Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭C__MC

Stheno wrote: »
    Pretty mild here in swords

Can you confirm if it's pretty mild in swords

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Varadker just called it a National Emergency

https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/1016/912621-ophelia/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Same here in North Kerry,I think we got off light enough compared to parts of South Kerry and Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Jesus why would he use a chainsaw in a hurricane

Maybe to clear the road for emergency services to get to an accident scene? Bit unfair to judge until facts are established.

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

jimmynokia wrote: »
    I this lightning or light effects,take at dublin airport today pulled from twitter https://twitter.com/SeanHassett/status/919916752863154176

Thought it looked like lightening hitting the tail. Pilot was on fire anyway jayzus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭rustledjimmies

Just realised I can see a crane from my house. Should be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Just saw footage of the divers in Salthill. That's some pretty stupid stuff they're doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Jesus someone get Gerry a red bull :D

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭certifiedcrepe

Man dead in tipp after trying to clear a fallen tree

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Canonfan

From RTE:

A man in his early 30s has died while in the course of clearing a fallen tree in Co Tipperary.

It is the second death linked to storm Ophelia, after a woman in her 50s died when a tree fell on the car she was driving in Co Waterford this morning.

The man sustained the fatal injury while clearing a fallen tree at Ballybrado, Cahir at about 12.30pm.

His body has been removed to Clonmel Hospital.

RIP, and stay indoor people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭appledrop

I know some parts of the country have been really badly hit but as I expected red warning for Dublin way off. Yes bit stormy here but no way did everything need to close down. Birds still feeding at seed feeder + bins haven't moved an inch. I'm near Malahide like other poster. We have had much worse coastly storms than this in North County Dublin when we just had to get on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭by the seaside

Picking up in Skerries. Still a few people driving up and down the coast road to Balbriggan.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,356 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

is boards broke?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

No, lens and light flaring from landing lights

• Registered Users Posts: 48,186 ✭✭✭✭km79

Last hour has been mental in east Galway
    Hope it calms soon

• Registered Users Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭__..__

Nothing much in Dublin at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,443 ✭✭✭wonga77

Considering the storm passed right over our heads (SW Kerry), we got nothing really. Perhaps because im right on the coast and used to rough weather but we had much worse winds about 2-3 weeks ago during the night, I actually thought the roof was going to be damaged that time.
    Power was out for about 3 hours but fair play to the ESB, they have it up and running again
    At the moment it's just a normal breezy day, I'm still expecting some sort of a kick tonight but for the most part it was just another winters day around here, luckily we seem to have missed the worst part of it

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    is boards broke?

Yeah, they've been losing money for years

• Registered Users Posts: 23,607 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

https://www.facebook.com/clarenbridgegardencentre/videos/1640305505991062/

Guy swimming in Blackrock, Galway just now. I swim here daily and this behavour is unbelievably dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭sean555

Salthill a few minutes ago

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭hank scorpio89

Honest to god I'm in Dublin 5 and it's sunny with some high winds has it just not hit yet ???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Wind turned to SW in Galway now, very strong gusts, last quite long, one gust moved me and I'm 200lbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,585 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

__..__ wrote: »
    Nothing much in Dublin at all.

In Dublin 7 here and while thankfully there has been no damage, this is by far the most violent winds I've heard in the 4 years I've lived in this part of the city

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭Boater123

Vizzy wrote: »
    Apparently he was cutting a tree that was in danger of falling on his house when a second tree/branch feel on him.

I assumed as much or was at least prepared to give the poor guy the benefit of doubt, that he took a risk for what he believed was a damn good reason.

Some people on here are too quick to jump to conclusions!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Strongest gusts to date recorded by Met Eireann are:

191km/h at Fastnet Rock (6.5km SW of Cape Clear Co. Cork, at a height of 200ft)
    156km/h at Roches Point
    135km/h at Sherkin Island (before the weather station lost power)
    126km/h at Cork Airport (before a loss of power)
    122km/h at Shannon Airport

Rainfall of 17mm at Valentia, including 9mm in one hour, 17mm at Mace Head, including 8mm in the past hour.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/hurricane-ophelia-two-dead-and-230-000-without-power-as-monster-storm-hits-1.3257434

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

jimmynokia wrote: »
    I this lightning or light effects,take at dublin airport today pulled from twitter https://twitter.com/SeanHassett/status/919916752863154176

Most people wait inside the terminal.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭__..__

Now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    is boards broke?

Yip....

Advertisement