Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Ryanair * Ryanair * Ryanair *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,017 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

JCX BXC wrote: »
    The touchdown of the aircraft was hardly enough to wake this yoke up, say he had a few relaxing drinks before the flight, I could smell them anyway.

Did you enjoy your AA Convention on The Costa?

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

Apart altogether from the pros and cons of sitting alone or with friends and family, did no one notice the feeble responses of ryr to the IT piece?

"policy since 2014"

"more people travelling"

I don't recall not having side by side since 2014 and have never paid ryr for a seat. We'll see next time....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,131 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Did you enjoy your AA Convention on The Costa?

At least if I had went to the Costa I'd have had a shorter flight ;)

In all seriousness though, my point being it is not ideal to be sitting away from your companions. Yes you can always be sitting beside strangers but there's a slight difference between being beside one of your travelling companions and then then being the other side of the plane.

Travelling by yourself? No problem? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭p15574

Especially in the case of an emergency. We've seen in the U.S. where idiots insisted on retrieving their baggage before evacuating. How much worse would it be if people are trying to make their way backwards and forwards to ensure loved ones get out? It would be absolute chaos, and could lead to loss of life. I think this new strategy should be banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭Kat1170

p15574 wrote: »
    Especially in the case of an emergency. We've seen in the U.S. where idiots insisted on retrieving their baggage before evacuating. How much worse would it be if people are trying to make their way backwards and forwards to ensure loved ones get out? It would be absolute chaos, and could lead to loss of life. I think this new strategy should be banned.

Over reaction, Much ?????? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

What happens if there is a party of twenty on board. NOBODY OFF UNTIL MY PARTY IS ALL TOGETHER AND ACCOUNTED FOR !!!!!!

I don't think you are cut out for air travel :cool::cool:

a646c45633cfab95a2aaf727480883aba7de652148fb3601db61853a62d3b3da.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭dermiestv

+1
    Very mean-spirited and retrograde step when they could recoup the revenue elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

ED E wrote: »
    Nobodys stopping you from paying 1.5-3x for the same flight with Aer Lingus.

Or the extra €2 to book a seat

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭p15574

MOH wrote: »
    Or the extra ?2 to book a seat

But what if you do pay the extra to sit with your companion, and there's an emergency, and there's dozens of other people who didn't, trying to check on an elderly parent or teenage children or disabled wife, all blocking aisles with traffic going in all directions? It only takes one couple going in the wrong directions to clog up the aisle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭Kat1170

We'd all be a lot safer if a large number of people that post here took the ferry ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭mattser

Did a 4 day check in today for the UK. She's in 10B and I'm 21B. No probs for going to UK. If travelling 3 or 4 hours I'll pay extra for seats.
    In all fairness though, it is fairly ****ty for those with kids/elderly etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭joeysoap

mattser wrote: »
    Did a 4 day check in today for the UK. She's in 10B and I'm 21B. No probs for going to UK. If travelling 3 or 4 hours I'll pay extra for seats.

Out of curiosity did you check to see if 10a, 10c, 21a or 21c are still available?

I know of people buying seats who always buy a and c or d and f in the hope that the flight isn't full and they get 3 seats for the price of 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,028 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Did you check what was free before you checked in?

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

joeysoap wrote: »
    Out of curiosity did you check to see if 10a, 10c, 21a or 21c are still available?

I know of people buying seats who always buy a and c or d and f in the hope that the flight isn't full and they get 3 seats for the price of 2.

The trouble with that under the new system is that middle seats are all allocated first, so there's definitely going to be someone for that centre seat. Whether they stay in it or not is another story :pac:

Also, if you try and buy one seat beside your partner on the same booking AFTER check-in, you'll still get charged for two seats. I'm thinking that the best option now is to make two separate bookings for each person from the get-go and check in one at a time. If you are lucky enough, you'll be able to choose and pay for just one seat beside the one allocated 'free' to your companion.

joeysoap wrote: »

Did you check what was free before you checked in?

No, didn't bother, seeing as I wasn't going to pay anyway. I'm sure there are still seats together though, as others above have been saying.

No, didn't bother, seeing as I wasn't going to pay anyway. I'm sure there are still seats together though, as others above have been saying.

I always check before I check in as then I can see if there are seats together. If there is a chance of middle seats and split across the plane and still plenty of seats, I will check in later. It has successfully worked for a family of 4 for about 30 flights now and I have never paid for any seat. Might have to change approach if Ryanair have changed it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

testicles wrote: »

Seems so, will see when I am flying next month to Dublin

Own goal blunder after working so hard to improve perceptions.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/hundreds-come-forward-to-complain-about-ryanair-seat-allocation-1.3112748

On safety grounds alone, they should revert to common sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

Yes, anything that gets us an even limited one up is worth considering.

Mind you, we took our chances last Tuesday on a Ryanair flight with 'free' seats (both middles) and managed to slip around the plane to get an aisle and a window seat with an empty one between us that someone else had vacated. Never happened before in all the years we've been flying. It was the most comfortable cheap flight we've ever had, especially as the plane had those new seats too. Loadsa room all round!

So thank you, Ryanair, for the pleasure - probably not be as lucky again but hey, I'll take it even once!

• Advertisement

RoYoBo wrote: »
    Yes, anything that gets us an even limited one up is worth considering.

Mind you, we took our chances last Tuesday on a Ryanair flight with 'free' seats (both middles) and managed to slip around the plane to get an aisle and a window seat with an empty one between us that someone else had vacated. Never happened before in all the years we've been flying. It was the most comfortable cheap flight we've ever had, especially as the plane had those new seats too. Loadsa room all round!

So thank you, Ryanair, for the pleasure - probably not be as lucky again but hey, I'll take it even once!

Nice one. :D

p15574 wrote: »
    But what if you do pay the extra to sit with your companion, and there's an emergency, and there's dozens of other people who didn't, trying to check on an elderly parent or teenage children or disabled wife, all blocking aisles with traffic going in all directions? It only takes one couple going in the wrong directions to clog up the aisle.

Maybe they'll spend their final moments thinking about how much they actually care about their elderly parent, or teenage child, or disabled wife, and wishing they hadn't been too tight to spend a few quid extra to sit beside them.

Anyone who's travelling with a vulnerable person and relies on chance when they could have done something pretty basic to ensure they're sitting beside them probably shouldn't have that person in their care.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 board_walker

If you books seats for any kind of event you don't pay extra to be seated beside your companions so why should airlines be allowed to impose these extra charges. Its time that there was legislation brought in to outlaw this practice and make the true cost of the flights transparent. It should be no problem for airlines to allocate seats at the time of booking.

If you books seats for any kind of event you don't pay extra to be seated beside your companions so why should airlines be allowed to impose these extra charges. Its time that there was legislation brought in to outlaw this practice and make the true cost of the flights transparent. It should be no problem for airlines to allocate seats at the time of booking.

Seriously, legislation? Of all the things that need to he legislatied that can be put in the fantasy pile.

It's transparent, you don't need to pay for your seat. I've been scattered all over an Aer Lingus flight before because I checked in at the airport.

If people get very pissed off and stop flying Ryanair or they get very bad publicity, I'm sure they'll change, if not, they won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 board_walker

If you remember some years ago Ryanair gave a price for a flight but when you went to book it there was taxes, check in fees, debit card fees added .This was outlawed and they were forced to show the full price before booking.

If you remember some years ago Ryanair gave a price for a flight but when you went to book it there was taxes, check in fees, debit card fees added .This was outlawed and they were forced to show the full price before booking.

Because they were non optional fees, this is an optional fee.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Because they were non optional fees, this is an optional fee.

Some of them were notionally optional, if you did such things as buying gift cards and hoping the flight price didn't go up.

I can easily see this nonsense getting banned soon too. Its pretty obvious they were planning to bring this in very gradually and made a mistake

L1011 wrote: »
    Some of them were notionally optional, if you did such things as buying gift cards and hoping the flight price didn't go up.

I can easily see this nonsense getting banned soon too. Its pretty obvious they were planning to bring this in very gradually and made a mistake

I can't see it getting banned, there's nothing wrong with it. The price quoted is the price of the flight. If you want something extra, that's extra.

I think it's pretty obvious when they initially brought in charges for seat selection they mistakenly assumed that people who wanted/needed to sit together would pay the extra couple of euro to do so. They failed to account for the vast numbers of people who were too cheap to do so, but assumed they'd still be seated together anyway, and then would start complaining if they weren't and insisting they had to sit beside their kids.
    They've now realised they're not getting the expected revenue from seat reservations and have drastically cut the probability of sitting together without paying for it.

Whatever revenue increase they're looking for is going to come from somewhere, either a base price hike, and increase in baggage fees, some new charge. Increasing the revenue from an existing charge that was always in place but people were avoiding is probably the least drastic thing they could do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭joeysoap

I think despite the publicity :) this is here to stay. Passengers will pay for seats if they want to sit together, maybe not to UK as much as Europe. The half price seats will also become a distant memory in a few years (these are only there to get passengers 'kick started' in the area of actually buying a seat).

Advertisement