Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I've 3 empty bins that usually go for a hop in some breezy weather. Haven't budged at all here in Malahide. Meant to take them into the garage but haven't needed to yet. For the parts of Dublin i've been in today don't see what the red warning is about.

Strange logic, how would you know when to take them in? Only when they blow away?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

spookwoman wrote: »
    2nd death reported this time from Cahir man clearing fallen tree with a chainsaw
    And why did it have to be cleared to-day?

Believe me, I have nothing but the deepest sympathy for that man's family, but this is exactly the type of tragedy which the "pfft, few bits of wind, fuss about nothing!!" attitude encourages.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Power just gone in D14. Butterfield area. Long night ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

We are wide open in Dublin, but no damage. Park has no trees down

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Keedowah wrote: »

Was that a bolt of lightening just as the plane landed? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

There is a permanent rainbow over Dublin. Look outside your windows to the North.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,585 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Sadly another death confirmed in Cahir, Co Tipp.

The tragedy of both these deaths is that they would not have happened had the victims remained inside as the advice suggested. People never think that it will happen to them.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Pretty mild here in swords

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,607 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Watching TV3. Jaysus looks rough in Galway!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

For any region use this.
    For example Dublin - https://www.windy.com/53.326/-6.312?gust,53.006,-6.273,9,m:e71afYD

You drag the map, zoom in and double click you area. It will tell you hour by hour roughly what it will be.

Killarney:
    https://www.windy.com/52.088/-9.514?gust,51.916,-8.734,9,m:e5XafTj

Galway:
    https://www.windy.com/53.292/-9.007?gust,53.288,-9.001,15,m:e7YafT8

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭redarmy

tv3

• Registered Users Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Wind has really picked up in Leixlip in the last 20 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,355 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

MJohnston wrote: »
    Sadly another death confirmed in Cahir, Co Tipp.

The tragedy of both these deaths is that they would not have happened had the victims remained inside as the advice suggested. People never think that it will happen to them.

The Irish Times says he was fatally injured with a chain saw while clearing a fallen tree

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

murpho999 wrote: »
    Strange logic, how would you know when to take them in? Only when they blow away?
    As they say in amature radio

"if your mast survived the storm, it could have been taller"

• Registered Users Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Jesus why would he use a chainsaw in a hurricane

Because the Irish "shur it'll be grand" attitude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

E2_E1_F69_A_15_EA_4_E8_D_85_CB_F5108_C8065_C3.jpg

0_DA2899_A_A12_B_4632_8_B97_C85_D982876_FA.jpg

Trees down in Midleton, Co. Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

My boss texted me to come to do some easy stuff at 3pm that even monkey can do.

I told him no.

He is there anyway :)

If a monkey can do it, he can.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

The wind where I am in Dublin seems to be blowing from the North to the South. I'm judging by the orientation of the back garden. Afraid to look out the front, there are old trees every few metres on the verges

Is that right about the wind direction. I'm just curious because I though the wind would be coming from the South, but maybe it's circular now!

It would be travelling from the south in circles alright so it basically mini cyclones of gust. Might appear to be west/east at times too!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Stheno wrote: »

Thats expected to change Id say;
    https://www.windy.com/53.471/-6.218?gust,53.433,-6.227,12,m:e8iafYN

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

tralee has gotten nothing to be honest, calmed down to a "normal windy" day now
    Yes, we've been very lucky so far. Not so sure how badly we'll be effected by the SW wind, though. We'll find out soon enough. I certainly won't be taking any chances.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Peaked here in Waterford City around 12.30. Many gusts above 100km/h with a Max of 109km/h. Has eased of somewhat with strong gusts less frequent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭Confucius say

Definitely some leaves have come off some of the trees on my street in D5

• Registered Users Posts: 5,292 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Why is there STILL idiots insisting on walking on the promenade in Salthill? What is wrong with these people?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

I'm convinced some people here wouldn't be happy unless the roof blew off their own house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

E2_E1_F69_A_15_EA_4_E8_D_85_CB_F5108_C8065_C3.jpg

0_DA2899_A_A12_B_4632_8_B97_C85_D982876_FA.jpg

Trees down in Midleton, Co. Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 23,607 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Believe me, I have nothing but the deepest sympathy for that man's family, but this is exactly the type of tragedy which the "pfft, few bits of wind, fuss about nothing!!" attitude encourages.

Very sad :(

In the local area groups on FB, several people have been talking about going out for fallen trees for firewood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Apparently he was cutting a tree that was in danger of falling on his house when a second tree/branch feel on him.

Advertisement