Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ibrahim Halawa acquited(mod warning in op-Heed it)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

For some people, it will never be the end until he goes on TV, starts crying and begging forgiveness on his knees, spits on the Muslim Brotherhood flag, then burns it and then takes out a giant picture of Mohammed Badie and starts whacking it in the face with his shoe.

And then there would STILL be people that would not be satisfied.

Perhaps. But a lot of us would be happy if he just disappeared from the limelight and stopped spinning stories and courting publicity.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

littelady wrote:
    I thought he said it was his first time in Egypt his father wanted him to go over and see it then go from there to Ibiza.

As I understand it (and as reported in the Irish Times among others) it was "common" for them to travel to Egypt to meet their cousins.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,722 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

If the Halawa family and his supporters hoped the interview would lay to rest any questions about Ibrahim Halawa they were sadly mistaken.
    People more than ever don't believe he is being truthful about what happened, or on his actual views.

It came across like Bill Clinton saying "I did not have sexual relations with that woman". Gullible people may have believed him.

littelady wrote: »
    I thought he said it was his first time in Egypt his father wanted him to go over and see it then go from there to Ibiza.
    First Up wrote: »
    As I understand it (and as reported in the Irish Times among others) it was "common" for them to travel to Egypt to meet their cousins.

That is problems when one is not truthful, one forgets the lies already said.

RobertKK wrote:
    People more than ever don't believe he is being truthful about what happened, or on his actual views.

You've conducted a poll have you?

• Advertisement

It is clear on social media and elsewhere the interview went down badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,913 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

He went to the cinema and found himself speaking to a rally in front of thousands?
    If he was honest and came clean then people would respect him, but people hate liars like that, its not the lie itself, its the fact that he thinks everyone else is stupid enough to believe his bull****. Its about respect at the end of the day.

If he wont respect people enough to tell us the truth, warts and all, then why should people respect him back?

Liberal.ie are currently conducting a poll. Over half of the respondents say they have changed their mind for the worse after seeing him on the LLS.

Liberal.ie are currently conducting a poll. Over half of the respondents say they have changed their mind for the worse after seeing him on the LLS.

Giving that outfit's track record that is unlikely to be a balanced sample of the national mood but there ya go.

Giving that outfit's track record that is unlikely to be a balanced sample of the national mood but there ya go.

Not sure what you mean?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

For some people, it will never be the end until he goes on TV, starts crying and begging forgiveness on his knees, spits on the Muslim Brotherhood flag, then burns it and then takes out a giant picture of Mohammed Badie and starts whacking it in the face with his shoe.

And then there would STILL be people that would not be satisfied

Wow that is really so deep - nearly as deep as the last poster who used the same stupid hyperbole and like you have failed to read what was posted in this thread.
    dav3 wrote: »
    Some people appear upset that Ibrahim didn't come out wrapped in the isis flag, proceeded to burn the Irish flag in front of the audience, pulled four passports out of his back pocket…all Egyptian, beheaded Tubridy, and then laughed 'ha ha stupid Irish' at the end.

...?

Completely ridiculous inflamatory tripe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

dav3 wrote: »

He disavowed the muslim brotherhood on the most popular tv show in the country.

The end.

The end? Convicted murderer Joe o Reilly appeared on that same show appealing for information on his wife's death too... you know how that played out don't you?

His explanation of innocently going to the cinema only to find himself on stage chanting for blood may somehow ring true for you, thankfully the vast majority of those who watched his disastrous interview are not so easily fooled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Did not watch the 'show' last night but when I read he said "racist people are going to be racist" when asked about the Muslim Brotherhood, it confirmed to me that this response will be the defacto retort to any questions about his involvement with the MLB. Many of his supporters on here are reading from the same hymn sheet. They believe that the racist label will shut down all conversation and stop attempts to question the many obvious lies that he and his family told to the Irish public.

And if anyone dares to question the activities of his father or the Clonskeagh mosque, then the racist accusation will be used there too. It is also no surprise that his sisters are claiming discrimination in their lawsuit against the Irish State.

The Irish news media have really left the people of Ireland down by their partial and biased coverage of these events.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

I'll be honest, I watched it with an open mind. I supported the fact that the Irish government fought hard for an Irish person being detained for 4 years without a charge,

He just didn't come across as sincere. Maybe it was nerves, maybe he's hiding something, I dunno.

And fair play to Tubs, he nudged and pushed it as hard as he was able to, given the fact the LLS isn't exactly the hard hitting show. A lot less of the fluffy **** I was expecting.

It'll be interesting to see what plays out from here.

It's very possible that he got caught up in something, being a bit naive at 17, and it got out of control. At 17, I was well on my way into getting into the Orange Order, mostly at the behest of my father. Could I have ended up a hardline Unionist? It's possible. I didn't though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

Kivaro wrote: »
    Did not watch the 'show' last night but when I read he said "racist people are going to be racist" when asked about the Muslim Brotherhood, it confirmed to me that this response will be the defacto retort to any questions about his involvement with the MLB. Many of his supporters on here are reading from the same hymn sheet. They believe that the racist label will shut down all conversation and stop attempts to question the many obvious lies that he and his family told to the Irish public.

And if anyone dares to question the activities of his father or the Clonskeagh mosque, then the racist accusation will be used there too. It is also no surprise that his sisters are claiming discrimination in their lawsuit against the Irish State.

The Irish news media have really left the people of Ireland down by their partial and biased coverage of these events.

Don't forget their attempts at deflection by throwing in some whataboutery regarding the Catholic church, honestly, it's as though they can't put forward a cohesive argument for some reason, I wonder why that is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

gozunda wrote: »
    Wow that is really so deep - nearly as deep as the last poster who used the same stupid hyperbole and like you have failed to read what was posted in this thread.

Completely ridiculous inflamatory tripe

It's not tripe. Halawa can't win in this instance.

If he were to come out and denounce the Muslim Brotherhood, there would still be people out there who would say that it was a bull**** apology, that it was just PR and he didn't mean it and that it was all just Taqiyya.

If he were to come out and denounce the Muslim Brotherhood, there would still be people out there who would say that it was a bull**** apology, that it was just PR and he didn't mean it and that it was all just Taqiyya.
    For some people, it will never be the end until he goes on TV, starts crying and begging forgiveness on his knees, spits on the Muslim Brotherhood flag, then burns it and then takes out a giant picture of Mohammed Badie and starts whacking it in the face with his shoe.

That is hyperbole and it's tripe ....

It fails to in anyway represent what has been discussed or the concerns detailed on this thread.

If your point is that there may be a small number of individuals who would remain sceptical even after a detailed and obective interview - then that is a possibility. Though that is probably true for any similar controversial issues.

However as that has not happened it is not possible imo to make that conclusion at this point.

That results in neither 'winning' or otherwise ..

I'm sure there would be. That does not take from the fact that he went on a television show to tell his story and that he came across as very unconvincing to many people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

It's very possible that he got caught up in something, being a bit naive at 17, and it got out of control. At 17, I was well on my way into getting into the Orange Order, mostly at the behest of my father. Could I have ended up a hardline Unionist? It's possible. I didn't though.

But at 17 you knew what the Orange Order was.
    This is what Halawa said when asked about the Muslim Brotherhood: "Of course I'm not with the Muslim Brotherhood, at 17 you don't know what that is".

Halawa and his family has gotten away with so many 'falsehoods' in their telling of this holiday-gone-bad story that he expects the Irish public to believe everything he says, because up to very recently everything that the Halawas said was gospel. He outright lied when he said that he didn't know what the Muslim Brotherhood was at 17.

There are just too many lies ........... and not all of us are that gullible to believe them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Kivaro wrote: »
    But at 17 you knew what the Orange Order was.
    This is what Halawa said when asked about the Muslim Brotherhood: "Of course I'm not with the Muslim Brotherhood, at 17 you don't know what that is".

Obviously he didnt mean that literally. He meant you wouldn't take get serious politically in any way at 17.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭yabbav

He just wanted to go on a mad one to Ibiza with the lads, honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

he should have been left to rot in the Egyptian jail... This country is full of gullible idiots. Anybody with a different opinion is then seen to be racist.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭222233

I think he came across really, really well on the late late show. I suppose at 17 none of us really knew what we were up to.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭yabbav

222233 wrote: »
    I think he came across really, really well on the late late show. I suppose at 17 none of us really knew what we were up to.

I take it you are being sarcastic

• Registered Users Posts: 84,796 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I never ended up in a violent protest giving a speech while going to the cinema at 17 :p

Follow the shoe & etc ...
    For some people, it will never be the end until he goes on TV, starts crying and begging forgiveness on his knees, spits on the Muslim Brotherhood flag, then burns it and then takes out a giant picture of Mohammed Badie and starts whacking it in the face with his shoe....

I did wonder why this struck a chord with me. By any chance did you use the following for your inspiration? Is it an Egyptian thing*?

The fight broke out during a discussion about the headscarf, which Sydney imam Mostafa Rashid sees as a cultural tradition rather than a religious duty.

Egyptian lawyer Nabih al-Wahsh disagreed strongly with Rashid’s position - as the pair descended into trading personal insults, Wahsh took off his shoe and began beating the imam.

Members of the production team can be seen sprinting onto the set to break up the fight, after which Rashid swiftly collects his belongings and leaves the studio....

http://www.middleeasteye.net/news/watch-shoe-beating-fight-over-headscarf-rules-erupts-live-egypt-tv-659838454

:pac:

Edit: *Found this ....
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/iraq/3776970/Arab-culture-the-insult-of-the-shoe.html

Lucinda Creighton doesn’t believe his story.

https://twitter.com/lcreighton/status/926574051891515394

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭222233

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I never ended up in a violent protest giving a speech while going to the cinema at 17 :p

You must just not have ever been in the wrong place at the wrong time..

I think what Lucinda Creighton is saying is very apt, just had a look at her Twitter and a bit shocked by the responses it was getting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

You must just not have ever been in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Wrong place at the wrong time? He was exactly where he wanted to be, doing exactly what he was dispatched to do. Addressing the MB rallies.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement