Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

Rang loyalty team and got 6 months half price on BB. Happy enough

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Got a new deal last month, and was told it would be effective immediately, and my January bill would be pro rata. I was about 2 days into my January billing period, so I was expecting to be charged €56 for 2 days (pro rata) - about €3.50 and then the rest of the 29 days charged at €28 per month (pro rata).

Nope, €56 taken from my account. :mad::mad:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Got a new deal last month, and was told it would be effective immediately, and my January bill would be pro rata. I was about 2 days into my January billing period, so I was expecting to be charged €56 for 2 days (pro rata) - about €3.50 and then the rest of the 29 days charged at €28 per month (pro rata).

Nope, €56 taken from my account. :mad::mad:

Got an e-mail this morning- my bill is EUR7 higher than I agreed (and whats on my contract with them).
    This is nuts.

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Got an e-mail this morning- my bill is EUR7 higher than I agreed (and whats on my contract with them).
    This is nuts.

Rang them there. Change will take affect in my next bill. Not exactly what I was told when signing up, but it makes sense.

Not sure about your 7 euro though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

just rang there, and initially got offered €40 for 3 months, said it was too much and that I had eire offering 6 months half price so the kind lady matched it ...€28 for broadband and phone...happy enough with that now

• Advertisement

Rang them there. Change will take affect in my next bill. Not exactly what I was told when signing up, but it makes sense.

Not sure about your 7 euro though.

They're pulling the phone conversation to check what I was offered- and are to ring me back. The agent I was talking to- is no longer an employee....... (allegedly).........

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Called because my 6 months was up in November and gone back to normal price. They told me they sent a letter and email back in november about the price hike which i never got either. Told me i have to wait until May for an offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Fistycuffs

How is it best to play this when you ring?
    Will the immediately say "ok lets cancel this for you?" or try to convince you with a better deal?
    What number do you call?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

I got through to the loyalty team on chat and despite arguing back and forth the best they could offer me was €40/month for 6 months then back to €55/month. Even though the offer for new customers is even better. To save the hassle of cancelling and signing up again I just took it, better than nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 hysenberg

I am a VM broadband customer and recently moved homes. I couldn't get it working in my new apartment so had to get a VM tech out. He replaced the outlet box on the wall(it was cable link) but said our connection was simply turned off and that was why we couldn't connect.
    All was good until I tried reconnecting our Saorview channels (Rte, TV3 and tg4) but could not. The tech had set up a wire to the TV but I hadn't thought of checking at the time. I presumed he had forgot to do this but when I contacted VM they said that since they replaced the outlet box we no longer have access to Saorview channels and it's not their problem since do not pay them for tv.
    Is there anything I can do to get these channels back? I am disgusted at this carry on from cm, switching the box for no reason and trying to sell me tv

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

If you have bb with virgin then just split the cable out of the outlet. That should give you the 17 odd analogue channels

• Registered Users Posts: 10,617 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

All was good until I tried reconnecting our Saorview channels (Rte, TV3 and tg4) but could not. The tech had set up a wire to the TV but I hadn't thought of checking at the time. I presumed he had forgot to do this but when I contacted VM they said that since they replaced the outlet box we no longer have access to Saorview channels and it's not their problem since do not pay them for tv.

Same thing(ish) happened to me.
    Only difference was the guy CUT the wires outside the house at the junction box completely in half and that was deliberate because I complained about my signal.
    Tried do them up again but couldn't as there wasn't enough wire left to stick connectors on the ends.
    As said if you have the broadband with them, you can just stick a splitter on the end.

brightkane wrote: »
    If you have bb with virgin then just split the cable out of the outlet. That should give you the 17 odd analogue channels
    Thanks for your help on this. The tech had a splitter plugged in and wires to the TV and internet but it hasn't worked. Does this seem possible?

hysenberg wrote: »
    Thanks for your help on this. The tech had a splitter plugged in and wires to the TV and internet but it hasn't worked. Does this seem possible?

Virgin have been progressively turning off the analogue signal nationally- it is no longer ubiquitous. Its entirely possible that you may not have an analogue feed on your line.

Virgin have been progressively turning off the analogue signal nationally- it is no longer ubiquitous. Its entirely possible that you may not have an analogue feed on your line.

Thanks, and this is okay? I didn't really understand how a guy came in to my house to set up internet and when he leaves I have no tv signal.

Would an indoor ariel work to provide these channels? The portable ones from Tesco?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Thanks, and this is okay? I didn't really understand how a guy came in to my house to set up internet and when he leaves I have no tv signal.

Would an indoor ariel work to provide these channels? The portable ones from Tesco?

Try a retune on the tv, make sure to set it to cable not terrestrial.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

Also if there are 2 out puts on the virgin wall box use the one on the right. Run the cable directly into a splitter and send one to the TV and one to the router. And as already suggested scan for analogue.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,411 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Are they notifying existing customers of this change?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

Are they notifying existing customers of this change?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Noticed my bill went up 5 quid to €57 (bb+phone). Called, transferred, and settled for second offer of €15 off for 6 months. Really just €7.50 a month for a year's contract or €2.50 off when you subtract the new 5 quid charge they just made up. I guess I should have cancelled and seen what they came up with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Is the loyalty number readily available?

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭stuff.hunter

Is the loyalty number readily available?

1908 option 2

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I asked for a deal today (am on 240mb never got a deal before btw) and this is all they would give so I have given cancellation notice, basically 10 euro off for 6 months:
    New 12 months contract from today, €47.50 per month for first 6 months and €57.50 per month for last 6 months, keeping exiting broadband bundle.

Can get much better deal with one of the other providers right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

I asked for a deal today (am on 240mb never got a deal before btw) and this is all they would give so I have given cancellation notice, basically 10 euro off for 6 months:

Can get much better deal with one of the other providers right now.

I'm in a similar situation but not sure what other provider to move to. Have you anyone in mind? Minimal hassle is my biggest requirement :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

xckjoo wrote: »
    I'm in a similar situation but not sure what other provider to move to. Have you anyone in mind? Minimal hassle is my biggest requirement :D

Probably Eir, they work out about €250-260 cheaper per year (35 for 6 months then 40 for 6 months). Alternatives are sky or vodafone but not really looked into them, both are cheaper than virgin also.

I've been with VM since they were UPC and they showed no leeway so they can get lost.

In the loyalty chat all he did was paste my net usage and say well you don't want to move, look at all this internet you use. Every bill was well within every other operators fair use policy so that just made me want to move more, plus it's a ****ty tactic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Probably Eir, they work out about €250-260 cheaper per year (35 for 6 months then 40 for 6 months). Alternatives are sky or vodafone but not really looked into them, both are cheaper than virgin also.

I've been with VM since they were UPC and they showed no leeway so they can get lost.

In the loyalty chat all he did was paste my net usage and say well you don't want to move, look at all this internet you use. Every bill was well within every other operators fair use policy so that just made me want to move more, plus it's a ****ty tactic.

Ya I think Sky and Vodafone are the cheapest, but I'd be tempted to go with Eir in the hopes that they'd do a free upgrade to fibre-to-home sometime soon. That's not based on anything but blind optimism though :D.

There's a good few complaints about Eirs customer service on this forum, but hopefully that's just because people aren't posting when everything is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭derra

I hate this time of year dealing with them, even looking at other options available confuses me.

So i have the 240 broadband, home phone with mobile calls too, Sky sports and the other TV channels and a multi room for one room.

I rang recently and was offered something like €10 off the bundle each month. Last two years i got 6 months half price, but he wasn't budging. So i want to try again but i was wondering if i opted out and just cancelled, could i get someone else in the house to sign up as a new customer? And if so, would i have to wait a certain time to be able to do that without disruption for a prolonged period?

Just wondering if someone has experience of doing that or any advice ringing them regards that.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,271 ✭✭✭✭ted1

They offered me the same, said I’ve had to many half price deals.

Moved to sky, half price for 9 months.

The difference in the Q box compared to the horizon is crazy. So much faster to navigate and search guide etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭fdevine

derra wrote: »
    I hate this time of year dealing with them, even looking at other options available confuses me.

So i have the 240 broadband, home phone with mobile calls too, Sky sports and the other TV channels and a multi room for one room.

I rang recently and was offered something like €10 off the bundle each month. Last two years i got 6 months half price, but he wasn't budging. So i want to try again but i was wondering if i opted out and just cancelled, could i get someone else in the house to sign up as a new customer? And if so, would i have to wait a certain time to be able to do that without disruption for a prolonged period?

Just wondering if someone has experience of doing that or any advice ringing them regards that.

From order to delivery of new VM hardware takes less than a week. I couldn't get a decent deal out of them last August so cancelled. Three weeks into the 30 day notice my missus signed up as a new VM customer. Few days overlap but no loss of service. Only retained VM for TV as we got 12 months at €35 off so full package was cheaper than standalone BB.

I signed up to Sky on half price for 6 months and €100 prepaid Mastercard.

Moving to Sky with Q was the best decision I've made in years. As soon as I can get a decent BB alternative I'll be dumping VM altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭freebee23

Hi all,

Posted here previously after getting a 9 months half price offer of €23.24 for 9 months and €49.99 thereafter.
    However when I checked my bills for the last 2 months noticed that they were charging me €27.50 per month which is higher than the agreed price. Gave them a call and they are crediting my account for 12 months at the difference the two amounts.
    I would recommend that each person check the email you received detailing your offer prices and make sure that your bills reflect this.

Cheers,
    freebee23

Advertisement