Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tonight With Vincent Browne Thread v 4.0 (08/07/14 to date)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,160 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Quite wrong imo. I have seen those from the left get a good grilling from Browne.

What sinks TWVB is the fact that our governing parties are afraid of him and will not take part.
    Which says a lot tbh.

Not at all Francie, you see Vinnie has a bit of form from back in the day when himself and Sean Ardagh used to be on the radio at 2200 .

Lovely gentle bit of joshing would start it off... Nod nod ...... wink wink kind of stuff all good friends and harmless banter between Vinnie and Sean supposedly on opposing sides!!

Then some poor stiff from the governing party would be wheeled in and Vinnie and Seanie would form a tag team and rip the poor hoor to shreds.

Totally unfair,like two magpies they were, one attacking the front and the other nipping round the back.

No one with a lick of sense would take on a stacked deck that set up there.

Completely unfair, no balance, that's his problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,282 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Not at all Francie, you see Vinnie has a bit of form from back in the day when himself and Sean Ardagh used to be on the radio at 2200 .

Lovely gentle bit of joshing would start it off... Nod nod ...... wink wink kind of stuff all good friends and harmless banter between Vinnie and Sean supposedly on opposing sides!!

Then some poor stiff from the governing party would be wheeled in and Vinnie and Seanie would form a tag team and rip the poor hoor to shreds.

Totally unfair,like two magpies they were, one attacking the front and the other nipping round the back.

No one with a lick of sense would take on a stacked deck that set up there.

Completely unfair, no balance, that's his problem.

That would mean nobody from the governing parties would come on the show. But they do, and the simple fact is the more power they had the more they avoided the show.

A bit like the cowardly actions of Theresa May tbh.

That would mean nobody from the governing parties would come on the show. But they do, and the simple fact is the more power they had the more they avoided the show.

A bit like the cowardly actions of Theresa May tbh.

Common sense to me Francie, come on the show and be treated unfairly-nah.

I doubt you would go on any show where you knew the 'form' .Be there as a patsy with no chance, up against a stacked deck?

No one with a lick o sense would put themselves in that position.

Common sense to me Francie, come on the show and be treated unfairly-nah.

I doubt you would go on any show where you knew the 'form' .Be there as a patsy with no chance, up against a stacked deck?

No one with a lick o sense would put themselves in that position.

I think you are like Enda et al, being over sensitive. Richard Boyd Barrett will get as much a grilling as Leo Varadkar.

But the absence of what can only be described as cowards is what ruined the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,381 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I think you are like Enda et al, being over sensitive. Richard Boyd Barrett will get as much a grilling as Leo Varadkar.

But the absence of what can only be described as cowards is what ruined the show.

No way does he go after the hard left like he does the other parties, Wallace could be torn asunder if he wanted to, failed property developer and tax dodger who hasn't a notion of paying back what he owes but that is never touched.

• Advertisement

No way does he go after the hard left like he does the other parties, Wallace could be torn asunder if he wanted to, failed property developer and tax dodger who hasn't a notion of paying back what he owes but that is never touched.

I have heard him make that very jibe many times.

I have heard him make that very jibe many times.

You won't have any problem finding a clip for me so to prove your point.

You won't have any problem finding a clip for me so to prove your point.

I will if you can prove that he attacks every single government rep that comes on anymore than he attacks the opinions of those on the left.

I think you have just proved what the problem is, he just won't ask again and again the questions you want asked of the left. I feel the same way about him and politicians from government too, sometimes he doesn't ask them the questions I want asked.

I will if you can prove that he attacks every single government rep that comes on anymore than he attacks the opinions of those on the left.

I think you have just proved what the problem is, he just won't ask again and again the questions you want asked of the left. I feel the same way about him and politicians from government too, sometimes he doesn't ask them the questions I want asked.

It's with another poster you were debating that, nothing to do with me, my point was he gives the left an easy ride not about attacking FG.

Just admit it, you won't be able to find any proof, it's ok we won't think any less of you.

The looney left couldn't handle any hard questions anyway, pathetic losers the lot of them.

It's with another poster you were debating that, nothing to do with me, my point was he gives the left an easy ride not about attacking FG.

Just admit it, you won't be able to find any proof, it's ok we won't think any less of you.

The looney left couldn't handle any hard questions anyway, pathetic losers the lot of them.

I don't think there is anyone who would suggest that Browne treats the left like the Govt. reps.

You are quite correct in that observation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭take everything

Serious clown from FG on tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Serious clown from FG on tonight.

He'd turn up at the opening of a bag of crisps. Serious career politician. Wetter than the Atlantic.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭curioser

1.618 wrote: »
    He'd turn up at the opening of a bag of crisps. Serious career politician. Wetter than the Atlantic.
    He's looking for Leo to give him a job, at the very least a Minister of State post. Going back a few years, Damien English used to go on the VB show regularly as a FG backbencher and duly got a MOS job, then Pascal O'Donoghue followed the same path as a backbencher and was rewarded with an even more elevated position, now Brophy thinks the sure fire way to promotion lies in appearing regularly on TWVB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

curioser wrote: »
    He's looking for Leo to give him a job, at the very least a Minister of State post. Going back a few years, Damien English used to go on the VB show regularly as a FG backbencher and duly got a MOS job, then Pascal O'Donoghue followed the same path as a backbencher and was rewarded with an even more elevated position, now Brophy thinks the sure fire way to promotion lies in appearing regularly on TWVB.

Not just Vin B. Was on Prime time last night and yes, was one of the 1st out of the traps to brown-nose Leo. As I say, pure career politician. A real go with flow sort of a bloke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

that's before you get to his hilariously bad hair-dye job

I think you just proved my point. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 81,699 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Vin finishing up this month, he will be missed...
    Fans of Vincent Browne's long-running political show have reacted with dismay to reports that he will soon sign off for the last time.

The journalist, who has presented TV3's late-night current affairs programme, Tonight With Vincent Browne, since 2007, will front his last show at the end of the month.

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-news/at-his-best-hes-irreplaceable-viewers-shocked-by-reports-vincent-browne-will-sign-off-for-last-time-35888167.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I'm guessing it was his choice. He bought the rights to Magill magazine recently, with the intention of relaunching it in some form (initially one-off-specials and online content).

I dread to think what TV3 will replace him with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

RayM wrote: »
    I'm guessing it was his choice. He bought the rights to Magill magazine recently, with the intention of relaunching it in some form (initially one-off-specials and online content).

I dread to think what TV3 will replace him with.

Bring back psychic play TV!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

I've really enjoyed Vincent over years but of late I feel the show has become very tired.

I think Ivan Yates could do a good job and his ratings would be decent. Apart from his Sunday show on Newstalk he doesn't appear to have too much happening work wise. He has already worked with TV3 so he's familiar with things in Ballymount. I reckon he could be a contender.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,699 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Wonder will Enda Kenny make an appearance for the last show?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

I've really enjoyed Vincent over years but of late I feel the show has become very tired.

I think Ivan Yates could do a good job and his ratings would be decent. Apart from his Sunday show on Newstalk he doesn't appear to have too much happening work wise. He has already worked with TV3 so he's familiar with things in Ballymount. I reckon he could be a contender.

If Yates took over, what would the looney lefties do. Vinny indulged them to an unhealthy extent. Yates wouldn't be so indulgent.

Roger_007 wrote: »
    If Yates took over, what would the looney lefties do. Vinny indulged them to an unhealthy extent. Yates wouldn't be so indulgent.

Can we not have one show that gives left-wing politics a fair crack of the whip? One show with a presenter who isn't afraid to disagree with a hard-right financial investor like Peter Brown, who tries to claim that people earning €80k are the "squeezed middle". It's not a lot to ask for.

Yates is a boorish, over-confident dullard. I'd like to see someone like Justine McCarthy take over.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Nah. Sam Smyth is yer only man.

Well done Ray, I laughed at loud when I read your tweets.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

RayM wrote: »
    Can we not have one show that gives left-wing politics a fair crack of the whip? One show with a presenter who isn't afraid to disagree with a hard-right financial investor like Peter Brown, who tries to claim that people earning €80k are the "squeezed middle". It's not a lot to ask for.

Even better when he was trying to justify it.

Initially he was saying that if you're paying excessive rent a huge chunk of your salary would be used up, which is fair enough. He then went on to say that if you were putting 2 children through private school it would result in pretty much most of your salary being used up! Like wtf?! What a sense of entitlement. You cut your cloth to suit your means.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 weary_salesman

your post earlier RAY M must be intended to be ironic

the left ( and the far left which vinnie has on every night ) get a vastly disproportionate level of airtime in this country relative to their electoral strength

richard boyd barrett was a household name in the media before he even got elected to the local council , never mind as a TD in 2011 for the first time , between marxists academics like ciaran allen or various poverty industry hacks , the left is vastly overrepresented in the media

it would be refreshing if perhaps tv 3 done a 180 and gave the show to a libertarian who admonished the goverment nightly for spending too much of tax payers money , is marc coleman still working ? , there isnt a single small goverment advocate in the irish media

• Advertisement

That Justine McCarthy is very hard to listen to, the annoying posh accent and her bleeding heart leftie ideas.

Of course The Irish Times readers love her no doubt, another crowd I despise.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement