Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

Out of contract with them in just over 3 weeks, tried to get a repeat of the 6 months half price deal I got last year and all they were willing to offer was 3 months. Was basically told if I wasn't a new customer I could sing for a better discount that that. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Just on their internet chat.

Was on 240mb broadband & phone only. Were offering me €15 off first 6months.
    So basically the new customer deal on their website.

Tried pushing them for 6months half price.

They came back with 6months half price on their 360mb broadband & phone.

Works out approx €50 better than their original offer over the year plus I get the speed increase (speed doesn't really bother me anyway).

Took it.....till their next price increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭OnLooker

Paying 92.50 a month and best I could get was half price for 3 months.

Tried another angle and got Sky Sports & Cinema for 6 months free for the same monthly price of 92.50. No obligation to keep it after the 6 months

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

pippip wrote: »
    Just on their internet chat.

Was on 240mb broadband & phone only. Were offering me €15 off first 6months.
    So basically the new customer deal on their website.

Tried pushing them for 6months half price.

They came back with 6months half price on their 360mb broadband & phone.

Works out approx €50 better than their original offer over the year plus I get the speed increase (speed doesn't really bother me anyway).

Took it.....till their next price increase.
    you should get new router delivered as well, to replace them dead cisco yokes if you dont have new one yet. though speed is there wish they would allow for NAT like most other customers get it in UK if not mistaken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭d93c2inhxfok4y

Anyone switched recently and have any tips to share? I'm a just over month out from the end of my contract (Virgin 240mb + TV, €52 a month) and shopping around, have until April 28th until the 30-day point where I need to cancel.

I rang Virgin and they offered:
    - Keep the same 240mb + TV package: €64 for 6mths, €79 after, which is waaaay too expensive
    - 240mb internet only: €44 for 6mth, €59 after

Eir are offering on their site:
    - 100mb internet only: €35 for 6mths, €40 6mths after (12mth total) and their sports channels.

Tbh I'm tempted to just go with eir. I almost never use the TV and though I download a lot every month, the speed itself isn't really that big of an issue for browsing, Netflix etc. Anyone got better prices than these, should I keep calling Virgin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭sector_000

Anyone switched recently and have any tips to share? I'm a just over month out from the end of my contract (Virgin 240mb + TV, €52 a month) and shopping around, have until April 28th until the 30-day point where I need to cancel.

I rang Virgin and they offered:
    - Keep the same 240mb + TV package: €64 for 6mths, €79 after, which is waaaay too expensive
    - 240mb internet only: €44 for 6mth, €59 after

Eir are offering on their site:
    - 100mb internet only: €35 for 6mths, €40 6mths after (12mth total) and their sports channels.

Tbh I'm tempted to just go with eir. I almost never use the TV and though I download a lot every month, the speed itself isn't really that big of an issue for browsing, Netflix etc. Anyone got better prices than these, should I keep calling Virgin?

Look at the OneBigSwitch offer with eir Fibre.... works out cheaper than above Eir deal:
    https://www.onebigswitch.ie/campaigns/eir-broadband-offer/plans

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭jim salter

Just called there. A few 'issues' on my account with 'late' payment fees (€12 effing 50) even though I paid last week. Got the fees removed and when asked to be put through to Loyalty the billing rep offered to up my bundle to 240Mb with mobile calls or some crap. Half price for 3 months €28.58 (or thereabouts) and 9 months full price.
    Quoted the €35 month deal from Eir and advised 120Mb was fast enough. He offered half price on the current speed for 3 months and full price for 9 months so about €45/month over the 12 months. Could have pushed it and probably gotten half price for 6 month but couldn't be bothered.
    I must commend the rep I dealt with - Wayne. Great representation of what customer service should be. Courteous and pleasant with a sense of humour. He was the reason I actually did stay. I was fully prepared to go to Eir

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭d93c2inhxfok4y

jim salter wrote: »
    He offered half price on the current speed for 3 months and full price for 9 months so about €45/month over the 12 months. Could have pushed it and probably gotten half price for 6 month but couldn't be bothered.
    Would you mind posting the details of this? Is it internet only, and at what speed?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

Notified them that I wanted to downgrade to broadband/phone only on 12 March. Sure enough on 12 April TV stops working and I get a text saying to return the STB (happy days!). Then I get my bill 10 days later and it's for the full €93 euros instead of €49 (64 - 15 discount for 6 months). I got on the chat and they told me they're "billing system" doesnt allow for pro-rata billing (e.g. 6 days at €93/month and 24 days at €49/month) even though I downgraded my package a full 37 days before the bill was even issues. so they tell me I'll get a credit in my next bill.
    I dont really care about paying an extra 40 for a month and getting back the month after but I know this is just a bullsh*t tactic to grab on extort additional cash from you, even if temporarily. I've been a customer for 11 years straight! I'm pretty sure that if I had upgraded to a more expensive package the additional cost would've been reflected in the next bill
    Anything I can do to mess with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,829 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

they do that all the time
    and if you dont chase them for your refund, you will likely ever get it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

You won't get a refund they'll just discount your bill over time.

Check for previous threads on it...

https://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057224033

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

beauf wrote: »
    You won't get a refund they'll just discount your bill over time.

Check for previous threads on it...

https://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057224033

Thanks for flagging that thread. To be fair the lad on the chat told me I would credited on my next bill so I'm not expecting a straight refund (it kinda makes sense accounting wise).
    But the whole conversation on the chat was surreal (I've saved the transcript btw). He initially tries to convince me 3 times that the amount on the bill was correct trying to imply that I had misunderstood how the change of service works and then implying that the amount on the bill was correct but the billing dates were incorrect (blatantly wrong). Every time he'd tell me to wait 'cause he was checking his "system", would disappear for 5 minutes (with the chat window threatening to close due to inactivity) and then coming back with another b/s excuse.
    Kind of a long rant for €40 but it's a matter of principle. I wish there was a way to shame them publicly for this kind of behavior. I appreciate the broadband service I get from them and hence my loyalty over the last 11 years but hate the way they treat you. If there was a alternative in my area for high speed broadband I'd change in heart beat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Many of have the T-Shirt on dealing with accounts and UPC/VM

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Has anyone had any luck cancelling their mobile phone service with them?

I signed up for the offer that gave 5 months unlimited for 5 euro and now I'm into normal bill price. I can cancel now and move elsewhere but I was wondering if there's any chance they'd give me a better deal than full price from now on if I played the cancelling angle?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,983 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I signed up for the offer that gave 5 months unlimited for 5 euro and now I'm into normal bill price. I can cancel now and move elsewhere but I was wondering if there's any chance they'd give me a better deal than full price from now on if I played the cancelling angle?
    One time offer I was told. I just left them. That was over 6 months ago so maybe they've changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭robo

I was wondering the same thing too and I called them about another matter the other day & asked about the mobile phone offer - I was told that the offer for 5 months at a fiver is per SIM card, so if you are ok with changing your number, it may work again. But would be interested in knowing if anyone else had any joy in getting another deal seeing as the TV deals were supposed to be once off or once a year but I have had 2 in less than 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭rocky

Just started paying full 25 euro a month for the mobile after the 5 euro for 5 months. Had same offer last year. Planning to switch to 3 with 20 topup AYCED in the first month, so I can switch back to VM if this offer comes again.

Would you mind posting the details of this? Is it internet only, and at what speed?
    Thanks

Hi Kara Rich Syntax, apologies for the delayed response, just saw this now.

The package I am on is 120Mb BB with phone (don't know what phone package - never use the phone).

I was paying 47.20/month which went up to €52.49/month

called to say I was going to Eir and was offered an 'upgrade' to 240Mb and 'keep' phone...

Ended up getting 120Mb BB for ½ price for 3 months and full price (€52.49) for 9 months.

It was not an online deal or anything, just conversation with rep about other 'offers' from Eir and Sky...

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭emy

Hi Nailer6245, apologies for the delayed response, just saw this now.

The package I am on is 120Mb BB with phone (don't know what phone package - never use the phone).

I was paying 47.20/month which went up to €52.49/month

called to say I was going to Eir and was offered an 'upgrade' to 240Mb and 'keep' phone...

Ended up getting 120Mb BB for ½ price for 3 months and full price (€52.49) for 9 months.
    It was not an online deal or anything, just conversation with rep about other 'offers' from Eir and Sky...

I have the same package as you, but I pay, I think around 27 euro for six months and remaining months 42 euro.

emy wrote: »
    I have the same package as you, but I pay, I think around 27 euro for six months and remaining months 42 euro.

Hi emy, was that something you got recently?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭emy

Hi emy, was that something you got recently?
    I renewed the contract two months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,617 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

I'll be in the same boat soon for 3 sims.
    It's a 30 day rolling contract so should be able to cancel 1 month away from expiry and then take up the current offer of €12 a month for 6 months (if it's still running) with a new sim, then just port over the number or am I missing something?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

AFAIK, once you take out that offer you can never get it again even if you leave.. They'll know because your account with them

seen SIRO guys working non stop in my estate and town, spoke with one of them he said 2-3 months before fully active fibre will be available, wonder is there any way to get out from VM contract without penalty since would have about 3-4 months left, but will def ditch em if can, to get proper fiber into house.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

scamalert wrote: »
    seen SIRO guys working non stop in my estate and town, spoke with one of them he said 2-3 months before fully active fibre will be available, wonder is there any way to get out from VM contract without penalty since would have about 3-4 months left, but will def ditch em if can, to get proper fiber into house.

I wouldn’t pay too much attention to what these guys will say to you even with the best of intentions. There can often be a delay between the actual installation being finished and a final product being brought to market.

well im not jumping ship yet, do realize it will take time but once its up at least wont need to call vm each year to get some discount which they used to their advantage now for good while, as no competition was to match them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,411 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Shutting down the old analogue service could be the final nail in the coffin for me. We have the analogue service wired into the bedroom, and it would be a pain in the arse to have to go rewiring this now. If I do, it's probably a good time to get a dish, either Sky for a year or bite the bullet and get a dish for free-to-air now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭bromley52

Shutting down the old analogue service could be the final nail in the coffin for me. We have the analogue service wired into the bedroom, and it would be a pain in the arse to have to go rewiring this now. If I do, it's probably a good time to get a dish, either Sky for a year or bite the bullet and get a dish for free-to-air now.

Sky are going to start a full streaming service (outside of NowTV) in the near future so wires from a satellite dish will optionally be a thing of the past. The Sky Q boxes are ready for this to be activated.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,411 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

bromley52 wrote: »
    Sky are going to start a full streaming service (outside of NowTV) in the near future so wires from a satellite dish will optionally be a thing of the past. The Sky Q boxes are ready for this to be activated.

Interesting - so we just need a monitor screen on the wall. Would this work over a Chromecast?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shane732

Currently paying €153 per month for 240mb, Sky Sports HD, Horizon Max and Multiroom.

Thoughts on what type of a deal I should be able to get from them?

I ask thinking of cancelling and having someone else register for it.

Advertisement