Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ibrahim Halawa acquited(mod warning in op-Heed it)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

This post has been deleted.

It was clearly a joke. Good to see that he can still have a sense of humour after being falsely imprisoned for 4 years.I really thought he came across as a very decent, intelligent and likeable chap. Glad that he is safely back in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

Two interesting point. He confirmed that it was his father who sent him over. And you can be damn sure that his father knew exactly what was going on, so that is very telling.

The second point was his claim that two of his friends were killed. Who were these guys and how was he friends with them?

I don't think he was believable and he probably created more doubters than believers, but I wish him the best. I'm even more convinced though that his father and his branch of Islamism is toxic and that the Clonskeagh Mosque is kept under extreme surveillance. It actually probably is.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 stingray555

The corrupt Egyptian regime tried their best to connect him to MB and failed. Tried very hard for 4 years and failed.
    The young man was ACQUITTED of all charges. He has distanced himself from MB on national TV. Of course, the doubters
    will remain doubters!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

darced wrote: »
    Well that did not go how I expected at all. You would think he could have attempted to come up with a more believable version of events, hard to see many swallowing that story.

Surprised at how bad he came across. I thought he would be coached to perfection before he was let in front of the cameras.

That statement where he said if he was political he would have been there at the revolution? He would have been 14? Even Tubridy shut that down instantly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭qm1bv4p8i92aoj

givyjoe wrote: »
    Excuse me, I don't think resorting to insults is particularly called for. I don't believe he supports them, he said he didn't .. explicitly. If you are choose to believe that he was lying about :everything ', then that's your issues. Out of curiosity, did you believe ANYTHING he said?

How folks can seriously think this guy is any way someone to be concerned about is mind boggling.

Oh wind your neck in, insults.....for God's sake. You asked why are people concerned if all he is doing is lying. A stupid question when you consider people on here having being saying he is lying about supporting the MB. You know those lads that hate everything about how we live in the West.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Hope this will be the end of it and no more heard either way of this lad,

Let him on with his life,and hopefully it'll be ok for him,

he's released no more the country can do for him beyond what it should do for any other citizen

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

He is getting hammered on social media, especially by people who actually supported him but now realise something isnt right here.

Tubs did a great job, which isnt something i say that often.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

won't be long now before he's on "i'm a celebrity get me out of here"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Excuse me, I don't think resorting to insults is particularly called for. I don't believe he supports them, he said he didn't .. explicitly. If you are choose to believe that he was lying about :everything ', then that's your issues. Out of curiosity, did you believe ANYTHING he said?

How folks can seriously think this guy is any way someone to be concerned about is mind boggling.

Oh wind your neck in, insults.....for God's sake. You asked why are people concerned if all he is doing is lying. A stupid question when you consider people on here having being saying he is lying about supporting the MB. You know those lads that hate everything about how we live in the West.
    Worry about your own neck in, I find someone questioning my intelligence insulting.

The lads he said he specifically didn't support, that he didn't agree with, from a country he will never go back to.. so, no I wouldn't be concerned with him.

If your so concerned by him and his 'lies', go.add him on Facebook or Twitter.

If there is anything to worry about, I'm sure the guards will be on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Big brother I reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭regedit

To me, he didn't come across as believable! His story has so many hollow points. The protests he part took in were organised by the Muslim Brotherhood! As someone born and reared in Ireland, he should have realised (despite his age) that was not a place he should have been around...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Wasn't that pretty much the past 4 years?

:pac:

Worry about your own neck in, I find someone questioning my intelligence insulting.

The lads he said he specifically didn't support, that he didn't agree with, from a country he will never go back to.. so, no I wouldn't be concerned with him.

Even if I didn't think he was lying I would think the question you asked was stupid.

Why are people living in a Western country concerned about someone lying about their support for the MB and said person is now living in Ireland?

G'way and have a think about that for a while and you might see how someone who had no opinion on this matter might think you posted a stupid question.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Eh, what?! He was never in college. Think you've mixed something up there.

Part translation of IH video oration whilst attending th MB protest
    My name is Ebraheem Halawa and I am from Ireland. I am in the first year at University and I am here since one month ago. I came directly from Ireland to Rabaa ....

He also spoke of returning 'going back' to college tonight on the LLS ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

regedit wrote: »
    To me, he didn't come across as believable! His story has so many hollow points. The protests he part took in were organised by the Muslim Brotherhood! As someone born and reared in Ireland, he should have realised (despite his age) that was not a place he should have been around...

It was bull****.

Went on holiday.

Never knew what the Muslim Brotherhood was. Was never political.

Just a 17 year old young lad in the cinema.

All of a sudden on stage in front of thousands of people mic in hand giving it large.

There's no way some randomer walks along and is told to go on stage and give a speech to thousands of people about something he knows nothing about? That was all arranged before hand no doubt.

Do i think he's a threat? No. But he's a lying ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

maybe he was telling the crowd not to go see Star Trek into darkness coz JJ Abram's butchered it

Even if I didn't think he was lying I would think the question you asked was stupid.

Why are people living in a Western country concerned about someone lying about their support for the MB and said person is now living in Ireland?

G'way and have a think about that for a while and you might see how someone who had no opinion on this matter might think you posted a stupid question.
    Jesus wept. He specifically stated he did not support them, that he did not agree with their views but that he believed in democracy. What more do you want to him to say based on the question HE WAS ASKED. Claims could be made that he was lying elsewhere during the interview, but that was not one of them. He couldn't have made it any clearer he doesn't support them.

The protest was also attended by non MB parties.

If this chap still concerns you, you must have a very anxious existence.

Sent by his father to Egypt during a travel advisory / warning that advised against it and then attended MB organised protests over a period of several weeks ...

gozunda wrote: »

Sent by his father to Egypt during a travel advisory / warning that advised against it and then attended MB organised protests over a period of several weeks ...
    Possible that his father was manipulating him. Also possible he's not too pleased with his dad having lost four years of his life in jail. I might have missed it, but I didn't hear him mention his father at all.

Jesus wept. He specifically stated he did not support them, that he did not agree with their views but that he believed in democracy. What more do you want to him to say based on the question HE WAS ASKED. Claims could be made that he was lying elsewhere during the interview, but that was not one of them. He couldn't have made it any clearer he doesn't support them.

Ffs. You asked why are people concerned about his lying and I have outlined to you in several posts why people would be and why it was such a stupid question.

And you don't get to decide what people think he was lying about in that interview.

Like I said even if someone who walked in off the street and had no opinion on the subject would recognise that as a stupid question that you posed.

Now you are either being wilfully dense and trying to distract from the real subject matter here or you are actually just.......well you are not worth the potential card.

Either way I'm out. G'luck.

• Advertisement

Possible that his father was manipulating him. Also possible he's not too pleased with his dad having lost four years of his life in jail. I might have missed it, but I didn't hear him mention his father at all.

He did ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Part translation of IH video oration whilst atrending th MB protest

He also spoke of 'returning' to college tonight on the LLS ...

Twas Ryan mentioned going to college.
    Dunno maybe he had applied to college before he left as he had done the LC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

He did ...

What did he say about his father?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭Icsics

Nothing....as if he didn't have one

The Halawas stated they attended the MB organised protest in the video under the banner of "Egyptians Abroad For Democracy" (EAD), which is in fact a pro-Muslim Brotherhood group
    There is no such thing as democracy. Democracy is founded on principles of heresy. The ten principles of democracy constitute utter heresy: the freedom of religion, the freedom of belief - we have a punishment for apostasy ...

Source:
    - The Muslim Brotherhood's Wagdi Ghoneim, Aug 2011.

Source:

Ffs. You asked why are people concerned about his lying and I have outlined to you in several posts why people would be and why it was such a stupid question.

And you don't get to decide what people think he was lying about in that interview.

Like I said even if someone who walked in off the street and had no opinion on the subject would recognise that as a stupid question that you posed.

Now you are either being wilfully dense and trying to distract from the real subject matter here or you are actually just.......well you are not worth the potential card.

Either way I'm out. G'luck.
    And I've specifically (repeatedly now) qualified that I did not believe that he was lying about that specific point, and more than surprised folks such as yourself keep insisting that he isn't believeable on that specific point. I thought he may have been lying about the 'safer' in mosque but not much else. I've not seen anything post anything other than rambling, on how they've concluded he's lying other than just their opinion, with nothing to back it up. So, I felt if he wasn't lying about supporting MB so anything else after that is unimportant and not of concern. I don't think he's a threat to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

How did he get found not guilty if it was so clear cut ?

I don't know anything about the case as a disclaimer

He talks about going to Egypt at the behest of his father. Other posts above detail this ...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

littelady wrote: »
    I for one do not think Ibrahim was believable. Now he wants to bring his mates home to Ireland. ..great. His sisters were full of misery and all.

While it may all be finally over for Ibrahim,I get the distinct impression that his "cause" will continue to provide some of his sisters,with hours of material to crusade over.

Gotta agree with Littlelady,in that the "Misery" angle is now being shown to be Waaaay overplayed,and best left to rapidly die away.

It's also very clear now,that we are'nt dealing with a Nelson Mandela like figure here,with perhaps,our indolent Irish brand of Western Society proving more attractive to the young lad than his father might like ?

Interesting and informative interview,that has,in some ways,left Imam Halawa and the Clonskeagh Centre a bit overexposed to further questioning,should any media outlet decide to follow up on it.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

How did he get found not guilty if it was so clear cut ?

I don't know anything about the case as a disclaimer

He was acquitted. Basically they decided not to proceed with the case because they had insufficient evidence or they could not be arsed.

Being acquitted does not make a person innocent however. Its been done to death over the course of this thread already.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement