Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ibrahim Halawa acquited(mod warning in op-Heed it)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭yew_tree

I wonder is this lad on an FBI watch list? It's well known there are individuals being watched in this country. I love the way anyone who disagrees or doubts his story is immediately branded a racist.

People in this country don't believe Gerry Adams....are they racist too?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,954 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

P_1 wrote: »
    Impressive subtlety from Tubridy with the questions I have to say.

I thought he was a subtle as a brick. His suspicion was palpable as was ibrahims sense of needing to justify himself in response to the questions. I thought it made very uncomfortable viewing. Whatever his involvement no one can surely deny that he did not deserve imprisonment for 4 years or having trial dates set and pushed back constantly and that at 17 that was a dreadful experience. I think he was entitled to be interviewed on that point without having to justify his every action, none of them deserved what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

Would this be the same blog whose author called you out with the offer of backing up your claims of its factual inaccuracy by producing evidence and yet you still haven't?

Sure you repeatedly and predictable attack said blog, yet not once have you provided any evidence to refute its author's claims.

If you're so committed to discrediting the blog's claims, why are you so deflective when asked to back up your cynicism?

Don't worry about me, I'm just a nobody on the internet. People continue to point out inaccuracies but they get ignored. They gave up years ago.

You should be asking why real journalists in Ireland won't touch the blogger or his blog with a barge pole, not just the Halawa stories, but any story he has ever put out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

yew_tree wrote: »
    I wonder is this lad on an FBI watch list? It's well known there are individuals being watched in this country. I love the way anyone who disagrees or doubts his story is immediately branded a racist.

You'd want to be very naive to believe a word from him. I for one would be very worried if the security forces of our state aren't keeping a very close eye on the going's on at the mosque in Clonskeagh

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

McGregor told a bigger lie on the LLS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭humphrys

dav3 wrote: »
    Don't worry about me, I'm just a nobody on the internet. People continue to point out inaccuracies but they get ignored. They gave up years ago.

dav3, this is sad stuff. All you have to do is point out one fact I have wrong to discredit me. Go for it.
    You should be asking why real journalists in Ireland won't touch the blogger or his blog with a barge pole, not just the Halawa stories, but any story he has ever put out.

So the Sunday Times are not "real journalists"? They published most of my core material on the Halawas.

And did you notice RTE used my videos last night?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

YFlyer wrote: »
    McGregor told a bigger lie on the LLS.

Go start up a thread on McGregor so.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    Go start up a thread on McGregor so.

He would love that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

humphrys wrote: »
    dav3, this is sad stuff. All you have to do is point out one fact I have wrong to discredit me. Go for it.

So the Sunday Times are not "real journalists"? They published most of my core material on the Halawas.

And did you notice RTE used my videos last night?

Oy vey, you're back.

Are you going to stick around this time, or do a runner when people start asking you the difficult questions again?

Ah yes, the UK Sunday Times, your family must be very proud of you having your rant published in a british newspaper.

Why do you think real journalists in Ireland refuse to have any dealings with you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Would this be the same blog whose author called you out with the offer of backing up your claims of its factual inaccuracy by producing evidence and yet you still haven't?

Sure you repeatedly and predictable attack said blog, yet not once have you provided any evidence to refute its author's claims.

If you're so committed to discrediting the blog's claims, why are you so deflective when asked to back up your cynicism?

His blog is ****e. He should go back to what he does best. Polishing the IDF guns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

I remember going to San Cristóbal de las Casas in México when I was 18. My ancestry is from there. It was during protest by Zapatistas. I had no idea who they really were beyond hearing of the name. I was not political at all in my leanings in any form or fashion in relation to Mexican politics.

I went there with family for a wedding and while there violent protests started. While out one of the days we got caught up in it. Got talking to people while talking cover and they start explaining the whole thing. Was amazing how quickly anger built up as I couldn't understand how what they were telling me could happen ao indiscriminately. Them and their friends were connected to some group. I, along with my friend were introduced. Later that day I spoke to thousands of people. I didn't say much as I wasn't knowledgeable about the whole thing. But I did say it passionately. Just words about injustices. Part of me was over compensating to try hide the fact I wasn't really political. People do this every day of their life when dealing with topics they aren't too familiar or comfortable with. Empty vessels make the most noise. And my vessel was empty when it came to Mexican politics. The people I met basically begged me to speak because I was American.

Seeing the video of Ibrahim on that show tonight drew a lot of parallels to what happened me. Just the whole being thrown into the forefront when I basically had very little interest or knowledge. But while there I got caught up in it. Almost like going to a sport I don't care about but cheer anyway because the atmosphere was good. Caught in the moment. That's where the parallels stop however as I was never arrested and went home a few days later. Never seen any videos of it as it was at a time phones weren't around like today.

Perhaps Ibrahim is lying. But I don't doubt that what he said may have happened too. Especially if he had a father that was a supporter of what was happening. Ibrahim could have been pushed forward because he was from Ireland. It was something different to parade out. Just like me with being American.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,278 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

His blog is ****e. He should go back to what he does best. Polishing the IDF guns.

Stop with the ad hominem attacks please and address the issues

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭GerryDerpy

Feel sorry for the lad being born into that shoite. But at some stage a lad grows up and has responsibility to tell Allah to go fcuk himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

As far as I'm aware he welcomes anyone to point out anything they believe to be incorrect with him directly.

Maybe you should do so rather than throwing rabid accusations.

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    You'd want to be very naive to believe a word from him. I for one would be very worried if the security forces of our state aren't keeping a very close eye on the going's on at the mosque in Clonskeagh

I'd say not just our security services but the likes of the Americans are watching them like hawks-I don't blame them. The father in particular is a very sinister figure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

gozunda wrote: »
    As far as I'm aware he welcomes anyone to point out anything they believe to be incorrect with him directly.

Maybe you should do so rather than throwing rabid accusations.

He does like the idf. He likes them very very very much. Nothing accusatory there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Biggest lickspittle on boardz

Oy vey, you're back.

Are you going to stick around this time, or do a runner when people start asking you the difficult questions again?

Ah yes, the UK Sunday Times, your family must be very proud of you having your rant published in a british newspaper.

Why do you think real journalists in Ireland refuse to have any dealings with you?

That's anti-Semitic stereotyping.

He does like the idf. He likes them very very very much. Nothing accusatory there.

Can you please address the issues at hand. That would be great. Thanks

I remember going to San Cristóbal de las Casas in México when I was 18. My ancestry is from there. It was during protest by Zapatistas. I had no idea who they really were beyond hearing of the name. I was not political at all in my leanings in any form or fashion in relation to Mexican politics.

I went there with family for a wedding and while there violent protests started. While out one of the days we got caught up in it. Got talking to people while talking cover and they start explaining the whole thing. Was amazing how quickly anger built up as I couldn't understand how what they were telling me could happen ao indiscriminately. Them and their friends were connected to some group. I, along with my friend were introduced. Later that day I spoke to thousands of people. I didn't say much as I wasn't knowledgeable about the whole thing. But I did say it passionately. Just words about injustices. Part of me was over compensating to try hide the fact I wasn't really political. People do this every day of their life when dealing with topics they aren't too familiar or comfortable with. Empty vessels make the most noise. And my vessel was empty when it came to Mexican politics. The people I met basically begged me to speak because I was American.

Seeing the video of Ibrahim on that show tonight drew a lot of parallels to what happened me. Just the whole being thrown into the forefront when I basically had very little interest or knowledge. But while there I got caught up in it. Almost like going to a sport I don't care about but cheer anyway because the atmosphere was good. Caught in the moment. That's where the parallels stop however as I was never arrested and went home a few days later. Never seen any videos of it as it was at a time phones weren't around like today.

Perhaps Ibrahim is lying. But I don't doubt that what he said may have happened too. Especially if he had a father that was a supporter of what was happening. Ibrahim could have been pushed forward because he was from Ireland. It was something different to parade out. Just like me with being American.

Did you get "caught up in it" for several weeks and attend multiple protests as well? Incredible ...

IDF- Irish Defence Forces?
    Please post relevant links then if you are going to imply anything. I for one do not find his information "sho*te"

He is an academic of good standing. Has a PhD. Posts factual backed up with relevant information. The LLS video shown was saved by him after being removed from Social Media by relevant parties. He welcomes debate with any who wishes to discuss any of the points he has made.

Play the ball if you wish to discuss the issues at hand ...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Oy vey, you're back.

Anyone whose criticism of someone on a wholly unrelated matter based on antiBrit bile be dismissed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,772 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

First Up wrote: »
    He went every year.

And you know this how? Did he not say that his father told him to visit his family because he hadn't seen them for a long while?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,413 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Oy vey, you're back.

What’s that got to do with anything? It’s The Irish version of the Newspaper? Are you that desperate that all you can do is play the totally irrelevant “British” angle?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Why were his parents so absent from the public campaign to get him released?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

gozunda wrote: »
    Did you get "caught up in it" for several weeks and attend multiple protests as well? Incredible ...

Or go on Mexican TV stating that you were willing to fight to the last bullet??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭qm1bv4p8i92aoj

I have to say reading through this thread the IH supporters posting are not coming across well.

There has been numerous attempts of de-railing the thread by ye on here.

From the ridiculous Mexican story, to the anti Semitic/anti British carry on to givyjoe deliberately acting like he doesn't understand people's answers to his questions.

Just like we didn't fall for IH's lies last night we are not falling for your carry on now.

bajer101 wrote: »
    Looking back at the interview, the videos were the killer blow. Is it possible that the Halawa people were so obsessed with keeping questions about the father off the script, that they forgot to censor those videos? Fair play to Tubs. He wasn't buying the nonsense and exposed it as much as he was allowed.

The videos had been deleted on social media after they had been posted. Those shown were copied by others prior to deletion and for that reason would not have been available to censor by the 'Halawa people' ... I agree the videos countered some of the PR spin imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 TommyTucker2

yew_tree wrote: »

tbh, anybody who DOES believe Gerry Adams is an idiot. But Gerry doesn't get to hide behind the shield that he grew up as an oppressed minority and to ask him questions about his past is discrimination. The truth is the truth. And in that same way, Ibrahim doesn't get to hid behind the oppressed minority shield. Not matter what the colour of his skin or his religion, his story about how he ended up at the protest is not honest, and this makes anything he says difficult to trust.

It would be more racist NOT to ask the hard questions about him, just because he is from a minority. THAT would be treating him differently based on the colour of his skin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Mod note: WinnieThePoo, do not post in this thread again. This thread concerns Ibrahim Halawa only.

Buford T. Justice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Why were his parents so absent from the public campaign to get him released?

His mother's quiet sick going by the late late interview and i assume may not be fit to face public and intensive questioning??

If this tread is anything to go by,if his ould lad appeared he'd get forgotten about in the furore??

If I was him,I'd not court any press etc and just fade into normal civilian life....and seriously contemplate deleting social media for a few years until everything dies down....who needs the constant public scrutiny,he'll face??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement