Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tonight With Vincent Browne Thread v 4.0 (08/07/14 to date)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Good loser

Browne is a pathetic, narrow minded host - determined that we'll hear his opinions above all others. Outrageously biased he will lap up any kind of drivel from Brid Smith and her fellow travellers.

Notice how all these 'tweeting reporters' select and dish up self serving rubbish that panders to his biases/prejudices. I guess otherwise they wouldn't be heard of again - a la Fionnan Sheehan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

And support for same sex marriage has got nothing to do with right, left or central politics. The majority of people who voted for it were from all types of backgrounds. :cool:

Exactly, the only people in this country who opposed it were far-right headbangers like the Iona Institute, etc. And the referendum would never have happened without Labour forcing Fine Gael into it - One of the few decent things they did in government.

Vincent Browne's great. He annoys the right kind of people...

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Walter E GO

RayM wrote: »
    Vincent Browne's great. He annoys the right kind of people...

Lol, True, see Good Losers quote above. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,510 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Varadkar was clearly talking about people who go out every day to work and pay their taxes, something lefties and the people who will never work a day in their life don't want to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

For the political anoraks out there like myself :o FG will be streaming the first of four of the FG leaderships debates at 8pm this evening on their website.

https://www.finegael.ie/leadership-campaign-2017/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Walter E GO

Varadkar was clearly talking about people who go out every day to work and pay their taxes, something lefties and the people who will never work a day in their life don't want to hear.
    I've been lucky enough to be in employment for the last 25 years. But if i ever, god forbid, lost my job, i don't want the likes of you and other right wing nutters judging me as i claim the dole. You have no empathy. You'd deem us all as scum. Life isn't all as black and white as you'd like to think. :cool:

Last Friday, our two Clare Fine Gael TDs - Joe Carey & Pat Breen were like two nodding puppies beside Simon Coveney during a press conference in Clare. By midnight both TDs had declared for Leo as soon as Simon had safely exited the county.

In this week's Clare Champion Newspaper, the eight sitting Fine Gael county councillors were asked who they would be supporting in the leadership contest. So far, no one has declared for Leo, with the majority leaning towards Simon, as Clare is a rural constituency it's probably not that surprising. However, it would appear our two TDs are out of touch with the FG grassroots, but it wouldn't be the first time.

Cllr Pat Burke - still undecided
    Cllr Joe Cooney - Simon Coveney
    Cllr John Crowe - still undecided
    Cllr Johnny Flynn - Undeclared but 'I've a strong leaning towards Simon Coveney'
    Cllr Mary Howard - Simon Coveney
    Cllr Gabriel Keating - Undeclared 'At the moment I'd have a leaning towards Simon Coveney'
    Cllr Paul Murphy - Simon Coveney
    Cllr Bill Slattery - Undeclared

So guys, who do ye think won the first debate?

I felt Simon played a blinder, his opening speech was much stronger than Leo's (IMO).

I've been lucky enough to be in employment for the last 25 years. But if i ever, god forbid, lost my job, i don't want the likes of you and other right wing nutters judging me as i claim the dole. You have no empathy. You'd deem us all as scum. Life isn't all as black and white as you'd like to think. :cool:

Theres a big difference between someone who lost their job through no fault of their own and someone who doesn't want to work which is why in my original post I was quite specific about when I mentioned people who will never work in their lives.

Also it seems to be ok on this forum for lefties to call people in the right nutters but if the shoe was on the other foot the ban hammer would be out in force.

I feel that Simon addressed this issue well last night, he wants to investigate the reasons why some people choose not to work. It could be down to issues like the cost of childcare doesn't make it a feasible option.

I feel the government need to start offering a childcare tax credit for people paying for childcare for young children (under 5). It should end when the child starts school.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 bubsy

A bit of confusion here. Unemployment benefits you have paid for yourself. The dole other people have paid for.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I feel that Simon addressed this issue well last night, he wants to investigate the reasons why some people choose not to work. It could be down to issues like the cost of childcare doesn't make it a feasible option.

I feel the government need to start offering a childcare tax credit for people paying for childcare for young children (under 5). It should end when the child starts school.

The male in the family should still work.
    I know a load of men who have never worked a day. That should not be allowed.

I was explaining why some families only have one earner.

With respect, I feel your view is out of date, I know many women who are the main earners.

Nowadays, it's not terribly unusual for men to choose to take on the role of caring for their children in the home while their partner continues in paid employment.

25 years ago an Uncle of mine left his construction job to rear his four children (due to the cost of childcare) and to build his own house in the country. His wife was in a well paid profession so she continued to climb the career ladder and he returned to work as soon as the last child started school. It worked out very well for them but I remember there were men in the locality who used to give my Uncle awful stick.

Thankfully times have changed....

I know men who have never worked and it's nothing to do with childcare. They're just lazy freeloaders on the state who should be made do something to earn their dole.

I agree with that but we need to look at the barriers to entry.

There is definitely a cohort who didn't attend school or only attended occasionally - I'm sure as adults now, some of these people would like to work but some have serious literacy issues. I think the government were very wrong to cut funding/ discontinue many CE schemes as they gave many disadvantaged communities a way back to employment or into employment for the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,280 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

I know men who have never worked and it's nothing to do with childcare. They're just lazy freeloaders on the state who should be made do something to earn their dole.

It's a fair point, but I would disagree somewhat.

Quit a large percentage are not lazy freeloaders, they have put their energies into 'beating the system' and know all the nuances, trick of the trade, loopholes inside out.

They tend to 'Gunter ' around the sides of the envelope doing 'this & that' the bit here the bit there always under the radar and always trusting that they won't be shopped because they are 'great community people , manage the under 11s, and all that stuff.

Don't make the mistake that they are just lazy freeloaders I would advise.

The Indo carried a report this morning that Leo Varadkar turned down an opportunity to remain in his position as Minister for Health.

Leo Varadkar turned down an offer from Taoiseach Enda Kenny to remain in the Department of Health, the Irish Independent has learned.

Mr Kenny has told colleagues privately that he asked the leadership frontrunner to continue on as health minister but he refused.

This forced the Taoiseach to offer the job to Simon Harris, who was initially set to take charge of the Department of Social Protection.

If this is true, I feel serious questions need to be asked of Dr. Leo Varadkar, if he was unable to stick the heat as Minister for Health surely he is not going to be able for the challenges and commitments that the Taoiseach's office will present. This sort of explains why Varadkar's predecessor and successor in Health - James Reilly and Simon Harris have been critiical of him and why they are so firmly in the Coveney camp.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/leo-varadkar-turned-down-chance-to-remain-in-health-leaving-kenny-scrambling-35765114.html

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

The Minister for Health is the worst job in the country. You can do the square root of feck all to help a very dysfunctional system and get all the blame for the system not working in the first place.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    The Minister for Health is the worst job in the country. You can do the square root of feck all to help a very dysfunctional system and get all the blame for the system not working in the first place.

It's totally unworkable.

Vested interests who despite putting out that they are open to change will not budge.

Union ridden and run by union leaders who want to screw the taxpayer for every cent they can.

Black hole for taxpayers money with zero improvement.

That said, some fantastic work being done there.

Nobody seems to be able to get a handle on it.

Very well run programme tonight.

• Advertisement

This programme has ran its course. No balance at all and not just tonight.
    That's my last time tuning in to this rubbish.

I thought last night was very balanced, much better than when Vincent is on the job!

Gave up on it long ago Tayto, complete rubbish, just churned out Vinnies agenda.

Stacked deck, no balance, bit like bear baiting.

Nah!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭take everything

Sarah McInerney doing a decent job.
    Making a fool of Michelle Mulherrin. Not difficult to do but she can't answer any of her questions.

Don't watch it much anymore but I'm glad I did last night, seeing Brid Snith and her pathetic arguments torn to pieces by that guy with the glasses was priceless.

Like all the hard left fools she gets an easy time of it when Vinnie is on, not so last night.

Don't watch it much anymore but I'm glad I did last night, seeing Brid Snith and her pathetic arguments torn to pieces by that guy with the glasses was priceless.

Like all the hard left fools she gets an easy time of it when Vinnie is on, not so last night.

Good, might watch it on the player.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Good loser

Good, might watch it on the player.

Is it still available on the Player?

They were on about this Muslim radical who spent time on Ireland last night, one guest was some nobody from the migrant rights council and all she was able to do was bladder on about how racist the Irish were.

Fair play to Sarah McInerney, she kept at her to answer what should be done about radicals living among us, "community policing" and "dialogue" was the eventual answer.

These leftie gobsh1tes have gotten an easy ride for too long with Vinney, that's the reason they all appear so regularly.

It's time for him to pack it in and let someone else take over or else the show is finished.

They were on about this Muslim radical who spent time on Ireland last night, one guest was some nobody from the migrant rights council and all she was able to do was bladder on about how racist the Irish were.

Fair play to Sarah McInerney, she kept at her to answer what should be done about radicals living among us, "community policing" and "dialogue" was the eventual answer.

These leftie gobsh1tes have gotten an easy ride for too long with Vinney, that's the reason they all appear so regularly.

It's time for him to pack it in and let someone else take over or else the show is finished.

Browne is like Odlum's Flour- never varies.

Every leftie gets a free ride, never nailed down ,just indulged.

Time to go, I'm afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,160 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Browne is like Odlum's Flour- never varies.

Every leftie gets a free ride, never nailed down ,just indulged.

Time to go, I'm afraid.

Quite wrong imo. I have seen those from the left get a good grilling from Browne.

What sinks TWVB is the fact that our governing parties are afraid of him and will not take part.
    Which says a lot tbh.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement