Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin North Quays - now double bus lane

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Test trams running at full tilt today. Anyone seen the effect around OCB?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,584 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Ben D Bus wrote: »
    Test trams running at full tilt today. Anyone seen the effect around OCB?

I don't think that they're at peak frequency or anywhere near it yet?

There are a limited number of trams out there all day to start with.

LXFlyer wrote: »
    I don't think that they're at peak frequency or anywhere near it yet?

There are a limited number of trams out there all day to start with.

Shouldn't have said full tilt but they were passing me at a frequency of about 5-10 minutes around lunchtime and again shortly after 4pm. Maybe I just happened to be out and about at the right time.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Phil.x wrote: »
    On the radio (Newstalk) this morning about the increase in traffic in and around the stoneybatter area due to bus lanes on the quays.

Apparently it's made the area more dangerous for cyclists and pedestrians.

Sounds like it was the guy talking about the planned Liffey Cycle Route -- that's not built yet and not really covered by this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,297 ✭✭✭cgcsb

The stoneybatter claims are probably due to the coming battle over the Liffey cycle route.

The junction of Brunswick st/manor st/ arbour hill needs to a rethink and simplification anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

It looks like these changes have proven to be a big success for public transport users.

Get the bus along Dublin's quays? Trips now take half the time they used to
    THE NATIONAL TRANSPORT Authority (NTA) has claimed that changes to traffic flows in Dublin city have made bus transport 45% quicker on the quays.

The NTA said it has been comparing bus journeys in the first full week of September this year with the same period last year and said there have been “substantial reductions” in bus journey times along the north and south quays.

It won't come as a surprise for any of us who use Dublin Bus services which rely on the quays.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,219 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

It's been a magnificent change.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Drove along north quays for first time on Sunday after completing the Great Dublin Bike Ride. Felt like a dope for actually obeying the rules and staying in the car only lane - absolutely dozens of cars driving up the middle bus lane between Capel Street and O'Connell bridge.
    The Garda were great marshalling the Bike Ride but there really needs to be enforcement of this new lane, even on Sundays, was very annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,027 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Drove along north quays for first time on Sunday after completing the Great Dublin Bike Ride. Felt like a dope for actually obeying the rules and staying in the car only lane - absolutely dozens of cars driving up the middle bus lane between Capel Street and O'Connell bridge.
    The Garda were great marshalling the Bike Ride but there really needs to be enforcement of this new lane, even on Sundays, was very annoying.

Is the bus lane definitely in place on a Sunday? Loads of them around the place are Mon-Sat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

FYI, it's okay to drive in it on Sundays up to the Ha'penny Bridge. Only the section between the Ha'Penny Bridge and OCB is 24 hours, everything else is 7 to 7, Monday to Saturday.

• Advertisement

NuMarvel wrote: »
    FYI, it's okay to drive in it on Sundays up to the Ha'penny Bridge. Only the section between the Ha'Penny Bridge and OCB is 24 hours, everything else is 7 to 7, Monday to Saturday.

Which is crazy - people aren't going to suddenly move into the outside lane at that point.

They should be 24/7 the entire length of the Quays.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Just got on a 25B (9pm, Tuesday) at Wellington Quay and it's completely full. Standing room only.

Just an update from those of you out there who like this stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

4pm on George's Quay/Burgh Quay was insane. It took a bus 5 cycles of lights to get from Ulster Bank to the other side of the lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,220 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Just got on a 25B (9pm, Tuesday) at Wellington Quay and it's completely full. Standing room only.

Just an update from those of you out there who like this stuff.

Adamastown to Oconnell St? you could cycle that distance in about 1/2 hour/40 minutes. Just sayin.

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Adamastown to Oconnell St? you could cycle that distance in about 1/2 hour/40 minutes. Just sayin.

In the past year I've lived ~8km from my office and about ~20km from my office and in both cases I think cycling has been the fastest way for me to get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭alentejo

It is a shocking indictment of Dublin’s Public Transport system and general political apathy that cycling anywhere within the M50 ring is quicker than driving and any kind of public transport.

alentejo wrote: »
    It is a shocking indictment of Dublin’s Public Transport system and general political apathy that cycling anywhere within the M50 ring is quicker than driving and any kind of public transport.

The ~20km cycle mentioned above starts well outside the M50. Still quicker on the bike than any of my public transport options.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I had to bring my car into college last night and drove in the quays at 5.15pm. It was like driving at 5.15am on a Sunday. Now I may have just gotten massively lucky but, well, jaysis

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

You can always get onto the council about removing traffic lights as this is how they can make up a lot of their time against cars through the City. But i'm not too sure if that's a good way to go about it.

FYP

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

In fairness, you would actually find that same in most European cities, including onces with excellent public transport systems. For instance it is why so many people cycle in Amsterdam, despite them having excellent public transport. A combination of cheaper and faster.

Not saying we have good public transport, we don't, at least not yet. But even when we do, cycling will still likely be one of the fastest and cheapest ways to get around.

Thanks for your input.

FFS

Thanks for your input.

FFS

Your welcome...remember, If you cycle your guaranteed a seat! ;)

Your welcome...remember, If you cycle your guaranteed a seat! ;)

I'm usually guaranteed a seat. But the difficulty you would find cycling from Wellington Quay to Griffeen last night was that I had failed to cycle from Griffeen to the CC earlier in the morning. Woe is me.

I hate the cycle from where I live to the city. Always have always will. No amount of smart arse statements will make it anymore bearable.

I'm usually guaranteed a seat. But the difficulty you would find cycling from Wellington Quay to Griffeen last night was that I had failed to cycle from Griffeen to the CC earlier in the morning. Woe is me.

I hate the cycle from where I live to the city. Always have always will. No amount of smart arse statements will make it anymore bearable.

You hate cycling... that's ok.. stop moaning about standing room only and suck it up! It's public transport ... you pay to get from A to B..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭thomasj

This morning the traffic on quays was a nightmare.

Don't get me wrong, ormond onwards was fine but before that was a disaster even the bus struggled.

You hate cycling... that's ok.. stop moaning about standing room only and suck it up! It's public transport ... you pay to get from A to B..

They are also simply making the point that additional off-peak bus capacity is needed - I don't see a problem with that point.

There are many routes that need additional capacity.

Cycling doesn't suit everyone for a variety of reasons , and a little bit of understanding of that fact wouldn't be amiss.

LXFlyer wrote: »
    They are also simply making the point that additional off-peak bus capacity is needed - I don't see a problem with that?

Cycling doesn't suit everyone for a variety of reasons , and a little bit of understanding of that fact wouldn't be amiss.

Solution... remove the seats! ;) ( leave a few for OAP's/disabled)

Think about it...why not? Standing on buses is quite common. It would allow more room for people, kids buggies, shopping bags etc. Makes sense to me.

thomasj wrote: »
    This morning the traffic on quays was a nightmare.

Don't get me wrong, ormond onwards was fine but before that was a disaster even the bus struggled.

I found it OK around 08:00 this morning. Heavy but moving very well in the bus lane. What I did notice was that Beresford place was at a virtual standstill. Drivers who previously turned onto OCB from Bachelors walk, continuing on to the Matt Talbot and having to loop around the Custom House?

• Advertisement

Ben D Bus wrote: »
    I found it OK around 08:00 this morning. Heavy but moving very well in the bus lane. What I did notice was that Beresford place was at a virtual standstill. Drivers who previously turned onto OCB from Bachelors walk, continuing on to the Matt Talbot and having to loop around the Custom House?

While the Quays are freeing up the congestion is moving elsewhere.

Beresford Place is a traffic nightmare, full stop.

The SCR is becoming a traffic black spot (particularly between Leonard's Corner and Kelly's Corner) and is having also having a knock on effect on Rathmines Road Lower in the morning peak.

So while some bus routes have gained, others are now worse off.

Advertisement