Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

Anybody getting decent offers from VM for the new year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭ConcertKing

brightkane wrote: »
    my cancellation date is in 2 weeks, loyalty today offered me 15 off a month for 6 months, i said no thanks, she said no problem, have a nice day!

Got told the same and told no one is getting 6 months half price one year after another when they clearly are!Extremely annoying it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭robo

Got told the same and told no one is getting 6 months half price one year after another when they clearly are!Extremely annoying it is!

I wasn't told that I couldn't have it - but when they only offered me the package for €77, I said that a friend had got 6 months half price and they put me on hold and then came back with half price for 6 months - I did get it in March when I renewed my contract when I moved house - same account.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭magicray

I have just cancelled too, €15 off a month is a crap offer and we haven't got a lot of discounts in the past
    I'm going to go with Eir I think, its worth a try to save that much money

• Registered Users Posts: 29 abusimbel

Yes, they didn't offer me any good deal, just 6 months half price, they refused to make it 9 so I cancelled my contract.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭sillysocks

I’ve had a deal every year for the last two or three years. It was always 9 months half price but could only get 6 this time.
    One year when they weren’t playing ball I said ok go ahead and cancel. Hadn’t heard anything more for two weeks so rang back and said I still wanted to cancel but that my husband was keen to stay and if they could do the offer then I would agree but otherwise we were going. Got the deal then.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,617 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Wonder what the % of people who threaten to cancel, actually go ahead and do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

Offered me 6 today, cancelled

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Payton

okidoki987 wrote: »
    Wonder what the % of people who threaten to cancel, actually go ahead and do it?
    Ive cancelled my contract. Enough of being rode for the endless crap channels of repeats. Even the BB is extortionate so im looking at a different provider for that but for TV its FTA for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

It's a bit tiring, having to negotiate. Has anyone investigated the NowTV thing yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Ranelite

I cancelled a month ago and was meant to be cut off today but have heard nothing from them yet. Went with Sky as already have TV with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Sidd

Ranelite wrote: »
    I cancelled a month ago and was meant to be cut off today but have heard nothing from them yet. Went with Sky as already have TV with them.

What's the Broadband like with them?

Have also cancelled after a pretty crap offer.

Vodafone deal also looks very competitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

Dubl07 wrote: »
    It's a bit tiring, having to negotiate. Has anyone investigated the NowTV thing yet?

Had NowTV UK for a couple of years when I had ****ty rural broadband and it cost £3.99 per month, was good for slow connections. Now that they are in ireland they have lashed on a paddy tax of about 80% extra on the monthly fee. No way is it worth €15 per month. But if you have a uk account and buy the passes on ebay it can be still good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Thestones

I got offered 9 months half price but by god it's hard to get it, I rang last week they offered 6 months after some negotiation and said it was absolute best they could offer, I said it wasn't good enough and was adamant to cancel, they knew I was serious so under duress offered the 9 months, we have been with them years though, did have sky for a few years inbetween but I think they are more inclined to offer a better deal if you have had an account a long time.

I just got below half price for 6 months. Wasn't easy as all they were offering was a €15 discount for 6 months but I persisted til I got the so called "flash" deal.

Thestones wrote: »
    I got offered 9 months half price but by god it's hard to get it, I rang last week they offered 6 months after some negotiation and said it was absolute best they could offer, I said it wasn't good enough and was adamant to cancel, they knew I was serious so under duress offered the 9 months, we have been with them years though, did have sky for a few years inbetween but I think they are more inclined to offer a better deal if you have had an account a long time.

Not one bit true what you said.

My family are with Cork Multi Channel/Chorus/UPC/Virgin Media about 35 years and they just seem to make up lies or treat people randomly which is a joke.

Rang 4 times in the last 2 weeks to be told I was lying when I mentioned I knew people getting 6 or 9 months half price even when I said I saw it with my own eyes!

Highly annoying when I see people being offered far better offers than me even though I wouldn't begrudge anyone those offers obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Thestones

Not one bit true what you said.

My family are with Cork Multi Channel/Chorus/UPC/Virgin Media about 35 years and they just seem to make up lies or treat people randomly which is a joke.

Rang 4 times in the last 2 weeks to be told I was lying when I mentioned I knew people getting 6 or 9 months half price even when I said I saw it with my own eyes!

Highly annoying when I see people being offered far better offers than me even though I wouldn't begrudge anyone those offers obviously.

The only thing you can do is cancel if your not happy, they will try not give a discount if they don't believe you will walk. If they see an account is active 35 years they probably think that person won't bother to leave. Ive gone through the cancellation process before when I didn't get a deal and they rang afterwards to keep the business. Call their bluff.

The only thing you can do is cancel if your not happy, they will try not give a discount if they don't believe you will walk. If they see an account is active 35 years they probably think that person won't bother to leave. Ive gone through the cancellation process before when I didn't get a deal and they rang afterwards to keep the business. Call their bluff.

I cancelled last year and they offered nothing to make me stay and so I had to wait for the 30 days to expire to sign back up and still I had to ring numerous times to get 6 months half price.

My cancellation notice is due to run out Monday and they still play dumb when I ask why some get offers when others don't.

I will stand my ground over the internet but need to keep the tv for my dad which drives me mad as he won't let me move to another provider as he is set in his ways.

Guess paying for only the tv will save me alot of money in the long run so it is win/win I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Ranelite wrote: »

Did they contact you about returning your box? According to their FAQs, if they don't bother getting around to contacting you to arrange collection of the box, they'll still just charge you for it. Even though the onus should be them to make the arrangements to get it back, if they want it.
    How do I return equipment to Virgin Media?
    After your service has been cancelled, we’ll try to contact you three times to schedule a collection. Unfortunately, if we haven’t had a chance to set a time to pick up the VM Hub, Horizon TV, Digital+ or Digital+ HD box, a charge of €150 will be added to your account.

You can contact our collector directly on 01 4405310. If you want to be on the safe side, email VMEquipmentCollections@actavo.com to arrange an early pick up of the equipment.

I contacted them at the address above and they had not received any of my details from VM to arrange collection; my cancellation is due to come into operation tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,617 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

I think they are more inclined to offer a better deal if you have had an account a long time.

Based on other peoples experiences on this thread, don't think so.

VM really don't care about their customers.
    They know they have loads of customers who won't query their bills or try and get a discount.
    Their other customers (most on this thread) spend a long time trying to get BB/TV or Phone cheaper.
    VM will drag out any discounts and only give their final discount when it's the last chance before the customer goes.
    They must have a certain number that they know will go, soon to be replaced by new customers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭spannerism

Worked out different for me so I guess it's who they value more.

I've been with them since the Cablelink/NTL/UPC days - is that 25 years?

Best they offered was 3 months half price and I cancelled.
    This was one price increase to many for us.

I've saved money by switching to a Sky and Eir combo which saves us close on €300 a year. Ok I know the BB does not match in terms of speed but 100mb is fine for us.

They have really good new customer offers this month, Something again which annoys me - new customers are valued more than loyal customers.

I did :)
    okidoki987 wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 23,271 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Anyone know when sky run their half price deals for new subs? Looking to switch to them but at the moment they are dearer especially with the 16 Euro multi room charge and 17 Euro for HD is taking the pi55

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭baldbear

So the BB only offer I got 2 weeks ago was not recorded correctly on my account so I am out of contract.

what I was offered worked out at €54 a month. Virgin are doing a €44 a month offer for new customers as part of Janaury sale. What are the bets they won't offer me this when i call. Sky are doing €35 X 12.

There is one now:

http://www.sky.com/ireland/offers/affinity/

But you have to be part of a groupscheme.

I have ordered this over Christmas and am getting it installed on Saturday week -
    TV only.
    ted1 wrote: »
    Anyone know when sky run their half price deals for new subs? Looking to switch to them but at the moment they are dearer especially with the 16 Euro multi room charge and 17 Euro for HD is taking the pi55

• Registered Users Posts: 23,271 ✭✭✭✭ted1

spannerism wrote: »
    There is one now:

http://www.sky.com/ireland/offers/affinity/

But you have to be part of a groupscheme.

I have ordered this over Christmas and am getting it installed on Saturday week -
    TV only.

it works if I select a package but then if I add multi room it jumps up to full price....

ahh yes good catch. Sorry I should have given more details.

This happened for me too. I ordered it over the phone. The guys could not be more helpful. The mutiroom stays at 16 euro per month and is not discounted.

I got Variety (19.50) + HD (10) + Multiroom (16) for 45.50 for the first 9 months.

ted1 wrote: »
    it works if I select a package but then if I add multi room it jumps up to full price....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Does the Sky box have parental controls like horizon and a youtube app that you can't disable.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,411 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I got six months half-price last night with a fairly short phone call. I tried to get through to Loyalty via chat a few times without success over the past few days. My contract is expiring next week, so I was free to switch. They raised the question of speeds available, and I pushed back by saying that wireless was getting about 40Mbps anyway, so it was a bit of a moot point. They offered 3 months half price, and I went on about the Vodafone offer, so she went off to 'get approval' for a better offer.

She came back with six months half price, which works out at €63 a month for 12 months on average. The Vodafone offer is €61 a month for 18 months, so I was happy enough with that.

Your Purchases/Product Change Confirmation
    One-off Monthly
    DIGITAL VALUE (Active) - €20.00
    240MB AND ANYTIME MOBILE (Active) - €58.50
    - €29.25 LOYALTY OFFER - 6 MONTHS HALF PRICE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

beauf wrote: »
    Does the Sky box have parental controls like horizon and a youtube app that you can't disable.

dunno about you tube but there is parental controls for the tv
    you can hide all adult channels (but thats for everyone, including adults!)

otherwise you set up a pin and then that is required for all purchases

All non "u" films require a pin before 8pm as well

Advertisement