Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Thestones

PHG wrote: »
    Never noticed it but found in my email. Said no penalties if cancel before 17th December. Too late so?

I don't know, I think they are supposed to write out by post, they used to do that but maybe you agreed to accept communications by email? I would give it a try, say you never saw the email and shouldn't a contract price change be sent by post? they send so many emails it would be easy to miss. If they play hardball I'd cancel in march with your 30 days notice, if they want to keep you as a customer hopefully they will agree to a better deal now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

dunno how irish law interprets legal mail, since nowadays when you sign up to most services it could be on the phone or online, thus some send you correspondence via post or email directly.

wasn't the case few years back the reason why VM were fined as not giving proper contracts out ? which they then sent out via mail and post.

Anyway i got my deal in early September for 6mo off,and did receive the email for price increase which they happily just added to this months bill almost 2e+ extra, so will need to play the ball come next year again as its good ISP service, but their prices are hammering pocket if paying in full for 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

So I agreed 29.50 for 6 months over the phone last month......Jan bill arrives 32.49, they stick an extra 3 quid on :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 31,852 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

sonofenoch wrote: »
    So I agreed 29.50 for 6 months over the phone last month......Jan bill arrives 32.49, they stick an extra 3 quid on :rolleyes:
    Standard!
    You can now waste about 30 minutes on the phone to them to get it back while they constantly put you on hold and say "thank you for patiently waiting" - then do the same thing every month for the rest of your contract :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭finglashoop

I went ahead and started cancellation process

Offered me 15 off for 6 months. The website is advertising my package for 59 per month. Mine is currently 76.

Broadband stand alone ,which is all i need is too expensive imo. At least a bundle with a discount makes it seem better value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭baldbear

Offered me 15 off for 6 months. The website is advertising my package for 59 per month. Mine is currently 76.

Broadband stand alone ,which is all i need is too expensive imo. At least a bundle with a discount makes it seem better value.
    I told them I was going to give Sky a go at €35 amonth . They said they would give €15 off. I said no and the €35 Sky deal was still too good unless they could do half price for 6mths which they did. So it works out at €44 a month I'm paying. Its what new customers are getting too I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

I got no where so went through with cancelation. Signed up for broadband only for 44 a month in my wife's name and bank details. Using iptv now for everything and Netflix. Saving 600 a year. No down time at all with change over.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,617 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Due to be cut off yesterday, NO calls, rang them Monday and best they would do was Half Price for 6 months.
    Said no thanks, rang back, got a different person who immediately said "I see you were offered 6 months half price by my colleague already and that's the best we can do".
    30 minutes on phone trying to get 9 months but no go, not impressed! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

okidoki987 wrote: »
    Due to be cut off yesterday, NO calls, rang them Monday and best they would do was Half Price for 6 months.
    Said no thanks, rang back, got a different person who immediately said "I see you were offered 6 months half price by my colleague already and that's the best we can do".
    30 minutes on phone trying to get 9 months but no go, not impressed! :rolleyes:

In fairness, half price for 6 months is what the majority of us got in here and it's a decent offer.

76e do you have a package with your BB ? since 360mb plan is 65e now, if ur on 240, dont take some crapy tv or phone deal with further expenses but just opt for 360 and do a deal on it.

see some mad ones here expecting 9 mo, i do get it some managed to get it few years in a row or at random by some luck, but id imagine unless ur using all their services or heavily invested in some area to compete with likes of fiber BB ,6 mo is sound offer, given whatever else is there to pick from atm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭finglashoop

scamalert wrote: »
    76e do you have a package with your BB ? since 360mb plan is 65e now, if ur on 240, dont take some crapy tv or phone deal with further expenses but just opt for 360 and do a deal on it.

see some mad ones here expecting 9 mo, i do get it some managed to get it few years in a row or at random by some luck, but id imagine unless ur using all their services or heavily invested in some area to compete with likes of fiber BB ,6 mo is sound offer, given whatever else is there to pick from atm.

Bb phoneline (not connected) basic tv package (rarely used ) must look into 360. They never offered any upgrades when i spoke to them and i never.thought of it tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭stuff.hunter

25 minutes on the phone and managed to get half price for 6months ...quite happy with it as initially was offered 3months only

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭GDK_11

Hi all,

Sure this is already posted here but can’t go through the whole thread searching, apologies in advance.

Coming up to my 30 notice period, how does the chat go? Simply a what can you offer me to stay type chat?

Thanks

In fairness, half price for 6 months is what the majority of us got in here and it's a decent offer.

I'd call it an "okay" offer.
    Looks like they aren't interested in competing with Eir's offer.
    It was a close decision in the end but decided against going to Eir mainly due to all the bad comments regarding their customer service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭jay0109

Got an email last night saying Sky Sports half price for 6 months (€20 or €22.50 for HD), full price for 6.
    30 day rolling contract so can be cancelled at any time i.e. you could use up the 6 months half price and cancel before the full price kicks in.

Does not put you on to a new contract, this is just an add-on to your existing contract as per the Agent I just spoke with.

Offer ends 12th Feb.

GDK_11 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Sure this is already posted here but can’t go through the whole thread searching, apologies in advance.

Coming up to my 30 notice period, how does the chat go? Simply a what can you offer me to stay type chat?

Thanks

..on chat you wont get anything, call them on 1908 option 4

• Registered Users Posts: 11,983 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

..on chat you wont get anything, call them on 1908 option 4

Well that's complete and utter nonsense but thanks for your contribution.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,983 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

GDK_11 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Thanks
    Ya just tell them you're nearly up, thinking of leaving as too expensive and competition are cheaper and then see how it goes. Worked for me two years in a row.

Well that's complete and utter nonsense but thanks for your contribution.

believe me, tried 2 years in a row and chat brought me to nowhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

believe me, tried 2 years in a row and chat brought me to nowhere

I got 6 months half price via chat, not bad for my first year with them. I tried adding multiroom TV and movies to my package yesterday via chat but no joy, they were going to remove my half price BB:pac: needless to remark I declined:P

• Advertisement

VM is sending email surveys now usually dont bother with em, but did fill out this time, just to point that their BB is great etc, but ever changing prices and that they take advantage of that is major nuisance, to put it simply said VM is great but if there was an option to say get direct fiber of someone else then the score would be low for them, just because they take advantage of the market.

I know this is small number of us here but if few people would point it out more, maybe they would get better message, i mean why not stick to general 50-55 for 360mb and gain customers and basically stick to contract instead of few smarter ones having to call them each year just to get a cut on the price which they kept increasing nearly each year now which is like close to 15e on BB alone.

they have good response and almost immediate fixing when theres down times and updates via phone or sms, but customer loyalty seems very low priority.

I mean if one is with them over 5 years youd surely want to keep such customers, since as numbers show they dont really take massive hit given they got more then 30% of market share.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Sidd

Only offered 3 months half price (from an initial €15 off) - ended up cancelling TV& BB.
    Called back with a few days to go to see what they'd - 3 months still best offer as I'd had really good discounts (previous years, 9 months and 6 months half price). Asked if they'd not reward loyalty with the same offer given to new customers but no.
    Eventually ended up with a 6 month deal on BB, cancelled the TV and am going with Sky (12 month half price - F&F offer!)

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭iknorr

This!

If you're not happy with the offers from Virgin, then move to sky. Or pick and choose.

I hate when I have to haggle each year as they are overpriced.

Im approaching the end of my 9 months half price +3 full this month. If i cant match the 101 euro price or better then its off to eircom/sky.

The problem with moving is for most, Virgin is the best BB out there.
    There comes a point in the pricing structure where you have to say enough is enough.
    Virgin won't offer discounts off unless asked as they know there are loads of customers who don't bother checking their bills each month and will just pay whatever it is.
    There is a % of customers that they have to offer incentives to, to stay and that is the important number as, if a greater % of these start to leave, Virgin will have a problem.

I wanted a 9 month offer (to match Eir yearly charge), didn't get it, best offer was 6 months but was interested in the €5 mobile offer for 5 months so had to keep the BB with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Just get the BB then and get Sky. Its a better TV system anyway. Come back in a 12 months and renegotiate.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

The problem with moving is for most, Virgin is the best BB out there.
    There comes a point in the pricing structure where you have to say enough is enough.
    Virgin won't offer discounts off unless asked as they know there are loads of customers who don't bother checking their bills each month and will just pay whatever it is.
    There is a % of customers that they have to offer incentives to, to stay and that is the important number as, if a greater % of these start to leave, Virgin will have a problem.

I wanted a 9 month offer (to match Eir yearly charge), didn't get it, best offer was 6 months but was interested in the €5 mobile offer for 5 months so had to keep the BB with them.

I kept my broadband with them- and phone- because I got 6 months half price- which made it comparable with other suppliers.
    However, I've now TV with Sky- mobile with Vodafone on a SIM only plan- and BB with Virgin. I've precisely zero loyalty- because they've made it patently clear they don't value me as a customer- and if/when I get a better offer from Vodafone (or whoever)- I am jumping. The only thing that kept me as a customer this time- was the 6 months half price- but even that only made it comparable with other suppliers. Its not that its remarkably better than other suppliers- I can get a perfectly decent connection from Vodafone- and probably will go with them next time- if it makes financial sense to.

I am a modern customer- I shop around- for all the services I buy. I've changed my bank account twice in the last 3 years- chasing lower costs- and I change my car insurance every year. This is the new normal. If companies want us to stay- there has to be some quid-pro-quo on their part to show they value us as loyal customers- in Virgin's case- they just don't care.

Its a better TV system anyway

True but getting more and more expensive.
    Add on's like multi room another €16 a month, HD etc, it all ads up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

True but getting more and more expensive.
    Add on's like multi room another €16 a month, HD etc, it all ads up.

I've never ever paid full price to sky for any of their extras once I was out of the initial 12 month period 2009-10. A 10 minute phone call is all it takes to save substantial amounts of money with these providers. My Energia 26% discount is ending in early February I'll be on to them giving them the hustle next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭GDK_11

Ya just tell them you're nearly up, thinking of leaving as too expensive and competition are cheaper and then see how it goes. Worked for me two years in a row.

Got 6 months half price through the chat, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

I had a good moan on the survey about pricing, ended up getting a call. Soke about value and moving. Got half price BB for 6 months. TV the same price. Then it all goes back to my original price. Which is still cheaper then new sign ups after there promotion ends.

Advertisement