Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medical student assaults girlfriend

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭dresden8

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Yes but I'm sure she wasn't expecting to be beaten and humiliated. You seem to be gloating about the fact that she was after daring to start it. Simply challenging someone on their ****ty behaviour or raising your voice could be considered "starting a fight" (and we don't know that this isn't how this incident started). Would she also deserve a beating then?

She didn't challenge him or raise her voice. She made it physical when she shoved the food into his face. That's assault. That's the start of a fight. She started the fight. She shouldn't have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chrongen

Did he complain? Is there some suggestion that he went to the police and said he was the victim of an assault and they questioned her about the food-pushing aspect, or the slap?

Sure if he didn't regard himself as having been assaulted, and she wasn't charged with assault, the issue is all very moot. Isn't it? You say "she did after all slap him". I'm not sure that was ever put to her in the case at all. We can't make any presumptions about her conduct, she wasn't in the dock.

You are correct. But we must also entertain the possibility that while charges were filed against him on the night in question she may have since chosen not to cooperate with the prosecution. The fact that the case has been adjourned until next April I think would suggest this. I could be wrong but I have seen cases whereby the aggrieved party has involved the police in the heat of the moment only to then have a change of heart and not wish to pursue an active case. She has sobered up, realised that this is a serious business and she doesn't want it to go the distance.

This doesn't excuse his violent conduct but if there was such acrimony between the two and she was adamant to press ahead with the charges I can only imagine that he too would want to drag her through the mire by pressing charges however flimsy.

I'm guessing that his lawyer has told him to have her refuse to cooperate and in turn to enter into a pleas whereby the case is adjourned contemplating dismissal.

I could be wildly off the mark here. Was she in court giving evidence? But spats between estranged partners can often seem a lot more serious than they are and when they involve the police they regret it after the dust settles and the booze wears off.

And please, anyone who wants to chime in and blindly accuse me of apologising for the guy and his thuggish actions can save your breath. I'm not saying that and I'm not going to be drawn on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Ok so you are just stuck on that setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,535 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Chrongen wrote: »
    The fact that the case has been adjourned until next April I think would suggest this.

I'm guessing that his lawyer has told him to have her refuse to cooperate and in turn to enter into a pleas whereby the case is adjourned contemplating dismissal.

I could be wildly off the mark here. Was she in court giving evidence?

Have you read any of the reports?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

dresden8 wrote: »
    You're agreed then. She was wrong to start a fight. Good.

Why is it so important to you that the victim of an unprovoked attack should be blamed for "starting" a previous physical altercation (one which had ended when she left the room)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

..... what?? :confused:

Coming up on 300 posts and I'm still not seeing anything other that a thinly veiled 'she was asking for it'.

Well she was asking for some kind of reaction but what she got, I'll agree, was vicious and over the top.

If he, instead of laying a finger on her, calmly went into her room and smashed up her TV set or coveted ornaments she most certainly would have been asking for that and you would probably concur. That's a crime too...destruction of property. The fact that she got a beating doesn't change the fact that she was asking for something.

Did she deserve the beating?NO, not at all and nobody is condoning it, like you're "thinly" trying to maintain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

RayM wrote: »
    Why is it so important to you that the victim of an unprovoked attack should be blamed for "starting" a previous physical altercation (one which had ended when she left the room)?

If you apply the understanding of justice and fair play that a 5-year old has, it actually makes perfect sense.

By the age of 6 most people have learned the next stage: 'I don't care WHO started it, both of you, sit down and eat your tea!'

After that, a more nuanced understanding usually develops.

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    ..... what?? :confused:

What do you mean "WHAT?"

What's so hard for you to understand? I've seen it before. boyfriend / girlfriend bust up that they regret after but now it's in the hands of the courts and they don't want it to go the distance. Ask any lawyer.

What do you mean "WHAT?"

What's so hard for you to understand? I've seen it before. boyfriend / girlfriend bust up that they regret after but now it's in the hands of the courts and they don't want it to go the distance. Ask any lawyer.

So, you think she no longer wants to go ahead with the case and, instead of dropping the charges, she has - on the advice of the lawyer of the chap who kicked her around her gaf - decided to become uncooperative with the court... is that correct? :confused:

• Advertisement

Hoboo wrote: »
    Have you read any of the reports?

I read the newspaper article. It makes no mention of her being in court to give evidence.

I read the newspaper article. It makes no mention of her being in court to give evidence.

He pleaded guilty, why would she be?

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    So, you think she no longer wants to go ahead with the case and, instead of dropping the charges, she has - on the advice of the lawyer of the chap who kicked her around her gaf - decided to become uncooperative with the court... is that correct?

I've seen it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

Gijoseph wrote: »
    Or thinly veiled its perfectly OK to hit men.

Again where was that said?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭pitifulgod

There's no requirement to be in court, trauma could be the exact reason she wasn't in court. This is a brutal attack, stop painting it as an argument that got out of hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

pitifulgod wrote: »

There's no requirement to be in court, trauma could be the exact reason she wasn't in court. This is a brutal attack, stop painting it as an argument that got out of hand.

That's exactly what it was.

I've seen it before.

A Guilty plea was a fairly bold strategy so, Cotton... ya gotta wonder if it's gonna pay off!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭pitifulgod

It's a brutal attack. Far worse than any out of hand argument. He was intent on making her physically and mentally suffering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I can only assume that you're being willfully obtuse. If someone is being chased from room to room, being punched to the ground and repeatedly kicked while they're down, before having a can of Coke ritually poured upon them, that's a sustained attack - not merely some "argument that got out of hand".

pitifulgod wrote: »

It's a brutal attack. Far worse than any out of hand argument. He was intent on making her physically and mentally suffering.

Oh please. I swear feminists are going to send us back to the 1800s. I can feel the vapours starting.

• Advertisement

He pleaded guilty, why would she be?

Yes, he did. You're right. So this was actually a hearing/arraignment rather than a trial where she would be required to give evidence.

If he pled guilty then why was the case adjourned? Surely open and closed?

Was the case adjourned or was the guilty verdict accepted and a date for sentencing set?

Oh please. I swear feminists are going to send us back to the 1800s. I can feel the vapours starting.

OH MY GOD WE GET IT

RayM wrote: »

I can only assume that you're being willfully obtuse. If someone is being chased from room to room, being punched to the ground and repeatedly kicked while they're down, before having a can of Coke ritually poured upon them, that's a sustained attack - not merely some "argument that got out of hand".

"Ritually" ????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

I'll bet she thinks twice about raising her hand (or curry tray) to anyone again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Don Kiddick

Perhaps you are correct and she should have not run away, only aggravated the situation I guess ...I mean,...if she's not going to stand and take a punch, she only has herself to blame when he gives her a shoeing

OH MY GOD WE GET IT

Chill, dearie chill.

WTF has this to do with feminism, it was one human attacking another in a brutal and unjustifiable way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

If it happened to you, if you threw food at your partner and unleashed the Hulk who beats you down and chases after you trying to kick the door in, would you just take it? Would you sit on it, if it was just an argument you started after all? Would you have so little respect for yourself and consideration for other people he might go all psycho on next?

pablo128 wrote: »
    I'll bet she thinks twice about raising her hand (or curry tray) to anyone again.

Unlikely. She's seen what happens and how her instigating a fight gets defended, excused and swept under the rug.

• Advertisement

Unlikely. She's seen what happens and how her instigating a fight gets defended, excused and swept under the rug.

Show me 1 post, where someone has said she was right to throw food in his face.

Advertisement