Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options
1208209210211212214»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Because he's retired and nothing else to do :)

Mod Note : irishrover99 this is an unacceptable comment. Read the forum charter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

fraxinus1 wrote: »
    OK so let's issue orange and red alerts every time we get normal autumn and winter gales. Seriously what did we all do before storms were named or colour coded alerts were issued? We hunkered down and showed a bit of common sense without the hysterics. I am retired but I used to work in Lifford. In 38 years at my job I never missed a day due to weather. I drove through violent winds, snowfalls and rainstorms. My children went to school and even if slaters were coming off the roof they stayed there until 3pm.

Yes Cork got a bad doing form Ophelia but 90% of the country didn't. Today it's raining heavy in some parts... it's autumn. It happens very year.

Since when does a normal Autumn day cut out power for over 350000 homes ALL over the country? I don't think the chaps killed by falling trees were near the coast either!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

anna080 wrote: »
    All you guys without power- how did you manage? Candles etc? What did you do for food? I genuinely couldn't imagine being out of power for more than a few hours

After Darwin a few years back had no power for nearly 10 days and no water for another day.

Candles, open fire, camping stove to boil water soups etc, board games, books, early nights. Then we got a jenny so could run central heating, TV and some lights, recharge torches etc. Local shop in village which did have power was great was charging phones and powerbanks for people..

Lack of mains water was harder but a good neighbour with a well and backup generator for the farm and house used to top up and milk tank with water and do a run of all the houses to fill barrels. We used a hand pump to put it up the tank in the attic keep it topped off so we had water everywhere except cold water tap at kitchen sink..

Hardly hardship..

Kids enjoyed the novelty but was glad to see power coming back..

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭SkepticQuark

OK so let's issue orange and red alerts every time we get normal autumn and winter gales. Seriously what did we all do before storms were named or colour coded alerts were issued? We hunkered down and showed a bit of common sense without the hysterics. I am retired but I used to work in Lifford. In 38 years at my job I never missed a day due to weather. I drove through violent winds, snowfalls and rainstorms. My children went to school and even if slaters were coming off the roof they stayed there until 3pm.

Yes Cork got a bad doing form Ophelia but 90% of the country didn't. Today it's raining heavy in some parts... it's autumn. It happens very year.

A cat 3 hurricane forms in the area Ophelia did every year? Right okay, guess you are the expert then.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

MOD NOTE : fraxinus1 you have been warned to cease from trolling/ goading posts that serve only to aggravate other users. . You have received an infraction for continuously derailing threads. Read the forum charter before making any more posts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Have to say I think the handling of this went very well, I live in Dublin and I was looking out the window thinking its not quite as bad as I expected, but the next morning I was talking to a neighbour and her shed roof was in her front garden. Obviously there were some places that it would have been fine to carry on as normal but it wouldnt have been practical to call those in advance. Regards the extra day for the schools again almost all would have been fine to open but to me it makes sense to have a day to check everything out in the building rather than risk having kids arrive at 9 to be told to go home, then parents would have been up in arms about childminding arrangements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

For all the "the country overreacted".....I'm from same area as one of those killed. He left behind a wife and 2 kids....one of them 4 weeks old. I'm not debating he was right or wrong to be out in that weather but had he stayed at home he'd obviously still be here.

Had we not handled it as we did, the death toll would have been much worse, I'm certain of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Bishopsback

Unfortunate to hear that two more deaths have taken place since , with two farmers getting killed carrying out roof repairs.
    I know this can't be directly attributed to the storm, but people need to be careful in all circumstances, please get professional help for dangerous clean up work!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Storm Ophelia was special in a not so good way. While most of us got off unscathed it impacted a lot of people. While I had no damage worth talking about a mile up the road was blocked with fallen trees or branches. A house lost a few slates not too far away from me. Nearly 400,000 households and businesses including me lost power during the storm. I was lucky to get mine back before teatime. There were people without power for days after it. There could be a few thousand people without as I write this post today.

Latest map from the ESB, appears to show just a few faults now.
    https://www.esb.ie/esb-networks/powercheck/
    Maybe just a couple of hundred properties left to reconnect, really good work considering that Monday evening it was in the region of 400,000 without power.

• Advertisement
Advertisement