Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭derra

ted1 wrote: »
    They offered me the same, said I’ve had to many half price deals.

Moved to sky, half price for 9 months.

The difference in the Q box compared to the horizon is crazy. So much faster to navigate and search guide etc.
    fdevine wrote: »
    From order to delivery of new VM hardware takes less than a week. I couldn't get a decent deal out of them last August so cancelled. Three weeks into the 30 day notice my missus signed up as a new VM customer. Few days overlap but no loss of service. Only retained VM for TV as we got 12 months at €35 off so full package was cheaper than standalone BB.

I signed up to Sky on half price for 6 months and €100 prepaid Mastercard.

Moving to Sky with Q was the best decision I've made in years. As soon as I can get a decent BB alternative I'll be dumping VM altogether.

Thanks for the replies.

I rang Sky, came up with a package and price to give me an idea of something to play with when ringing VM.

I rang again and got a different person on the phone this time and the difference was night and day regarding their attitude on the phone.

I ended up getting €10 off the bundle for 6 months as well as the multi-room for a €5 for 6 months and i got the Sky Sports for a year at €1.

So after weighing up between that and Sky which was higher than i had hoped, i just went another year on that offer with VM.

I agree the Horizon box is a nightmare but for recording and better interface, i still use the older box and have the Horizon in a another room and all is done on that is to change channels.

I didn't want to go through the whole changing over process as it all works fine as it is.

freebee23 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Posted here previously after getting a 9 months half price offer of €23.24 for 9 months and €49.99 thereafter.
    However when I checked my bills for the last 2 months noticed that they were charging me €27.50 per month which is higher than the agreed price. Gave them a call and they are crediting my account for 12 months at the difference the two amounts.
    I would recommend that each person check the email you received detailing your offer prices and make sure that your bills reflect this.

Cheers,
    freebee23

Yep, i will be checking that and comparing when the Bill comes in.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Zico !

Got offered a half price deal but the 360broadband down to 240broadband i presume thats the speed is there much difference

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

Zico ! wrote: »
    Got offered a half price deal but the 360broadband down to 240broadband i presume thats the speed is there much difference
    Could you share a bit more details?
    What did you say to customer service? How many calls were necessary?
    Did you avail of a promotion in the past year?
    Thanks... coming up to my contract renewal period and want to work on my approach

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭roxana

I cancelled. Moved to eir for a year for €35 first six months and €40 thereafter (+ cashback €50 sent on paypal). Virgin did not even bother to keep me as their customer (called me back once with ****ty offer of €10 off for 3 months).
    Eir speed isn't the best, but I manage to download big files with no problem, it is taking a bit longer, overall I am happy with their service.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Thanks Roxana, I've cancelled too and will probably move to Eir. VM's offer was still costing hundreds more per year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭magicray

We cancelled too and went with Sky for tv, broadband and phone - I am delighted with it tbh, the TV is way superior to the horizon box - sorry I didnt move years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 3,549 ✭✭✭dubrov

If you have to ask, the answer is there is no difference at all.

Eirs contract is 18 months -if you get broadband phone and tv youll end up paying more

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

roxana wrote: »
    I cancelled. Moved to eir for a year for €35 first six months and €40 thereafter (+ cashback €50 sent on paypal). Virgin did not even bother to keep me as their customer (called me back once with ****ty offer of €10 off for 3 months).
    Eir speed isn't the best, but I manage to download big files with no problem, it is taking a bit longer, overall I am happy with their service.

Same here. Happy to move off virgin and never look back.
    Eirs contract is 18 months -if you get broadband phone and tv youll end up paying more

All Eir broadband offers are 12 month contract. You should know it, it looks very suspicious your misinformational posts here...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Yeah it's 12 months, works out way cheaper. Where did you get the 50 cashback?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Has anybody ever cancelled and rejoined to get a better deal.

Ah ok it ended in november

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭kaymin

Virgin offered me €28 per month for broadband and home phone for 6 months and €57 per month for the following 6 months. I turned it down as they pissed me off with how they imposed recent price increases while in contract.

Going to Vodafone for broadband only - €25 / month for 6 months followed by €45 / month for 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,383 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Vodafone are very likely to increase the price within contract too, but it’s certainly cheaper and it means you’ll probably be free to move at some stage in the full price part of your contract. VM/UPC we’re and are completely unpredictable in their offers for new and existing customers, they change the rationale 4 times a year. They’re going through a mean phase at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Vodafone are very likely to increase the price within contract too, but it’s certainly cheaper and it means you’ll probably be free to move at some stage in the full price part of your contract. VM/UPC we’re and are completely unpredictable in their offers for new and existing customers, they change the rationale 4 times a year. They’re going through a mean phase at the moment.

VF are cheaper but it's an inferior product compared to VM. I was with VF who raised the price by a fiver during my contract. I contacted them and they offered me the fiver off, but, that meant entering a new contract, I said thanks but no thanks and went to VM. As far as I can see the only isp's that will give any meaningful discount are VM and Sky.

zom wrote: »
    Same here. Happy to move off virgin and never look back.

All Eir broadband offers are 12 month contract. You should know it, it looks very suspicious your misinformational posts here...

https://switcher.ie/broadband/providers/eir/eir-vision-tv-essential-broadband/

:rolleyes:

Just to share my experience... we've been looking to cut the (TV) cord for a while but out of laziness and my wife's 100s of GB's of TV recordings on the Horizon box we never pulled the trigger... 'till today!
    Phoned loyalty, had a candid conversation with a polite Irish fellow on how their TV service is crap for €30 a month (too many adverts, too little HD, old re-runs, etc). Tried to give me a discount on my current Horizon Max package (for 3 months). Was clear with him about what we wanted (Broadband+Phone only) and that we saw 2 options to move forward: either Virgin offered us the promo currently on the website for new customers (6 months at €49 then €64) or we would cancel the service and re-subscribe under my wife's name. He tried to say the max he could do was 3 months at €49, 9 months full price, bla bla bla but ultimately gave us what we wanted.

Wasnt aware there is a 30-day notice for all contract changes. Had put an alarm in my calendar for when I would be out of contract (tomorrow) but I actually should've phoned them a month ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Currently on Virgins 240mb and phone only and time to renew.
    From online it looks like all they are offering is €44 for 6 months then €59 for the next 6 months.

Looking at switcher.ie it looks like Eir's deal is brilliant value. Basically €35 for 6 months and €40 for 6 months (12 month contract and when ordered online).

Looks like exact same as Virgin apart from 100mb (which doesn't bother me) phone calls same apart from international. Plus I get the Eir and BT sports package!

Am i missing any catches before I pull the trigger?

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

As bad as virgin media’s customer service is, in my experiences Eir customer service is an absolute nightmare.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Aquos76 wrote: »
    As bad as virgin media’s customer service is, in my experiences Eir customer service is an absolute nightmare.

+1 I ended up 3 times in the small claims court with Eircom- without ever having managed to get them to supply a service (this was when a customer couldn't cancel a direct debit- the business had to do so- SEPA has made life a million times more bearable).

• Registered Users Posts: 73,383 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The other thing is that it’s “up to” 100mb

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Cheers all. Might think about it further.

I have been with Eir in work for years and never any problems so never really dealt with customer service.

I was with SKY before Virgin and to be honest never really noticed any speed difference in normal usage. Was getting 70mb.

Considerable saving so very tempted.

We are too addicted to speed at home to change to an "up to 100MB" service. While messing around on the Virgin router last sunday I discovered we have 25 devices actively connected to wifi at home (!!!). Granted, 15 of them usually dont need much bandwidth (e.g. home automation stuff, smart scale, IP cams, Alexas) but the other 10+ do and often work simultaneously (4 computers, 2 tablets, 3 smartphones, 2 set-top boxes, 1 console).
    I know I dont need the headline "360MB" speed Virgin promises at the moment but it gives me comfort that the technology they uses (DOCSIS 3.1 HFC) has scope to be upgraded to much higher speeds in the future (theoretically up to 10 Gbps downstream and 1 Gbps upstream) with limited investments.
    The VDSL technology Eir uses has a theoretical maximum of 200-300Mb beyond what they offer at the moment. To increase it further would mean bringing the fiber closer to the household which is a very expensive endeavor for an operator with limited financial means

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I rarely get the full speed on VM due to a lot of older devices and interference from other WiFi networks. But its more about the lowest baseline speed still remains good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Shuttle666

Aquos76 wrote: »

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/consumer/going-spare-at-eir-pricewatch-mailbag-fills-up-with-complaints-1.3418274?mode=amp

Got a 6 ,month half price deal on tv broadband mobile world happy with that -had a 9 month one last year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Got a 6 ,month half price deal on tv broadband mobile world happy with that -had a 9 month one last year

Nice one. I am about to give them a call. How did you go about it?

coldfire1x wrote: »
    Nice one. I am about to give them a call. How did you go about it?

give them 30 days notice and they offer you the deal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

I tried to get a deal out of them the other day and it was like pulling teeth. The agent I was dealing with actually pretty rude in the end so I cancelled my world package or whatever it's called, I was paying 80 quid a month. I might sign up again for just broadband

Advertisement