Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,708 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

__..__ wrote: »
    Nothing much in Dublin at all.

Where are ya? Sounds like my apartment in D1 is going to blow away :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,339 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Power gone in parts of Maynooth.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

appledrop wrote: »
    I know some parts of the country have been really badly hit but as I expected red warning for Dublin way off. Yes bit stormy here but no way did everything need to close down. Birds still feeding at seed feeder + bins haven't moved an inch. I'm near Malahide like other poster. We have had much worse coastly storms than this in North County Dublin when we just had to get on with it.

Trees have fallen in very built up areas, which if there was pedestrian or vehicle traffic could easily have killed someone.

Warning was absolutely spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

Power and my main fiber connection went down in portlaoise around 14:00. Failed over to backup internet and power

15:18:
    JQEGwlI.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

So far so good in Wicklow, nothing major and dont think its going to get any worse here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Roof half blown off Scoil Mhuire School in Wexford Town from what I hear as well.

Is that the one in Coolcots I posted about?

Roof gone off Davidstown GAA club now.One by one the roads around Enniscorthy are becoming blocked by fallen trees.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Had very strong gusts here in kildare around lunch time and a lot of trees down...some strong wind since but starting to ease now.
    So is that all we can expect now or will it continue or pick up again after a lull...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

In Dublin 15. Sun is shining. A bit blustery alright but listening to the news beside me here it feels like I'm in a different country!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Same here in North Kerry,I think we got off light enough compared to parts of South Kerry and Cork
    Lets keep our fingers crossed. It's not over yet. Am very relieved with how it's panned out here so far. Can't really fathom it if I'm honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

appledrop wrote: »
    I know some parts of the country have been really badly hit but as I expected red warning for Dublin way off. Yes bit stormy here but no way did everything need to close down. Birds still feeding at seed feeder + bins haven't moved an inch. I'm near Malahide like other poster. We have had much worse coastly storms than this in North County Dublin when we just had to get on with it.
    __..__ wrote: »
    Nothing much in Dublin at all.

It's fairly lively here in Ranelagh, and it still seems to be picking up intensity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Is that the worst of it for Dublin so? Just trying get bit of info here cause seems be different views everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,913 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Honest to god I'm in Dublin 5 and it's sunny with some high winds has it just not hit yet ???

It being sunny is not an indicator of the strength of the wind, which whether you realise it or not are some of the strongest that have hit the country in several decades.

And yes that includes dublin

https://twitter.com/DublinBayBuoy/status/919926515105697792

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Very nasty conditions in west Dublin now

• Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

sryanbruen wrote: »
    8IFigdp.jpg

Dairygold? Feck off with that sh, ye need real butter for a crisp sambo.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Colibri

Cork round 2.. are we getting one?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Almost flat calm just outside Westport. We've had persistent rain for the past several hours. It was blowing from the east, which is unusual for here, but it's falling straight down now. Expecting strong westerlies in the next hour or two.

Pressure still falling according to my half-built homemade weather station.

430801.png

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭star gazer

WEB_radar5_201710161500.png

https://twitter.com/MetEireann/status/919930946467647489
    "a swathe of severe south west wind already over parts of Clare will propogate northwards over Connacht and West Midlands over the next couple of hours"

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

North Dublin..local dozy Neighbors pulling a trampoline into the close. Not quite sure how it got out there without actually going OVER a house

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Centre Park rd, Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Looks like the intensity of the storm has dropped, still high winds but not as extreme as earlier

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭crisco10

dudara wrote: »
    It's fairly lively here in Ranelagh, and it still seems to be picking up intensity.

Pretty sure its a good thing no one was commuting on Leeson st!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

Is that it for Cork and the South Coast or is there a round 2 coming?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

I'm genuinely surprised about some of the posters here - just because it's calm and sheltered where you are doesn't mean it's the same for everybody. You could find the met forum on boards.ie yet couldn't find actual weather info from the stations? The internet is full of pictures of damage of various degree, how is this not a red warning for Dublin? The ignorance of some people knows no limits..

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Why is there STILL idiots insisting on walking on the promenade in Salthill? What is wrong with these people?

Maybe they are Dutch or German
    they love to go out on the beach with stormy weather like me
    Just came inn with the dogs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

A few trees down in navan but otherwise its really pretty tame

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

1xp34x

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

yop wrote: »

Dublin has gotten off likely, it was always a bit on/off for Dublin compared to what the South East and South got hammered by.

We were lucky in Dublin but the warning was necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,926 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Links and images not opening for me. Page numbers falling down and repeating, going to 404 and etc.

I am a wee bit disappointed that Boards is falling down like this today. I would have thought they might have organised an extra bit of bandwith or whatever the feck is needed for a day of mighty traffic on the site.

Very bad organisation.

All other sites motoring ahead fine. Just had to have a rant.

The weather fora here are the best in the business, but not when they are not working properly!

Rant over. And breathe.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

dudara wrote: »

I'm around the corner and it's as blue as can be with a DOUBLE RAINBOW

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭Darwin

Seems to have passed now (West Laois), no power since 1.30pm, lots of local roads closed because of downed trees.

Advertisement