Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Power gone in parts of Westmeath. Time to open up the jar of pickled gherkins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Still fine in Dublin. Just a blustery afternoon. Seems like the east coast is escaping anyy major winds.

I've seen a few people claim this. It's absolutely wild in my part of Dublin, and if you look at the Dublin Fire Brigade map you'll see trees down and issues with roofs all over the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,907 ✭✭✭squonk

Seems to have calmed here in Limerick city centre now. I'd prefer to be out in the country for some decent perspective but the large gusts have died down at my position. that could of course be due to shelter from buildings but I'm definitely getting a feeling now that the worst has passed here. I was expecting more from the south flank of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,616 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Where is this?

wrong pic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Lifted for a bit in Malahide but so far nothing too serious.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

secman wrote: »
    Maybe to assess if school are safe for children to attend

Aragh stop. They don't need another day off.

They never assessed if the Christian Brothers schools were safe for children! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Colibri wrote: »
    I can't see it in the wind.com forecast - it just looks like the wind moves away from Cork.. confused.

Does it look like it's finished with cork so?
    I'm going by a cork city safety fb page, been accurate so far but could be wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,872 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Brighter patches over the West of Galway Bay. Wind now WSW

• Registered Users Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Amazingly and touching wood and everything else, where I am here in West Offaly we still have our electricity working.We had three or found 30sec approx cuts between 12 and 1 30pm,but full power since.Winds very very strong now,probably at it's peak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭pad199207

In Naas here now and its ferocious. Lost a tree and now lost a part of my fence

• Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Roofs blown off several shops in Clonmel (a shop on O'Connell Street, and The Crescent from what I've seen), and the roof of the Lidl is currently all over the car park. There were unconfirmed reports of deaths in Tipperary on TippFM. Electricity gone (ESB spokeswoman on TippFM said it could be days before it's restored). Gusts don't seem as bad now as they were about an hour ago.

Really? Lets hope not. Awful if true.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Dublin 5 power is now gone

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Still fine in Dublin. Just a blustery afternoon. Seems like the east coast is escaping anyy major winds.

You must be in a different Dublin to me. There is trees down all over and power outages in Lucan, Clondalkin, Drimnagh, Rahtfarnham, Churchtown ect ect.

It hasn't reached it's peak for Dublin yet

• Registered Users Posts: 24,328 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Roches Point - it says so on the image

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭emo72

I'm in lucan and it's wild. A branch came off a tree and nearly hit my wife. Dark skies are pushing in from the south West, it's just about to go very dark. This could be the front of it. My bath is making a very strange gurgling sound. So it begins.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,128 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

You must be in a different Dublin to me. There is trees down all over and power outages in Lucan, Clondalkin, Drimnagh, Rahtfarnham, Churchtown ect ect.

Tree down in Old Bawn Tallght too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Made it home from North Dublin to just north of Dundalk about an hour ago. Wind is already crazy here and looking at Ventusky we're not due the worst of it till around 4pm.

Someone posted a live feed of what looked like a surge on a coast on netweather but couldn't tell where it was.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Where is this?

DMQXRbIWkAEPBb_.jpg

It was tweeted by ME from their Rochestown station I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

Roof half blown off Scoil Mhuire School in Wexford Town from what I hear as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Roches Point, this morning - there's a pair to that photo where there's two trees in that red circle.

About 60km west of Galway is doing okay. WIndy alright, wouldn't want to be outside, but not alarming. Mind you, it was the second part that was due to be the worst hereish.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭LastLagoon

Turns out the windurfers(not kite surfers) who everyone was getting on their high horse about earlier were fine and never in trouble.some knitter paniced and called for emergency services
    Ridiculous the outrage also about people swimming in Dublin and Galway HOURS before storm was due to hit. Happy pear twins have had to apologize for going for a swim this morning.Guess people need their outrage fix. Although I would imagine a few of the people at it would be nowhere to be seen near the water on a normal October day just looking for social media kudos

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Power gone in parts of Westmeath. Time to open up the jar of pickled gherkins.

Friends in Drumraney and Walderstown in Co. Westmeath have lost power.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭torres9kop

Power gone in Ballybrack/Killiney

lawred2 wrote: »
    Roches Point - it says so on the image

Wasn't meant to post that. Boards is messed up for me at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Some very strong gusts around Stocking Lane, Rathfarnham. It felt like the windows where going to blow in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

They are probably on the Northside, wind is afraid to go over there...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

lots of rumours about round 2 coming for cork. anyone got any solid info on that?

Advertisement