised in the National Road Needs Study 1998 for delivery between 2003 and 2008. A route was selected in 2002 but nothing has moved on it since, and given so much has changed in terms of regulatory policy and planning framework that route will have to be dumped and start from scratch.

Yeah. And practically a whole new generation of nimby's to be dealing with...

Less than clear whether you're betting on 2020, 2021, or 2023, then!

Yeah. And practically a whole new generation of nimby's to be dealing with...
    I would imagine the Macroom-Ovens section would be reasonably NIMBY proof given that the more contentious Macroom-Ballyvourney bypass got through planning.

By the time the Macroom-Ovens section goes to planning Peter Sweetnam might have given up on the objections.

• Advertisement

Varadkar this week in the Dail:
    Our biggest commitment to Macroom is making progress on the Macroom-Ballyvourney bypass which will go to construction next year or, at the very latest, the first part of 2020.

I trust what he says instead of the ignorant disinterested Minister for Transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Roadrunner99

Is it today that the invitations to tender are sent out?

Is it today that the invitations to tender are sent out?

It is indeed

It is indeed

Thanks. Coming a bit closer now anyway.

Varadkar this week in the Dail:

I trust what he says instead of the ignorant disinterested Minister for Transport.

ITYM the ignorant uninterested MoT.

• Advertisement

Aindrias Moynihan asked Shane Ross this week when the project will go to tender

https://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2018-07-11a.1271

Anyone want to drop into his office and catch him up? :)

Nice drone shot of where the new road will cross the old N22 east of Ballyvourney + an update on the tender process

https://twitter.com/CISireland/status/1019510836803457024

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Aontachtoir

Nice drone shot of where the new road will cross the old N22 east of Ballyvourney + an update on the tender process

Neat. Very excited for this road. I regularly travel from Cork to Killarney, and this will make my journey so much more pleasant.

Good to see its progressing away nicely... Would you expect a contractor to be appointed by late spring early summer next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Apogee

RTE News report on N22 and Kerry slug. Mentions that work is expected to start "towards the end of next year"

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1026905847631364096

• Registered Users Posts: 21,130 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Great lobbying be the Healy Raes, to protect such an endangered species!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭cillo2000

Water John wrote: »

Eh? https://www.newstalk.com/We-must-put-the-people-before-the-slug

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭annfield1978

4 Contractors pre qualified for the design & build tender competition

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

Do you know who?

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭annfield1978

Only one of them, five could have prequalified

• Advertisement

Good stuff. Any word as to when the award is scheduled? I know we're a bit out yt

• Registered Users Posts: 6,707 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

The only endangered species the Healy Reas are lobbying to protect is drink drivers!

Only one of them, five could have prequalified

How long would you say before we know which contractor gets awarded the tender for this project?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    The only endangered species the Healy Reas are lobbying to protect is drink drivers!

Now now, you can't be saying those kind of things around here unless you hold a drink/driving permit :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭mickmmc

Maura Healy Rae will benefit from the new road - she teaches in the etb in Bandon, Co. Cork and drives from Kilgarvan.

mickmmc wrote:
    Maura Healy Rae will benefit from the new road - she teaches in the etb in Bandon, Co. Cork and drives from Kilgarvan.

As will thousands of other people. I dont get this Healy Rae bashing at all, and I'm not even from Kerry.

MOD:

Can we move on from the Healy Raes please and back to the topic at hand

• Registered Users Posts: 21,130 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Sorry, brought them up as a joke, originally.

Sorry, brought them up as a joke, originally.
    No need to apologise, sometimes things can run beyond their original course :)

• Advertisement

Some fencing carried out recently on the approach to Ballyvourney from the Macroom side. You can make out the outline of where a roundabout will be.

Is this type of fencing taking over from the traditional 4 bar timber/chainlink fence? The entire Macroom bypass has been done with this, and I also notice Colas Roadbridge are replacing sections of timber fencing along the M18 with it too, with the addition of a strip of pvc along the top.

Edit: Can't add a photo from Mobile for some reason?

Advertisement