Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Looking that way, but it would not surprise me if there was a bit of a kick as that low moves north of our region, but at this stage, looking like the worst will be soon over for us.

Increase in the sustained winds now, driving rain as well. Glad I'm not out driving as I normally would be at this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

All calm and dry here in cork with patches of sunshine.

Apparently this is because we're currently in the eye of the storm, people have a false sense of security, loads on my snapchat now out and about saying 'what was the big deal' but round 2 is about to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Pretty bad in Galway City now, and expected to be for the next few hours. Surprised that electricity isn't gone yet where I am. A few of my numpty student neighbours have just went out for a walk. The mind boggles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

It would be ridiculous for schools to be closed tomorrow unless the schools themselves are damaged.

Starting to see some heavy gusts in Galway now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,108 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

WEB_Analysis.png?1439

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Colibri

WhiteRoses wrote: »

Apparently this is because we're currently in the eye of the storm, people have a false sense of security, loads on my snapchat now out and about saying 'what was the big deal' but round 2 is about to start.

I can't see it in the wind.com forecast - it just looks like the wind moves away from Cork.. confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭spookwoman

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Maynooth power gone and got a text that naas is gone as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Samaris wrote: »
    Getting a swinging pressure headache.

I've had nasty little one since about 9 this morning; I though the 'sudden pressure change can trigger headaches' - thing was just a myth, but no, it is a real thing that happens.

If it's any help, a cup of coffee gets rid of mine (for a while) - apparently the caffeine dilates blood vessels and reduces the pressure in your head.

WhiteRoses wrote: »

The eye is over Westport

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Do we have an ETA on when this is going to start easing off in the south-east please guys?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,275 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Yeah no call yet it seems from looking into it.

The clean up nationwide tomorrow will be major though. Along with power outages I'd say a lot of places will be closed tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

mdwexford wrote: »
    All schools colleges and crèche to stay closed tomorrow. Dept of education confirms.

Link? I see nothing on education.ie to suggest this? Thanks!

mdwexford wrote: »
    All schools colleges and crèche to stay closed tomorrow. Dept of education confirms.

Nothing about this in the press release section of their website?

https://www.education.ie/en/Press-Events/Press-Releases/2017-Press-Releases/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭Sono

Tree down at the front of our house, based in D13.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,321 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Still fine in Dublin. Just a blustery afternoon. Seems like the east coast is escaping anyy major winds.

?

fairly sustained winds where we are

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭glack

It would be ridiculous for schools to be closed tomorrow unless the schools themselves are damaged.

Starting to see some heavy gusts in Galway now.

But when do schools check for that damage????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

eigrod wrote: »
    Met Eireann have played a blinder...since at least Thursday last.

Agreed and I think Joanna has fronted up very well after a shaky start.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

A fair portion of the roof of school in Coolcots Wexford blown off.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,474 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Dept of Education are currently discussion the option for the schools tomorrow. Will release an update later his afternoon.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

I don't like how my bay window rattles in a normal storm, never mind this.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,997 ✭✭✭✭flazio

YeaYeaSure wrote: »
    In West Limerick has certainly calmed down the last half hour. No major damage around here and no loss of power thankfully. Nothing like the force of Darwin in this area thankfully.

It might not be over yet, keep tuned to local media.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

People are saying schools closed tomorrow because yesterday's article is being shared and everyone is presuming it's a new one.

They may still be closed tomorrow to allow schools to assess the damage without children being there!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

McGrath5 wrote: »
    Just seen a few tiles blow of a neighbors house in Rathfarnham.

Just heard that painful slow rattle as I could hear one of my tiles sliding down in Dundrum. Won't be tempted to check it ! Gusts are getting more violent here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Roof gone off Lidl in Clonmel . Road blocked!

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Candamir

Latest from Richard Bruton (reported in independent 1 hr ago) is 'decision hasn't been made yet'. I'm going to go with him and not my neighbour or a teachers WhatsApp group.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/irish-news/hurricane-ophelia/no-decision-yet-on-whether-schools-and-institutions-will-open-tomorrow-bruton-36231736.html

• Registered Users Posts: 16,509 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Starting to get very wild here near Galway city. I see some people outside, absolute height of stupidity, sure you're not going to get blown away, but you could easily have a roof tile embedded into the side of your head.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

Pretty bad in Galway City now, and expected to be for the next few hours. Surprised that electricity isn't gone yet where I am. A few of my numpty student neighbours have just went out for a walk. The mind boggles.

Also in Galway city. My partner heard some numpty students chatting about what great craic it would be to see stuff flying around whilst he was on the way to the local shop this morning. The neighbours fence is about to take flight, that should entertain the imbeciles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

stevek93 wrote: »
    Lights flickering here greater Dublin area.

Can you specify? Longford? Meath? Offaly??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Wind is picking up now in Donegal

Advertisement