Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Vodafone bb only offer at the moment- is:

Speed 1Gb (max you can get from UPC/Virgin is 360Mb)
    6 months @ 25 and 6 months @ 70 on a 12 month contract

I.e. EUR 47.50 a month on a 12 month contract for 1Gb Broadband- delivered by SIRO with a backup 4G connection for network assurance @ 120Mb

Honestly- this blasts anything Virgin have- out of the water- and it also puts their argument about their superior network and speed etc- to bed for once and for all.

If you are in an area which is enabled for SIRO (Naas was enabled in November, Maynooth and Leixlip should be by the end of January and West Dublin by March)- its a no-brainer.

Virgin are in deep trouble unless they pull something out of the bag- they're being beaten hands down by Vodafone on this- in areas where SIRO has been turned on (which is rapidly increasing).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,271 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I.e. EUR 47.50 a month on a 12 month contract for 1Gb Broadband- delivered by SIRO with a backup 4G connection for network assurance @ 120Mb

Honestly- this blasts anything Virgin have- out of the water- and it also puts their argument about their superior network and speed etc- to bed for once and for all.

If you are in an area which is enabled for SIRO (Naas was enabled in November, Maynooth and Leixlip should be by the end of January and West Dublin by March)- its a no-brainer.

Virgin are in deep trouble unless they pull something out of the bag- they're being beaten hands down by Vodafone on this- in areas where SIRO has been turned on (which is rapidly increasing).

In fairness only very few people can get 1 Gb where as all Virgin customers can get 360Mb

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

ted1 wrote: »
    In fairness only very few people can get 1 Gb where as all Virgin customers can get 360Mb

The Vodafone 1Gb connection- is a fibre connection over the ESBs broadband backbone. Its cheaper than the 360Mb Virgin connection- which not all customers can get. The ESB are lighting up entire new areas every week- the 1Gb connection is over their connection- the regular vodafone broadband is over Eircom's network- this is not the Eircom version of Vodafone- its the ESB version......... Google SIRO and have a look.........

The Vodafone 1Gb connection- is a fibre connection over the ESBs broadband backbone. Its cheaper than the 360Mb Virgin connection- which not all customers can get. The ESB are lighting up entire new areas every week- the 1Gb connection is over their connection- the regular vodafone broadband is over Eircom's network- this is not the Eircom version of Vodafone- its the ESB version......... Google SIRO and have a look.........

I work for ESB I'm well aware of SIRO,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I tried calling them to get a deal but as I'm already in 49 pm they wouldn't budge.
    I did get fed up with them telling me I was already discounted. Didn't quiet get it that that was they deal they were offering to new customers 6 months ago so it wasn't discounted in the slightest.
    Anyway. Everyone else was dearer so I stuck with it.
    They're not a patch on the sky interface. But then sky BB when I had it was crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

I.e. EUR 47.50 a month on a 12 month contract for 1Gb Broadband- delivered by SIRO with a backup 4G connection for network assurance @ 120Mb.

Have you a link for this? I can only see 18 month contracts on the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭magicray

Can anyone explain SIRO to me, I've cancelled VM its gone in a couple of weeks, this looks like a great deal - I am in Lucan so West Dublin, if we go with Vodafone now does that mean we wont actually get that speed until March ?

Also anyone know anything about their TV, I would be looking at BB TV and home phone - is there a record facility :o I cant miss the soaps :)

Siro is a commercial venture of ESB and Vodafone to sell FTTH (fibre to the Home ) to commercial companies. They are running the fibre along existing electrical poles and underground.

In towns where they have it you can get fast broadband from a number of different providers.

Basically copper wire isn’t meant to carry data yet alone high speed data, so SIRO are running completely new infrastructure and doing a good job that several other countries have come over to use it as a template

I’m not sure if Lucan is in their roadmap you can use their address checker www.siro.ie

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

240MB BB only here, and recently got a bill for €56. Time to ring/cancel since newbies are getting €44 a month for 12 months. Newbie boardsies are getting that + a €50 voucher.

Was offered €41 for 6 months, and €56 thereafter. €48.50 average a month. I played the Eir being €35 a month and Vodafone having an offer of €25 card, and got an amazing response - "its only up to 100MB", "will struggle with streaming netflix", "Eir's speed wouldn't be physically capable of downloading as much as you've downloaded this month". Laughed it off and got a better deal.

€28*6months + €56*6months. Averages out at €42 pcm for the year so happy enough. Might have got a bit more if i'd "cancelled" but i'm content with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

called again, couldnt even beat the new customer offers never mind matching sky / eir.

gave me 3 months half price but said i have 3 months half price left on the account anyways so no point!

offered bb on its own 44 for 6 months then 59, when i said new customers get 44 anyways for 12 months, couldnt match it.

we kinda agreed it would be best to let the cancellation go through and let someone else in the household set it up as a new customer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Branch

I just got off the phone too/ 45x6months and 55x6 months for a 12 month contract.

They are annoying me. They keep harping on about how great their network is. I kept telling them about Siro and they say Vodafone aren't good to deal with. I reminded them that I'd problems with Virgin to begin with as well.

Then she tried selling me the €5 mobile package!

i will get in sky bb ont he affinity deal but i would need my phone socket moved from hall behind the tv, anyone know if its hard to do or expensive to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭rocky

Called again yesterday after cancelling around Dec 11th, didn't hear anything in the meantime from Loyalty or collecting their equipment .

From 120Mbps (+ some landline package, no TV) for 52.5 got offered 240 Mbps (+Anytime mobile, never use the phone) for 29.5 for 6 months and 59 for 6 months. Didn't need the increase in speed, but happy enough with the deal (that any new customer can get :rolleyes:)

Especially including the Mobile offer of 5 euro a month for 5 months for AYCE data, all calls to mobiles and landlines in Ireland included (we got for Black Friday I believe), and also 6.8GB data while roaming in Europe during the holidays and called Irish numbers for free (well 5 euro/month)

The upload speed of 24Mbps should be more important (can't remember what it was for the old 120Mbps package)

if cancellation gos through can someone else in household sign up for the new offers and does bank account details need to be different for the direct debit ?

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Morby

On 240Mb BB and Mobile package, got a deal in the end that works out at €38.50 per month over the course of 12 months, happy enough with that as my price was increasing to €59 per month, no way in hell I'm paying nearly €60 for broadband alone. It's not so long ago I remember them doing triple play deals for €65/70 pm.

On a 240mb + phone+Tv+Second room around 105 a month

Got offered 82.50 for 6 months and then 97.50 for 6 months or
    51.25 for 3 months and 85 for 9

Told them to stuff it

Keeping the broadband and phone for 44

Moving to sky variety + Hd pack + second room for 49.70 for 9 months and then 72. Slightly more expensive but a better tv service and in 4K.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 jazthedribbler

With a bit of luck and a civilized chat with cancellations/loyalty I feel got a good VM loyalty deal.

Was on 6 months half price + 6 months full price for 240Mb Virgin Full House TV And Anytime Mobile so was paying 93.50. Within 30 days of my contract ending so gave VM a call. Had my spreadsheet at the ready for reference and for on the fly calculations.

Spoke to very nice guy in Cancellations/Loyalty. Asked him what he could do for me to stay. €15 off per month. I mentioned €400 deal with Eir. He said he could do 6 months half price. I mentioned I once got a 12 month half price all-in deal with Sky. He couldn't do that however he came back with 9 months half price. I was happy with that but asked what he could do for Sky Sports as Eir have free BT/Eir Sports. 1 euro a month for 6 months and can cancel without affecting main contract. Added HD Sports for extra 5 euro a month two days later.

Just need to remember cancel the Sky Sports and HD before the 6 months is up.

Summary: €53 for 9 months. €94 for 3 months. €6 Sky Sports HD for 6 months (need to cancel before 6 month end). Happy days.

"One-off Monthly 240MB VIRGIN FULL HOUSE TV ANYTIME MOBILE (Active)-€94.00 - €47.00 LOYALTY OFFER - 9 MONTHS HALF PRICE
    Sky Sport HD pack-€45.00
    Sky Sports HD Pack
    • Sky Sports Arena in HD and in SD
    • Sky Sports Football in HD and in SD
    • Sky Sports Main Event in HD and in SD
    • Sky Sports Cricket in HD and in SD
    • Sky Sports Action in HD and in SD
    • Sky Sports Golf in HD and in SD
    • Sky Sports Premier League in HD and in SD

Watch the action from all of your favourite sporting heroes with Sky Sports in stunning HD. A HD Subscription is also required to avail of this offer.

30 day contract applies - €39.00 6 Euro for 6 Months Sky Premiums HD Promotion

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Morby wrote: »
    On 240Mb BB and Mobile package, got a deal in the end that works out at €38.50 per month over the course of 12 months, happy enough with that as my price was increasing to €59 per month, no way in hell I'm paying nearly €60 for broadband alone. It's not so long ago I remember them doing triple play deals for €65/70 pm.

Nice deal. Did you have to go down the cancelling route, or did you just phone up and say no until they gave you that deal?

I'm on 240MB broadband and home phone for €42 a month average and happy with that. Mobile might have been nice, but last time I switch (to that 48 network) it was awful - constantly dropping cells where meteor had 100% coverage before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭finglashoop

I rang today. Last year i had 6 months half price, year previous was 9 months. My bill is 75. Offered me 10 euro off told him bo. Told me its case by case basis.

What number are people ringing? Loyalty or cancellations?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭robo

I rang today. Last year i had 6 months half price, year previous was 9 months. My bill is 75. Offered me 10 euro off told him bo. Told me its case by case basis.

What number are people ringing? Loyalty or cancellations?

I rang 1908 and went through their to "cancel" - depends on the person you get I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Amouar

I'm happy that I didn't accept their 15euros off for 6 months last month as they now agreed to give me 6 months half price without any discussion when I told them that I will move to Vodafone as they were cheaper. The lady told me that She can't do 9 months half price as I only have bb and phone and they give that discount to those with TV aswell.

Good luck all!

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭magicray

With a bit of luck and a civilized chat with cancellations/loyalty I feel got a good VM loyalty deal.

Was on 6 months half price + 6 months full price for 240Mb Virgin Full House TV And Anytime Mobile so was paying 93.50. Within 30 days of my contract ending so gave VM a call. Had my spreadsheet at the ready for reference and for on the fly calculations.

Spoke to very nice guy in Cancellations/Loyalty. Asked him what he could do for me to stay. €15 off per month. I mentioned €400 deal with Eir. He said he could do 6 months half price. I mentioned I once got a 12 month half price all-in deal with Sky. He couldn't do that however he came back with 9 months half price. I was happy with that but asked what he could do for Sky Sports as Eir have free BT/Eir Sports. 1 euro a month for 6 months and can cancel without affecting main contract. Added HD Sports for extra 5 euro a month two days later.

Just need to remember cancel the Sky Sports and HD before the 6 months is up.

Summary: €53 for 9 months. €94 for 3 months. €6 Sky Sports HD for 6 months (need to cancel before 6 month end). Happy days.

"One-off Monthly 240MB VIRGIN FULL HOUSE TV ANYTIME MOBILE (Active)-€94.00 - €47.00 LOYALTY OFFER - 9 MONTHS HALF PRICE
    Sky Sport HD pack-€45.00
    Sky Sports HD Pack
    • Sky Sports Arena in HD and in SD
    • Sky Sports Football in HD and in SD
    • Sky Sports Main Event in HD and in SD
    • Sky Sports Cricket in HD and in SD
    • Sky Sports Action in HD and in SD
    • Sky Sports Golf in HD and in SD
    • Sky Sports Premier League in HD and in SD

Watch the action from all of your favourite sporting heroes with Sky Sports in stunning HD. A HD Subscription is also required to avail of this offer.

30 day contract applies - €39.00 6 Euro for 6 Months Sky Premiums HD Promotion

Thats a great deal, I never seem to get the right person when I ring

• Registered Users Posts: 73,383 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Not really getting anywhere with Virgin this time. Wanted to initially get a deal on the existing bundle but they’re not playing ball.
    Now I have sky B.B. I just want to keep the tv but €10 off x 6 is all I’m getting. Anyone get anything better?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,380 ✭✭✭fletch

Rang up for my parents...they were on
    120MB + Phone + TV + Multiroom - €98.50 a month.

After a long call to 1908, got the following deal
    240MB + Phone + TV + Multiroom - €55.50 for 9 months + €100 for the last 3 months

Parents very happy with the €382.50 annual saving.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

fletch wrote: »
    Rang up for my parents...they were on
    120MB + Phone + TV + Multiroom - €98.50 a month.

After a long call to 1908, got the following deal
    240MB + Phone + TV + Multiroom - €55.50 for 9 months + €100 for the last 3 months

Parents very happy with the €382.50 annual saving.

Nice!

Thought they would only deal with the account holder?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,380 ✭✭✭fletch

Nice!

Thought they would only deal with the account holder?
    They thought they were :)

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭PHG

Do you need to be up for renewal to try to cancel?

Just had my first bill up to €88.50, 240mb + tv, renewal not until April. Would I be penalised if I canceled now?

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Thestones

PHG wrote: »
    Do you need to be up for renewal to try to cancel?

Just had my first bill up to €88.50, 240mb + tv, renewal not until April. Would I be penalised if I canceled now?

If your in contract yes but did you receive an email about a price increase? that allows you to cancel without penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭PHG

Thestones wrote: »
    If your in contract yes but did you receive an email about a price increase? that allows you to cancel without penalty.

Never noticed it but found in my email. Said no penalties if cancel before 17th December. Too late so?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Got Sky Sports for €1 a month for a year and a €30 discount for six months on my TV, phone and broadband package before Christmas. In fairness I was going to switch to Sky but that convinced me to sign up for another year.

Advertisement