Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tonight With Vincent Browne Thread v 4.0 (08/07/14 to date)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Vinny demands to know why his pet theory isn't in the report?

He's just an ignorant bollix. He does not know how to chair a discussion without taking sides.

I'm glad he's going.....he has become a parody of himself.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

• Registered Users Posts: 16,381 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

The minute I saw crybaby O Riordain was on I switched over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭Good loser

Roger_007 wrote: »
    Vinny demands to know why his pet theory isn't in the report?

He's just an ignorant bollix. He does not know how to chair a discussion without taking sides.

I'm glad he's going.....he has become a parody of himself.

Another absurd performance by Browne tonight.

He'e unbalanced as well as being outrageously biased as well as being innumerate as well as being a bully as well as being wrong about just about everything as well as indulging his dimwitted lackeys.

The sooner the better etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Well done Vincent Browne on a truly excellent interview with the rape survivor, Dominque Meehan - what a courageous young woman.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭mikeybrennan

Good interview alright

Vinnie misstepped midway but powerful stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭snipey

Well done Vincent Browne on a truly excellent interview with the rape survivor, Dominque Meehan - what a courageous young woman.

she was brave, Fair play to her,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Yes, he was extremely genuine and empathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭theglobe

The absolute cretins in here saying the sooner Vincent leaves the better. Entertainment and a reasonably interesting discussion every bloody night for 11 years. No one replaces Vincent and all those other dopes who fill in for him are boring as **** yet people here would rather they presented. The mind absolutely boggles.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,160 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

theglobe wrote: »
    The absolute cretins in here saying the sooner Vincent leaves the better. Entertainment and a reasonably interesting discussion every bloody night for 11 years. No one replaces Vincent and all those other dopes who fill in for him are boring as **** yet people here would rather they presented. The mind absolutely boggles.

The boy Browne was an absolute disaster,my friend.

Biased, arrogant, belligerent, unbalanced.

Anyone with a modicum of intelligence would have seen this.

Complete flapper, had an agenda and didn't give fair play.

Good riddance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭mikeybrennan

Was too biased and belligerent

Had his good points too-

-Barristers command of a subject

-Good Horsh1t detection

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭theglobe

Good riddance.

You must be a modicum of fun at parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Good riddance.
    I used to enjoy VB just for the fact that you got a good amount of entertainment during a good debate. However it quickly became unfunny when he packed the panel on his own side of the argument. Four against one was never a fair or convincing debate and it's been that way for years. VB became the master of populism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

theglobe wrote: »

Yup. He's disliked by the right kind of people: middle-aged right-wing men. It's the only Irish current affairs show that gives the left a fair hearing and allows any kind of leftist analysis of government policy. It's no wonder these boring old blowhards despise him.

RayM wrote: »
    Yup. He's disliked by the right kind of people: middle-aged right-wing men. It's the only Irish current affairs show that gives the left a fair hearing and allows any kind of leftist analysis of government policy. It's no wonder these boring old blowhards despise him.

I would consider myself a leftie but i despise one-sided debates.

I would consider myself a leftie but i despise one-sided debates.

I've seen/heard a far higher number of one-sided debates on Prime Time, The Week in Politics, and on RTE radio - i.e. one of the usual establishment hacks, chairing a panel of right/centre-right politicians and maybe a economist or someone from the Times or Independent. All very cosy.

Vincent Browne gives alternative voices and activists a fair hearing that they wouldn't otherwise get. It's the only time FF/FG/Labour (when they send representatives onto the show) face any kind of serious questioning on national television. The show's success is down to the fact that it offers something that RTE doesn't.

I've seen/heard a far higher number of one-sided debates on Prime Time, The Week in Politics, and on RTE radio - i.e. one of the usual establishment hacks, chairing a panel of right/centre-right politicians and maybe a economist or someone from the Times or Independent. All very cosy.

Vincent Browne gives alternative voices and activists a fair hearing that they wouldn't otherwise get. It's the only time FF/FG/Labour (when they send representatives onto the show) face any kind of serious questioning on national television. The show's success is down to the fact that it offers something that RTE doesn't.

I have no problem with any of that as long as it's not 4 against 1 as is often the case on VB. It just comes across as venting and not proper debate. I'm not saying that RTE doesn't do similar either. I just like a debate to be balanced so that you can hear both sides.

I have no problem with any of that as long as it's not 4 against 1 as is often the case on VB. It just comes across as venting and not proper debate. I'm not saying that RTE doesn't do similar either. I just like a debate to be balanced so that you can hear both sides.

I think the best thing about the show is that it isn't constrained by the idea of appearing balanced, and provides an alternative to the establishment consensus that RTE seeks to promote - which, more often than not, amounts to 4 against 0. There are a lot of voices and arguments out there that we wouldn't have heard a lot of without Vincent Browne (and I include right-wing economists like Peter Mathews and Constantin Gurdgiev in that).

One thing he is extremely good at is calling politicians (of all colours) out on any bullshitting or prevarication. Some might accuse him of using a "when did you stop beating your wife?" line of questioning, but more often than not, he's trying to prevent them from trotting out whatever meaningless rehearsed sound bite their PR people have prepped them with.

It troubles me when people say "good riddance" to Vincent Browne. It implies that they're far more comfortable listening to lazy regime hacks like Sean O'Rourke or Pat Kenny blindly accepting prepped answers to pre-agreed questions from the finance minister the morning after budget day. From what I've seen, these lads haven't got a modicum of intelligence between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭Good loser

I think the best thing about the show is that it isn't constrained by the idea of appearing balanced, and provides an alternative to the establishment consensus that RTE seeks to promote - which, more often than not, amounts to 4 against 0. There are a lot of voices and arguments out there that we wouldn't have heard a lot of without Vincent Browne (and I include right-wing economists like Peter Mathews and Constantin Gurdgiev in that).

One thing he is extremely good at is calling politicians (of all colours) out on any bullshitting or prevarication. Some might accuse him of using a "when did you stop beating your wife?" line of questioning, but more often than not, he's trying to prevent them from trotting out whatever meaningless rehearsed sound bite their PR people have prepped them with.

It troubles me when people say "good riddance" to Vincent Browne. It implies that they're far more comfortable listening to lazy regime hacks like Sean O'Rourke or Pat Kenny blindly accepting prepped answers to pre-agreed questions from the finance minister the morning after budget day. From what I've seen, these lads haven't got a modicum of intelligence between them.

I disagree completely. To me the guy is an obnoxious bully of limited intelligence and generally innumerate. Also,as Tayto says, his panels are ridiculously biased; the panelists toady up to him (laughing at his non-jokes) as do these 'twitter reporters' of late.

This past week or so he has been focusing on his favourite 'Big Themes' the latest being his pathetically absurd suggestions for 'new politics'.
    His departure from the scene should improve the standard of political debate no end.

Yes, the standard of political debate will definitely improve when FG/FF/Labour politicians no longer have to worry about being asked any awkward questions that their advisers haven't prepared them for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭maximus02

Good loser wrote: »
    I disagree completely. To me the guy is an obnoxious bully of limited intelligence and generally innumerate. Also,as Tayto says, his panels are ridiculously biased; the panelists toady up to him (laughing at his non-jokes) as do these 'twitter reporters' of late.

While VB and his guests are not in themselves always balanced, surely he presents an attempt to balance the right-wing drivel which RTE constantly shows.

In Prime Time the presenter ask the politician a question. The politician gives a completely different answer, unrelated to the question and the presenter then just moves on to another question.

At lease VB continue to ask his question until he gets an answer, although he sometimes has to give up!

• Registered Users Posts: 67,283 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Good loser wrote: »

This past week or so he has been focusing on his favourite 'Big Themes' the latest being his pathetically absurd suggestions for 'new politics'.
    His departure from the scene should improve the standard of political debate no end.

As opposed to FGs and FFs proposals/operation of New Politics?
    He was an important part of the 'debate' during his entire career.
    Imagine what would have been gotten away with in this country with out him and the very few others like him.
    Not really bothered that his style bothers some...so what?

I don't listen to RTE (Kenny or O'Rourke)at all except for the sport and that with the sound off usually(George Hamilton). VB to me can argue both sides of any debate just to get a fight going and that's bad journalism to me. RTE are biased. I remember Miriam "Sweetness" O'Callaghan giving Martin McGuinness a very hard time on the Presidential debate a few years ago and now we have VB doing the same thing whenever he decides, with loads of back-up, to some other politician.
    It's just not good tv or fair debate.

I don't listen to RTE (Kenny or O'Rourke)at all except for the sport and that with the sound off usually(George Hamilton). VB to me can argue both sides of any debate just to get a fight going and that's bad journalism to me. RTE are biased. I remember Miriam "Sweetness" O'Callaghan giving Martin McGuinness a very hard time on the Presidential debate a few years ago and now we have VB doing the same thing whenever he decides, with loads of back-up, to some other politician.
    It's just not good tv or fair debate.

I don't think I have a huge problem with any of the main political broadcasters, they all bring something to the mix, good and bad
    Good to read the bitching about a broadcaster who could make any politician uncomfortable, left or right.
    So much so that some cowered away from him.

I don't think I have a huge problem with any of the main political broadcasters, they all bring something to the mix, good and bad
    Good to read the bitching about a broadcaster who could make any politician uncomfortable, left or right.
    So much so that some cowered away from him.

Or saw him for what he was.

Or saw him for what he was.

He was a broadcaster not a political party. He took all to task,including the left, because I saw him do it. He had faults like every other broadcaster.

That he was left with the minnows of the ruling parties because the others couldn't hack the questions (some would say the real questions) speaks volumes, not about Browne though
    His round every constituency series was avoided by most of the FG party leadership, that was shameful arrogance IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Did Mick Wallace ever pay the tax he owed ?

He was a broadcaster not a political party. He took all to task,including the left, because I saw him do it. He had faults like every other broadcaster.

That he was left with the minnows of the ruling parties because the others couldn't hack the questions (some would say the real questions) speaks volumes, not about Browne though
    His round every constituency series was avoided by most of the FG party leadership, that was shameful arrogance IMO.
    I have no time for politicians of any hue or colour but in the last number of years when I watched VB I couldn't help but feel the entire show was a charade, a stacked deck. I got no satisfaction from seeing some poor gillie being sacrificed live on air by the others regardless of which party he belonged.

I have no time for politicians of any hue or colour but in the last number of years when I watched VB I couldn't help but feel the entire show was a charade, a stacked deck. I got no satisfaction from seeing some poor gillie being sacrificed live on air by the others regardless of which party he belonged.

The cut and thrust of political debate? The only people who got in trouble on VB were those who hadn't a leg to stand on. Exactly the way it should be actually.

I have time for politicians BTW, they are all we have.

For instance Mick Wallace has just asked why have so many Nama assets ended up in the hands of vulture funds?
    I for one have not heard that asked by anyone on RTE.
    *At time of posting: no answer from FG rep.

• Advertisement

The cut and thrust of political debate? The only people who got in trouble on VB were those who hadn't a leg to stand on. Exactly the way it should be actually.

I have time for politicians BTW, they are all we have.

For instance Mick Wallace has just asked why have so many Nama assets ended up in the hands of vulture funds?
    I for one have not heard that asked by anyone on RTE.
    *At time of posting: no answer from FG rep.

Mick Wallace owes the state millions himself so he's the wrong person to be asking, even if what he's asking is right.
    You cannot be a wee bit wrong and be ok to then ask about someone who's a large bit wrong.
    Wrong is wrong for me. Steal a penny, steal a pound as my granny used to say.
    That's the problem in this country with politicians of all parties. They complain about everyone elses garden while their own is just as dirty.
    Our standards are not high enough.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement