Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭enviro

Shane, in my experience the best offers for existing customers come via the cancellation dept. I recently had offers of half price for 3 months and a final offer of 6 months half price. I pushed for the 9 months half price as I had obtained that offer for the previous two years. It wasn't on the table this year, I opted to leave.

Better price with Sky but an inferior speed.
    All depends on yourself regarding price/speed.

Some tips, mention switching to Sky, seems to bring forward their best offer to retain you. Ignore the talk of better service and how Sky share their lines with Eir. While this is true it is just a negotiation tactic they use. Let them know that price is your main reason for switching providers. That should get the best offer on the table and you can decide yourself after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I'm moving house and wondering if I should just cancel with them and sign up as a new customer at the new address.
    Or would I be better off trying to just get a new deal now as an existing customer, and doing an account move later?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

bromley52 wrote: »
    Sky are going to start a full streaming service (outside of NowTV) in the near future so wires from a satellite dish will optionally be a thing of the past. The Sky Q boxes are ready for this to be activated.

What's the advantage of this though for someone like me with a dish and Sky Q. Perfect picture quality at all times. No buffering. No using bandwidth being used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

What's the advantage of this though for someone like me with a dish and Sky Q. Perfect picture quality at all times. No buffering. No using bandwidth being used.

If the sky/siro partnership ever makes it into reality it would be ideal for a streaming service.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,411 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Wireless connection would be the big advantage for me, with no need for a dish at all, if I understand it correctly. It would also mean that you could use it with any monitor or tablet - no need for a tuner to be attached.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

I rang to cancel as I will have reached the end of my contract in a few weeks, I am currently paying 53.50 for broadband, TV and 'landline' and the out of contract price will be 85 euro, I asked for a better price but for a 30 day rolling contract rather than a 12 month contract and the best they would offer me is 79 euro pm, only 6 euro less than the standard out of contract price I was set to pay anyway. Anyway, they held firm and wouldn't offer anything better than 79 euro, so the subscription is now set to end once the contract is up in a few weeks. I really thought they would offer something better - anyone in a similar situation as mine succeed in getting a better price from them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I don't think they are giving good deals anymore. I think when I get a chance I'll drop back to internet only.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

mystic86 wrote: »
    I rang to cancel as I will have reached the end of my contract in a few weeks, I am currently paying 53.50 for broadband, TV and 'landline' and the out of contract price will be 85 euro, I asked for a better price but for a 30 day rolling contract rather than a 12 month contract and the best they would offer me is 79 euro pm, only 6 euro less than the standard out of contract price I was set to pay anyway. Anyway, they held firm and wouldn't offer anything better than 79 euro, so the subscription is now set to end once the contract is up in a few weeks. I really thought they would offer something better - anyone in a similar situation as mine succeed in getting a better price from them?

yeah they seem tight just sign onto another family members/friends name dont think it breaks any t&c's and get 6 mo half price or whatever deal is going atm. might be out for few days with service but seems logical option if nothing else. Ive actually said that on the phone last year since was looking at site and said i can get setup on diff name and get half price for the time being lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Isco

Do you really notice the speed difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭jim salter

Isco wrote: »
    Do you really notice the speed difference?

Nope

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

I'm still clinging to an old broadband and home phone plan that's been slowly increasing year by year.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=104817487

I'm now at 42.50 per month. The only good thing recently was that I completed home renovations and had to get reconnected to virgin so they upgraded me to 240mb speed no contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭the_pod

Virgin have lost the UKTV channels but they tell me this is not grounds to cancel the contract - apparently they are allowing cancellations in the UK. Does anyone know if there's an angle to go back to them on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Have you had a look at their T&C's. Do they mention that channel options can vary etc...

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

They're being very quiet on their talk to forum:
    https://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057893412

• Registered Users Posts: 10,617 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Martin Lewis was on UK TV this morning and said his legal team were going through their T&C's with the UK regulator but it looked like it currently wasn't grounds to cancel without penalty charge.

However customers in the UK have had both reductions in their bills and some have canceled without penalty.
    According to Virgin, not a lot of customers watched the stations (Dave & UK Gold) but according to the stations, Virgin offered them way less for the service.
    Virgin have replaced with some CBS stations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Seámus-Púbach

If theres any grounds for cancelling penalty free over this I'll be cancelling in a heartbeat. Slow service, horrible interface and not user friendly. The super fast internet is unnoticeable and in no way worth €80+ per month for the same few channels that I watch on the package

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭BamesJond

Currently on the €69 pm deal which includes TV phone and internet. Not out of contract for a few months yet but this increases heavily after 12 months.
    Can anyone indicate what I'd be paying for internet only? Is it best to ring and tell them I'm pulling everything in the hope I can convince them to drop the price of internet only or should I tell them straight off the bat I want only internet.
    Any info appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

okidoki987 wrote: »
    Martin Lewis was on UK TV this morning and said his legal team were going through their T&C's with the UK regulator but it looked like it currently wasn't grounds to cancel without penalty charge.

However customers in the UK have had both reductions in their bills and some have canceled without penalty.
    According to Virgin, not a lot of customers watched the stations (Dave & UK Gold) but according to the stations, Virgin offered them way less for the service.
    Virgin have replaced with some CBS stations.

Ah I'm not sure. Regardless of viewership figures I'd rather have Dave than not have it. I think the fact that figures weren't that big is a moot point in fact.

They have removed a channel with decent content thus providing a poorer service and they want people to pay the same. Go figure.

BamesJond wrote: »
    Currently on the €69 pm deal which includes TV phone and internet. Not out of contract for a few months yet but this increases heavily after 12 months.
    Can anyone indicate what I'd be paying for internet only? Is it best to ring and tell them I'm pulling everything in the hope I can convince them to drop the price of internet only or should I tell them straight off the bat I want only internet.
    Any info appreciated.

I'm currently paying 39 per month for 240mb bb. Afther the first 6 months it goes up to 50. I wouldn't justify paying for the tv service they offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CFC007

Half price bundles back again starting at €49 with 12 month contract. New customers I’d imagine.

• Advertisement

CFC007 wrote: »
    Half price bundles back again starting at €49 with 12 month contract. New customers I’d imagine.

Typical. Stung for being a loyal customer.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Grand- so plug a 4G stick into the wifi router and tell the wife she is only allowed to browse the web, no mad downloading- for a few days- and then off we go again............

As an aside- got a note in the door- advising they are shutting down most of the analogue channels- reducing it to 9 (RTE 1, RTE 2, TG4, 3 * Virgin Media channels, Sky news, Cartoon network and BBC1)........... Just a little note for anyone who is on a BB only package- don't rely on the analogue signal anymore- its being reduced on the 9th September.

Also- what the hell is the story with Freesat- I turned it on for the first time this morning since January- there are 22 fewer channels listed than there were in January- no idea whats missing- probably 800/900 ID channels?

1/2 price on a 12 month contract for the entire 12 month contract- sounds reasonable enough to me (if I can access it)............

Mix 240 bundle is 49 for new customer.

90 for existing customers.

Grand- so plug a 4G stick into the wifi router and tell the wife she is only allowed to browse the web, no mad downloading- for a few days- and then off we go again............

As an aside- got a note in the door- advising they are shutting down most of the analogue channels- reducing it to 9 (RTE 1, RTE 2, TG4, 3 * Virgin Media channels, Sky news, Cartoon network and BBC1)........... Just a little note for anyone who is on a BB only package- don't rely on the analogue signal anymore- its being reduced on the 9th September.

Also- what the hell is the story with Freesat- I turned it on for the first time this morning since January- there are 22 fewer channels listed than there were in January- no idea whats missing- probably 800/900 ID channels?

1/2 price on a 12 month contract for the entire 12 month contract- sounds reasonable enough to me (if I can access it)............

I think you have to be out of contract or away from them for 3 months to be considered a new customer.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I think you have to be out of contract or away from them for 3 months to be considered a new customer.

I have a 15Gb data allowance from Vodafone on contract- I can feed it through our wifi as a stop gap measure- I'd rather not wait 3 months- but will do- if I have to- I'm not paying 90 quid for a fairly basic service- and I do have Freesat anyway............ Discriminating against loyal customers is shooting themselves in the foot- a lot of us do have alternate options.............

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

anyones up for renewal ? any deals going on, ive got month or two left and see ICL vans in my estate, previously SIRO were rolling fiber cables all over place, dunno if they will be up in time, but rather will consider going on prepaid every month and wait until fiber arrives, as paying 66e for the internet alone and no complaints but price wise ive seen increase of almost 20e in last 5 years and with their attitude towards loyalty will make a switch, to at least get bang for cash i pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

I signed up as a new customer on Wednesday with the offer of a 'free TV', checked again on Thursday and the bundle is €20 cheaper (Full house 240). So my free TV is going to cost me €240 over the year!, still not too bad I suppose for a 32" Toshiba Smart TV

• Registered Users Posts: 4,795 ✭✭✭b.gud

What's the story with being a new customer? Can I cancel my current deal, I'm out of contract, and just sign up immediately in the wifes name to get the new customer deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭r0chf0rt

My contract was due for renewal next month. I rang to cancel and was offered half price for 6 months. Averages around €43 a month for broadband and phone for the year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Has anyone used any other BB to break your VM contract and come back as a new customer and how did that work out.

Advertisement