Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,759 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Its wild here in Dublin but nothing that I haven't seen before.

Consistent 80kph winds with 120kph gusts? yeah I dont believe you

https://twitter.com/DublinBayBuoy/status/919912116315938816

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Strong Life in Dublin

Lissavane wrote: »
    JOe Duffy just reported that a man has been killed in a chainsaw accident in Tipperary while clearing a felled tree. RIP.

Jesus why would he use a chainsaw in a hurricane

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭deandean

I took a spin up to Howth summit (as you do in the middle of a storm). It it was wild! In the few minutes I was there, I recorded a peak wind speed of 47.8 knots which is 86 km/h. It was almost impossible to stand.
    430794.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

fjon wrote: »
    Power gone in parts of Bray.
    Still ok where I am in Bray but Virgin broadband has been down for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

tralee has gotten nothing to be honest, calmed down to a "normal windy" day now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

I this lightning or light effects,take at dublin airport today pulled from twitter https://twitter.com/SeanHassett/status/919916752863154176

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

It would be appreciated if someone could confirm whether it's true that it's ''swinging round to the SW''
    No that's the wind direction, not the location.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Still gusty in around galway, how i still have internet and power i dont know. Ive the back up on the go anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 15,855 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

It would be appreciated if someone could confirm whether it's true that it's ''swinging round to the SW'' esp Clare/Limerick as there are people considering going to work this afternoon. It has been less than severe up to now.

The technical page is broken

The eye is well past & the wind has changed to the WSW but the storm is not over. We may still get severe gusts

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Lissavane

ice.cube wrote: »
    People after jumping off the diving board here in Salthill in the last 15 minutes. Very rough here atm.
    Let them. They have no respect for their lives. BUT no attempt should be made to rescue these eejits if they get in trouble. I understand the Gardai were there and advised them to go home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,563 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Registered Users Posts: 28,441 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

ice.cube wrote: »
    People after jumping off the diving board here in Salthill in the last 15 minutes. Very rough here atm.

They should be arrested and fined.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

I heard power is out in parts of Crumlin in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,640 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Windy in D20 but no rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭Trebor176

Very windy now in Clondalkin. The lid off our next door neighbour's meter has just blown off. It's on the side wall between the two houses.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

Winds eased down here in Kerry I think the worst is over for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Den Creed

Just regained internet access (even if its only 3G) winds much calmer now and I'm 200 metres above sea level in east Kerry, does anyone know when it might be safe to go outside?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

I've 3 empty bins that usually go for a hop in some breezy weather. Haven't budged at all here in Malahide. Meant to take them into the garage but haven't needed to yet. For the parts of Dublin i've been in today don't see what the red warning is about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

Bambi wrote: »
    Power going in Dublin?

I've stuck the dinner now on just in case...

How would we know if the power will go or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,900 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    My local GAA just lost its roof ,(Enniscorthy co Wexford).

David's town?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Bright and sunny but windy in D8. Can see Phoenix Park so will be interesting to watch the trees there if/when this picks up a bit more

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Some very strong gusts again now, forum is a bit fecked, random posts, double posts.....missing posts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Very stormy in Galway city strong sustained winds

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Vary strong gusts coming more frequent in Dublin. Fecking feel it in the floor upstairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

It would be appreciated if someone could confirm whether it's true that it's ''swinging round to the SW'' esp Clare/Limerick as there are people considering going to work this afternoon. It has been less than severe up to now.

The technical page is broken

The storm itself is continuing on it's NE past, however I believe once the centre passes over, areas can expect that the wind direction will change rather rapidly to a South-westerly (remember that wind direction is always indicated by where the wind is coming from)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

When are we expecting it to peak in Dublin?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭Confucius say

does anyone know when winds are supposed to peak in Dublin, or have they already?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Seems to really depend where you are in Dublin.
    In our estate, it's fairly sheltered, so no damage or bad gusts to report.
    Literally down the road has fallen trees etc...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Lost some roof tiles in Clondalkin :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

I think the eye might be passing west Galway now. It's weirdly silent. Starting to get a bit of movement in the treetops again now, but they were dead still for about fifteen minutes.

Advertisement