Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Varadkar told to "shut his gob" by the UK Sun

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,072 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Arlene is doing the stock DUP dance when they know they are backed into a corner. Attack Dublin or SF.

Pure siege politics. She cannot even remotely formulate a defence of the northern Ireland Leave stance and so plays to her base.

....she's a "No!!!" sort of gal.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

You haven't told us what you want to happen as far as the EU is concerned. It seems like a waste of energy complaining about something that is already underway, do you just expect a reverse on the vote?

Well I don't know you but at the same time I wouldn't wish a hard Brexit on anyone. A report on a hard Brexit indicates that the UK would lose 400 billion from their economy in the next 10 years.

I'm not complaining about the vote. I'm just mystified why a unionist would vote for something that would considerably weaken the UK.

They attacked all aspects of people from the Orange cultural background. That includes religion.

But there's no correlation between unionism and Protestantism. Great that should confuse some of the loyalist posters on here. I'll remember that next time they confuse unionism with being Protestant.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

How she is a leader of any group at all is remarkable. What a horrible, intransigent, ignorant woman.

McGuiness spent years trying to build bridges and work with the Unionists. Himself and Paisley eventually becoming friends even!

Didnt take long for ol' Arlene to sour all that progress. She should have resigned following Cash for Ash. To think that the DUP are now propoing up the UK government! Really, the Tories are the most miserable collective of cretins to ever form a cabinet. Destroying the country while all trying to stab the other in the back (Gove stabs Boris, Boris stabs May, Davis stabs May). Resignations, firings and scandals everywhere.

Whats even more amazing is the DUP are more actively engaged in politics in Westminster than Stormont. She is not representing the people of Northern Ireland, people who voted remain by a greater margin than that in the vote which triggered Brexit, I understand.

It's a disgrace.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

steddyeddy wrote: »
    You haven't told us what you want to happen as far as the EU is concerned. It seems like a waste of energy complaining about something that is already underway, do you just expect a reverse on the vote?

Well I don't know you but at the same time I wouldn't wish a hard Brexit on anyone. A report on a hard Brexit indicates that the UK would lose 400 billion from their economy in the next 10 years.

I'm not complaining about the vote. I'm just mystified why a unionist would vote for something that would considerably weaken the UK.
    So no offering of a solution from someone who disagrees with Brexit, so just what is the point? It's going to happen anyway, even if you think it's a disaster and you are entitled to think that, it's unlikely to be stopped now. 
    J Mysterio wrote: »
    How she is a leader of any group at all is remarkable. What a horrible, intransigent, ignorant woman.

McGuiness spent years trying to build bridges and work with the Unionists. Himself and Paisley eventually becoming friends even!

Didnt take long for ol' Arlene to sour all that progress. She should have resigned following Cash for Ash. To think that the DUP are now propoing up the UK government! Really, the Tories are the most miserable collective of cretins to ever form a cabinet. Destroying the country while all trying to stab the other in the back (Gove stabs Boris, Boris stabs May, Davis stabs May). Resignations, firings and scandals everywhere.

Whats even more amazing is the DUP are more actively engaged in politics in Westminster than Stormont. She is not representing the people of Northern Ireland, people who voted remain by a greater margin than that in the vote which triggered Brexit, I understand.

It's a disgrace.

A few issues with this post, firstly the idea that Arlene Foster soured the relations between Sinn Fein and the DUP when that is nonsense, they have never liked each other. Peter Robinson replaced Ian Paisley as he was ousted from the party in what amounted to a coup. The relationship was never that good between Mcguinness and Robinson and when Arlene Foster replaced him, it wasn't that much worse. 

Secondly of course the DUP are more focused on Westminster because the Assembly doesn't exist and they have a big mandate to represent the voters at Westminster. Local governing politics in NI is "dead" now and might have to wait a while to see if it ever get's resuscitated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67,598 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Typical Brexiteer nonsense.

They vote to Brexit and then look to others to offer a solution to the many messes they have made.

You couldn't invent this stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

So no offering of a solution from someone who disagrees with Brexit, so just what is the point? It's going to happen anyway, even if you think it's a disaster and you are entitled to think that, it's unlikely to be stopped now. 

A united Ireland could be one solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,072 ✭✭✭Odhinn

A few issues with this post, firstly the idea that Arlene Foster soured the relations between Sinn Fein and the DUP when that is nonsense, they have never liked each other. Peter Robinson replaced Ian Paisley as he was ousted from the party in what amounted to a coup. The relationship was never that good between Mcguinness and Robinson and when Arlene Foster replaced him, it wasn't that much worse

According to the vast majority of observers it became considerably worse, because Foster is old school hardliner who believes "Not an Inch" is too liberal a stance.

Odhinn wrote: »
    According to the vast majority of observers it became considerably worse, because Foster is old school hardliner who believes "Not an Inch" is too liberal a stance.

Of course it did, you only had to have ears and eyes in your head to witness it. Arlene thinks it's the 50's

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

They attacked all aspects of people from the Orange cultural background. That includes religion.

The demographic least likely to be killed or injured during the troubles was Protestant Civilian.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,031 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

A few issues with this post, firstly the idea that Arlene Foster soured the relations between Sinn Fein and the DUP when that is nonsense, they have never liked each other. Peter Robinson replaced Ian Paisley as he was ousted from the party in what amounted to a coup. The relationship was never that good between Mcguinness and Robinson and when Arlene Foster replaced him, it wasn't that much worse.

Secondly of course the DUP are more focused on Westminster because the Assembly doesn't exist and they have a big mandate to represent the voters at Westminster. Local governing politics in NI is "dead" now and might have to wait a while to see if it ever get's resuscitated.

the reason the NI power sharing agreement fell through was all down to Arlene Foster.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Of course it did, you only had to have ears and eyes in your head to witness it. Arlene thinks it's the 50's

To quote the great Jake O'Kane: "Haircut from the 1960s; brain from the 1690s"

(OK he didn't say it about her but it works anyway :) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Ewan Hoosarmi

The demographic least likely to be killed or injured during the troubles was Protestant Civilian.
    Tag 'arrested' onto that too,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

The problem with Foster is that she feels she has to prove herself as she is not from the usual unionist leader orange order tradition. This means attack venomously anything with a hint of green, Sinn Fein and of course Dublin. Robinson despite his past was even much more tactful in his language and understood his role of trying to reach out to the nationalist community. Foster is clueless and of course incompetent as per ash for cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Jaysus, some tripe coming out of Arlene's gob. You'd wonder what planet she inhabits, because it doesn't appear to this one. She actually believes the chief concern for Brussels is using NI as a bargaining chip to hammer the UK in the Brexit deal and for southern politicians it's just keeping the free trade open with NI! No Arlene, a lot of quite like not giving lunatics an excuse to turn a corner of the island into a warzone again actually.

As someone else said, she has nothing to offer. So her only option is to throw a few shapes and gee up her own crew. Pathetic stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

What's the point in reaching out when the person you're reaching out to has their arms folded and their back to you?

Nothing that a bit of investment in a high-speed rail link to Rosslare from Dublin and Limerick and a few high-speed high-capacity ferries on the Rosslare-Le Havre route won't fix.

Think outside box.

We’ll be beaming goods to Europe before we get high speed rail

Agricola wrote: »
    Jaysus, some tripe coming out of Arlene's gob. You'd wonder what planet she inhabits, because it doesn't appear to this one. She actually believes the chief concern for Brussels is using NI as a bargaining chip to hammer the UK in the Brexit deal and for southern politicians it's just keeping the free trade open with NI! No Arlene, a lot of quite like not giving lunatics an excuse to turn a corner of the island into a warzone again actually.

As someone else said, she has nothing to offer. So her only option is to throw a few shapes and gee up her own crew. Pathetic stuff.
    Like who? The IRA is now gone.

I don't think it will be a warzone, but you have a majority of people in NI pulled out of the EU against their will. I can't see how that will sit well.

Odhinn wrote: »

A few issues with this post, firstly the idea that Arlene Foster soured the relations between Sinn Fein and the DUP when that is nonsense, they have never liked each other. Peter Robinson replaced Ian Paisley as he was ousted from the party in what amounted to a coup. The relationship was never that good between Mcguinness and Robinson and when Arlene Foster replaced him, it wasn't that much worse

That isn't exactly the truth, the problem is the political system does not work. Parties which hate each other anyway isn't ever going to work when they are forced together after every election, the electorate can't move away from the DUP or SF. It's hardly surprising relations got worse as time went on, it was 8+ years.
    Typical Brexiteer nonsense.

They vote to Brexit and then look to others to offer a solution to the many messes they have made.

You couldn't invent this stuff.
    I don't, I support Brexit, the ones against it complain about it but won't say what they want to happen.

• Advertisement

I don't think it will be a warzone, but you have a majority of people in NI pulled out of the EU against their will. I can't see how that will sit well.
    No one is going to die because of a customs arrangement, certainly not from Irish Republicans who have a healthy skepticism of the EU at the best of times, as do I.

No one is going to die because of a customs arrangement, certainly not from Irish Republicans who have a healthy skepticism of the EU at the best of times, as do I.

You're confused. It's the majority of the North that voted remain. So the majority of the North are Irish republicans?

The principle of the Good Friday agreement is "parity of esteem". I.E both sides have to be treated with respect. The unionist view that NI is part of the UK should be respected and the nationalist view that the North should be Irish should be respected.

However this message didn't filter down to unionists like Arelene and Teresa May. To them and their kin, nationalists and Irish have no place in the North of Ireland. They're seeing it as if it was still a plantation.

Christopher Hitchens said the worst things about Northern Ireland was the fact that unionists considered Irish as foreign to Northern Ireland as Spanish is to Ireland. Unfortunately the British often pandered to this belief.

The EU is actually part of the Good Friday agreement legislation. They've actually been the ones who have honored this. The UK and Theresa May don't give a monkey's about the effect Brexit has on Northern Ireland, but the EU do and they're being fantastic in respecting the wishes of the Irish on the island. This is why this is such a shock to the UK. They never considered the views of the Irish in the North.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

The principle of this agreement is "parity of esteem". I.E both sides have to be treated with respect. The unionist view that NI is part of the UK should be respected and the nationalist view that the North should be Irish should be respected.

However this message didn't filter down to unionists like Arelene and Teresa May. To them and their kin, nationalists and Irish have no place in the North of Ireland. They're seeing it as if it was still a plantation.

Christopher Hitchens said the worst things about Northern Ireland was the fact that unionists considered Irish as foreign to Northern Ireland as Spanish is to Ireland. Unforatunately the British often pandered to this belief.

The EU is actually part of the Good Friday agreement legislation. They've actually been the ones who have honored this. The UK and Theresa May don't give a monkey's about the effect Brexit has on Northern Ireland, but the EU do and they're being fantastic in respecting the wishes of the Irish on the island. This is why this is such a shock to the UK. They never considered the views of the Irish in the North.

Sammy Wilson once referred that the notion of celebrating the Easter rising anniversary up north would be like celebrating Bastille day in France or the 4th of July. Unionism only ever wanted superiority and now it's all crashing down around them.

You're confused. It's the majority of the North that voted remain. So the majority of the North are Irish republicans?
    The dog whistle from some is claiming that violence will happen from a Republican group. Do I see any major Unionist groups kicking up a big fuss about this? Not really, maybe they should arrange meetings to talk about it and express themselves if they do. Maybe I could be convinced on some arrangements IF enough in the Unionist community make it known that is what they want. 

I think it's important when discussing Brexit here that you can make the futuristic opinion that it might not be great, some people might not like it to start with but I think it's a big leap for anyone to whisper that violence will break out. A hard border does not change the position of the GFA as far as consent of the people is concerned.

Sammy Wilson once referred that the notion of celebrating the Easter rising anniversary up north would be like celebrating Bastille day in France or the 4th of July. Unionism only ever wanted superiority and now it's all crashing down around them.

Yes I seen that. He said Ireland was a foreign country and Irish history is foreign to Ireland. These people get by by being in complete denial about the reality. "Sure what would we be speaking Irish in Ireland for"? ect ect.

Jim Allister says the same thing in this clip. The Easter rising is foreign ect ect. Then David McWilliams of all people says:

"You already celebrate something that happens in a foriegn country. Called the battle of the Boyne". Que Jim and Sammy look a bit thick.

The dog whistle from some is claiming that violence will happen from a Republican group. Do I see any major Unionist groups kicking up a big fuss about this? Not really, maybe they should arrange meetings to talk about it and express themselves if they do. Maybe I could be convinced on some arrangements IF enough in the Unionist community make it known that is what they want. 

I think it's important when discussing Brexit here that you can make the futuristic opinion that it might not be great, some people might not like it to start with but I think it's a big leap for anyone to whisper that violence will break out. A hard border does not change the position of the GFA as far as consent of the people is concerned.

No ALP, the majority do not like it hence they voted the other way. I don't think violence will break out yet. I do think people will vote to go back in the EU if things get worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I support Brexit, the ones against it complain about it but won't say what they want to happen.

:pac::pac::pac:

This says a lot.

Firstly, it's clear intelectual dishonesty. Secondly, I am sure you will stick by this point at all costs, and justify it. Ridiculous.

No ALP, the majority do not like it hence they voted the other way. I don't think violence will break out yet. I do think people will vote to go back in the EU if things get worse.
    Hilarious how some people can possibly think the passion and drive exists to such a degree over the EU to start being violent.

• Advertisement

The principle of the Good Friday agreement is "parity of esteem". I.E both sides have to be treated with respect. The unionist view that NI is part of the UK should be respected and the nationalist view that the North should be Irish should be respected.

Christopher Hitchens said the worst things about Northern Ireland was the fact that unionists considered Irish as foreign to Northern Ireland as Spanish is to Ireland. Unfortunately the British often pandered to this belief.

The concern for the GFA in Dublin and the rest of the EU will rescue the DUP from themselves.
    Dublin will use the veto and it is sinking in in London. They will go back to the drawing board soon.
    Upping the money is a sure sign that they are floundering and looking ways out. They will get more desperate as we move closer to deadline.

Pointing at heady prosperous Rule Britannia days in 20 or 30 years will not cut it anymore.

Advertisement